PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

Lou Girardin
28th September 2005, 15:33
Isn't it amazing how the cell phone age has turned so many people into uncouth slobs. As I type this, there's a guy wondering around the shop, totally engrossed in his conversation and talking at the top of his voice, as so many do.
Then there's the ones that take calls mid-conversation and expect you and other customers to wait patiently while he deals with his private life.
Beats me where manners have gone. I blame the Labour Govt.

vifferman
28th September 2005, 15:35
I blame the Labour Govt.
You're oldish.
You're supposed to blame The Yoof.

duckman
28th September 2005, 15:36
The customers always right !! Just remember your place Lou. :devil2:

Storm
28th September 2005, 15:36
I'm with you- its all those Labour bastards fault.

BNZ
28th September 2005, 15:39
Isn't it amazing how the cell phone age has turned so many people into uncouth slobs. As I type this, there's a guy wondering around the shop, totally engrossed in his conversation and talking at the top of his voice, as so many do.
Then there's the ones that take calls mid-conversation and expect you and other customers to wait patiently while he deals with his private life.

Hes probably talking about that uselsess salesman on the computer who wont come help me.

WRT
Yeah me too, Labour - you suck!

Filthy ugly huck mole . . .

ManDownUnder

Put 'em in their place. Ask them, no tell them, to stand aside while you serve other customers.

Sounds like they're just grandstanding to me...

yungatart
28th September 2005, 15:43
Full of their own self-importance, if you ask me, and a distinct lack of what my Mum calls manners...lot of it about these days (or should that be a lack..)

crashe
28th September 2005, 15:44
Nah its NOT the governments fault at all....

Its the cell phone owners fault - some have bad manners.

I was in at my local BP garage this morning and there was this man yakking on the phone right beside the petrol pump while his car was refueling...
Well its written in big bold letters to NOT use a cell phone by the petrol pumps. The attendee went over and asked him to turn it off.... cos of the garage policies... This dude said back with one finger in the air "One minute ok?" He got told 'NO turn it off" He looked at her and I thought he was gonna abuse her but instead he walked over to where the road was.... Like WTF... is he blind or what.

I hate it when you go to the movies and someone cell phone goes off...
Thats bad enough but when it rings a few times and the man answers it each time real loud.. Everyone yelled at him to get the fuck out of the cinema...

Or when in a meeting/conference...

Like there is a time and place to turn the things off.

Height of bad manners and ignorance...

Sniper
28th September 2005, 15:44
I had one like that today. Guy returned his car and came inside with his cellphone glued to his ear and just stared at me. So I stared back, whats the point in talking to him if halfway through he will answer someone elses question. So I waited while he made funny gestures for something and eventually when he got off the phone said he needed his ride to the airport (Its a free service we offer)

To cut a long story short, he ended up missing his flight and blamed it on me for stalling. I couldn't give a rats arse, if he wants service he can be just as polite as I would be and tell the caller I will call back.

hXc
28th September 2005, 15:46
Yeah me too, Labour - you suck!

Filthy ugly huck mole . . .

Is that directed at Helen Clarke herself or the Labour govt in general???

WRT
28th September 2005, 15:51
Is that directed at Helen Clarke herself or the Labour govt in general???

Just the pub-mullet in charge . . . you know the one, face like a half chewed minty . . .

Motu
28th September 2005, 16:00
Mobile phones are the cornerstone of business these days,your average suit would turn to jelly without his phone - surely not a Labour problem...this one is right in National's lap!

My phone means so much to me I left it at home today.Worse,I went for a ride on saturday,and forgot my phone....I ride alone and went to a remote place,bit scary without the comfort of my phone....

jrandom
28th September 2005, 16:02
I dont have a cellphone and thats the way I like it.

gadgets be damned.

Lou Girardin
28th September 2005, 16:09
To cut a long story short, he ended up missing his flight and blamed it on me for stalling. I couldn't give a rats arse, if he wants service he can be just as polite as I would be and tell the caller I will call back.

That would be greatly satisfying.

Sniper
28th September 2005, 16:15
That would be greatly satisfying.

Would it what. Except some people think they are better than us!

*sic
28th September 2005, 17:06
cell phones make you awesome, and those around who dont agree are wrong.

strayjuliet
28th September 2005, 17:15
I would be lost without my cell phone, but that being said it becomes something of a pain in the butt at times. Like when I'm wondering around the supermaket doing my shopping and next minute the phone rings so I answer it and forget half of the stuff I really needed to get in the shopping, so I end up making 2 trips to the supermaket when I could have done it all at once. If my phone hadn't botherd me. :mobile:

jrandom
28th September 2005, 17:18
I answer it and forget half of the stuff I really needed to get in the shopping...

rule number 1, learned from many hard years of arriving home and emitting loud noises of annoyance - write a shopping list.

rule number 2 I can't remember; I didn't write it down.

ManDownUnder
28th September 2005, 17:28
I would be lost without my cell phone, but that being said it becomes something of a pain in the butt at times.

I prefer to keep mine in my pocket...:whistle:

Hitcher
28th September 2005, 17:30
I would be lost without my cell phone, but that being said it becomes something of a pain in the butt at times.
Maybe you should get one of those belt clips for it?

Phurrball
28th September 2005, 17:37
Nah its NOT the governments fault at all....

Its the cell phone owners fault - some have bad manners.

I was in at my local BP garage this morning and there was this man yakking on the phone right beside the petrol pump while his car was refueling...
Well its written in big bold letters to NOT use a cell phone by the petrol pumps. The attendee went over and asked him to turn it off.... cos of the garage policies... This dude said back with one finger in the air "One minute ok?" He got told 'NO turn it off" He looked at her and I thought he was gonna abuse her but instead he walked over to where the road was.... Like WTF... is he blind or what.

I hate it when you go to the movies and someone cell phone goes off...
Thats bad enough but when it rings a few times and the man answers it each time real loud.. Everyone yelled at him to get the fuck out of the cinema...

Or when in a meeting/conference...

Like there is a time and place to turn the things off.

Height of bad manners and ignorance...

Surprising how many people look at you funny when you inform them of that little fact. Used to be a regular occurrence in my petrol-pump-person days.

I wouldn't be without my phone...but it's on silent 90% of the time, and I go outside/to an appropriate place should I need to talk on it (not very often.)

DevoDave
28th September 2005, 18:02
as someone once said, "I was driving to work the other day when the phone rang, I got such a fright I dropped my razor in the cereal"

Skyryder
28th September 2005, 18:46
I'm with you- its all those Labour bastards fault.

Me too. Just can't have the plebs poncing about like yuppies and high rollers. Just too many people rising above their station in life.

Skyryder

Re: Phones in petrol garages, if we ever saw a guy talking on the phone we'd cut off his pump, then he'd look at us funny, so we'd tell him the rules... pump never went on again until he put the phone down.

Phones don't technically cause problems when fueling, only a few rare instances where someone has dropped it and the battery causes a spark, thereby sending the entire place up.

Insurance companies said that if you identified that it's a problem, no matter how small the risk, you had to eliminate it... personally I'd have thought it was more dangerous leaving the radio on when you're filling up...

SlowHand
28th September 2005, 21:03
on "mythbusters" on disco channel they did a test on this. Phones causing explosions is an incredibly rare case. The static from rubbing on ur seat etc, followed by contact with gas first normally does the trick.

Scary stuff

MOTOXXX
28th September 2005, 21:59
does anyone think vodafone will ever put out $10 text?

Hitcher
29th September 2005, 09:04
does anyone think vodafone will ever put out $10 text?
Will Britney Speirs' baby grow up normally? Who cares?

yungatart
29th September 2005, 09:09
And what about Mary-Lou?

Paul in NZ
29th September 2005, 09:10

Not if she breast feeds it...

kiwisfly
29th September 2005, 09:16
She had a baby, just thought she was getting fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure we've all seen this but was in a cafe the other day getting my fix & a suit was loud mouthing on the phone about some deal he'd closed blah blah & the feckin phone went off! Whole cafe went into spontainous hysterics!

Lou Girardin
29th September 2005, 09:17
I would be lost without my cell phone, but that being said it becomes something of a pain in the butt at times. L

You wouldn't have liked the old 'bricks' then.
Or maybe you would.................................. :dodge:

scumdog
29th September 2005, 10:02
I go through about $20 worth of phone-cards a year - and C.B uses most of that.

Cell-phones? hany in an emergency type of thing but the rest of the time you can shove 'em.

BTW Amazing how many of my smoking, non-working 'clients' have a cell-phone - but no 'time' left on it!!! WTF!! Almost as good as a motorbike with an empty gas-tank. :weird: :rolleyes:

Beemer
29th September 2005, 10:02
Being self-employed the cell phone is a bit of a necessity, but it is a pain when it goes off while you're in a queue while out shopping and people get to know all your business, no matter how softly you speak!

I do get fed up with people who leave them on while eating out or at the movies - if you are on call, get a vibrating one and excuse yourself when it 'rings', or don't go out! Not as bad as babbies in movies though - went to see Richard III many years ago, very loud (and boring) movie with lots of fight scenes, and this stupid cow brings a 3-6 month old kid along. It screamed as soon as the movie started so she took it out, but then five minutes later she brought it back in again. Did this three or four times, so in the end someone yelled out "for christ's sake, take that fucking kid home!" I had free tickets to the movie anyway, but I complained and got two free tickets to see another movie!

Wolf
29th September 2005, 16:36
[QUOTE=kiwisflyI'm sure we've all seen this but was in a cafe the other day getting my fix & a suit was loud mouthing on the phone about some deal he'd closed blah blah & the feckin phone went off! Whole cafe went into spontainous hysterics![/QUOTE]
People still do that?

I thought it would have gone out no every fucker can afford a cellphone - even Scumdog's "clients" - not just "yuppies". Back in the days when the "reception was bad" and they had to stand outside (where everyone could see them) when using the phone. Funny how large groups of poorer, less fortunate people improved cell-phone reception...

My work phone was taken off me - a new bloke arrived and they urgently needed a phone so they checked the logs and found an embarrassing "discrepancy" in my call logs...

I hadn't used the phone in ages.

They deem ed his the greater need so I lost the phone which, I might add, I was using... my watch strap had broken so I was using the phone as a conveniently locatable timepiece.

By way of compensation, so I could tell the time at work, they gave me an Ipaq - which I find a lot more useful than the phone.

mstriumph
29th September 2005, 16:43
Not if she breast feeds it...

nope - doesn't matter HOW a thread starts out - always ends up with bodily functions somehow .............. :whistle:

marty
29th September 2005, 17:47

i have issue with sales reps who take calls in the middle of a conversation with a customer who took the time to come into the shop - vehcile sales people (in my experience) are the worst.

Ixion
29th September 2005, 18:19
People still do that?

By way of compensation, so I could tell the time at work, they gave me an Ipaq - which I find a lot more useful than the phone.

You can stick a GPS thingy on the iPaq,. then it will tell you where you are , and what direction you're going in and what speed you're going. Sort of. It tells you that you are at something like 172:34:22: 63:37:12 heading 27 at 120. Which I suppose is very nice for those that understand it, though it would be more useful to me if it were something like "Heading sunward , just after that mountain with the funny bump on the side, at slightly illegal"

strayjuliet
29th September 2005, 19:02
Ok, for all you smart-arses out there: I do have a clip for my cell phone but it broke so I normally carry it in my handbag or in my pocket - depends where I'm going. I have one of the small flip-top things from Telescum and tend to miss some calls 'coz my bag is too damn big. lol As for the old bricks, yes, I did have one of those and hated it. I think it was an old nokia.

When I go shopping I do write a shopping list. However, I tend to leave it sitting on my desk at home while I'm getting kids sorted and into their car seats and such like - so really not much use writing one.

Biff
30th September 2005, 02:30
Does anybody else here take their phones to the toilet with them, and play games on it while dropping the kids off at the pool ?

I'm buggered if I can get past level 7 on my Nokia. I've been trying for ages. Never mind - Asia next week. I nearly always get the shits there so I should get plenty of practice.