PDA

View Full Version : how fast are 600cc cruisers? and how about the fuel consumption?

Vilicus
28th September 2005, 21:39
Hello guys!

I am just purely curious this time.

As the title, For example:

are bikes like Honda steed 600 or suzuki 650 savage cruisers capable of passing four wheels?

and how about the fuel consumption, 10L for x KM??

BTW: i decided to buy a brand new virago 250 for $6800, is that a reasonable price?

TerminalAddict
28th September 2005, 23:11
me too (xv250) .. .who gave you that price?

Vilicus
29th September 2005, 02:37
me too (xv250) .. .who gave you that price?

a shop in auckland

dont know the dealer's name and i never took notice of the shop's name either...

:sweatdrop

Bob
29th September 2005, 03:03
How fast is a 600cc cruiser? They'll hit about 110mph (165kmph) depending on the bike in question. No idea about the two bikes you've mentioned, but I do believe the "Savage" is the most inappropriately named bike in existance!

As for fuel economy, again it will vary between bikes. I know with the XV250 Virago you mention, depending on the environment 100 miles to reserve (which I think is about 9 litres) is possible - and the XV535 Virago is supposed to return a similar figure per litre.

(According to my source of info, both bikes do 55 miles per gallon, so hopefully the maths works).

Can you pass four wheels? Of course you can. Remember, cruisers have low-down torque, so you've got the initial grunt. But you don't have blistering accelleration so you need to plan your passes more.

I still grin at flying past someone in a car when riding my wife's XV250... at 75mph (around 112kmph)... uphill! Then flicking it over into their lane with a minimum of effort. The XV535 will, as I said above, do 110mph and has quite a perky engine in cruiser terms, so it accellerates quite tidily.

Hope this helps.

skelstar
29th September 2005, 08:06
Hyosung have just brought out a new crusier called the GV650. Its about 80hp (I think..) maybe 70hp and apparently goes really well against other bikes in its class. Im no cruiser rider but the bike looks the business and is only $11k I think.
http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au

Hitcher
29th September 2005, 09:17
Based on a cursory study of cruisers in the 650-800cc class, anything less than 750cc (including the Honda Shadow) is, quite frankly, gutless. Good for round town riding but if you want to wind off some serious open road, you will find them inordinately frustrating, particularly if you want to overtake something travelling at about 100kmh.

I haven't ridden the new Hyosung GV650. It certainly looks the part (if you don't mind lots of chrome-finish plastic) and the output of its 90 degree V-twin should push it along nicely. Interestingly Harley Davidson has had stern words with Hyosung about this wee beast's "resemblance" to the V-Rod...

zadok
29th September 2005, 09:39
I've only ridden one cruiser and that was a Suzuki 750 something, a few years ago. It was totally gutless. Maybe it was just that model, I don't know. The Kawasaki VN900 coming up, with fuel injection and belt drive, would probably be the smallest cruiser I would consider.

The Stranger
29th September 2005, 09:41
BTW: i decided to buy a brand new virago 250 for $6800, is that a reasonable price?

I bought my Virago new and will probably drop about $1,500 when I sell it 12 months later.

Bought the blackbird 3 months ago second hand, done 600km and was 4 months old, saved $2,500.00. In the 3 months I have done nearly 10,000km on it. Now it is essentially no different to say a 03 bike that has done 10,000km.

Personally I would not get hung up on buying new unless you plan to stay on a 250 for 5yrs or more to spread the loss over a reasonable time frame. The 03 done 10,000 is just as good, but if bought carefully you will loose FA on resale in say 12 months.

Crashe's XV250 Virago has done about 70,000 km now so if you are looking for a learner machine for 12 or 24 months buying one with 10 to 30k on is nothing to worry about.

Yes I have a virago for sale but am not trying to make a sale here. Just putting a perspective having been there and done that.

Hitcher
29th September 2005, 10:51
I've only ridden one cruiser and that was a Suzuki 750 something, a few years ago. It was totally gutless. Maybe it was just that model, I don't know. The Kawasaki VN900 coming up, with fuel injection and belt drive, would probably be the smallest cruiser I would consider.
Don't forget that what is important is the power to weight ratio. The Suzuki Marauder and the Volusia have exactly the same donk. Anybody who rode a Volusia would probably think it to be a bit underpowered. Shave 50+kg of sprung weight (i.e. to get a Marauder) and you wouldn't recognise that you were dealing with the same mechanicals, such is the difference in performance.

Oh. And the new Kawasaki VN900 Vulcan has spoked wheels. Major points off.

crashe
29th September 2005, 11:03
Crashe's XV250 Virago has done about 70,000 km now.

My bike is now 8 years old, so doing under 9,000 a year.. which aint bad.
Still goes really well and can pass vehicles that are doing 100km no sweat.

RedRocks
6th October 2005, 11:43
The Hyosung GV650 is a very bling bike and it sure looks like the v-rod. And for $11k it's pretty good value for money. I haven't tried it, but the write-ups about have been good. But if you want grunt don't get a crusier less than 900cc