PDA

View Full Version : RIP my FJ - could she rise again?

90s
1st April 2016, 13:23
After 9 years of tending carefully to my no. 1 commuter, my 1988 GSX600FJ, and getting her to close to 150,000 she finally threw in the towel last week. :cry:
Down to 3 cylinders (still riding pretty good though on 3), no compression on #3, probably blown a piston ring, I decided to retire her.

She was a great commuter, and IMHO the FJs were one of the best all-round general road bikes about.

She'd only two days earlier had a new WOF and Rego. So I've cashed the rego in and she is off the road. If anyone wants her for parts of a project getting her back up running as a cheap bike, all the other bits were fine, so I've listed her in the ads section, and if anyone wants her before the wreckers come she's yours for $1 more than the $300 they would pay.

I really wanted to get her to 160,000. But every cloud as they say, so finally I've got another bike I've always wanted to own, the ST2. Can't see her getting to 150k though.

Anyone think they'll get to the 160k on their beast before it dies?

Grumph
1st April 2016, 16:47
Many years back, I had a customer with a suzuki GS1100G which was well over 100,000 miles...Engine had never been out of the frame or apart so when he broke an output shaft bevel it was done in the frame to keep things kosher.
Damm thing's probably still going...

Oakie
1st April 2016, 16:50
Probably not me. I tend to move mine on at about 60k. I have a feeling that this might be my last bike though, and if so, I might just run it into the ground so who knows how high the odo will get.

neels
1st April 2016, 18:39
It is sad when a faithful friend reaches the end of it's life, and past being economic to repair. Managed to resurrect my sons 190E merc with a new head gasket a while back, his current goal is to get it past 200k miles without it giving up completely, if it's still going then it'll be leaning into classic car territory and I'll probably buy the bloody thing off him

My ST2 (I'm assuming Ducati here) has just ticked over 70k, time for another service, so far I can't see any reason why it wouldn't get to 150+ and the way I'm going I'll probably still have the thing when it does.

jellywrestler
1st April 2016, 18:46
cold kiwi rat bike, then bonfire, make her go out in a painful yet famous way.

Hobbyhorse
1st April 2016, 18:47
My 1988 BMW R80RT has 161000ks on it now.

jellywrestler
1st April 2016, 18:55
Many years back, I had a customer with a suzuki GS1100G which was well over 100,000 miles...Engine had never been out of the frame or apart so when he broke an output shaft bevel it was done in the frame to keep things kosher.
Damm thing's probably still going...

my ole 850 g ticked over 377000 last year, got it at 77 thousand and had a dud gearbox, stripped it and it was on first oversize, did rings cam chain valve guide seals and gudgeon clips at 377000 for a treat. only cooked the alternator once in all that time too.

MarkW
1st April 2016, 18:56
My first bike that went around the clock was a 1981 GS450 Suzuki that had just over 110,000km on the odo when I traded it in. On a 1986 RG500. And the RG had well over 70,000km on it including two years of Auckland Motorcycle Club Club series racing when it too was sold to a new owner.

Next bike that saw a fair distance was my 1989 Honda NT600 - the Revere - which was sold to a new owner at just over 230,000km. New cam chains, a rear cylinder exhaust valve and a water pump being the only "major" work required and these were done between 160,000 and 200,000km. This bike still had the original clutch plates in it!

And my current Honda NT650 - the Deauville - has just headed past 136,000km. Runs really well still.

Regular servicing (by me) with fresh good oil and routine stuff as needed - looked after properly modern engines do last.

90s
2nd April 2016, 06:30
My ST2 (I'm assuming Ducati here) has just ticked over 70k, time for another service, so far I can't see any reason why it wouldn't get to 150+ and the way I'm going I'll probably still have the thing when it does.

Hope it does - I'm loving the ST2 so far. Getting the belts done next week to hopefully get her on course to last the 160k. It'll be going some though, she's only done 12k so far in 14 years ...

nzspokes
2nd April 2016, 06:47
Why not put new rings in?

willytheekid
2nd April 2016, 07:15
Why not put new rings in?

This :yes: (and anything else the ol girl needs for a refresh)

...just a tired engine...it hasn't detonated! (thank f...!)

If she served you well, you love the ol girl...give her another lease of life :D (great winter project!:msn-wink:)

nzspokes
2nd April 2016, 08:10
This :yes: (and anything else the ol girl needs for a refresh)

...just a tired engine...it hasn't detonated! (thank f...!)

If she served you well, you love the ol girl...give her another lease of life :D (great winter project!:msn-wink:)

Yeah to me it a reasonably easy job. My old Bandit is on 110,000ks. Reckon it will go 200ks before needing a go over. If I still have it then will just bore it and new pistons etc.

R650R
2nd April 2016, 21:40
My 98 GSXR750 is at about an estimated 120,000km now. Just flicked another new chain and sprockets on it, got 60,oookm out of previous one. Still a good doistance weapon.
Great headlights for night riding and I know its handling traits.
It to should be retired ti the scrapheap but im considering giving it a birthday, even though it makes no economic sense at all.....