PDA

View Full Version : Question about Power Commander

bennz
3rd April 2016, 12:58
Hi all,

Could you share your knowledge about power commander on motorbikes with me, so I know if it can be used with certain maps to reduce the power of the bike for a while till someone gets used to the bike ?

I know they are usually used to increase power and match the ECU program with mods put in place, but can it be used like above as well?

It is not specific to any bike, just more about power commander as it can be installed on variety of bikes.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigertim20
3rd April 2016, 13:35
if said person is concerned about their ability to use and control the power of a given bike, then they are on the wrong bike.

Buy a smaller bike, then sell and upgrade as skill, experience and confidence increases

bennz
3rd April 2016, 13:44
It is not about the rider capability as such, it's more of a question about power commander feature , with a map is it capable of doing so ?

AllanB
3rd April 2016, 13:55
Never heard of a power commander being used for that. They are designed as a plug in to the stock electronics to bypass or override/trick the stock fueling program so you can have it custom mapped to produce optimum fueling an reap the benefits of that. Particularly if you are adding a free flowing exhaust and tweaking the intake.

With ride by wire throttles maybe PC are offering a multi map system on later units. Check their website.

Power reduction is best controlled with ones right wrist!

Tazz
3rd April 2016, 14:12
A lot of dirt/duel purpose dudes change maps for different terrains, no biggy. Don't think the power commander units are user friendly for that sort of purpose though.

tigertim20
3rd April 2016, 14:23
It is not about the rider capability as such, it's more of a question about power commander feature , with a map is it capable of doing so ?

well its kinda a stupid question.

I stand by my previous response.

could you use a power commander to fuck the fuelling up so much that the bikes runs like a bag of shit and performs poorly? yes, you could, but youd risk destroying your engine

nzspokes
3rd April 2016, 14:41
Give it a go, brilliant way to drop valves. Make sure you film it.

AllanB
3rd April 2016, 15:19
to reduce the power of the bike for a while till someone gets used to the bike ?

Depending on the bike it may be a relatively easy task to make up a throttle limiter of some form. If a cable system it will have a linkage. It would be highly likely a adjustable 'stop' could be fitted at the throttle body end so it has only - say 3/4 opening. Kind of like having too much slop in your throttle but without the bloody annoying action of that.

What's the bike?

Talking of annoying throttle slop - how come most of the demo bikes I have ever ridden had way too much? Is it a shops way of reducing full throttle on demo bikes?

bennz
3rd April 2016, 15:54
Thanks mate , a friend of mine thinking to get R6 , he's on his full but wanting to be more cautious with it and gradually settle in the bike . So I was thinking perhaps there would be a map to provide some controlled and healthy restriction , without any specific modification , hence the power commander which is only a software medium.

There are throttle stoppers kit with air restrictors but they designed to reduce the power to 33bhp which is pointless . He just want the bike more tamed at the beginning

EJK
3rd April 2016, 16:36
Thanks mate , a friend of mine thinking to get R6 , he's on his full but wanting to be more cautious with it and gradually settle in the bike . So I was thinking perhaps there would be a map to provide some controlled and healthy restriction , without any specific modification , hence the power commander which is only a software medium.

There are throttle stoppers kit with air restrictors but they designed to reduce the power to 33bhp which is pointless . He just want the bike more tamed at the beginning

Your "friend" will have no problem on the R6 since it's pretty mild and tame below 10,000rpm anyways.

Also even a simple dyno tuning with PC will cost somewhat $900 incl labour. So it'd be actually cheaper and easier to simply take out two spark plugs instead.

skippa1
3rd April 2016, 16:53

Pretty wierd thing to try and do and certainly not the tool to do it. The only way you will reduce performane with a power commander would be to fuck up the fueling and air mix etc. this in turn will have ot running either really rich or really lean, either os not great for the motor and will lead to premature death of the motor. A stop isnt much cop either as you need te
he ability to wind on more throttle when climbing a hill or wanting to snatch on some quick throttle for an overtake etc.
if the bike is too powerful, get him to buy a less powerful one. Sitting still idling with no one on it the bike is tame, its only the rider that changes that and he can only do that on purpose.......,its called self control

Katman
3rd April 2016, 17:03
Seriously, everyone here is too polite.

If your mate doesn't think he can handle the R6 tell him to stick to his GN250.

EJK
3rd April 2016, 17:14
Pretty wierd thing to try and do and certainly not the tool to do it. The only way you will reduce performane with a power commander would be to fuck up the fueling and air mix etc. this in turn will have ot running either really rich or really lean, either os not great for the motor and will lead to premature death of the motor. A stop isnt much cop either as you need te
he ability to wind on more throttle when climbing a hill or wanting to snatch on some quick throttle for an overtake etc.
if the bike is too powerful, get him to buy a less powerful one. Sitting still idling with no one on it the bike is tame, its only the rider that changes that and he can only do that on purpose.......,its called self control

+1

There is a reason why some mega companies spent millions of dollars on group of Japanese geniuses dedicated to building bulletproof, performance oriented, high compression ratio racing engines. Don't fuck it up :yes:

Madness
3rd April 2016, 17:45
Just leave it factory and run it on diesel. Same effect and heaps cheaper on gas.

Pound
3rd April 2016, 18:25
a friend of mine thinking to get R6 , he's on his full but wanting to be more cautious with it and gradually settle in the bike

Got my learners, then went and bought a Ninja 300, then got my restricted, then got my full (all as soon as legally possible) then went and bought a 2009 Fireblade.

2 years later and I still get the grocery's on it and use it daily as a commuter, just as I did with my Ninja.

As stated before, the best restricter is that right wrist used in conjunction with your brain.

Tazz
3rd April 2016, 18:35
As stated before, the best restricter is that right wrist used in conjunction with your brain.

Some people don't have that though. I will never, ever own a sports bike over 250cc :cry:

I would personally just buy a motard instead of these lengths to slow a bike though. Awesome fun without the ability to do any serious speeds.

Swoop
3rd April 2016, 18:36
Buy a hardley fergusson.

Pound
3rd April 2016, 18:38
Some people don't have that though. I will never, ever own a sports bike over 250cc :cry:

I would personally just buy a motard instead of these lengths to slow a bike though. Awesome fun without the ability to do any serious speeds.

You certainly don't need anything over 250cc to induce the mandatory grin factor:msn-wink:

AllanB
3rd April 2016, 19:13
R6. Reckon he will be fine. The 600 sports bikes are indeed rapid at the top end by low and mid-range is very manageable. You thrash them to get the real power so an initial cautious approach to his new ride will be fine without any restriction.

pritch
3rd April 2016, 21:35
I had noticed that a lotta ladies seemed to ride 600 sprotbikes. It was explained to me that at low revs those bikes are pussy cats. (No pun intended.)
It's not until you wind the revs up that things start to happen quickly, sometimes very quickly. The ladies I observed were definitely not exploring the upper rev limits.

Power Commanders are not suitable for your purpose. As has been said, your friend needs to control their wrist. Or stick with the GN.

fxxk
3rd April 2016, 21:42
Or you just buy a different style of bike, they make an fz6r restricted and unrestricted. You can even buy a cheap plate to derestrict the restricted version. The motor is also essentially a detuned R6 with more power low down instead of up top and the ergonomics are more tourer than sports bike. Win win if you aren't allowed or can't handle a proper bike designed to go insanely fast

caspernz
4th April 2016, 07:54
The best restricter is that right wrist used in conjunction with your brain.

If this element is missing, solution is Toyota Yaris :innocent: not Power Commander :facepalm::shit:

idb
4th April 2016, 09:30
It seemed a pretty reasonable question to me.

In amongst all the sanctimonious bullshit about whether he/she should get a different bike there is some real advice that a Power Commander isn't the answer.

Dave-
4th April 2016, 14:00

Or he could use a power commander 5/bazzaz system and pull timing out which would kill torque as intended.

flashg
4th April 2016, 16:58
R6 can be turned into a 450. They race them. But don't know how it's done. I was told they drop a cylinder. But that's all I've heard. The race guys on here will know how it's done, and at what cost.

caspernz
4th April 2016, 18:31
Geez, why apply a $500+ solution to a 50 cent problem though? If one feels the need to "detune" a bike the simple fact is you ain't ready to make the step up yet :facepalm:

Any motorised vehicle will only go as fast as the operator chooses, well in my world anyway.

bennz
4th April 2016, 21:08
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

skippa1
4th April 2016, 21:15
Geez, why apply a $500+ solution to a 50 cent problem though? If one feels the need to "detune" a bike the simple fact is you ain't ready to make the step up yet :facepalm:

Any motorised vehicle will only go as fast as the operator chooses, well in my world anyway.
Exactly......like getting the girlfriend a breast reduction

bennz
4th April 2016, 21:55
Exactly......like getting the girlfriend a breast reduction

It's more like getting a girlfriend but only see her top half naked till you ready for more lol

skippa1
5th April 2016, 14:35
It's more like getting a girlfriend but only see her top half naked till you ready for more lol
Yup, same thing

aderino4
5th April 2016, 22:12
Put a very small sprocket on the rear.

Much cheaper than buying Power Commander.

imdying
6th April 2016, 10:59
It seems more likely that the narrow bars, steep steering angle, and lack of useful suspension travel on our goat tracks, will be what fucks him up.

A small throttle stop (just add some material to the throttle tube, which you can quickly file off later) seems like a better choice for restricting the bikes power.

Make sure he truly understands countersteering.

bennz
8th April 2016, 18:14
Thanks again for the advice , probably as mentioned smaller sprocket and some form of a safe throttle stop would be a better option