PDA

View Full Version : Improve FXR150 headlight

nzspokes
15th March 2016, 21:45
A workmate has a FXR150 that they are learning on. The headlight is awful. The light on my phone is better.

Anybody now how to improve so they can see when riding at night? I believe they have 25w bulbs and we can get 35w ones. Doubt that will help much.

Considering doing the relay/lead from the battery thing but not sure it would help.

Oakie
15th March 2016, 21:58
I had an FXR when I started biking again four bikes ago and I don't recall the headlight being that bad. I wonder if the problem is with that particular bike?

bogan
15th March 2016, 22:01
The light on my phone is better..

Then lend him your phone :bleh:

Check voltage drop across wires before trying the relay thing. If it's 25W it's probably not going to load up the wires much. And check beam pattern too, if that's fucked then upping the wattage isn't going to help much.

kiwi-on-wheels
15th March 2016, 22:12
Relay with 2.5mm2 feed direct from battery.

Made a HUGE difference in my cbr, used to ride around on full beam to get a faint orange glow, now on dip beam its lights up the road rather well. Internal resistance on old wiring with that much length will have a noticable effect.

Probably also worth cleaning down all your earth terminals and throwing around a few extra bonding wires from the frame and block back to the battery

nzspokes
16th March 2016, 07:08
Then lend him your phone :bleh:

Check voltage drop across wires before trying the relay thing. If it's 25W it's probably not going to load up the wires much. And check beam pattern too, if that's fucked then upping the wattage isn't going to help much.

Yerr will do that today. To have a beam pattern first you need light to show it. :shit:

Its really that bad. Fuck knows how it gets WOFs.

EJK
16th March 2016, 08:32
Yep. Also used to have one 8 years ago. Used to commute 25kms after finishing work at 10pm and the headlights were 100% useless.

Tazz
17th March 2016, 11:57
Stuff above and or LED bulb, extra 'bright' bulb (50%, 100%, 150% etc etc, the higher the more you replace em though) or replacement headlight

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/7/77/Nolan_Batsignal-high-resolution-snapshot.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130805003406

F5 Dave
18th March 2016, 19:56
Good grief. I put FXR150 lights in my yzf special as they were light and I never rode at night.
Much.
Yamaha Blasters run a halogen bulb with the same fitting. Fit some of those and you won't know yourself.

Ocean1
18th March 2016, 20:08
Good grief....

Aye, when I were a lad...

True though, the keyring in my pocket makes more light than my first three bikes.

nzspokes
18th March 2016, 20:22
Good grief. I put FXR150 lights in my yzf special as they were light and I never rode at night.
Much.
Yamaha Blasters run a halogen bulb with the same fitting. Fit some of those and you won't know yourself.

Not my bike, I would squash a FXR. Will look into the Halogens.

Scuba_Steve
18th March 2016, 20:26
Can't say I ever improved mine, but will say that it was much better to ride low beam than high; high beam just made vision worse I found

nzspokes
18th March 2016, 20:32
Can't say I ever improved mine, but will say that it was much better to ride low beam than high; high beam just made vision worse I found

Your not kidding, numberplate light on my bandit is brighter than the FXR headlight.

F5 Dave
18th March 2016, 21:08
Yeah go see Darrin at Phil Turnbulls. You may be a decade or so late.

nzspokes
19th March 2016, 07:15
Yeah go see Darrin at Phil Turnbulls. You may be a decade or so late.

Apart from the shit headlight they seem an ok L plater bike. Owner is already thinking about upgrading after winter, seems odd to be thinking of upgrading to a 250.