PDA

View Full Version : Cycletreads Tyre Guys are the best.

caseye
17th April 2016, 20:53
4 weeks ago I took my bandit to them on a Saturday morning, with two very tired old Michelin PR2's that had done over 20,000K's still on the rims, very dodgy riding in the rain that morning, my mate who I had gone to see and go for a ride with took one look at em and said we're going to cycletreads. 3 hours later ( no ride, sorry Andy) I rolled out on two brand new Pirelli GT Angels.Yes I too have to wait in the service lane que, no worries it works the same for everyone..
Thanks guys they work bloody well. Your Service was excellent and I've put a few K's on those tyres now and they work every bit as well as you said they would Mike.
A week later I arranged for two nice new shoes for wifeys boulevard ( just the littley, M50).
Once I got there on a cool Saturday morning, nice an early, first in line even, the bike went on a hoist and the rear went straight on.OK, where's the front?
Oh no, not here, no major, current front is ok for now.
Ride down into the rear concrete car park and do a lap or 2 to be sure everything is OK, just because Dave said I should. It is, I ride up the drive, toot and wave to the lads and go home.
47 K's later, I stop literally meters from my place. The bike has just started to feel tight and is pulling up hard. I put the side stand ( they don't have a main one) down and got off, the rear hub was smoking! I kid you not it was very hot and had discoloured the centre of the rim. Smoke was brown and I'm sure if I'd attempted the last 30 or 40 meters to home I'd have had a brake fire.
Well, I got out my trusty cell device and called the shop, guys there's something wrong with wifeys bike.
Pauly immediately jumped in the van and inside 3/4's of an hour the bike was in the back of the van and back off to the shop.
Exactly what went wrong is still not clear, I was standing beside the bike and talking with the guys as they changed the rear tyre, I saw nothing that alarmed me and I'm sure it was done properly, however the rear brake shoes had jammed on, probably the last time I used the brake, about 200 m's from home.
I arranged with Pauly to service the bike while it was at the shop and to make sure the new front tyre was put on and I'd come get it on Thursday.
I rang ahead on the Thursday, yep bikes all go, been serviced, brake shoes replaced (not particularly worn but showing their 20 thousand K's) tyre will be going on soon, should be on before you get here. I got a mate to drive me across the bridge on a Thursday afternoon at 5 pm, we got there in less than an hour, Heaven.
the bike was serviced, I was charged an agreeable sum for that, the rear rim and tyre had parted company the wheel bearings were checked, the 1 week old, got quite hot tyre was checked over, the rim was sorted, the new brake shoes were installed.Everything was thoroughly looked at. The shop did not charge me for the brake shoes or the fitting of.
I was happy.
but that front tyre was still not on the bike, nor even in the shop!
Naturally I asked why it wasn't already fitted to the bike.
I was told that there simply wasn't one available, the guys had gone in two different directions after my phone call to check ahead earlier that day, looking for a front Metz 888, even to the supplier, no one had one.
My story today is about the tremendous service my wife and I were accorded by the guys in the tyre bay and workshop.
Naturally the front metz 888 tyre turned up the next day, last Friday. I got the wifes bike from her work and took it over, got there in 40 minutes on a Friday afternoon, Unheard of. Got the front tyre on AT LAST, paid for it and then hit the motorway heading for home, South, on a Friday arvo. Not one stop or hold up. Great ride considering it was on the southern motorway amongst a lot of traffic.
In summary,the guys work long and hard, they dropped everything, came out picked up the bike.
They took her rear end off and checked everything over, they deglazed the inner hub and scuffed up the new shoes, they asked Suzuki why this might have happened and were told it actually does happen from time to time and even Suzuki don't know exactly why.
There was never a question as to what I might have done nor was I made to feel I might have.
There was never a question about being asked to pay for the brake shoes, the time it took to check everything thoroughly and make good the hub, having the bike picked up on a busy Saturday from halfway across the city.
I want you all to know that these men did their utmost for my wife and I and we will support them as much as we can.
That's all, for a change and quite honestly,happily, no gripes.

Bass
18th April 2016, 06:49
That's all, for a change and quite honestly,happily, no gripes.

Good for you.
We tend to be quick to complain about below par service but much less rapid to applaud an extra effort.

Phreak
20th April 2016, 18:05
:niceone: Good to hear!

caseye
1st May 2016, 17:56
OK, so a week or two has passed and it appears that only two, maybe three, people on KB can read more than one sentence at a time!
You guys suck!
You want to know where to go, you come onto KB and ask where to go.
You get a page long recommend and you, don't even bother to comment, good bad or indifferent it wouldn't matter, the point is, I'm not actually easily pleased, I don't usually recommend anyone without damn good cause and here I am pouring it out with big spoons and you lot can't be arsed to come have a read or even make or cast an opinion!
Fuck you all! from now on I'll keep my well rounded arse, well grounded and won't tell a soul where I get good service from.

Woodman
1st May 2016, 18:04
Had 376 views.

caseye
1st May 2016, 18:21
Had 376 views.

I'm not feeling the love! Not that "I" want or need to.
Nor is a shop that has not necessarily had a good rep for a while. I have no connection with it except that the guys who work there, work hard and deserve some recognition, are we all that bloody precious that we'll read a page long reccomend and say nothing.
Go there for you tyres, if nothing else, talk to the guys, see how hard they work, understand that they look after you as best they can, then decide, is all I'm trying to get you lot to think about.
Cheers Woody.

Moi
1st May 2016, 18:26
I read your post a day or two after you posted. I didn't comment because I didn't see I had anything to add, you had said it all. It was obvious you were very pleased with the service and that is probably some of the best advertising they could have.

For what it's worth: I, too, have had very good service from Cycletreads as far as tyres are concerned.

AllanB
1st May 2016, 19:36
What Moi said.

If you want more responses on KB you need to complain about a bike shop. Something like 'fucking dick bike shop, I blew a piston due to running out of oil last week and fucking XXXX told me it will cost $heaps to repair my bike!!! WTF. I checked the bloody oil two years ago when they sold it to me and they said it was full synthetic - everybody knows this lasts ages.'

Or ask about those new fangled batteries .......

eldog
1st May 2016, 22:50
I'm not feeling the love! Not that "I" want or need to.
Nor is a shop that has not necessarily had a good rep for a while. I have no connection with it except that the guys who work there, work hard and deserve some recognition, are we all that bloody precious that we'll read a page long reccomend and say nothing.
Go there for you tyres, if nothing else, talk to the guys, see how hard they work, understand that they look after you as best they can, then decide, is all I'm trying to get you lot to think about.
Cheers Woody.
I am not that precious although my mother may think so.....

yep I read it and thought may give them a go, if they sell the tyres I decide on, when the budget is ready.

waiting to see what you think about the tyres you fitted when you rock up to SATNR after you have done more trips to Hamilton for lunch:innocent:

caseye
1st May 2016, 23:20
I am not that precious although my mother may think so.....

yep I read it and thought may give them a go, if they sell the tyres I decide on, when the budget is ready.

waiting to see what you think about the tyres you fitted when you rock up to SATNR after you have done more trips to Hamilton for lunch:innocent:

LOL, good for you, been to hamilton, Whangarei, Rotorua and home again in last 2 weeks.
The Pirelli GT Angels are bloody brilliant.
Be seeing you on Thursday.

Madness
2nd May 2016, 00:33
TL;DR. :yawn:

nzspokes
2nd May 2016, 06:37
TL;DR. :yawn:

They took 3 hours to fit tyres to one bike, fitted a tyre to the rear of another and stuffed up the brakes, they couldnt get a front tyre for the same bike. But did in the end.

Maha
2nd May 2016, 10:28
No it didn't, said bike may have been there for three hours... because you can't book in a tyre change/WOF... you turn up and wait your turn just like everyone else.

What it comes down to is that some people are just harder to please than others.
Cycletreads will give you an estimated time of job completion, at that point you are perfectly within your rights to fuck off elsewhere if it does it suit.

oldiebutagoody
2nd May 2016, 10:57
I had a not so good experience with them. Three booked visits to get a chain fitted,........ booked a week ahead but chain not in stock, nor the second booked appointment a week later, but it was in stock on the third time I booked in and arrived (a week later). Returned a week later to get the masterlink properly cold riveted remembering to put the o-ring on this time please. Four weeks to get a chain fitted correctly.

First fellow booked and supposedly ordered in the correct chain but was on leave when I turned up. Happens, but no chain ordered. An argumentative pompous parts guy on second visit. Third attempt the tech was pulled off the job to complete a job urgently they had overlooked for another pissed off customer while I waited, and the learner finished it off, hence two attempts at the masterlink. Price point for the chain (incl free fitting) can't be complained about, which makes me think therein lies the problem with the business model. I had decided I had started this with them so it was going to be completed to my satisfaction by them. I could have abandoned them after the first fail and buy myself a riveting tool but I am away from my own tools and work area in a boarding situation up here in AK working away from home.

That said, I will go back to Cycletreads Barrys Point for tyres when needed. I won't accept being talked into or out of my choice/brand based upon their agency/commission level. I want what I want, my bike, my choice. I was a customer right from the opening of the Barry's point original shop up the other end, until moving out of town years ago. Service back then was great as they were a hungry start up business. As a courier I could get in and out with two new hoops inside an hour.

Could I be described as hard to please??? You bet ya. And that is because having dealt with many many businesses, mechanics, parts guys, suppliers and various tech guys over the years what I have discovered is that the safety and condition of the bike is only ONE persons responsibility. MINE. I get to have the final say, and if I didn't do the work due to lack of time or specific tools, I will double check anyone's work no matter who or what their reputation/reviews.

But overall; despite an apology and rectification by the tech at the final visit, it was not a confidence inspiring experience. Ii didn't post any of this as there seemed to be enough bad press flying around at the time, no need for me to chime in, but since the OP was looking for responses I thought I would share.

Blackbird
2nd May 2016, 11:18
No it didn't, said bike may have been there for three hours... because you can't book in a tyre change/WOF... you turn up and wait your turn just like everyone else.

That's interesting Mark...... because I have to ride about 130 km for my tyre change with the Drury Performance Centre, I tell them the approximate time I'm arriving and I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for them to start the job and I'm on my way in under an hour. I've been going to them for several years and have deliberately built up a good working relationship with them.

Maha
2nd May 2016, 12:23
That's interesting Mark...... because I have to ride about 130 km for my tyre change with the Drury Performance Centre, I tell them the approximate time I'm arriving and I never have to wait more than 10 minutes for them to start the job and I'm on my way in under an hour. I've been going to them for several years and have deliberately built up a good working relationship with them.

CT's have worked on the 'We'll get to when we can' for as long as I can remember Geoff. Turn up/filled out a job card and wait.
DPC have given quick service in the past, a group ride hardly got going when one rider needed a new rear tyre...called in there and they did it straight away, one other rider ended up buying a jacket so win win for them.

nzspokes
2nd May 2016, 18:50

Agreed. This is because it is run like a tyre shop. Not a motorcycle shop that happens to fit tyres. The reason for the long wait is simple, longer you are there the more you will buy. Either that or the workshop manager has no idea what he is doing.

Drury Tyres are excellent. Have turned up late for a booking due to things getting in the way so popped right on closing to apologise and re-book. Instead they tag teamed a pair of tyres on the bike double quick.

Motoone is also top notch, turn up, choose what you want (no pressure for one tyre over another), get them fitted. Easy.

Luckylegs
2nd May 2016, 19:00
Meh! Im still waiting for my call back since 12 oclock today from the knob who left me on the desk for 5 minutes before telling me he'd call me back.

I dont go there for anything from upstairs these days as they have proved themselves incompetent and lyers. Thought it was still "the" place to go for rubber in d'orkland though but perhaps not. Voted with my feet (like they care) and gave a.j @ motohaus the business.

Thats all, Carry on!

swbarnett
2nd May 2016, 21:46
The reason for the long wait is simple, longer you are there the more you will buy. Either that or the workshop manager has no idea what he is doing.
Or they're busy. Every time I've been there over the years I've been in and out in at most an hour.

I'd turn up before work in the morning so no queue. Haven't done that for the past few years now that I'm not living on the shore. Last time it was a pair of PR4s for a good price (cheaper than the 3s) in a lunch hour.

Moise
2nd May 2016, 22:58
Drury give good service but generally aren't cheap. I find it's worth a trip to Boyd's in Hamilton to buy tyres; I saved about $60 on a rear last time.

Crasherfromwayback
2nd May 2016, 23:10
You guys suck!

Don't worry mate, that much is obvious! 1623 people read the Bruce Anstey Order Of Merit thread, yet only 50 bothered to reply. This site now officially sucks serious fucking amounts of sweaty balls.

Jin
3rd May 2016, 07:04
I go to cycletreads. I'm happy with the service and prices.

Maha
3rd May 2016, 08:00
I go to cycletreads. I'm happy with the service and prices.

And that's it really innit? not everyone likes KFC but those that do will still go there and spend their money.

Jin
4th May 2016, 18:22
And that's it really innit? not everyone likes KFC but those that do will still go there and spend their money.
Yep. Not sure what response op was looking for.

Madness
4th May 2016, 18:23
Not sure what response op was looking for.

Any response at all probably.

caseye
4th May 2016, 19:31
Yep. Not sure what response op was looking for.

OK, you asked I'll tell you. I posted about the service I got from the guys on the floor at CT. I didn't say anything about anything other than the service these hard working tireless gents gave my wife and I.
Some here in KB land have picked up on what wasn't said, but this time while what wasn't said is REAL it was more than balanced out by what the guys on the floor did for us.
I genuinely, simply wanted to acknowledge the guys that work on the floor at CT, in the tyre bay and the workshop.
I'd much rather chip in with a positive comment than a negative, if I can, KB is about talking, passing on experiences, saying when you've been treated well by genuine honest individuals.
In this case CT, CT's staff did bloody well for my wife and I and I simply wanted to acknowledge that.

AllanB
4th May 2016, 20:50
serious fucking amounts of sweaty balls.

It's a problem. I tried shaving them to reduce the sweat - they still sweat just nice and smooth now. Tried no undies hanging free and all that but the support is important after all at 51 gravity is taking it's toll #oldramballs. Tried adding some deodorant - stung and gave slimy balls (no one likes that). Best to air them out every now and them and sleep naked.

Sorted.

Jin
4th May 2016, 21:32
It's a problem. I tried shaving them to reduce the sweat - they still sweat just nice and smooth now. Tried no undies hanging free and all that but the support is important after all at 51 gravity is taking it's toll #oldramballs. Tried adding some deodorant - stung and gave slimy balls (no one likes that). Best to air them out every now and them and sleep naked.

Sorted.
Talc does the trick. Keeps smooth dry and itch free like a babys bum.

Crasherfromwayback
4th May 2016, 22:14

Sorted.

I use this shit.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WLlGcNlseR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Berries
5th May 2016, 00:23
I use this shit.
When did you grow the beard?

Bass
5th May 2016, 06:34
Knacker lacquer for lustre on your cluster and glamour on your rammer

Crasherfromwayback
5th May 2016, 08:15
When did you grow the beard?

Had a beard on and off for years mate!

SVboy
5th May 2016, 12:04
OK, you asked I'll tell you. I posted about the service I got from the guys on the floor at CT. I didn't say anything about anything other than the service these hard working tireless gents gave my wife and I.
Some here in KB land have picked up on what wasn't said, but this time while what wasn't said is REAL it was more than balanced out by what the guys on the floor did for us.
I genuinely, simply wanted to acknowledge the guys that work on the floor at CT, in the tyre bay and the workshop.
I'd much rather chip in with a positive comment than a negative, if I can, KB is about talking, passing on experiences, saying when you've been treated well by genuine honest individuals.
In this case CT, CT's staff did bloody well for my wife and I and I simply wanted to acknowledge that.

Seems reasonable to me.

Old Steve
7th September 2016, 10:29
I use Cyclethreads for tires. Three or four months ago they fitted a front ME888 on my M50 to match the one on the back, when I must have ridden over something and my front tire developed a bubble about 100 mm x 75 mm. I left the bike there on a Saturday morning, they were booked/queued full and had to get the tire in, and picked it up Tuesday evening. No problems and I think I got a good deal.

And I really like the Metxler ME888s on my Boulevard M50, I seem to get good mileage out of them but then I'm a bit of a nanna rider and only ride out to about 15 mm from the edge of the tread on each side - the outside line of chicken strips are slightly worn, the rest have all gone. I do keep them well pumped up, the book says 29 front/34 rear, and I usually check them once a week and run them just a couple of psi over that - maybe 31/36.

I've bought several bits of gear from them, gloves, neck warmers, boots, but probably share my accessories purchases between Cyclethreads and Motomail in College Hill, Ponsonby. Motomail really looked after me when I bought my last helmet and a pair of hot grips. I had the sales assistant's attention for about an hour trying on several helmets for fit and she fitted the pinloc to the visor for me. When I got home I found that the heated grips I'd bought were 3/4" and my bike had 1" bars, so I went back and they changed them right away, no probs. And heated grips over winter makes commuting fantastic.

So I can't recommend either Cyclethreads or Motomail high enough, but definitely Cyclethreads for tires.

Macbat
16th November 2016, 15:35
When you puncture you new PR4 (less than a 1000ks on it) so badly that it has to be replaced...So I had a problem, and they sorted it
Big Thanks to Sean and Dave for helping me out with this
5 stars + , I won't be bying Tyres anywhere else

cods4
20th February 2017, 11:17
The guys there are great, had two new Pirelli Angel GTs and new front wheel bearings put on my bike during the labour weekend sale last year, had a nice chat to the mechanic while he was working and i felt a got a pretty good deal on labour for doing the wheel bearings. I will definitely go back there for new tyres if there prices are competitive.

However if you are after a WOF please be aware that they are only able to do them on Saturdays. My bike went in saturday a week ago and failed due to a leaking fork seal. I finished replacing it on saturday afternoon and took the bike in for the recheck on Sunday and got turned away (understandable). But I found that I couldn't even bring it back during the week as the one WOF guy only comes in on Saturday. Now I will have to pay for another WOF so I can get it done in time for my ride forever course this Saturday.

Tarded
19th March 2017, 21:16
I havent bought tyres there but I can say Ian in the Yamaha parts side is very good.
After getting royally dicked around by some local dealers I called CT.
It was good talking to a guy who knew something about my bike. Its an 02 Vmax so since 1985 there was only minor changes and I didnt have to explain them to him. They are not an obscure bike but some dealers (Trevor Pierce esp) were hard work.

Yamaha Aussies computer is arguing with Yamaha NZs but thats not CTs fault and the other dealers said the same thing so Im waiting on bits but I knew I would be.

I ordered a tyre and had a good chat with a tyre guy about pros and cons of different choices. He was very helpful.

Orders over $200 are freight free so being down south is no issue.

So yes endorse CT as well. Im an ex bike parts guy and ex car mechanic so tend to know when Im getting my leg pulled.

nzspokes
19th March 2017, 21:36
I havent bought tyres there but I can say Ian in the Yamaha parts side is very good.
After getting royally dicked around by some local dealers I called CT.
It was good talking to a guy who knew something about my bike. Its an 02 Vmax so since 1985 there was only minor changes and I didnt have to explain them to him. They are not an obscure bike but some dealers (Trevor Pierce esp) were hard work.

Yamaha Aussies computer is arguing with Yamaha NZs but thats not CTs fault and the other dealers said the same thing so Im waiting on bits but I knew I would be.

I ordered a tyre and had a good chat with a tyre guy about pros and cons of different choices. He was very helpful.

Orders over $200 are freight free so being down south is no issue.

So yes endorse CT as well. Im an ex bike parts guy and ex car mechanic so tend to know when Im getting my leg pulled.

I popped in there today, was going to try a MT-10 and look at some pants.

No MT-10s and no sales staff. Went upstairs and asked what they had in Goretex pants, got a blank look so left.

Place looks like its closing down.

Went to Motomail and got the normal great service.

Zedder
19th March 2017, 21:52

No MT-10s and no sales staff. Went upstairs and asked what they had in Goretex pants, got a blank look so left.

I was in at Cycletreads this week and got a great deal on a rear tyre but they do appear to have slipped a bit on the customer service side.

Yep, Motomail are very good to deal with.

caseye
20th March 2017, 16:27

Ian would have to be the best parts guy I know, especially when it comes to Yamaha, had lots to do with Ian while I was rebuilding the ol Coal Burner TR1/XV 1000.l He always came up with what I needed and his pricing was spot on.
Was really glad to see he landed up at CT.

nzspokes
27th August 2017, 14:55

Oh dear. Went in today to look at a new lid. Sales staff were all busy. They were all tied up looking at their phones. We were the only ones in the shop and it took them 15 mins to come over while I was mucking about with 1k+ helmets.

I gave up in the end.

Went to Motomail which had lines at the counters and bought a new Shoei.

caseye
6th December 2017, 14:37
Well the mantle of
"The Best Tyre Shop"has now gone to Des and Alda at the old "Drury Performance Tyres" shop, Drury.
Took the bandy in, in desperate need of new rubbers, came out with a new chain, new oil and filter as well as 2 new tyres. Took just an hour or so and never once looked like there was going to be any issues, or extra's.
Got stickered (Sticker in prominent place on Handles Bars) and the talking too about the Pirelli's being extra slippery, so take care for a while.
Enjoyed my experience with the team including Warren who did the work on the bandy, thanks guys I hope you get nothing but rave reviews.

mitchilin
21st December 2017, 21:14
I have always gone here for tyres and had good service. Always go there first for batteries too. Just recently got two new hoops on the Busa, Roadtec 4s (?). Went in after a wait and they were attacking my bike with an angle grinder. They cunted around on it for an hour, replaced the ground off bolts at no extra cost. Big ups to the tyre guys. The parts department need a kick in the arse though. Replaced clutch on the Hayabusa and got fucked around. Not aswering the phone or returning messages. Spent over a grand there in the last month and if it wasn't for Dave I would probably be looking around. Went to Colemans the other day and pretty much walked out because the salesman was a fucking retard with painted on ears.

Swoop
22nd December 2017, 20:35
Always go there first for batteries too.
I used to...
Batteries, oil and filters are way cheaper elsewhere.

Owl
23rd December 2017, 14:07
I used to...
Batteries, oil and filters are way cheaper elsewhere.

Not to mention tyres.:yes:

Swoop
23rd December 2017, 14:53
Not to mention tyres.:yes:
I have some black hoops coming up. Will try my new supplier to see how they compare.

caseye
28th January 2019, 19:06
Thursday night I rode the Bandy with the SATNR boys, as we do regularly on a Thurday evening, it didn't feel right, hoped off, kicked the tyres, checked fluids, wriggled bars etc, etc, nope, all Ok.
Stopped at the Red Fox. You have to have a RED FOX BURGER, don't ask for chips, you won't be able to eat it all.
Hoped back on bike for return trip, felt OK, good.
Loaded both bikes for trip down the line on Friday arvo last week, looked at rear tire, Pirelli GT Angel, flattish!.
Checked pressure, harrumph, down from 42 to 17.
K, pumped her up, left it for 1/2 an hour, checked again, all good.
Off to Rotten Rua with wfe on her boulevard (first outing this year for her).
Got there, to discover rear flattish again.
Tried all the bike shops and tyre places in Rotorua on Saturday morning,(Closed for DORKLAND ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND, They Live IN Bloody Rotten Rua) no one able to sell me 2 tyres and fit them, pumped her up again, quiet trip to Tauranga, enquired at Suzuki place Nae, Harley, could not rpelace the rear Pirelli, but alternative single tyre was going to be over 450 hundy, told them, thaks for trying, but I was taking a chance on it staying OK, till I got home.
Looked on Inta Webbie and lough and Behold , lookie here $299 for Michelin Pilot Powers plus fitting at Smiths Motorcycles.
A well established firm of some 50 years service to Tauranga, they were absolutely brilliant, stripped and fiited the seriously deformed rear and took off a not too worn front Pirelli and replaced ew with nice shiny new Michelins for an incredibly good all up rate of under 4Hundy ( by days).
Their staff, front of house, parts and service/workshop worked past 12 oclock to get not only my ride but 2 others out, reshod and rolling.
Many thanks to Smiths Motorcycles in Tauranga.
Had the added pelaure of meeting up with an old riding and gaming accomplice from way back while we were there, all in all a relatively expensive but good weekend away, 3 days on the bkes, a set of new tyres for me and some K's on the clock for wifey and the rekindling of a good old friendship, cant ask for more than that.
MOTORCYCLE MANIA (trading as Smiths Motorcycles) Tauranga, take a bow, many thanks team, you're a bunch of Good Barstewards.:yeah::yeah: