PDA

View Full Version : NZTA approved route for Porirua? (CBTA full licence assessment)

pigman
4th March 2016, 14:25
Hi
has anyone done the CBTA full licence assessment in Porirua? Can you remember the route?
Because the route needs to be approved by NZTA, I'm hoping there is one route only and I can ride it and prepare for the assessment.

cheers!

Akzle
4th March 2016, 14:46
doesn't the "c" in cbta stand for competent?

Which, you either are. Or not.

pigman
4th March 2016, 16:02

uhhg:moon: , gawd help us

WNJ
4th March 2016, 16:06
Shouldn't matter the route imo, you should be able to ride anywhere comfortably, unless the test route is the only route you ever ride, :facepalm:

RGVforme
4th March 2016, 17:19

Lol...Competent bikers test assessment does have a nice ring to it.:bleh:

I guess riding the route first would have some advantage....But agree you should focus on riding everywhere to get your skill set up and in case they throw you a curly one on the day.

These courses look like they provide lots of info along the way to help you learn/pass anyway and lets face it there are only so many different types of intersections corners and environments they can throw at you that you will have to face some time anyway and you already know where the course starts from.:msn-wink:

Akzle
4th March 2016, 17:59
Lol...Competent bikers test assessment does have a nice ring to it.:bleh:

I guess riding the route first would have some advantage....But agree you should focus on riding everywhere to get your skill set up and in case they throw you a curly one on the day.

These courses look like they provide lots of info along the way to help you learn/pass anyway and lets face it there are only so many different types of intersections corners and environments they can throw at you that you will have to face some time anyway and you already know where the course starts from.:msn-wink:

i have been given to understand it stood for "competency based training assessment"

either way. You a) should be on the road or b) not.

Given how many fuckwits are out there, it cant be that hard.

RGVforme
4th March 2016, 18:57
i have been given to understand it stood for "competency based training assessment"

either way. You a) should be on the road or b) not.

Given how many fuckwits are out there, it cant be that hard.

Both statements ring true.....

Taking into account the short amount of time the CBTA courses have been about in the scale of things a lot of said fuckwits slipped though the cracks under the old system I imagine.:niceone:

Stonecold
4th March 2016, 20:16
I live in Porirua so I know the area, but I did my licence the normal route, not CBTA. The skills they will test for are the same everywhere. Intersections, lane changes, u-turns, situational awareness, lane positioning, head checks, emergency braking. I am willing to ride the area with you to practice if you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pigman
5th March 2016, 08:15
I live in Porirua so I know the area, but I did my licence the normal route, not CBTA. The skills they will test for are the same everywhere. Intersections, lane changes, u-turns, situational awareness, lane positioning, head checks, emergency braking. I am willing to ride the area with you to practice if you want?

thanks for the offer, I think I'll do the pre-assessment course/ride with the instructor before the test. The test itself is $170 , I do not want to have to pay it twice.:sweatdrop

Stonecold
5th March 2016, 09:02
That's cool, the offer stands. Anytime :-)

pigman
16th March 2016, 11:25
I failed the assessment for speeding :crybaby: I blame it on the heavy traffic, I went with the flow.
The instructor asked me what course I did to prepare, when I said I did not do any he said there is only a 50% chance of passing.
I commute 40km every day, rain or shine so I thought I had a good chance of passing.

Drew
16th March 2016, 16:33
You blame other people, for you not knowing how fast you were going?

Guess that answers Rob's question. B. Not.

Tazz
16th March 2016, 17:03
Why didn't you end up doing the training first like you had planned out of interest?

100% chance of failing if you speed, not 50% :laugh:

eldog
16th March 2016, 17:09
Doing the test - follow the road code.

If the rest of the traffic is too fast, then stop and wait till it settles.

Cant fail you for that. There is no time limit within reason.

I got caught in a lot of school traffic on a test and I couldn't proceed, no worries.

On my test, was asked several times what my speed was.

Must have been ok as I passed the test.

See if you 'know' what speed you are doing without looking at the speedo.
Its a handy skill.

Practise, observation, hill starts, 3 point or no point turns, try and find a quiet narrow street or area.

rastuscat
16th March 2016, 17:20
Right or wrong, here's the standard.

If you exceed any limit by more than 10 kmh, fail.

If you exceed any limit by more than 5 kmh for longer than 5 seconds, fail.

If you had done a Ride Forever course, you would have known that.

Akzle
16th March 2016, 18:10

you do it differently down there. or its changed.
last time I cared for licensing i was told "we're not the police, there is no 'tolerance' for speeding" (FYI i was apparently competent enough to get said license....

...then i realised it was a crock of shit and threw it out, haven't used it since)

rastuscat
16th March 2016, 19:20
you do it differently down there. or its changed.
last time I cared for licensing i was told "we're not the police, there is no 'tolerance' for speeding" (FYI i was apparently competent enough to get said license....

...then i realised it was a crock of shit and threw it out, haven't used it since)

Hey AZ Kill

It's the standard. I recently did the training course.

Standards get applied differently by different examiners, but it's still the standard.

TheDemonLord
16th March 2016, 19:25
Pretty much echoing what Rastus said.

The guidelines for the CBTA are easily available online. I read them and made some mental notes before I took both my restricted and full both with the excellent Dawn (QkChick) from RiderTraining.co.nz (plug plug plug).

I too commute daily and didn't take any form of extra course prior - and I passed.

If you had done your homework properly, and stuck to the rules, you would have passed.

Mike.Gayner
16th March 2016, 19:32
The instructor asked me what course I did to prepare, when I said I did not do any he said there is only a 50% chance of passing.

Yeah, you answered wrong. These instructors all sell courses - they want you to do their $200 course before you sit the test. You should have told him you already did the course in another city (e.g. not with one of his competitors).

RGVforme
16th March 2016, 20:12
I failed the assessment for speeding :crybaby: I blame it on the heavy traffic, I went with the flow.
I commute 40km every day, rain or shine so I thought I had a good chance of passing.

Prob just as well it was a fail and it may have just saved your life.....I would not be happy to ride out with a fellow rider if he made the above statements to me before we left.

May I suggest a CBTA course and a little less blame on others for your actions and FYI they do like you to stick to the road rules during the testing.$20 may save you yet another $170.

No Pre riding the route/trick/backdoor/cheat/easy way for this one little buddy you got to do the work sorry.;)

rastuscat
16th March 2016, 22:11
Yeah, you answered wrong. These instructors all sell courses - they want you to do their $200 course before you sit the test. You should have told him you already did the course in another city (e.g. not with one of his competitors).

Or a $20 course heavily subsidised by ACC.

Haters gonna hate, but that's value for money, right there.

Mike.Gayner
17th March 2016, 06:00
Or a $20 course heavily subsidised by ACC.

Haters gonna hate, but that's value for money, right there.

I mentioned that course to a guy who runs CBTA here in Tauranga and he started having a minor stroke about how that whole thing is corrupt and he wasn't given a chance to tender etc etc. Not all CBTA instructors are fully supportive of the ACC courses, and some feel it's cutting their lunch (which it is, and which it should).

Akzle
17th March 2016, 06:01
uhhg:moon: , gawd help us

no son, gawd help YOU.

pigman
17th March 2016, 10:11
Why didn't you end up doing the training first like you had planned out of interest?

100% chance of failing if you speed, not 50% :laugh:

I should have, I thought I'd have about 70% chance of passing. I was also not aware that I was speeding, I was surprised when the inxructor informed me of this. Anyway I'm doing the "silver" course tomorrow.

Tazz
17th March 2016, 10:32
I should have, I thought I'd have about 70% chance of passing. I was also not aware that I was speeding, I was surprised when the inxructor informed me of this. Anyway I'm doing the "silver" course tomorrow.

It's a pain. The same people giving you shit about it would probably also complain when getting ticketed for bring 4km over the limit with the argument that it is difficult to stick to it without fluctuating a bit above and below during day to day riding/driving.

That said, if you were sitting there over 100 for a good length of time, on a license test and didn't notice, the training and focusing on being a bit more aware of what you and your bike are doing can't hurt. Common sense would say next time around you should aim to stick to doing about 5km under for the test ;)

Good luck with the training and next test anyway dude. You'll get there.

pigman
17th March 2016, 10:49
It's a pain. The same people giving you shit about it would probably also complain when getting ticketed for bring 4km over the limit with the argument that it is difficult to stick to it without fluctuating a bit above and below during day to day riding/driving.

That said, if you were sitting there over 100 for a good length of time, on a license test and didn't notice, the training and focusing on being a bit more aware of what you and your bike are doing can't hurt. Common sense would say next time around you should aim to stick to doing about 5km under for the test ;)

Good luck with the training and next test anyway dude. You'll get there.

thanks for the support.
I did not go above 100, I got caught out where the speed limit changed from 50 to 100, i sped up about 20m before the 100 sign and did not slow down fast enough when it went from 100 to 50.

TheDemonLord
17th March 2016, 11:58
thanks for the support.
I did not go above 100, I got caught out where the speed limit changed from 50 to 100, i sped up about 20m before the 100 sign and did not slow down fast enough when it went from 100 to 50.

So, in other words - your riding and judgement is sloppy.

Learn from this, practice and then re-take the test.

RGVforme
17th March 2016, 12:05
no son, gawd help YOU.

Ohhhh nice historical burn :nya:

local
17th March 2016, 18:22
If you're competent, staying at or below the speed limit should be the most difficult part of the test.

Not knowing to stick to the limits, and not knowing your own speed, is fairly damning.

rambaldi
17th March 2016, 18:32

If you did a decent Ride Forever course... I feel (and maybe this is wrong) that some of the providers have worked out how to make some money off the courses, and are just pushing riders to take more and more courses. The courses aren't necessarily helping the riders as much as they can. Yeah they are only $20/$50 but for the amount of time put in I didn't get enough out.

That is why when I finally have some time I am going to a separate training provider for some 1 on 1 stuff before going for my restricted.

nzspokes
17th March 2016, 18:36
If you did a decent Ride Forever course... I feel (and maybe this is wrong) that some of the providers have worked out how to make some money off the courses, and are just pushing riders to take more and more courses. The courses aren't necessarily helping the riders as much as they can. Yeah they are only $20/$50 but for the amount of time put in I didn't get enough out.

That is why when I finally have some time I am going to a separate training provider for some 1 on 1 stuff before going for my restricted.

Yerp, guess what? The cheapest is not always the best. Some great trainers in Auck. My call is Phillip from Riderskills is the best.

RGVforme
17th March 2016, 18:53
thanks for the support.

Sounds like the type of bad habits you would get from commuting with the flow if traffic twice a day...Hmmmm.

rambaldi
17th March 2016, 18:53
Yerp, guess what? The cheapest is not always the best. Some great trainers in Auck. My call is Phillip from Riderskills is the best.

Agreed. I thought as ACC was covering the instructors time they would ensure a certain standard...

Mike.Gayner
17th March 2016, 19:06
Agreed. I thought as ACC was covering the instructors time they would ensure a certain standard...

You're assuming government is good at accountability.

RGVforme
17th March 2016, 19:07

I suspect they do....Just not your standard.

You did one course.This does not mean all courses are run this way.

Your trying to paint a large wall with a huge brush and f**k all paint.

Truth is these courses didn't even exist a few years ago so $20 or $200 any rider training is good training.

nzspokes
17th March 2016, 19:11
Truth is these courses didn't even exist a few years ago so $20 or $200 any rider training is good training.

Yes they did. In 2011 and 2012 I did ACC sponsored courses. Both were $50 from memory and one of them was 3 hours one on one. That course changed how I ride.

Both were excellent. Neither do it now for the ACC.

RGVforme
17th March 2016, 19:16
Yes they did. In 2011 and 2012 I did ACC sponsored courses. Both were $50 from memory and one of them was 3 hours one on one. That course changed how I ride.

Both were excellent. Neither do it now for the ACC.

Oh nzspokes so literal with the term "few years".....:msn-wink:

rambaldi
17th March 2016, 19:29
You're assuming government is good at accountability.

Maybe not accounting but the licensing people seem to be good at check boxes...

I suspect they do....Just not your standard.

You did one course.This does not mean all courses are run this way.

Your trying to paint a large wall with a huge brush and f**k all paint.

Yes. I only did one course, and it was with only one instructor. There are people out there (rastuscat strikes me as one) who are involved in the training scheme who provide their students with good value for time and money. But there are also people out there who have worked out how to get on the gravy train, and are churning out instructors and courses where the students don't get all they should.

I am involved-ish in the dive industry and it is hugely obvious there, both internationally and in New Zealand (although the ATO stuff has changed that a bit), that certain places have worked out how to meet the minimums and not give their students all they can and should.

I didn't realise prior to the course that that was the situation for the provider I went through. It is probably different with other instructors they have, and very likely to be different with other companies. It felt like they were just selling me the Silver course, and with no guarantee that that instruction would be any better.

Hey, it is only $20. If you have the time, I still say go for it. Just know ahead of time what you might be getting. But if you are like me and have limited time, there are better avenues for assistance with your riding. Places where it is more obvious what the company and the market value the instructors time at.

Stonecold
23rd March 2016, 17:55
Best solution to the speeding issue is to ride one or two gears down from normal. So do your test in 2nd max 3rd gear. The moment you hit 4th there is no way to stay under 50. Works in real life too!:-)

Still happy to ride with you anytime.

Stonecold
23rd March 2016, 18:00
I highly recommend 2 Bald Bikers in Wainuomata. Ross took me on my golf course; best 8 hours I ever got for $50. One on one, with a permanent Bluetooth connection between us, but I was lucky. Highly recommended.

Stonecold
23rd March 2016, 18:00
Golf = gold. GOLD, damn autocorrect

Akzle
23rd March 2016, 18:37
But if you are like me and have limited time,

wouldnt worry about this guy. He has time to spare for such gaieties as failing tests and praying to gawd.

SPman
23rd March 2016, 18:46
We obviously have more relaxed instructors here out west.........:crazy:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/Bikes/received_209577146064605_zpscfiirnhj.jpeg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/JonL_photo/media/Bikes/received_209577146064605_zpscfiirnhj.jpeg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/Bikes/received_209576739397979_zpsvwgjhkv5.jpeg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/JonL_photo/media/Bikes/received_209576739397979_zpsvwgjhkv5.jpeg.html)

RGVforme
23rd March 2016, 20:18
We obviously have more relaxed instructors here out west.........:crazy:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/Bikes/received_209577146064605_zpscfiirnhj.jpeg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/JonL_photo/media/Bikes/received_209577146064605_zpscfiirnhj.jpeg.html)

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/Bikes/received_209576739397979_zpsvwgjhkv5.jpeg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/JonL_photo/media/Bikes/received_209576739397979_zpsvwgjhkv5.jpeg.html)

"ATGATT?....Nah mate never heard of her German girl is she?"

5ive
24th March 2016, 09:51
Best solution to the speeding issue is to ride one or two gears down from normal. So do your test in 2nd max 3rd gear. The moment you hit 4th there is no way to stay under 50. Works in real life too!:-)

What? Don't do this.

Not all LAMS bikes a geared the same, and engine sizes are also different - for example my 300 goes up to 15000 rpm, and can do over 50 in 2nd...

Part of the CBTA assessment is also to check that you're using the appropriate gear for the speed you are travelling, among other things.

So yeah, it's a good way to fail the test.

caspernz
24th March 2016, 11:41

Absolutely correct, for it's a common mistake for a lazy or untrained rider to run around in too high a gear. Hell, I had to re-learn that bit last year, after 30 years of riding...

What? Don't do this.

Not all LAMS bikes a geared the same, and engine sizes are also different - for example my 300 goes up to 15000 rpm, and can do over 50 in 2nd...

Part of the CBTA assessment is also to check that you're using the appropriate gear for the speed you are travelling, among other things.

So yeah, it's a good way to fail the test.

C'mon now, stop showing off your inexperience... Unless one is in a gear where engine braking can be had when throttling down, the selected gear is too high. Apply the variations of bike and all that, the basic saying is: "Gears are for speed control and brakes for stopping."

Stonecold
25th March 2016, 18:34
Yup.

Drew
26th March 2016, 16:22
Fuck there are a lot of people giving shit advice. No wonder the squid failed his test

WNJ
26th March 2016, 16:39
and can do over 50 in 2nd....

:facepalm:

Drew
26th March 2016, 17:51
:facepalm:

Wish my bike was that fast.

5ive
27th March 2016, 10:09
Yep, top speed of 180, and still have not reached top gear yet.

Stop being green with bike envy...

WristTwister
27th March 2016, 12:01
If you're doing an assessment in the Porirua area for example, spend a few afternoons - an hour or so at a time - riding all around to learn the layout of the area. Get a map or use google maps and learn the main street names and think about routes you could take. If there are some roads you avoid, think about why you avoid them and how you can ride them better.

Speed is a big fail. Try a quiet Sunday morning cruise and practice keeping your speed between 45-50, keep yourself in a lower gear if that helps. From reading through other comments, people seem to have a "holier than thou" attitude. I've been along SH1 through Porirua and the zones that switch from 50 to 100, and 100 back to 50 and everyone (bikers I've seen included!) is doing over 50 up to the round-abouts and they all speed up before the 100 signs. The road code states that speeds apply at the sign, so you should be doing 50 when you pass a 50 sign, but you should not be doing over 50 before you reach a 100 sign, it's confusing and most people speed up before they reach the sign and testers know this, they probably do it themselves when they aren't doing tests - in the real world. So note to people getting assessed: Slow down to 50 before a 50 sign, and only throttle on when you pass a higher speed sign.:Police:

I see a lot of people asking about the routes they are taken on an assessment, and we all understand that knowing the route can calm your nerves in an emotionally stressful time. But isn't it better to know in your heart that you can take any route they throw at you?

Know your bike, know your speed, know the road, and know the code!:second:

WristTwister
27th March 2016, 12:28
Yep, top speed of 180, and still have not reached top gear yet.

Stop being green with bike envy...

180?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DH-nKBeA

5ive
27th March 2016, 14:47
lol, nice.

F5 Dave
29th March 2016, 12:29
Look lets cut out the inane babble and move the thread on 3 months to what bike you should buy next. I believe that the fashion was d-'efinitely an R1 mate'. But perhaps I haven't been following recently and a ZX10 is flavour of the day.

Drew
29th March 2016, 12:34
Look lets cut out the inane babble and move the thread on 3 months to what bike you should buy next. I believe that the fashion was d-'efinitely an R1 mate'. But perhaps I haven't been following recently and a ZX10 is flavour of the day.
2016 gixxer is meant to be something special.

Akzle
29th March 2016, 14:00

pirate editions though.
With more RRs!