PDA

View Full Version : My scooter has shit a brick (pics included)

Warren
28th September 2005, 23:37
On the start of my journey from Kaiapoi to Christchurch the engine died and all the oil pored out. I pushed it home thinking the worse, and that appears to be true. Today I took a closer look with a high powered light and found a massive hole in the crankcase (?). I know this will be expensive as it is out of it's 1 year warranty (to 18-03-05) and the last owner was very late with the first 1000km service (2857km). Will sportzone suzuki be sympathetic to this? and how much would something like this cost?

My mother has a scooter exactly the same with only 500kms on it which I am now borrowing and I also managed to drop on the ground today and get a few small scratchs. I hope there are not serious problems with this type of scooter.

Paul in NZ
29th September 2005, 08:36
Warren old chook...

I think you are about to become our subject matter expert on this... Good luck...

WRT
29th September 2005, 09:12
Its worth at least talking to them, I mean, you would hope that spewing oil all over your tyre while in motion is not the norm for this sort of vehicle . . .

Sniper
4th October 2005, 13:33
Pop in and see the guys mate. The only thing to do is ask. Good luck.

Postie
4th October 2005, 14:12
do you know how it happened, it looks like the tyre could have picked something up and broken the crank case, if that has happened, the likelyhood of any warranty covering that is slim.

Motohaus
4th October 2005, 14:15
if you approach the bike shop with an open mind and are resonable you would be amased at how helpful and forth coming they can be i now with me it is all in the attitude of the person none of us like to be accused or threatened with this that and the other i am sure that you will have success in just enquire if they can get anything out if suzuki new zealand as this is not got for or and should not happen to a late model scooter can't hurt to ask

k14
4th October 2005, 14:16
How could the owner go that far over for the first service, very bad maintenance indeed. I would be surprised that was made by something flicking up off the road (I could have though). I'm thinking con rod.

Sniper
4th October 2005, 14:36
How could the owner go that far over for the first service, very bad maintenance indeed. I would be surprised that was made by something flicking up off the road (I could have though). I'm thinking con rod.

Thats what I thought when I saw it, but wouldn't it cause a bit more damage than just a crack?

texmo
4th October 2005, 15:00
The crank could have easily done that menaing you need new crank piston casings pretty much a new motor, That happened to my pk50 which put out around 2hp....

Warren
2nd November 2005, 20:55
It was the conrod that smashed a hole in the crankcase. The scooter got carted down to sportzone suzuki and they took the engine out and sent it to wellington (Suzuki New Zealand) who got to make the decision on weather it would be replaced, and that decision was not my way. The broken conrod was due to hydraulic failure, I never checked the oil level myself (I really should have) but I never got around to it and only normally check at the normal service intervals.

The mechanic at SportZone Suzuki has found a second hand engine from a wrecker in Auckland for $750 (1900kms) and will be putting that in the bike. I guess I will have to bite the bullet here.

It was a bit frightning riding the other scooter (my mum's one that I am borrowing) as I kept expecting the same thing to happen to it, but alas it has been working perfectly.

Motu
2nd November 2005, 21:08
Hydraulic failure??

marty
2nd November 2005, 21:34
when he selected the undercarriage up.

and since when has kaiapoi to christchurch been a 'journey'?

Ixion
2nd November 2005, 21:39
Hydraulic failure. Checking oil level at service intervals. Isn't this a twosmoker?

zooter
2nd November 2005, 22:13
She's a fourstroke.

Ixion
2nd November 2005, 22:18
Ah. That makes more sense then.

Motu
2nd November 2005, 22:36
F1 cars are 4 stroke and they have hydraulic failure.....A motor will hydraulic if it suddenly swallows a lung full of liquid,that could blow a bottom end apart.I don't think that's what happened here.....I guess a motor running out of oil could be termed a sort of hydraulic failure,but it's not the sort of terminology a bike shop would use.....mind you,some over qualified suit sitting at a desk in Suzuki's head office who's never physicaly touched an engine could easily word it in such a way.....

Ixion
2nd November 2005, 22:38
Yeah, that's what I'd assume. Hydraulic = oil. It ran out of oil, seized a bearing and threw a rod. But somebody has to use a big pretentious term. Maybe thought the customer was less likely to argue about "hydraulic failure, Sir, not covered by warranty I'm afraid", then "you didn't put oil in it"

Warren
3rd November 2005, 06:56
Strange termanology but it is what they relayed to me and is probably quoted from the manual. At least I know that fish die of hydraulic failure when they are taken away from water.

I guess they can always find something to blame the customer with. It has 4,000km service intervals and it was serviced by them less than 2000kms ago (albiet very late for it's first service) but according to the manual I should be performing daily oil checks.

Motu
3rd November 2005, 07:19
Left to itself and fed a steady diet of fuel and oil at the correct intervals an internal combustion engine could almost run forever - they die under the care of humans....

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 10:38
looks fatal :mellow: