PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on Conti Motions?

nzspokes
15th April 2016, 06:38
Anybody riding Conti Motions? Whats your thoughts on them?

SVboy
15th April 2016, 07:17
Anybody riding Conti Motions? Whats your thoughts on them?

I had them on the rear of my GSX1200 Inazuma. Never gave me any problems. Didn't tend to push them. Got a good mileage out of them. For the price, seemed good. Would use again if I needed too.

Frodo
15th April 2016, 08:09
Put a set on my DS1000 Multistrada and have had 2 sets on my Shiver.
I'm not a ten tenths racer and I do about 20,000kms per year. I do some gravel and Contimotions have a bit more tread on the front that most equivalent tyres.
I had to fit a Metzeler Z8 during my recent South island trip to replaced a holed tyre. The rear cost $450 fitted. A set of Contimotions cost me $300 fitted (on special). The Z8 will last longer, but I find it gives a harsher ride than the Contimotion .
Not sure how long they'd last on a big bike or if you take a pillion regularly.
There are better tyres, but I have yet to find a better tyre at a similar price.
Contimotions are often discounted, so pick the time you buy them.

Ulsterkiwi
15th April 2016, 09:00
maybe its a case of how bad can they be? or what you expect from them? I think for instance, if I had a second bike that is occasionally ridden I would be putting a tyre like this on it.

nudemetalz
15th April 2016, 09:06
I have them on my V11. On my 3rd set now. Suit the bike quite well.
Sure they're no race tyre, tending to move around a bit if you push a little too hard but get good mileage.

Jin
15th April 2016, 09:44
Pardon my ignorance but what is a conti motion? Is it some sort of laxative?

nzspokes
15th April 2016, 10:14
maybe its a case of how bad can they be? or what you expect from them? I think for instance, if I had a second bike that is occasionally ridden I would be putting a tyre like this on it.

Will be for the road wheels for my VTR1k. Im currently on Conti Race softs on it which wont last a tour I have in a couple of weeks.

caseye
15th April 2016, 12:53
Two brand new Pirelli GT Angels on da bandit and already they're impressing the hell outa me with thier stickability.
Had PR3's last shoeing, they were bloody good and did 20,000K's. Last 3-5 a bit hairy though, front went outa shape, but tread still there, just had to move about a bit to find it and get traction.'
Have sworn off conti's years ago.

The End
15th April 2016, 16:55
VTR1k.

Watching this thread.

In need of some new rubber soon too :bleh:

Would the T30r's suit? They worked well on my Hornet (17,000kms)

mulletman
15th April 2016, 17:08
A mate has an 03 VTR and has done over 90k with various tyres and thought the Motions worked well and would happily use again,
his usual choice are michys.

Banditbandit
15th April 2016, 17:12
Conti Motions ?? I had one on the back of my big bandit - PASS. It let go too many times so I replaced it. I would never use one again and I would never recommend them ..

(Road Attacks, on the other hand ...)

Go with the Pilot Road 4s - awesome tyre ..

nzspokes
15th April 2016, 20:54
Conti Motions ?? I had one on the back of my big bandit - PASS. It let go too many times so I replaced it. I would never use one again and I would never recommend them ..

In what situations would it slip?

swbarnett
16th April 2016, 00:30
My wife has them on her Gladius. OK in the dry but absolutely horrible in the wet. She'll be replacing them before winter sets in.

AllanB
16th April 2016, 18:27
Will be for the road wheels for my VTR1k. Im currently on Conti Race softs on it which wont last a tour I have in a couple of weeks.

I'd send you more towards their Road Attack's (2) if you can get a good price. On the sporty side of sport touring and stick very well. Only point I'd make is on a fatty like the Bandit the rear may square off early.

Or T30 Bridgestones.

Also seeing a lot of the Pireli Angels on bikes lately.

nzspokes
16th April 2016, 18:33
I'd send you more towards their Road Attack's (2) if you can get a good price. On the sporty side of sport touring and stick very well. Only point I'd make is on a fatty like the Bandit the rear may square off early.

Or T30 Bridgestones.

Also seeing a lot of the Pireli Angels on bikes lately.

If I go down that track it will be sport attack 2s. Not heard much about the road attack.

AllanB
16th April 2016, 19:24
Ran a set of Road Attack 2's on my Hornet. Very nice tyres - on the sticky side or sport-touring (PR2-3 will outlast but Conti sticks better IMO). Only negative is at the arse end of the rear it squared off more than any other tyre I ran on the Honda. I understand there is a Road Attack 3 out now.

I ran sport attacks prior to the RA2's - SA has a more aggressive front profile but I did not notice any drop in stick with the RA2 and life was extended significantly.

Conti don't do dual compound but they cure the rubber at different rates between the centre and sides in production resulting in a firmer centre and soft edges. You don't visually see the transition line like dual compound tyres. Interesting variation on technology.

Also I've had success with a sport front and sport-touring rear set up - both tyres from the same maker - ie sport attack front, road attack rear. They will wear as a pair.

And of course tyres are bike and rider specific!

Lelitu
16th April 2016, 20:32
I've got a pair of conti road attack 2 evo's on the GSXR currently, just done a bit over 2k km on them so far.
I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Stick really well in the dry, and don't turn to shit in the wet.
road attack 2 evo is the replacement for the road attack 2, just released end of last year.

pritch
16th April 2016, 20:50
There hasn't been a bulk test in a while that I have seen but Continental are not first rate tyres. Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzler, Dunlop & Pirelli all produce top rated tyres. Continental are not quite in that class but that's not to say they may not suit what you want from a tyre.

nzspokes
16th April 2016, 21:16
There hasn't been a bulk test in a while that I have seen but Continental are not first rate tyres. Bridgestone, Michelin, Metzler, Dunlop & Pirelli all produce top rated tyres. Continental are not quite in that class but that's not to say they may not suit what you want from a tyre.

Have Metzlers on my Bandit. Horrid dead things. Wont buy another set.

boman
16th April 2016, 21:31
Have you thought of Bridgestone.

I have run Michelin for years, but the new scooter came with Bridgestone S20. and I am very impressed. The up side is the new Bridgestone S21 is rated better.

AllanB
17th April 2016, 00:45

Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use. They all come down to the same as any tyre review on KB - bike and rider suitability and personal preference.

To the point where the magazine reviews are almost worthless. When did they ever say - OK if you find them on sale .......

The first generation Pirelli angel reviewed well in magazines. Did not review well in the wet on public forums. I'm backing he public as the tyre was updated to the GT very quickly.

Plus the mags rely on advertising money ...... shit relatively recently one UK mag is very pro Skinko - they give them lots of tyres to use on their bikes and multi bike tests as control tyres. Never ridden on one but they were rating them. Me ..... nah

Tyre prejudice - it's a issue in New Zealand.

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 07:13
Have you thought of Bridgestone.

I have run Michelin for years, but the new scooter came with Bridgestone S20. and I am very impressed. The up side is the new Bridgestone S21 is rated better.

Ive recently gone through a pair of Bridgestone BT016s which I liked. But want something good in the wet as we are heading into winter.

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 07:14
Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use. They all come down to the same as any tyre review on KB - bike and rider suitability and personal preference.

To the point where the magazine reviews are almost worthless. When did they ever say - OK if you find them on sale .......

The first generation Pirelli angel reviewed well in magazines. Did not review well in the wet on public forums. I'm backing he public as the tyre was updated to the GT very quickly.

Plus the mags rely on advertising money ...... shit relatively recently one UK mag is very pro Skinko - they give them lots of tyres to use on their bikes and multi bike tests as control tyres. Never ridden on one but they were rating them. Me ..... nah

Agreed, I dont trust magazines for reviews on anything.

boman
17th April 2016, 09:37

Many of the car tyre tests were done with a one off tyre made by the parent company (Dunlop, Goodyear Continental...etc.) They were not even close to what the public could buy. These were done because in certain places the tyre test had a lot of merit and influence on the buying public.

I can only assume that motorcycle tyre tests are done the same.

I too would go with a seat of the pants test.

boman
17th April 2016, 09:38
Ive recently gone through a pair of Bridgestone BT016s which I liked. But want something good in the wet as we are heading into winter.

I am very happy with the S20 Bridgestone's in the wet. But then the bike has a lot of rider aids to assist the tyre too.

pritch
17th April 2016, 09:49
Hmmmm I have read many a bulk top sports tyre test over the years. They tend to be the ultra sports tyres designed for track/street use.

The BIKE magazine tests I posted links to a few years back did test sports tyres as you suggest, and there was a subsequent separate test for sport/touring tyres which was the one I was particularly interested in.

They used two bikes, two riders, and a team of tyre fitters. The tyres were tested "blind", the riders did not know what they were testing until after they had marked them, it was about as fair a test as you are likely to get. It must have been a lot of work though, so such tests will probably be rare.

Tyre prejudice is real. I threw a set of Bridgestones away because they were dangerous in the wet. Bridgestones get some good reports but I won't buy them again, I'll stick with brands that have not let me down. Call me prejudiced.

Someone else commented on Pirelli Angels. Mine were fine in the wet. The GT variant didn't replace the Angel, it's a different tyre for heavier bikes. The current Pirelli recommendation for the S4R I had is still Angel, not Angel GT.

If I'm feeling adventurous next time it's time to buy tyres I might try PR4s, or whatever number they are up to by then. Haven't had Michelins since the 70s.

cheshirecat
17th April 2016, 11:17

I've just gone back to Shinkos yet again after CC road attacks 1 and 2, mich pilots. RR 2's drifted out a bit too much after a bit of wear. Never tried Bridgestone's. Find after one-third wear Shinkos hold up better, I'm not a scratcher anymore though.

swbarnett
17th April 2016, 12:17
mich pilots. RR 2's drifted out a bit too much after a bit of wear.
My PR4s are about 90% done and still grip like nothing else I've tried, both wet and dry. These are the first tyre I've ever lost the chicken strips on (without even trying).

I'll need another rear in a month or two and my mechanic wants me to try a Pirelli Angel GT. I'm told similar life to the PR4s, if not longer, with almost as good wet grip (should be enough). And the stiffer side wall is supposed to give a better feel even on lighter bikes than they are primarily aimed at.

I put the PR4s on because of massive tar bleed on my daily commute. Be interesting to see how the GTs handle it.

AllanB
17th April 2016, 12:49
My PR4s are about 90% done and still grip like nothing else I've tried, both wet and dry. These are the first tyre I've ever lost the chicken strips on (without even trying).

Ah - se I'd just spoon another PR4 on if I were you - you are very pleased with the tyre, it's their current model and unless your guy is getting the Angel super cheap for you ........

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 13:24
I am very happy with the S20 Bridgestone's in the wet. But then the bike has a lot of rider aids to assist the tyre too.

I guess its what the rider is comfortable with and how they suit the suspension setup etc. Your bike just has a smidge my HP than mine :lol: which will be a big factor.

My Favorite on the bike has been the BT016s. But will give some conti's a go.

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 13:25

I'll need another rear in a month or two and my mechanic wants me to try a Pirelli Angel GT. I'm told similar life to the PR4s, if not longer, with almost as good wet grip (should be enough). And the stiffer side wall is supposed to give a better feel even on lighter bikes than they are primarily aimed at.

I put the PR4s on because of massive tar bleed on my daily commute. Be interesting to see how the GTs handle it.

Ive found any of the PR range give a dead feel. I still think PR2s are the best of them with 3s being the worst.

swbarnett
17th April 2016, 16:12
Ah - se I'd just spoon another PR4 on if I were you - you are very pleased with the tyre, it's their current model and unless your guy is getting the Angel super cheap for you ........
This was my initial thought. Only talked to them yesterday. The price may be a bit of a sweetner.

Ive found any of the PR range give a dead feel. I still think PR2s are the best of them with 3s being the worst.
Interesting. I was running BT45s before this. Didn't give much confidence in the wet. I've had Conti road attacks before but found they squared off relatively quick (motorway commute) and didn't turn in at all well after that.

Ulsterkiwi
17th April 2016, 16:16

for reasons I won't hijack this thread with I was changing from Angel GTs (nothing to do with being unhappy with the tyre) I was offered PR4s or T30s. The advice I was given about the PR4s was exactly that, much reduced feedback giving a dead feel. The T30s I put on are definitely comparable to the Angel GT and the Angel GT really suited me. I found the Bridgestone 023 OE tyres not confidence inspiring.
I did have Road Attack 2 EVO on the front for a wee while and liked it well enough. The guy who fitted the RA2 said the Motion was a good enough tyre for the money. You gets whats you pays for was his advice.

I guess all of this has taught me you don't really know until you get a tyre on and give it a go regardless of what others tell you or advise.

caseye
17th April 2016, 16:39
Done a thousand K's on the new Pirelli GT Angels, front and rear in the last 2 weeks. Great in the dry and good and predictable in the wet, not too sure about giving them as much trust as I did my PR2's though.
Had one little sideways today on a massively swept climbing left hander between Whatawhata and Ngaruawahia coming north, in very wet constant rain, just a bit and really no drama's but the Michi;'s would not have done it there so perhaps I'm going to take a while to get their potential out of them.

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 18:18
Probably enough grip for me then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzzX8GdqF74

AllanB
17th April 2016, 19:15
Now I'm embarrassed about my chicken strips ......

Love to see the tyre after that lap, I got a decent looking ball up on the RA2 on a perfect Akaroa GP run one mid-week annual leave day.

Now that roads gone to the pack :crazy: and I am somewhat careful on it.

caspernz
17th April 2016, 19:21
The S20 set I ran on the busa were fine. In the wet they were OK as long as I could keep a bit of heat in them. Personally I reckon it's hard to better the PR4 as an all round tyre. Will also add that tyre pressures and suspension settings need changing between S20 and PR4. But yep, we all have our own preferences...

nzspokes
17th April 2016, 19:22
Now I'm embarrassed about my chicken strips ......

Love to see the tyre after that lap, I got a decent looking ball up on the RA2 on a perfect Akaroa GP run one mid-week annual leave day.

Now that roads gone to the pack :crazy: and I am somewhat careful on it.

To many paparazzi on it now?

AllanB
17th April 2016, 22:00
To many paparazzi on it now?

Traffic has increased significantly, road deteriorated and patchy maintenance works turning it into a typical NZ goat track.

Kickaha
18th April 2016, 05:57
Yeah I don't get why people change when they are happy with what they're using, although I don't use price as a factor when considering tyres

Interesting. I was running BT45s before this. Didn't give much confidence in the wet.
Yet I've won races in the pissing rain on them aganst much larger bikes

Banditbandit
18th April 2016, 09:53
In what situations would it slip?

Under mild braking - unexpectedly ..

swbarnett
18th April 2016, 09:58
Yeah I don't get why people change when they are happy with what they're using, although I don't use price as a factor when considering tyres
The only reason would be financial. I've pretty much decided to stick with the PR4s.

How much tar bleed do you get on the track? I decided to try the PR4s after I ended up on the wrong side of the road after a massive fish tail on a down hill corner. They weren't that bad in the wet on a decent surface.

Maha
18th April 2016, 10:16

I had the same experience with T30's, they were great at first, but went back to the favoured PR tyre. My conclusion was that I had been riding on the PR range of tyre for a few years with absolute confidence, so why change?

Kickaha's first sentence above is 100% correct.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 18:09
although I don't use price as a factor when considering tyres

I do. What we get charged for tyres in NZ is a piss take. Yes I will shop for a deal.

Lelitu
18th April 2016, 18:52
I do. What we get charged for tyres in NZ is a piss take. Yes I will shop for a deal.

still cheaper than an off.

price may influence where I buy tyres, but not which model tyre I buy.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 19:04
still cheaper than an off.

price may influence where I buy tyres, but not which model tyre I buy.

Well I dont buy crap, which was the point of the thread. To see if the Motions were ok. Im open to model as a good tyre is a good tyre. I prefer a sportier tyre over say anything in the PR range.

george formby
18th April 2016, 19:40

45's were my first introduction to Bridgestones, a revelation compared to the Dunlops they replaced. I rode year round out of necessity in the North of England and eventually Scotland on them. I up graded through 020's, 021's and 023's over the years. They all stuck in all weathers. I do remember one of them having a sharp turn in which was a surprise. Now I'm on T30's. As somebody mentioned I've had to play with the suspension to get fully happy with them.

I'm not selling them but just trying to make a point that I believe tires are so close now that a lot of interpretation is in the head.

As for tar snakes..... Nothing sticks to them, they cannot be ignored in the wet. That's faith in yourself. Not a fair judgement of tires.

It's only in recent years that I have gone out of my way to "test" new tires methodically. It always rains when I get them fitted so I head off to a spacious car park and do some cone work, braking, etc, to scrub them in. Then I head for some familiar, bumpy, badly sealed, twisty roads and get a gauge on them.
I know how new tires have handled this in the past and worn ones, so it takes the imagination out of my assessment.

Just sayin. I got fed up reading opposing opinions based on feel, a moment, etc, without facts. We all ride differently, on different bikes and different roads, so it was a bit of a quagmire.

AllanB
18th April 2016, 20:15

Try Jake Wilson (USA) - exchange rate is good and may be worth a punt if you are happy to spoon them on or have a friendly tyre dude. I got a set of PP years back from them - arrived at my door in a week!

AllanB
18th April 2016, 20:17
Well I dont buy crap, which was the point of the thread. To see if the Motions were ok. Im open to model as a good tyre is a good tyre. I prefer a sportier tyre over say anything in the PR range.

Motions are on a rung below the Conti Road Attack in their range - more touring/commuting than sport/touring. Pilot Road 3/4 are sportier than Motions.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 20:26
Try Jake Wilson (USA) - exchange rate is good and may be worth a punt if you are happy to spoon them on or have a friendly tyre dude. I got a set of PP years back from them - arrived at my door in a week!

I fit my own as a rule. Forgot about them to be fair.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 20:27
Motions are on a rung below the Conti Road Attack in their range - more touring/commuting than sport/touring. Pilot Road 3/4 are sportier than Motions.

Im not going for Motions now. Will look tomorrow at road attacks or sport attacks.

Madness
18th April 2016, 20:33
Im not going for Motions now. Will look tomorrow at road attacks or sport attacks.

Make sure you keep us posted, eh? :corn:

Maha
18th April 2016, 21:14

Until someone points out any pit falls on the Attacks (sport or road) then the update will be updated.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 21:24
Until someone points out any pit falls on the Attacks (sport or road) then the update will be updated.

It will probably be Road Attacks as the bike no longer does track, but then again I like a corner.

Madness
18th April 2016, 21:31
I like a corner.

Metzelers are good for corners.

swbarnett
18th April 2016, 22:03
I prefer a sportier tyre over say anything in the PR range.
Are you able to elaborate? I've always been a little confused on what makes one tyre sporty and another not.

As for tar snakes..... Nothing sticks to them, they cannot be ignored in the wet.
Maybe it's the particular combination of rider/bike/tyre that I've found (good reason to stick with it) but the PR4s I've got on definitely do. I've tested this on a number of occasions in the wet with the snakes and tar bleed on my daily commute.

nzspokes
18th April 2016, 22:08
Are you able to elaborate? I've always been a little confused on what makes one tyre sporty and another not.

Shape and tread compound. Sport tyre will be more of a V shape so turns more aggressively. Tyres like the PR range are more round, I guess for stability.

Swivel
18th April 2016, 22:36
I just got a pair fitted on my Bandit 1200, fitted and balanced for under $400. So far so good. I try not to ride in the rain so I can't make a comment on how they perform on wet. I heard you can get good kms from them. If you’re on a real tight budget and not too heavy on the throttle I recommend them.

pritch
18th April 2016, 22:40
Three random bits of advice on tyres that I have collected over the years:

1. You have to have faith in your tyres.

2. The more honest you are with yourself as to how you are going to use your tyres, the better value you will get from them.

And possibly a little at odds with that?

3. Better to have more tyre than you need than to need more tyre than you have.

Banditbandit
19th April 2016, 09:35
It will probably be Road Attacks as the bike no longer does track, but then again I like a corner.

You will love them ..

nzspokes
19th April 2016, 15:37

Road Attacks 2 evo's have been fitted. Balanced up both with no weights. Good start.

AllanB
19th April 2016, 20:41
Road Attacks 2 evo's have been fitted. Balanced up both with no weights. Good start.

Cool. Bloody wheel weights messing up the looks. I paint mine black to stealth them ....... I know. Issues ..... stressful job and all that.

Contis have that cool pre-scuffed tyre surface. Heat and enjoy.

SVboy
19th April 2016, 21:12
Holy thread drift batman! Just want to say that I spooned on a set of the new Bridgestone S21s on to my GSXR 600 about 1800kms ago. Very impressed. A real step up from my beloved S20s and quite different too. Sorry, as you were.......

nzspokes
24th April 2016, 17:00
Well just got back from an overnighter up Norf. I really like the Conti Road Attack 2 evo's. We did about 600ks over 2 days. Ive run them to the edges and they feel very planted.

Was a bit wet on the way home and they held well. I like em.

Berg
27th April 2016, 09:27
Mrs Berg has done over 100,000km on Road Attacks and swares by them in all weathers. I've done about 50,000km and also like them. Both our new bikes will be changed to them as soon as the current tyres have been destroyed.
Have talked daughter and son in law into trying them as well and both are very inpressed by the grip and the tyre life.
Had Motions on my old ER6 and, for a budget tyre, they did ok. On the bigger bikes I prefur the Road Attacks tho.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 11:41
Mrs Berg has done over 100,000km on Road Attacks and swares by them in all weathers. I've done about 50,000km and also like them. Both our new bikes will be changed to them as soon as the current tyres have been destroyed.
Have talked daughter and son in law into trying them as well and both are very inpressed by the grip and the tyre life.
Had Motions on my old ER6 and, for a budget tyre, they did ok. On the bigger bikes I prefur the Road Attacks tho.
I went away from road attacks because they didn't stand up to my daily commute (too much motorway). They flat spotted quite early and then didn't want to corner. Otherwise I liked them a lot. I've done 13k on my first set of PR4s and they've only just started to Flatt spot.

Banditbandit
27th April 2016, 11:46
I've just gone in for a new rear PR4 - 10,000 ks on the old one and it is buggered ... buit hey, 10,000ks is the most I've ever gotten out of a rear ..

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 13:52
I've just gone in for a new rear PR4 - 10,000 ks on the old one and it is buggered ... buit hey, 10,000ks is the most I've ever gotten out of a rear ..
I've been told that the casing isn't as strong as some and doesn't suit larger bikes, What's it on?

Banditbandit
27th April 2016, 14:42
I've been told that the casing isn't as strong as some and doesn't suit larger bikes, What's it on?

1250 Bandit - I've run PRs on it for a while - and this is my second rear PR4 ..

The casing is not the issue - the fact that the centre is almost flat all the way round is .. it was handling like a bucket of shit ...

If by larger bikes you mean leadwings and such like - then I don't have a clue .. just know I love the tyre (140klicks round the outside of a car in a corner in the pissing rain and it was like the bike was on rails ...)

Blackbird
27th April 2016, 14:56

You use the GT version heavier bikes like ST 1100/1300's and the like. It's all on their website. Tyres are always good for an argument but I've 3 sets of PR3's and 2 sets of PR4's on my last 2 bikes so am clearly happy with them for my type of riding. 15k from a rear on my Street Triple and yet to determine on my GSX-S1000. The only thing I'd comment on is that despite Michelin's claim of a 20% longer life for the PR4 over the PR3, they lasted an identical distance from my experience.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 15:28
The casing is not the issue - the fact that the centre is almost flat all the way round is .. it was handling like a bucket of shit ...
Interesting. This is the problem I had with the Road Attacks.

If by larger bikes you mean leadwings and such like - then I don't have a clue ..
Possibly, just something I heard.

just know I love the tyre (140klicks round the outside of a car in a corner in the pissing rain and it was like the bike was on rails ...)
I can't do anything but totally agree with this. For me it was that tar bleed that sold me on their wet grip.

Banditbandit
27th April 2016, 15:53
Interesting. This is the problem I had with the Road Attacks.

Possibly, just something I heard.

I can't do anything but totally agree with this. For me it was that tar bleed that sold me on their wet grip.

I've had the rear move on seal bleed a couple of times - but a lot less than on other tyres ... I run Road Attacks on my 650 Bandit ... they are a better tyre to chuck a bike around on (I think) but I cut out a rear in 3,000 klicks ... don't care it was fucking fun doing that ..

Maha
27th April 2016, 16:12
I've had the rear move on seal bleed a couple of times - but a lot less than on other tyres ... I run Road Attacks on my 650 Bandit ... they are a better tyre to chuck a bike around on (I think) but I cut out a rear in 3,000 klicks ... don't care it was fucking fun doing that ..

It's clicks and the term relates to speed not distance...:corn:

IE: ''140klicks round the outside of a car in a corner in the pissing rain''= correct. ''but I cut out a rear in 3,000 klicks''= incorrect.

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 17:00
I went away from road attacks because they didn't stand up to my daily commute (too much motorway). They flat spotted quite early and then didn't want to corner. Otherwise I liked them a lot. I've done 13k on my first set of PR4s and they've only just started to Flatt spot.

Fucked if I would ever run a PR4.

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 17:05

Another decent run on the Conti's today down the Waikato and Highway 22. Great tyres. Turn well, nice and solid on the edges. Dont turn as fast as the race tyres I had on it before but turn well enough to be fun.

Banditbandit
27th April 2016, 17:07
It's clicks and the term relates to speed not distance...:corn:

IE: ''140klicks round the outside of a car in a corner in the pissing rain''= correct. ''but I cut out a rear in 3,000 klicks''= incorrect.

:rofl:

The word does not even exist .. not in the Oxford Dictionary - how can you correct my use of a non-existent word ???

After that I'm not surprised ...

Maha
27th April 2016, 18:38
:rofl:

The word does not even exist .. not in the Oxford Dictionary - how can you correct my use of a non-existent word ???

Neither does word texted but people still use it.... that's how.

babysteps
27th April 2016, 18:47

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=321199&d=1461733208

!sdrawkcab no meht tup uoy fi sneppah tahw stahT

Maha
27th April 2016, 18:47

Seems Michelin is not alone, another tyre manufacture has had a problem or two along the way.

On August 11, 2014, Continental Tire recalled 170,000 defective motorcycle tires. The recall includes Conti Attack, Road Attack, Sport Attack, and Race Attack tire lines. Continental’s Korbach, Germany, plant manufactured all the tires. Affected tires have an increased risk of sudden air loss and tread separation.

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 19:09

Could be an explanation if it was in fact backwards. But its not.

Kickaha
27th April 2016, 19:18
Every brand and type has failures, no armchair expert looking at a pic on the internet can say for definite why that tyre failed

Could be an explanation if it was in fact backwards. But its not.
It would be very unlikely to make any difference if it was fitted backwards

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 19:24
Every brand and type has failures, no armchair expert looking at a pic on the internet can say for definite why that tyre failed

It would be very unlikely to make any difference if it was fitted backwards

Never said I was an expert. But thats enough to stop me buying one.

AllanB
27th April 2016, 19:58
I saw delaminating images when the PR3 was released too. Always appears to be in the USA ..........

Blackbird
27th April 2016, 20:33
I saw delaminating images when the PR3 was released too. Always appears to be in the USA ..........

.....and Angels, .....and Avons Storms. Most manufacturers regrettably have batch problems or some other issue at one time or another.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 21:17
That is pretty horrific. Got any more photos of the tyre? Are you aware of how the tyre was treated before it broke? By the looks of the bike's tail I'm guessing this was the result of an accident.

One incident short on facts won't stop me using them.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 21:21
Just checked mine. That tyre is in fact mounted correctly.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 21:28
.....and Angels, .....and Avons Storms. Most manufacturers regrettably have batch problems or some other issue at one time or another.
Exactly. No large manufacturer of anything complex is immune. The higher the complexity, the greater the chances of failure.

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 21:36
That is pretty horrific. Got any more photos of the tyre? Are you aware of how the tyre was treated before it broke? By the looks of the bike's tail I'm guessing this was the result of an accident.

It will me. tyre ripped the tail section off and whipped the shit out of the rider.

Madness
27th April 2016, 21:43
I won't buy French tyres.

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 22:13
I won't buy French tyres.
Any particular reason or do you just hate the french?

swbarnett
27th April 2016, 22:13
It will me.
I respect your choice and can well understand it.

As has been said, though, every manufacturer has their problems. Probably just as likely to happen with any tyre brand unless a trend can be established.

tyre ripped the tail section off
Yeah, that occurred to me as a possibility after I'd posted.

and whipped the shit out of the rider.
That part's really just an ad for a good jacket.

Madness
27th April 2016, 22:22
Any particular reason or do you just hate the french?

Yes .

AllanB
27th April 2016, 22:30
That part's really just an ad for a good jacket.

See back protectors can help! He's also wearing shorts ........... could be natures way of eliminating fools ........

I remember the Bridestones fitted to Falcons around year 2000 having sidewall cracking issues if the tyre pressures were not kept high.

swbarnett
28th April 2016, 00:16
See back protectors can help!
Nah, a leather jacket would probably have been enough.

Maha
28th April 2016, 07:24

You read this bit I posted earlier? That Michelin Tyre could well be an isolated incident, unlike the chosen tyre of the OP. Has Michelin ever had a massive recall of tyre? Fact is no tyre is exempt from failure. It is very rare under normal riding conditions.

On August 11, 2014, Continental Tire recalled 170,000 defective motorcycle tires. The recall includes Conti Attack, Road Attack, Sport Attack, and Race Attack tire lines. Continental’s Korbach, Germany, plant manufactured all the tires. Affected tires have an increased risk of sudden air loss and tread separation.

nzspokes
28th April 2016, 07:31
You read this bit I posted earlier? That Michelin Tyre could well be an isolated incident, unlike the chosen tyre of the OP. Has Michelin ever had a massive recall of tyre? Fact is no tyre is exempt from failure. It is very rare but under normal riding conditions.

Not real smart are you.

James Deuce
28th April 2016, 07:46
Conti Motions work really will IF your suspension is either setup or modified to perfectly suit your riding. They were great on my Z750 but that had $2.5k of suspension mods. They were just awful on my XJR1300 with stock suspension.

nzspokes
28th April 2016, 07:54
Conti Motions work really will IF your suspension is either setup or modified to perfectly suit your riding. They were great on my Z750 but that had $2.5k of suspension mods. They were just awful on my XJR1300 with stock suspension.

To be fair that would be true on most bikes and tyre combos. Unless the tyres were just cheap crap.

Kickaha
28th April 2016, 08:12
Has Michelin ever had a massive recall of tyre? [/I]

Depends if 19,000 tyres is considered massive ?

http://thekneeslider.com/michelin-pilot-power-motorcycle-tire-recall/

You will find at some stage every manufacturer has had a recall for some reason

James Deuce
28th April 2016, 08:19
To be fair that would be true on most bikes and tyre combos. Unless the tyres were just cheap crap.

The Conti Motions are startlingly bad on a bike with poor suspension setup/componentry. Which is odd because that's their target market.

PR3/4s on a TNAB 1250 work absolutely fine. Conti Motions make a TNAB stagger over even mild bumps and make the steering super heavy. No amount of fiddling with tyre pressures will fix it. Without better than average rebound control, Conti Motions behave very oddly.

nzspokes
28th April 2016, 08:22
The Conti Motions are startlingly bad on a bike with poor suspension setup/componentry. Which is odd because that's their target market.

PR3/4s on a TNAB 1250 work absolutely fine. Conti Motions make a TNAB stagger over even mild bumps and make the steering super heavy. No amount of fiddling with tyre pressures will fix it. Without better than average rebound control, Conti Motions behave very oddly.

Well nobody can accuse 1250s of having decent suspension for sure.

Ulsterkiwi
29th April 2016, 19:20
Well nobody can accuse 1250s of having decent suspension for sure.

hey this is KB! you can make any accusation you want! there doesn't have to be any actual basis for it.
Its interesting, I couldnt wait to get shot of the OE tyres on my TNAB but the Bridgestone 023 has a dedicated following (probably) and remains, I am told, OE for the FJR1300, a bigger more powerful beastie.
Now my suspenders are set up for me and my (not inconsiderable) weight and riding I wonder if the 023 would be an option again?

Oh no, have just realised this thread is actually a place of discussion, debate and ideas.....MODERATORS!!!!!!!!

eldog
29th April 2016, 19:29
[QUOTE=Ulsterkiwi;1130967079I couldnt wait to get shot of the OE tyres on my TNAB [/QUOTE]
There's a difference between the 1250s and FA model suspenders?

as long as it inspires you with confidence it doesn't matter what other opinions are, they are just that opinions, until you test it out yourself, then you can make an informed decision. It's the fun part checking out just what the tyres can do. It's getting back up off the deck that hurts.

Spokes it sounds like you bit the bullet and tried them out and they suit you:headbang:
Trouble is it's hard to do a real comparison test between tyres.

let us know how you get on during the winter/wet/icy season.

nzspokes
29th April 2016, 19:47
hey this is KB! you can make any accusation you want! there doesn't have to be any actual basis for it.
Its interesting, I couldnt wait to get shot of the OE tyres on my TNAB but the Bridgestone 023 has a dedicated following (probably) and remains, I am told, OE for the FJR1300, a bigger more powerful beastie.
Now my suspenders are set up for me and my (not inconsiderable) weight and riding I wonder if the 023 would be an option again?

Oh no, have just realised this thread is actually a place of discussion, debate and ideas.....MODERATORS!!!!!!!!

Stock forks and rear shock is mud on them. Springs and a revalve sorts the front and an Ohlins/Busa shock sorts the back.

AllanB
29th April 2016, 19:49
Forums are always a seat of the pants test of that specific rider on his/her specific bike. If you have the same bike it's a good starting point to ask.

The Honda Hornet forums loved Pilot Powers. I fitted a set. Then changed them out 1500 kms later. Just did not suit me.

Spooning a new rear on the Ducati soon - has factory Rosso Corsas - popping a Rosso II on the rear (Corsa front). Given I've not stressed the Corsas much I doubt I'll notice any difference other than a longer life from the rear. I've had success in the past with a sportier front and street/sport rear.

Should be a pair as a change over next time.

Interestingly it has been a long time since I have done the 2 rear to one front change. A long diet of IL4's resulted in both tyres being changed as a pair. The old internet V2 being harder on rears theory appears valid.

As a side note recently on a expensive late model European bike I witnessed the most worn front tyre I've seen for decades. Gave me the shits. Must have handled like absolute crap. I though how is this possible? - ah, new bikes now get three year WOF's - so no governing body looks at your rubber (unless you are pulled over by a cop or have a parking warden spy it).

Ulsterkiwi
1st May 2016, 08:59
Stock forks and rear shock is mud on them. Springs and a revalve sorts the front and an Ohlins/Busa shock sorts the back.

Have a Nitron in the back. Mr Taylor did the front as you suggested a while back. Different bike.

Ulsterkiwi
1st May 2016, 09:04
Forums are always a seat of the pants test of that specific rider on his/her specific bike. If you have the same bike it's a good starting point to ask.

The Honda Hornet forums loved Pilot Powers. I fitted a set. Then changed them out 1500 kms later. Just did not suit me.

Spooning a new rear on the Ducati soon - has factory Rosso Corsas - popping a Rosso II on the rear (Corsa front). Given I've not stressed the Corsas much I doubt I'll notice any difference other than a longer life from the rear. I've had success in the past with a sportier front and street/sport rear.

Should be a pair as a change over next time.

Interestingly it has been a long time since I have done the 2 rear to one front change. A long diet of IL4's resulted in both tyres being changed as a pair. The old internet V2 being harder on rears theory appears valid.

As a side note recently on a expensive late model European bike I witnessed the most worn front tyre I've seen for decades. Gave me the shits. Must have handled like absolute crap. I though how is this possible? - ah, new bikes now get three year WOF's - so no governing body looks at your rubber (unless you are pulled over by a cop or have a parking warden spy it).

I have often thought about the three year warrants. I actually ride my bike rather than house it in the garage between polishes. I am on my fourth full set of tyres and still have a year to run on the original warrant.