PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Costs

Blackadda
28th September 2005, 22:58
For those interested I got some quotes to Insure my Gixxa for $6k. I fall into the older more mature rider bracket! 30+!

AMP (my normal insurer) $916 /annum Exceess $200
Swann $340 /annum Excess $500 crash $1000 theft
Star $614 /annum Excess $750 crash $2000 theft
NAC $353 /annum Excess $500 crash $600 theft

Pretty broad range. I think NAC's the one for me. If I have a crash and damage other property, there is another $350 excess, but still works out cheaper than the rest.

soundbeltfarm
28th September 2005, 23:01
would they pay out 6K for your bike .
i mean would market value be 6K?

zadok
28th September 2005, 23:04
You just edited your post as I was about to say NAC looks the goods.

Blackadda
28th September 2005, 23:06
would they pay out 6K for your bike .
i mean would market value be 6K?

Who knows. I think a fair value is between $5 & $6k. I'd say the difference in cost is minimal anyways.

axion
1st October 2005, 19:23
Something I've seen on some car forums is that NAC is cheap for insurance but if you ever want to make a claim they make it hard as for you to get any money. (moreso than other insurance comapanies)

TerminalAddict
1st October 2005, 19:29
crikey I'm paying $480/yr with $250 excess on a $7k virago

Blackadda
2nd October 2005, 00:23
crikey I'm paying $480/yr with $250 excess on a $7k virago

Where from addict?

TerminalAddict
2nd October 2005, 08:55
from state
Mark as a learner rider, but I had a class 6l for 3 years, and a class 1 for .... many years, so they gave me a no claims bonus.
First quote was $880/yr without the no claims thingee

yungatart
2nd October 2005, 11:03
I am in my 40's on a learner licence, cost $56 and $750 excess to insure third party only, son has a mate who is 16- it costs exactly the same! Go figure, I thought a teenage male was higher accident risk than a 40 something female-appears not.

Phenoix
2nd October 2005, 15:07
NAC wasnt to charge me 700 with a $1000 excess. Thats including a seconded person on the insurance.
Everyone else was wanting to charge me bout $1000 with 1200 excuss, this is for the zxr valued at $6000
Think its cos Im young :niceone:

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 15:46
Think its cos Im young :niceone:
No, its cause they are mind readers and knew you loved washing your bike at any cost :whistle: :killingme

P/T

vinducati
4th October 2005, 15:16
I am with Swann, I recently had an accident and they have been really good.
Went to see them, filled out the claim form.
Their accessor went to the bike shop and it was all underway within 5 days.

Cheers

texmo
4th October 2005, 15:38
National Auto club will insure anybody not matter what! they are cheep and Good I rate them....

bungbung
4th October 2005, 15:38
I am in my 40's on a learner licence, cost $56 and $750 excess to insure third party only, son has a mate who is 16- it costs exactly the same! Go figure, I thought a teenage male was higher accident risk than a 40 something female-appears not.

Did you shop around? it may be the L plates scaring them off.

I've got my vtr1000 insured with state for 7k value, $250 excess.

The premium is around the $400 mark. (I've all the no-claims deductions, and exceed 30 years)

vifferman
4th October 2005, 15:43
I'm not happy with mine.

For a $12k bike, it's around $600-ish/annum (can't remember exactly) which is OK, but the excess is $1500 regardless of what bad thing happens to it (crash, theft, fire), which is crap. That's with State, but I'm seriously thinking of moving all our policies (bike, 3 x cars, house, contents) elsewhere if necessary to get that excess reduced.

vifferman
4th October 2005, 15:45
Did you shop around? it may be the L plates scaring them off.

I've got my vtr1000 insured with state for 7k value, $250 excess.

The premium is around the $400 mark. (I've all the no-claims deductions, and exceed 30 years)
How the hell did you mange that?
My VTR100 ($8.5K) cost me over $500, with an excess of $1000, if I remember correctly. AND I'm older than you, have been insured with State for a bazillion years, and have multiple policies (see last post).
:argh:

mattt
4th October 2005, 16:13
I'm not happy .....

Life's a bitch ain't it?

I'm on a 4hundy with an 8yr old Learners license. I don't think I'd get shit from an insurance company. Ah just as well the bikes worth fuckall :niceone:

madboy
4th October 2005, 16:20
Just the other day I got quoted $900 by AA (where our two cars are) with $1500 excess on a $11.5k bike. But it's market value so who knows what they'd pay. Incidentally, I'm just under 30 with a driving record that means I have $1500 excesses on both of our cars too, and was still getting declined car insurance at 26. And I've only held a bike license for less than 2 years. And I learnt on a 400.

The conversation goes along the lines of "Yeah, when we insured the new car a few months ago I faxed my LTSA driving history through to you, so it might be easier for you to check that proposal rather than me going through it over the phone with you cos I can never remember them all." Always a great way to start an insurance application.

The_Dover
4th October 2005, 18:54
Pretty fucken funny though!!!

Sorry..........

jimdaworm
5th October 2005, 20:41
Any recomendations for me.

I want to get a CBR 600/Hornet 600/Bandit 600

I am 25 and have had my car license for like 10 years but am only just completing my full bike license. :drinkup:

bungbung
6th October 2005, 07:09
How the hell did you mange that?
My VTR100 ($8.5K) cost me over $500, with an excess of $1000, if I remember correctly. AND I'm older than you, have been insured with State for a bazillion years, and have multiple policies (see last post).
:argh:

I've multiple policies too: car, bike, scooter, contents.

Have you ever claimed on a bike? no claims may count for the premium difference.

I thought the excess was pretty cheap, I asked state if it was correct and was assured it was.

Funny, for years I had to go through NAC because I was under 25, disqualified and so forth, modified turbo car blah blah blah.

vifferman
6th October 2005, 07:22
Have you ever claimed on a bike? no claims may count for the premium difference.
Yeah - I had four claims on my VFR750, BUT none of them against my policy! Every single one of them was someone else's fault.
Yet even though this should have no effect on my premiums etc. (I haven't lost my 'no claims bonus'), I have a feeling they're holding it against me, as last time I asked them about my excess, they mentioned the previous claims.
While I'm in a real shitty mood from the drugs in my system, I might just ring up and ask them again, and then either get a quote from elsewhere (and tell State I'm doing that), or if I'm not satisified, contact the insurance ombudsman (and tell State that too. If they are imposing ridiculous conditions for something which is not my fault and not supposed to affect my insurance, then that's not right.
Grrrrrrr, and all that.

zooter
9th October 2005, 19:17
Yeah - I had four claims on my VFR750, BUT none of them against my policy! Every single one of them was someone else's fault.
Yet even though this should have no effect on my premiums etc. (I haven't lost my 'no claims bonus'), I have a feeling they're holding it against me, as last time I asked them about my excess, they mentioned the previous claims.
While I'm in a real shitty mood from the drugs in my system, I might just ring up and ask them again, and then either get a quote from elsewhere (and tell State I'm doing that), or if I'm not satisified, contact the insurance ombudsman (and tell State that too. If they are imposing ridiculous conditions for something which is not my fault and not supposed to affect my insurance, then that's not right.
Grrrrrrr, and all that.
They might be labouring over their participation in the "knock for knock" arrangement. They decrease their paperwork by paying out their respective policyholders' damages regarless of fault. So your claims have actually cost State big bucks. If you go someplace else you can truthfully state you haven't claimed on YOUR policy and you're away laughing.

geoffm
9th October 2005, 20:24
State is crap anyway, especially if you need them. With a cage, the set the price that it is going to be repaired for, and who is going to do it. It goes without saying, the job reflects the price...
If you have a clean record, get on the phone and see what else is around. There are some huge differences, especially if they are looking at a package deal.
A broker may be another alternative, esp. if your record is not-so-good.
Geoff

Blackadda
21st October 2005, 20:02
I finally got my insurance via Classic Cover (underwritten by NZI). If you are over 30, do not let under 30's ride and garage your baby when not riding it, you can get full insurance for under $300 plus only a $300 excess!

You need to have a good record, no convictions etc and usual insurance blah, blah. But not a bad deal for us more mature riders.:niceone:

marty
21st October 2005, 20:59
the busa is in the big bike range (funnily enough) and at AMI is an even $1000/yr, with $1300 excess on crashing, $300 on anything else. the TL is $750 with $1000/$300.

National quoted $660, but excess is $2000.

crazy man, a $40k car is only $350!

Dafe
21st November 2005, 19:28
I got my insurance today for my K6 GSXR 1000.
Insurance: Full cover for $23,000
$850 Premium.
With $1500 Excess
$2500 Excess for theft and fire.

Once Again: National Auto Club (Whangarei), has come through for me!

marty
21st November 2005, 19:58
I got my insurance today for my K6 GSXR 1000.
Insurance: Full cover for $23,000
$850 Premium.
With $1500 Excess
$2500 Excess for theft and fire.

that's pretty good dafe. who's that with? i got a letter from AMI the other day saying they had misquoted, and the premium was actually $900, excess $1000, so i'm in credit!

Dafe
21st November 2005, 20:22
that's pretty good dafe. who's that with? i got a letter from AMI the other day saying they had misquoted, and the premium was actually $900, excess $1000, so i'm in credit!

Sorry dude, National Auto Club.
They'll slaughter AMI's charges.

texmo
21st November 2005, 21:12
agreed NAC are by fast the cheepest and will insure anybody..

bungbung
22nd November 2005, 07:04
Unfortunately, the NAC policy I had one $1500 excess for your bike and $1500 again for 3rd party damage.

A possible $3000 excess vs $1000 (AMI)...

How many years will it take to save $2k in premium?

However NAC will insure anyone.

vince25
22nd November 2005, 07:09
the thing to watch out for is reputation. would be interesting to find out who has used what. i go through a broker and pay $860 a year for my $10,000 GSX600f, with 850 crash excess, plus extra 350 if i damage other property, and $1000 if stolen. Who knows which ones are best. Maybe ill start a seperate thread for that

Dafe
23rd November 2005, 04:57
Unfortunately, the NAC policy I had one $1500 excess for your bike and $1500 again for 3rd party damage.

A possible $3000 excess vs $1000 (AMI)...

How many years will it take to save $2k in premium?

However NAC will insure anyone.

Correct, Do not take the third party option!
The full cover is so cheap anyway, why would you consider third party - It will cost you more in the long run.

When I purchased my SV1000, NAC quoted me $650 premium annual for third party and $585 premium annual for full cover.

So don't be fooled, even NAC want you on a full cover rather than the third party.

Beware also, If you have full cover you are well protected.
On third party cover, if your bike is stolen from outside of a secure locked up building, e.g. from a bikepark, at your job, outside your house..... You will get zip. Study the fine print always. NAC's full cover policy fineprint is not hiding anything.

Teflon
2nd December 2005, 19:11
the busa is in the big bike range (funnily enough) and at AMI is an even $1000/yr, with $1300 excess on crashing, $300 on anything else. the TL is $750 with $1000/$300.

Just got the TL insured with AMI. $1k a year, and $300 excess for everything, but it's not insured for anyone under 25yrs.

Your crash excess is high. have you had a few crashes, claims?