PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to buy kerosene?

Jin
13th May 2016, 10:00
Where is the cheapest kerosene? Cummings have it for $5 per litre i might be remembering wrong but i swore they used to sell for $1 per litre.

Is there anywhere else its cheaper?

awayatc
13th May 2016, 12:27
You getting decent mileage out of it ?

Fwiw

venezuala cheapest place to buy your fuels....

caspernz
13th May 2016, 15:06
Do you squeak when you walk? If it's for cleaning your chain, and you're too tight to buy a litre or two per year, use diesel instead.

Don't tell me you're using it in a heater at home...:eek:

Jin
13th May 2016, 15:35
I thought i paid $1 for it so used it quite liberally in degreasing the bike and cleaning chain. If its $5 a litre then i guess ill have to use more sparingly :laugh:

Oakie
13th May 2016, 17:20
I thought i paid $1 for it so used it quite liberally in degreasing the bike and cleaning chain. If its $5 a litre then i guess ill have to use more sparingly :laugh:

Not a good idea to clean modern chains with kero. Was the bees knees 35 years when I was starting out but not nowdays.

Madness
13th May 2016, 17:27
Where is the cheapest kerosene?

Probably the airport. You'll probably need a plane to get it though.

george formby
13th May 2016, 17:36
Not a good idea to clean modern chains with kero. Was the bees knees 35 years when I was starting out but not nowdays.

Do tell why? I generally use kero for cleaning the spooge off and seem to have had no issues. Apart from it not taking clay off.

Jin
13th May 2016, 17:37
Well the bike manual recommends kerosene. What do you use?

Stylo
13th May 2016, 18:33

I remember running kerosene in my '73 Honda C50 step through, circa 1977. My mate said it would work and it did, to a point.

Ran fine on the flat but going up the hill and under load it started losing steam, then I'd run beside it and keep up with poor thing as it struggled to cope with this smelly greasy shit that I'd filled it's tank up with.

Went back to petrol after that , happiest step through in town.

Oakie
13th May 2016, 19:20
Do tell why? I generally use kero for cleaning the spooge off and seem to have had no issues. Apart from it not taking clay off. Screws up the o-rings according to the mechanic who replaced my rooted chain 3 or 4 years back. A quick google shows many forums say it is OK thoughj so I guess caveat emptor.

Oakie
13th May 2016, 19:22

A nail brush and no solvent. Bel-Ray lube afterwards.

awayatc
13th May 2016, 19:26
Unless you want to run a kero heater.......

no fuckin different from using regular diesel !

kero was called no 1 diesel

and diesel , no 2 diesel.

and yes its still $1 a liter

Grumph
Screws up the o-rings according to the mechanic who replaced my rooted chain 3 or 4 years back. A quick google shows many forums say it is OK thoughj so I guess caveat emptor.

The O rings should be viton to deal with chain lube and it's carrying solvents...Kero shouldn't hurt them - unless you set it on fire.

Gremlin
Shaft drive. What chain? :nya:

F5 Dave
13th May 2016, 19:31
Kero rules.

The o-rings will be Nitrile which is super common and specification shows suitable for use with kero.

As usual mechanics aren't engineers, they are good for fitting parts but fallible to wives tales as the rest of us.

The End
13th May 2016, 19:45
This mainly refers to using WD40 on a chain, but also includes results for kerosene.

Happy reading:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/chain-o-ring-wd-40-exposure-effects-study-and-results.345397/

Moi
13th May 2016, 19:48

Shaft drive. What chain? :nya:

A really impressive rubber band...

Jin
13th May 2016, 20:03
I remember running kerosene in my '73 Honda C50 step through, circa 1977. My mate said it would work and it did, to a point.

Ran fine on the flat but going up the hill and under load it started losing steam, then I'd run beside it and keep up with poor thing as it struggled to cope with this smelly greasy shit that I'd filled it's tank up with.

Went back to petrol after that , happiest step through in town.
I used cooking oil in an old mx bike seemed to run ok and made a nice fried chippy smell too

F5 Dave
13th May 2016, 20:37
Burger pattie grease is probably the smelliest, but the lubrication properties are indisputable.

5ive
14th May 2016, 02:23
Stop being pretentious and just use methylated spirits filtered through white bread.

Nice and cheap, and seems to do the trick :drinknsin

Swoop
20th May 2016, 13:08
A quick google shows many forums say it is OK thoughj so I guess caveat emptor.
Cool. Where can I buy a litre of Caveat Emptor?
Will it be OK to still use an old toothbrush with this stuff?

Stop being pretentious and just use methylated spirits filtered through white bread.

Do you really mean Brasso, through stale bread?
:shifty:

trustme
20th May 2016, 13:58
Try Marketing Chemicals off Mahunga Drive

Oakie
20th May 2016, 17:28
Cool. Where can I buy a litre of Caveat Emptor? :shifty:

From a Caveat Emporium.

Swoop
20th May 2016, 19:34
From a Caveat Emporium.

Most excellent! I will capture some time tomorrow and pay them a visit!

jellywrestler
20th May 2016, 19:36
Where is the cheapest kerosene? Cummings have it for $5 per litre i might be remembering wrong but i swore they used to sell for $1 per litre.

Is there anywhere else its cheaper?

harley dealer?

5ive
21st May 2016, 00:09
Do you really mean Brasso, through stale bread?
:shifty:

Oh shit, that is really cheap, I sound a little snobby and should lower my standards a bit :p

I only clean my chain with Kero now, bought a bottle from the Warehouse. It doesn't matter how much it costs, I used to use expensive cleaners because I didn't know any better, and also didn't lube my chain properly/often enough. I learnt my lesson though after having to replace my chain sooner than I should of.

My advice after 49,000km, and on my third chain which is lasting very well now:

Kero clean only when the chain gets really dirty, especially after wet, rainy periods and the chain 'darkens', then lube properly every 1000km (at least), or staight away after wet/rainy weather.

Also replace your rear sprocket when you change your chain to prolong the life of the chain. You may be able to get away with keeping the sprocket if there is minimal wear though, but any wear will eventually shorten the life of the chain...

I'm doing 1000km per week now, so the chain is quite an imporant in my weekly maintenance.

Oakie
21st May 2016, 10:07
Also replace your rear sprocket when you change your chain to prolong the life of the chain. You may be able to get away with keeping the sprocket if there is minimal wear though, but any wear will eventually shorten the life of the chain... .

I prefer to replace both sprockets with the chain. I think that's fairly standard.

BMWST?
21st May 2016, 17:55
i can tell you where not to buy it ..repco was 10 or 11 bucks.....warehouse,bunning.mega may be the best place to try,never noticed if its at the supermarket

Swoop
21st May 2016, 18:49
harley dealer?
Fuck off. Official "Hardley Going-son" stealership branded products would be around $25- per litre in comparison.

Oh shit, that is really cheap, I sound a little snobby and should lower my standards a bit
Not a genuine fishead then, eh?:drinknsin

Jin
21st May 2016, 18:56

Ohh look at the posh cunt using white bread. Oily rags too good for you huh? :)

caspernz
21st May 2016, 19:01
I prefer to replace both sprockets with the chain. I think that's fairly standard.

Replacing both sprockets when doing the chain is only done by those with sufficient experience though isn't it?

Haven't seen a worn out chain yet where the sprockets were still mint...

Jin
21st May 2016, 19:06
Replacing both sprockets when doing the chain is only done by those with sufficient experience though isn't it?

Haven't seen a worn out chain yet where the sprockets were still mint...
Had no experience when i did mine is not hard.

Oakie
21st May 2016, 23:21
Replacing both sprockets when doing the chain is only done by those with sufficient experience though isn't it? .

Probably easy enough to do but I'd still get my mechanic to do mine.

jellywrestler
22nd May 2016, 11:00

your maths is pretty shit, given that one has three times as many teeth on it the wear rate is vastly diiferent.