PDA

View Full Version : Footpeg lowering kits

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 10:11
I’m a ummmm.... "mature" rider with a preference for the sportier end of the motorcycle market and therein lies a problem. As I get older, my 68 year old knees start to protest after a while. The Street Triple was ok for a few hundred km at a stretch but the GSX-S 1000 puts more load on them.

Looking at lowering kits, most of them either look cheap and nasty or complicated and over-priced. I knew that Buell pegs were a favourite conversion for riders who needed more leg room but in most instances, they needed machining and/or bushing to fit most other bikes. Through a Hayabusa forum, I discovered a guy called Joe Satterwhite in the US who makes a ready-machined and bushed kit which fits the ‘busa, GSX-S, GSX-R and presumably a few other Suzuki models so took the plunge and sent for some.

Really impressed with the superb quality of the product – better than OEM in fact. Took less than 10 minutes to fit and another hour to fiddle with the brake and gear change linkages and brake light switch to set the new positions. Went for a ride round the Coro Loop yesterday and the 25 mm lower pegs made a significant difference to comfort levels.

The slight downside is that I scraped my boot by a whisker on a couple of corners I know well but it wasn’t a big deal as my foot was fairly well forward.

Nice to have a farkle that does what it says on the tin. A happy chappie who can stay on sports-oriented bikes for a bit longer! :banana:

Moi
6th May 2016, 10:33
"Mature" rider... bollocks!

More like an "old hoon"... :laugh::laugh:

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 10:57
"Mature" rider... bollocks!

More like an "old hoon"... :laugh::laugh:

Such language from a retired teacher :shit:

Moi
6th May 2016, 11:05
What is worse... I was drinking my morning coffee when I read the first line... just about choked...

You referring to "bollocks"? - it's a wonderful word, can be used in a number of ways...

Must admit those new pegs are a very nice piece of engineering. Do you find any advantage to the serrated foot area rather than a rubber foot area?

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 11:21
:laugh:

Mark, it's so long since I have had rubber on footpegs that I can't remember whether there is any real practical advantage in either option. There's no vibration on the Suzuki so from that aspect, not a big deal. I suppose they might grip the boot a little better but the rubber ones on the Blackbird were fine too.

Maha
6th May 2016, 11:26
They look great Geoff, might invest in a set to replace the stock pillion pegs on our next bike. The tiger is the tallest bike I have owned. The pillion pegs are 550mm off the ground, a clear 200mm higher than the rider pegs @ 350mm. Quite a first step for someone measuring 5'4''.

SVboy
6th May 2016, 11:55
How mucho?

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 11:59
They look great Geoff, might invest in a set to replace the stock pillion pegs on our next bike. The tiger is the tallest bike I have owned. The pillion pegs are 550mm off the ground, a clear 200mm higher than the rider pegs @ 350mm. Quite a first step for someone measuring 5'4''.

Thanks Mark! Yes, high pillion pegs seems to be another trend. Might be ok for the cafe set who don't do decent distances but not for a longer haul. Getting on is another matter. There's a fair bit of discussion on various forums about it and there seems to be a reasonable choice of aftermarket lowering kits for a whole range of bikes. The GSX-S has rear pegs which are a similar height to your Tiger but the minimalist seat makes sure that I don't have a pillion (which is fine by me :whistle: )

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 12:01
How mucho?

US$114 delivered. You can buy a set of Buell pegs through eBay for about half that but was happy to pay the extra to avoid all the mucking about to alter them.

nzspokes
6th May 2016, 12:46
US$114 delivered. You can buy a set of Buell pegs through eBay for about half that but was happy to pay the extra to avoid all the mucking about to alter them.

Ive run them for years. Currently on my VTR. Got them from Auckland Harley, for memory they were $98?

Yup you will scrape boots if you hang your toes. Can be a bit tricky setting up the gearshift and rear brake but worth it once you get it right.

Blackbird
6th May 2016, 13:27
Ive run them for years. Currently on my VTR. Got them from Auckland Harley, for memory they were $98?

Yup you will scrape boots if you hang your toes. Can be a bit tricky setting up the gearshift and rear brake but worth it once you get it right.

Before I removed the old pegs, I used a builder's level across the OEM ones to measure the standard drop of the brake and gear change pedals (not identical). It was easy to replicate on the new setup by doing this. I had to remove about 4mm of thread from the brake clevis pin to allow the range of adjustment I needed but the small amount still lets me put it back to standard if I ever need to. I did it in situ with a junior hacksaw, putting a bit of duct tape on the swingarm to protect it from any enthusiastic sawing. The rear brake light activation switch was almost impossible to reach behind the footpeg hanger so I removed the hanger bolts onto the frame and that gave me sufficient space. None of it was difficult, you just need to be organised. I had a similar set-up on my Blackbird so knew in advance what was needed. As it was, the new pegs came with comprehensive instructions for the Hayabusa which was pretty similar.

nzspokes
6th May 2016, 13:56
Before I removed the old pegs, I used a builder's level across the OEM ones to measure the standard drop of the brake and gear change pedals (not identical). It was easy to replicate on the new setup by doing this. I had to remove about 4mm of thread from the brake clevis pin to allow the range of adjustment I needed but the small amount still lets me put it back to standard if I ever need to. I did it in situ with a junior hacksaw, putting a bit of duct tape on the swingarm to protect it from any enthusiastic sawing. The rear brake light activation switch was almost impossible to reach behind the footpeg hanger so I removed the hanger bolts onto the frame and that gave me sufficient space. None of it was difficult, you just need to be organised. I had a similar set-up on my Blackbird so knew in advance what was needed. As it was, the new pegs came with comprehensive instructions for the Hayabusa which was pretty similar.

Agreed but the lower position was outside of the reach on my gear shift so I made a new rod. I had to do the same with the brake.

Brake light was easy with a hydraulically activated one which removed the problem.

rambaldi
9th May 2016, 17:24
Must admit those new pegs are a very nice piece of engineering. Do you find any advantage to the serrated foot area rather than a rubber foot area?

I am 'lucky enough' to have both. Left peg is rubberized, right is of a different design. The right has a nice little ridge on the end that I can square my boot against (although there is no real need to do that :P). The rubber certainly grips my boot better in the wet, and if I was going to go through the effort of matching them that is what I would go for. For general riding though there ain't a whole lot of difference.

Swoop
10th May 2016, 19:49
The slight downside is that I scraped my boot by a whisker on a couple of corners I know well but it wasn’t a big deal as my foot was fairly well forward.

Those look very nice Geoff. Are they longer than the OEM pegs? Are they machined or cast?
Perhaps this is adding to the scraping, in addition to being lower.

nzspokes
10th May 2016, 20:10
Those look very nice Geoff. Are they longer than the OEM pegs? Are they machined or cast?

By the nature of them you feet are wider out, I extended my gear shift lever a bit to suit. So leaned your feet are closer again to the road.

Ocean1
10th May 2016, 20:20

They're XB12S pegs, think the 12X pegs would fit too, bit wider.

I've fitted them to a couple of bikes for other people, popular tweak.

By the nature of them you feet are wider out, I extended my gear shift lever a bit to suit. So leaned your feet are closer again to the road.

Aye, normally your foot can cover the mount too, with the drop your foot is forced out an inch. Don't matter much on the original Buell, they're very narrow anyway.

Blackbird
10th May 2016, 20:30

They're about 15 mm longer than OEM and look pressure die cast. If I'd had the balls of my feet on the pegs, the boots wouldn't have touched so it was just a learning curve and I was being a bit lazy. I didn't find any problem with my feet being a tad wider and I can always angle them onto the hanger if absolutely necessary.

If I was doing another trackday, I'd put the old pegs back but I'm sure that the new setup will deliver more advantages than disadvantages on the road. Got a 500 km ride tomorrow to do some mentoring in Auckland so that should be a good test of them.