PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted on this bike

Intruder VS
24th April 2016, 17:53
Trade me listing 1073500771, what do you think?
A mate is interested in it so thought I would chuck it in here to see what your thoughts are so feedback please.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/photos/a-1073500771/p-471859560.htm

awayatc
24th April 2016, 17:59
To re vin bike it needs to be original....
Which it is not.
so i would give it a wide berth.....
better things to spend your money on.

OddDuck
24th April 2016, 18:30
If your mate is buying for the track and expects to bin it big time inside two seasons - maybe.

Very maybe. Extremely maybe. Do not put money down before seeing what sort of person the owner is, and check the bike over with a fine tooth comb wielded by someone who has owned one of these before and worked on it too.

If your mate is buying for the road, day to day use etc... avoid like the plague, you are going to spend a whole lot more than 1.5 K starting bid or 2.5 K buynow.

This is just going from one crappy Trademe ad, but at the least I'd expect:

Very high mileage

Been for a skid down the road, maybe several times - those original fairings aren't there for a reason

Leaking gaskets and seals - the seller doesn't state an engine rebuild and 1986 was 30 years ago

Replacement of things like wheel bearings, tyres, chain, sprocket, brake pads etc soon or very soon

Basically my advice is: keep saving, there's way better out there if your mate can stick it out to 5K-ish. It's winter anyway.

AllanB
24th April 2016, 18:31
No info at all on the advert.

F-all photos, and those are shit.

1,000 kms - hardly.

Look - could be a ripper of a engine and running gear - or a piece of shit. I suspect the later just by the way it is listed. But I have been know to be wrong.

It will require serious inspection prior to purchase.

Madness
24th April 2016, 18:38
Looks like it's been continually raped for 30 years.

Intruder VS
24th April 2016, 18:38
Cheers guys, yeah not my thing at all and you have confirmed my thoughts on it.
I've given him a link to this thread so he can see your thoughts as well.

jellywrestler
24th April 2016, 19:43
Cheers guys, yeah not my thing at all and you have confirmed my thoughts on it.
I've given him a link to this thread so he can see your thoughts as well.

how longs trademe be going and just one trade? maybe, or maybe they need a clean start????

Oakie
24th April 2016, 19:48
No. Just no!

AllanB
24th April 2016, 21:02
What's his/her budget?

Intruder VS
24th April 2016, 21:16
I'm guessing around the price of that bike or should that be rape victim. Didnt know he was looking until he asked about that one.

Laava
24th April 2016, 21:50
The frame is definitely not an 86. Although the tank looks like it might be? The cancelled rego sounds like bullshit, it might be a good parts bike to someone who had a use for it. Spend another $1000 and something road worthy.