PDA

View Full Version : New throttle assembly needed-MX bike

Stylo
27th April 2016, 17:23
Freshening up an MX 2-stroke that needs a new throttle assembly. Nearly there ....

Any advice on what to go for, or what to avoid would be appreciated. Don't want to pay the earth for OEM parts and wait for months for the privilege.

Been offered some 'one size fits all' assemblies from a couple of dirt bike shops but, not convinced ...

I don't mind paying a bit extra for a quality unit but I'm well aware that there won't be too many options

Bike is a KX-500 E16

Cheers

jellywrestler
27th April 2016, 17:35
Putting together an MX 2-stroke that needs a new throttle assembly. Nearly there ....

Any advice on what to go for, or what to avoid would be appreciated. Don't want to pay the earth for OEM parts.

Seems I'm told that they're generic ie 'One size fits all' . I'm sure that isn't the case.

Cheers. Bike is a KX-500

for a starter there's 7/8 and 1 inch handlebars....

Stylo
27th April 2016, 17:52
for a starter there's 7/8 and 1 inch handlebars....

New Pro-taper bars fitted, I was asking about the throttle assembly.

jellywrestler
27th April 2016, 18:05
New Pro-taper bars fitted, I was asking about the throttle assembly.

the throttle assembly goes over the handlebars, hence me pointing this out,
i wouldn't know a pro taper from a pro wrestler, maybe you could find out what you have in front of you with one of those tape measure thingys,
or google,
or ask the place you brought the bars from
or buy something and then find it doesn't fit that bar size....

nzspokes
27th April 2016, 18:13
A one size fits all will be fine as long its for a 2 smoke.

F5 Dave
27th April 2016, 18:18
Everything except real oddball stuff is 7\8" at the controls.

Typically it will be a whirlpool style. Magura and Domino do OK kinda stuff but there are several models I think. Venhill stuff looks OK but uk and not seen in nz. You may need to adjust the titty on the carb end of the cable to suit. I use an old piston, some plumbers solder and a blow torch to make a mini solderbath. Oh and Dzual flux

Motion pro is another go and they make nice captive cables.

Ocean1
27th April 2016, 18:43
Motion pro is another go and they make nice captive cables.

Aye, I've used one of these: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/revolver_throttle_kits/

But you probably want the single cable job.

The range of cams is a good feature and the quality seemed very good.

Stylo
27th April 2016, 19:08
Aye, I've used one of these: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/revolver_throttle_kits/

But you probably want the single cable job.

The range of cams is a good feature and the quality seemed very good.

Thanks for the reply's, taken on board and now on the notepad next to me ...

Still leaving my hook in the water

peewee
10th May 2016, 17:31
check ebay for a used oem unit. if not , some the Honda stuff should work fine as they all used a lot of the same carbs . some years of yami,suzi and ktm will likely work also