PDA

View Full Version : Kawakawa - Orere Point seal "repairs"

Moise
5th May 2016, 10:29
I rode back to Auckland yesterday through Kaiaua - much more pleasant than SH2 and the motorway. But I nearly had a moment on one of the corners coming down the hill to Kawakawa. This part of the road has recently been patched in places with chipseal. There was a patch heading into a LH corner that looked like the perfect place to brake, but in fact the metal had come off sections of the patch and there was loose gravel on the corner entrance.

I manged to slow right down before the corner, so no drama. But it could really catch you out in poor light or at night. Given that one patch is coming apart, then the same thing may happen on another part of the road.

Would be nice if some of the small fortune we pay in rates every year was used to repair Auckland's rural roads properly.

Black Knight
5th May 2016, 10:46
This same thing happened to me about 2 years back-60KPH into a very sharp lefthander-immediate sunstrike and noticed the loose gravel from the torn up patch 2 seconds too late.Both wheels washed out and bike and I ended up on wrong side of road.Got home and grabbed a broom and went back to sweep up-after taking pics.Rang the roading contractor-big outfit-who denied being at fault,but then rang me back confirming roading staff had used a faulty mix.
My bike and gear had a bit of damage,got a $1000 cheque in the mail which more than covered.

Jin
5th May 2016, 10:57
Funny you made this post I was going to do the same thing about a week ago. They "repaired" this nice bit of twisty road about 3 weeks ago for what reason I have no idea as there was nothing wrong with the seal in the first place.

Its now in a worse state with the "repair" in some parts halfway fucked and chipping off. Pissed me off i thought about turning back and taking photos of it its a fucking disgrace the standard of work the roadworkers are doing in auckland parts.

Got me thinking who is actually supervising these idiots and signing off the work is complete and to acceptable standard? Report to council the shoddy and dangerous work being done ot the roads?

Akzle
5th May 2016, 11:17
this one time, i was riding on the road. And some bits were different to others.

...But i rode accordingly and got where i was going without feeling the need to moan about it.

WNJ
5th May 2016, 11:28
this one time, i was riding on the road. And some bits were different to others.
...But i rode accordingly and got where i was going without feeling the need to moan about it.

Driveway to your mums place doesn't count ,:bleh:

trufflebutter
5th May 2016, 11:31
this one time, i was riding a sheep on the road. And some bits were different to others.

I am guessing the sheep did though?

SVboy
5th May 2016, 11:57

Axle riding!!! Is this your fantasy post? We all know its nothing like your sad little reality.

Kickaha
5th May 2016, 18:52
Would be nice if some of the small fortune we pay in rates every year was used to repair Auckland's rural roads properly.
If they built them properly they wouldn't need to repair them

pete376403
5th May 2016, 19:30
If they built them properly they wouldn't need to repair them

If they built them properly Fulton Hogan et al wouldn't have a nice guaranteed annual earner.

eldog
5th May 2016, 20:27
If they built them properly Fulton Hogan et al wouldn't have a nice guaranteed annual earner.
Yup moan about the cost and cheaper, shorter term repairs no worries. Till it all turns to custard and then forced to do it properly while having spent 2x on what it could have done in the first place.

Sick of poor quality road works and numb nuts leaving 1 tonne of loose chip all over the place. They have sweepers use them. Just slack buggers.

I think they now self assess their jobs that's how the get the OK to move on, another cost cutting feature. But no balls to do the job properly and come back and finish it off.

Next time they chip seal the road and leave a heap of stones in the road verge grass they can come back and remove it before I mow it.

ITS ONLY GOING TO GET WORSE, KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR LOOSE STONES AND WET TAR BLEED

Moise
5th May 2016, 21:37
Yeah it has got worse. No one seems to sweep the roads afterwards, our street was resealed 2 years ago and there are still loose stones on the sides because they never did a final sweep. The standard of rural road maintenance has plummeted since the Super City was formed. There are so many bare patches of tar on the Pohutukawa Coast road that I wouldn't want to ride it in the rain. SH2 isn't any better though.

Sorry for the rant, but this is killing people. There was a recent coroner's report on a crash in the Dome Valley which identified the shit road condition as a factor.

Jin
5th May 2016, 22:29
Whats the process to make complaint about roads?

Madness
5th May 2016, 22:32

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=33

When I ride that hill behind Kawakawa Bay I often do a recon lap first, followed by a couple of warm-up laps before putting down any fast laps. A road best suited to motards IMO.

Bass
6th May 2016, 06:47
This is an interesting one.
I'm a great believer in "Ride to the conditions", but this particular repair came close to taking me out as well.

I came through there after dark, 2 up, when it was first breaking up and there was gravel all over the road.
It's fairly tight and all the bends are blind. Consequently, the danger was invisible until the last second, especially under lights.

Because it's tight, I wasn't going especially fast and so was able to momentarily straighten up and lose some speed but it has taken out at least one biker (on his feet, so no serious injuries I believe).
The rest of the road was fine and invited pressing the bends.

Sudden and unexpected change in the conditions, but only 1 of the conditions - all the rest remained the same. Only takes one I guess.

Salutary lesson that pressing on through a series of blind bends invites being caught out by just this sort of thing. It could have been any one of a number of hazards, most of which are NOT down to poor contractors or should have signage. Looks like " Ride to the conditions" doesn't always mean what I want it to mean.

Bugger! Takes a heap of the fun out of it but.

Moise
6th May 2016, 10:57
That must have been an interesting moment. I was going reasonably quickly, and saw the gravel while I was on the brakes just before I started to lean into the corner. So I stayed upright and braked hard.

It's a perfect example of why you shouldn't go hard into blind corners. You never know what might be there to catch you out!

skippa1
6th May 2016, 11:09
The only thing you should expect is the unexpected on the road

release_the_bees
6th May 2016, 21:07
Thanks for the heads up. I rode through there in the dark tonight but I had already seen this thread so I knew what to expect and slowed right down before entering the curves.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Madness
7th May 2016, 16:39
Just back from a loop through there. The two corners before the summit heading towards Orere Pt are quite royally fucked. It was probably less fucked before they "fixed" it. Twats.

Moi
7th May 2016, 17:09

Go to the AT website and have a look around. I'm sure there's a report issues ability.

Be specific: what, where, why... Be objective and be prepared to back up what you say - they may contact you for further info.

Recently went through a similar process with AT about the state of a footpath where there had been a subsidence leaving a "lip" of concrete which was a tripping issue. Had an email from the engineer whose area it was in for clarification and then another to say it would be attended to.

Jin
7th May 2016, 18:11
Just back from a loop through there. The two corners before the summit heading towards Orere Pt are quite royally fucked. It was probably less fucked before they "fixed" it. Twats.
It wasnt fucked in any way there nothing wrong with it perhaps small undulations but nothing compared to the clusterfuck those morons left there

eldog
7th May 2016, 19:10
Auckland transport call centre 355 3553
OR it used to be.
If it is still like it was a few years back you need to know exactly where GPS location really helpful. They will get you to log onto a Web site and specify the location etc. Will seem like you are passing into the wind. Expect a month before something happens. In my case now the neighbors don't have an accident happening outside their gate every month. Yep tar bleed. Just added some chip seal sorted.

Jin
10th May 2016, 21:31
Auckland transport call centre 355 3553
OR it used to be.
If it is still like it was a few years back you need to know exactly where GPS location really helpful. They will get you to log onto a Web site and specify the location etc. Will seem like you are passing into the wind. Expect a month before something happens. In my case now the neighbors don't have an accident happening outside their gate every month. Yep tar bleed. Just added some chip seal sorted.
Thanks I might do that tomorrow.

I went down the offending road and stopped to take a pic of one part of the "repair". There are several this being the worst.

eldog
11th May 2016, 07:26
that's crap, its a corner FFS
needs higher strength repair than that

I have seen stronger icing on a Xmas cake

Moise
11th May 2016, 12:36
Thanks I might do that tomorrow.

I went down the offending road and stopped to take a pic of one part of the "repair". There are several this being the worst.
Yeah, that's the one. There was more gravel on the road when I came through.

Moise
13th July 2016, 13:34
Well, you should see the mess now - never seen anything like it. It looks like they patched the places where the chip seal lifted with asphalt. At least the asphalt blobs are visible.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

Scubbo
13th July 2016, 15:24
doesnt surprise me, I remember seeing who did the repair job... you can thank the auckland council for pulling all money out and focusing it on the super center/rail network for the next 20?+ years -- all surrounding roads will degrade to poop :pinch: (the good news is port waikato roads will stay metal for ages, good riding to be had there)

Old Steve
13th July 2016, 15:52
While working for a large international company I learned the magic word - liability.

Once nearly came a cropper in Tauranga, a works crew had painted road markings on the hot seal new paving and sprinkled those reflective beads on to the wet road paint.. Trouble was that the reflective beads that didn't adhere to the paint were like ball bearings, I skidded right into the intersection, lucky I didn't come off.

So I rang the council, talked to the roading engineer, and advised them that now they were aware of the complaint if any injuries occurred to motorcyclists because of the excess reflective beads on the road they would be negligent in correcting the problem and would be liable for damage and injuries (you can sue companies and local body corporations for negligence).

Later that afternoon when coming passed that intersection there was a contractors crew vacuuming up the excess reflective beads.

So, Kawakawa Road. Ring the Auckland City roads dept and advise them of the problem, record the name of the person who you talk to, tell them the road conditions are dangerous for motorcyclists, and advise them that now they have been told about the problem they could be deemed negligent if a bike rider was injured or worse at that point of the road and they and the city would be liable for damages and compensation and possible punitive damages. You could ask whoever you talk to for their email so that you can confirm the advice in writing.