PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at t'mill

slofox
14th April 2016, 11:47
Went out for a blast this morning. Well, that was the idea anyway.

First off, crank speed on starting was a little down. Thought battery might be failing. It may be the original so no surprise. Got about 5 clicks along and a warning light popped up. Temperature reading kept jumping between water temp and "5d" whatever the hell that meant. Turned around to head to Boyds. All seemed well apart from the light.

But it soon got worse. Speedo readout started going crazy and jumping all over. Then, about 500 metres from Boyds it cut out, cut in, cut out again, cut in again and then died. Stone fucking dead.

Got it to the shop and am now awaiting the grim news. "Probably something electric..." the man said.

I thought the fact that the latest valve clearance check showing nothing too startling was too good to be true. :ar15:

Erelyes
14th April 2016, 12:03
Yeah, sounds like low voltage to me. Hopefully new battery sorts it. I've heard of all sorts of weird shiz going down when batteries die.

slofox
14th April 2016, 14:29
Yeah, sounds like low voltage to me. Hopefully new battery sorts it. I've heard of all sorts of weird shiz going down when batteries die.

That would be reeeeeally nice if it was the case.

neels
14th April 2016, 15:44
I discovered the hard way one day that my ducati (which admittedly probably has a more agricultural charging system than your bike) does not run in anything like a sensible fashion when the battery dies, it could be push started sort of but only resulted in running very badly and disco lights on the instruments, cue trailer ride home.

The computery things don't like running with not enough voltage, and can be equally unhappy if the battery is not doing enough to smooth the rectified AC into something resembling DC.

If you're lucky a new battery will sort it......

nzspokes
14th April 2016, 18:54
I had exactly that when my battery died the other week. New battery and sorted.

Funny thing is the old battery is now working great in our electric mower.

SVboy
14th April 2016, 20:22
even though yours is the model past the dreaded k6/7 model and has probably had the (first)reg/rec recall, I am picking stator/reg failure esp with those Kms. On the bright side, I believe your bike is on the recall list for the 2nd reg recall, so that may soften the blow.

slofox
15th April 2016, 11:22
even though yours is the model past the dreaded k6/7 model and has probably had the (first)reg/rec recall, I am picking stator/reg failure esp with those Kms. On the bright side, I believe your bike is on the recall list for the 2nd reg recall, so that may soften the blow.

You get the lollipop for being right on the money on all counts including the second recall thingy. Plus Boyds found me a stator I can afford. Great shop that.