PDA

View Full Version : Removing tank protector

kerryg
29th September 2005, 10:16
Anyone removed one of those stick-on vinyl tank-protectors from their tank? I want to remove mine (to replace it with a transparent one) but I'm worried about damaging the paintwork? I know a hairdryer works real well on decals, will it work on a big thick very-sticky tank protector?

DemonWolf
29th September 2005, 10:27
Yeah I'd be very interested to find out also.. mines getting quite tatty and will need replacing soon enough.. though in saying that I haven't done any searching on the topic.. will get to it closer to the point when I wanna get rid of it... Let us know if you find out anything for best approach.

Cheers

bugjuice
29th September 2005, 10:32
warm it up with a hair dryer, and just do a little bit at a time. Then see what residue is left. What is left should come off with soapy water, or sparingly use a wee bit of nail varnish remover, then wash thoroughly.

It should damage your tank at all.. But a pad being there is recomended tho..

The Stranger
29th September 2005, 10:39
Never saw the logic in a tank protector.
Why would you put something ugly on your tank to stop it getting ugly?

kerryg
29th September 2005, 10:51

Exactement, m'sieur...that's why I'm gonna put a clear one on

kerryg
29th September 2005, 10:53
warm it up with a hair dryer, and just do a little bit at a time. Then see what residue is left. What is left should come off with soapy water, or sparingly use a wee bit of nail varnish remover, then wash thoroughly.

It should damage your tank at all.. But a pad being there is recomended tho..

Ta BJ I'll see what happens when I apply a bit of heat to it, very carefully, so's not to harm my purty tank....:love:

vifferman
29th September 2005, 11:03
Ta BJ I'll see what happens when I apply a bit of heat to it, very carefully, so's not to harm my purty tank....:love:
Yeah, I've done it a few times (but used a hot-air gun instead of hairdryer to eliminate potential marital disputes). Lift an edge, then heat gently as you pull it up/out
But DON'T use nail polish remover - the acetone could bugger your paint, as some laquers use acetone as a solvent. Use petrol or eucalyptus oil.

This is actually sorta timely. I've been thinking about lifting my current tankpad off. It seems to be a genuine CF one, but it's been stuck on crooked. Grrrr...
Because it's non-flexible, I'm not sure about how to remove it. Maybe I'll just pour some brush cleaner down the back of it (there's a gap between the tank and pad.)

By the way - I had problems with a ProGrip tankpad that wouldn't stick properly, even though I followed the instructions implicitly. Out of desparation, I tried some "Vinyl Repair Cement" which was actually the only adhesive I had in my gargre. Worked brilliantly!

The best tankpad I've ever seen/used was an Oxford faux carbon-fibre one my wife gave me the Christmas before last - it stuck really well, and looked great! It came with several handy-dandy matching circles and ovals, which I've used for all sorts of things (including fixing a key fob remote button).

bugjuice
29th September 2005, 11:06
I'd rather have a nice bit of stylee rubber/plastic stuff, than a shit load of scratches from my crotch.. It'd go dull after a period of time thru your gear rubber away on the tank

vifferman
29th September 2005, 11:07
Exactement, m'sieur...that's why I'm gonna put a clear one on
Careful with the clear ones - the FahrtSturm had a clear one on when I bought it, and it looked like shite where it had lifted slightly and water (and assorted waterborne krep) had got in behind it.

vifferman
29th September 2005, 11:08
I'd rather have a nice bit of stylee rubber/plastic stuff, than a shit load of scratches from my crotch..
Scary - an abrasive crotch. (Warn the ladies...)

It'd go dull after a period of time thru your gear rubber away on the tank
What - your abrasive crotch, or the surface of the tank? :confused:

bugjuice
29th September 2005, 11:10
Scary - an abrasive crotch. (Warn the ladies...)

What - your abrasive crotch, or the surface of the tank? :confused:
true on all accounts.. The doc said it'd go away some a little TLC, but so far it's only getting worse..

kerryg
29th September 2005, 11:14
But DON'T use nail polish remover - the acetone could bugger your paint, as some laquers use acetone as a solvent. Use petrol or eucalyptus oil.

Thanks for the warning, Vifferman. I'm pretty cautious, so whenever it comes to using stuff for removing paint or glue or other gunk I always start with the least agressive option first (eg soapy water) and work my way up, so I would use acetone only if other things failed first, and even then very carefully

kerryg
29th September 2005, 11:21
Careful with the clear ones - the FahrtSturm had a clear one on when I bought it, and it looked like shite where it had lifted slightly and water (and assorted waterborne krep) had got in behind it.

Oh :slap: thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that.

Well then I'll look for a red one and if I can't get one I'll leave the existing one on... :niceone:

vifferman
29th September 2005, 11:27
Thanks for the warning, Vifferman. I'm pretty cautious, so whenever it comes to using stuff for removing paint or glue or other gunk I always start with the least agressive option first (eg soapy water) and work my way up, so I would use acetone only if other things failed first, and even then very carefully
The reason I said "petrol" is because your paint is (or should be) petrol-resistant, and everyone has petrol available if they can afford it...) In fact, I usally use "Kumcleen", which is xylene/toluene, which is present in significant quantities in our petrol anyway. It's a very good solvent for many adhesives and is less flammable than petrol. I follow that up with meths then isopropyl alcohol if I have any. BTW - if you replace your tankpad, clean the tank surface very thoroughly (say, petrol then meths then warm soapy water and/or isopropyl alcohol) before fitting the new one.

yungatart
29th September 2005, 11:34
Use a hot air gun, don't overheat the area. Any residue will come off with Prepsol-or take it your friendly local auto painter. Get an expert to apply the clear one for you- don't use that crap they sell in the bike shops (apologies to all bike shop owners/workers out there), ring 3m in Akl, they will be able to put you onto an approved applicator- MSTRS has been doing this for about 10 yrs now but we're a bit far away- unless you want to cruise to the beautiful, sunny HB

FROSTY
29th September 2005, 12:50
Um this is one of the things I do for a living kerry.
I agree with vifferman about the clear stickons--They yellow off and the edges lift and the crap act like sandpaper.
To remove the existing cover I would use a hot air gun but its a carefull balance -hot enough to soften the glue but not soft enough to brittle the transfer.We do it as a two man job --one applying even firm pressure peeling the sticker back one applying the heat.By doing this a lot of the gum will come away with the sticker.
Whilst things are still warm you might want to try rolling the glue residue up with your fingers.youll get quite a lot off.
depending on how much is left I use 2k paint thinners and 2 rags to remove the remaining glue.VERY important -2 RAGS --wipe the thinners on with one rag--which will shift the glue and using a clean rag wipe the thinners /glue residue off. The secret is to do small areas and get the thinners off fast-so it doesnt affect the paint.
At this point youll have a slightly dull surface which ya can polish up with a good fine grade cut n polish.
If you still have gluey goop remaining Ive got a special device that you put on an electric drill-it looks like a round yellow pencil rubber 50mm across but its desighned to remove that sticky goop

Not wanting to sound like a know it all but I do a shit load of this stuff on cars -friggin GPS arials etc

kerryg
29th September 2005, 14:26
...but we're a bit far away- unless you want to cruise to the beautiful, sunny HB

mmm......a ride to the Hawkes Bay....tempting.....

kerryg
29th September 2005, 14:27
Not wanting to sound like a know it all but I do a shit load of this stuff on cars -friggin GPS arials etc

Thanks for your good advice Frosty.

yungatart
29th September 2005, 14:58
mmm......a ride to the Hawkes Bay....tempting.....
mmm... about 24 degrees today, fine, sunny and no wind...aaah tis a great life.

Lou Girardin
29th September 2005, 16:26
I'd rather have a nice bit of stylee rubber/plastic stuff, than a shit load of scratches from my crotch.. It'd go dull after a period of time thru your gear rubber away on the tank

I know you're in lurve with your sexy noo bike. But stop humping the tank.
It's giving us all a bad name.

kerryg
29th September 2005, 16:40
I know you're in lurve with your sexy noo bike. But stop humping the tank.
It's giving us all a bad name.

Well if you'd only SEEN his bike you'd understand his affection for it(cue picture from Bugjuice...)