PDA

View Full Version : Seat repair

Anthony C
4th April 2016, 20:36
Hi guys,
Have a small rip in my seat that has been bothering me, can you get a sealer type product to fill the hole that looks decent or is the only option to buy a new seat or get the whole thing recovered. Bikes a street triple so not cheap to buy a new seat !, any tips would be a great help.

Cheers

http://i66.tinypic.com/2nr29lz.jpg

nodrog
4th April 2016, 20:50
melt it with a cigarette lighter.

HenryDorsetCase
4th April 2016, 20:51
I bought a second hand seat on tardme for fiddy dollar. I did the same thing as you - ripped the cover. I have pulled the seat to bits (few screws and a shit ton of staples. I was going to tape underneath it and kind of glue the rip shut but I think that would look ghetto as fuck.

at this point I am going to get it chopped and channelled at an auto upholstery place.

AllanB
4th April 2016, 21:01
Try a Gogle on ebay for a seat cover. Plenty custom ones available. I got a very nice one for my Hornet a few years back - got to pick the materials and colours used.

russd7
4th April 2016, 21:03
ya might actually be surprised how cheap it is to get seat recovered

Oakie
4th April 2016, 21:14

Got mine recovered and had some extra padding put in for my delicate arse for $125. Brilliant. I got a nice non sliippy material too so I stopped sliding forward and crushing my dangle-berries.

HenryDorsetCase
4th April 2016, 21:27
Got mine recovered and had some extra padding put in for my delicate arse for $125. Brilliant. I got a nice non sliippy material too so I stopped sliding forward and crushing my dangle-berries.

Who did it for ya? I want some foam taken out of the seat and it flattened so I dont slide forward and, well, crush the dangleberries.

Little bit worried about the seat to peg distance after that but its a good excuse for some Gilles rearsets.

Icemaestro
4th April 2016, 21:39
A tiny thing like that - tent repair glue - I've used it on canvas, motorcycle boots, my motorcycle pants that were falling apart, my water feature...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icemaestro
4th April 2016, 21:40
Regarding upholstery - spotlight sells the top stuff, and a staple gun is 13$ or so from bunnings..I spent 30$ on the cover for 2mx1m and I've covered 4 seats in the last few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

granstar
4th April 2016, 22:03
Gaffa tape

Oakie
4th April 2016, 22:39
Who did it for ya? I want some foam taken out of the seat and it flattened so I dont slide forward and, well, crush the dangleberries.

http://www.patrickautotrimmers.co.nz/

AllanB
4th April 2016, 22:46

Little bit worried about the seat to peg distance after that but its a good excuse for some Gilles rearsets.

Try this guy - he did a excellent job on a total reshape and custom recover for me some years back.

Auto & Marine Upholstery Ltd

369 Tuam St
Christchurch

Phone: 03-377 5406

Berries
4th April 2016, 23:28
For something as small as that a little piece of black duct tape will do the trick.

$50 to recover an SV1000 seat with non slippy stuff after the UV's finally munted it. Excellent job, but then I am a long way from Auckland.

Big Dog
5th April 2016, 12:51
You could try something like this: http://m.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Permatex-Vinyl-Leather-Repair-Kit/129936.
Lots of used vehicle dealers do... but for a single seat once it isn't a whole lot cheaper than a recover by an upholsterer.

Key is to keep it water tight until you are ready for a recover.

Sent via tapatalk.