PDA

View Full Version : First time buyer, what is a 1989 model Kawasaki Ninja 250 worth?

dman
21st May 2016, 21:31
I'm looking at buying my first motorbike, and wondering what others would think is a fair price for a 1989 model Kawasaki Ninja 250 in cosmetically poor condition but is mechanically sound? (as I've been offered one by a friend, but rather totally clueless at what would be a fair market price for it, as I've never purchased a motorbike before)

haydes55
21st May 2016, 21:38
Spend $5 more and buy a bike 20 years newer.

WristTwister
21st May 2016, 21:50
I see a similar 250 on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1090841273.htm)for $1650 dollars. I think you should shop around unless your friend is offering you a great deal already.

dman
21st May 2016, 21:59
I see a similar 250 on trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1090841273.htm)for $1650 dollars.

Hmmm... very far away for me, as I'm in Auckland. So I don't see how it possible I could buy this bike?

I think my friend's is similar to that, but more roughed up:

"mirror is bent weirdly because a door fell on it. Still good for wofs though. And the fairings at the bottom aren't attached."

I think you should shop around unless your friend is offering you a great deal already.

Yeah, that is why I'm asking here.... to try and work out beforehand what would be a great deal price or not? $2.5K? $2K? $1.5K? etc

Spend $5 more and buy a bike 20 years newer.

I think if I spent $5 more then the only bike 20yrs newer I could buy would be say a GN250....

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/kawasaki/ex250-f3-ninja-250r/1989/?pricetype=retail

How do USA pricings compare to NZ pricings as a rough guide? As KBB indicates an excellent condition 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 is US$1325 which is roughly NZ$2K

Laava
21st May 2016, 22:17
A bike that old is likely to be a "mechanics bike." In that you will need to be one to keep on top of the endless repairs and maintenance. If this does not sound like you, take the advice from early on and get something much newer. Such as LAMS Kawasaki en650 or similar?

WristTwister
21st May 2016, 22:36
The example I gave wasn't a purchase suggestion, it was just for comparison.

Shop around (http://www.autobase.co.nz/motorbikes-for-sale/any-make/any-model/any-type/0-0-0/page-2.htm?CcTo=600&RegionId=3&SortBy=7&SortOrder=asc), seriously. It's your money and you need to be happy with what you get.

dman
21st May 2016, 22:47
The bike I'm looking at has done 18 thousand kilometers on the clock. It is this model specifically:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_gpx250r%2089.htm

Oakie
21st May 2016, 23:19
The kilometres are ok but the bike is over a quarter of a century old.
OK if you are a mechanic or if you are indeed looking for your first bike and just wanting something you can drop a few times without worrying and then buy another newer bike when this one dies, then sure.

dman
21st May 2016, 23:31
None of this really answers my core question of what would such a bike be worth.... ? Just looking for a ballpark range :)

Ender EnZed
21st May 2016, 23:36
Does it have a recent wof and is it currently registered? If so, then spending $1500 won't get you laughed at for taking a gamble on an old, probably well-raped learner mobile.

dman
21st May 2016, 23:39
Reg ended in April and he thinks the WOF has too, but he says it has always sailed through WOFs without trouble.

What if he was wanting somewhat more than $1.5K, would that still sound reasonable?

Ender EnZed
21st May 2016, 23:56
Did the reg expire or lapse in April? Saying it sails through wofs without trouble isn't worth any more than saying that he wants it out of his garage.

Will it pass a wof and could you register it tomorrow if you bought it tomorrow? If you can't answer these questions then you can't know what it's worth, regardless of the overall mechanical condition. Which no one on the Internet can tell you.

AllanB
22nd May 2016, 00:06
If he is a genuine friend he will get a fresh WOF for the bike first. Saying it will sail through is usually code for being told previously it will fail on tyres or something expensive so he/she is not running it through this time.

You have stated it is cosmetically rough - bent items, lower fairing not fixed (why?) - all pointing to a bit of a neglected ride. Who has told you it is mechanically fine? The friend who won;t WOF it before selling it to you? Hows the brakes? Wheel bearings, steering head bearings? All checked when running it through for a WOF.

IMO It's worth $500 now. Get a WOF maybe a grand. Tidy it up to match the one on Trademe $1,500.

OddDuck
22nd May 2016, 01:47
OP: extreme caution purchasing this bike, at any price. Yeah, I know it's a mate and all.

Rubber: there will be failed seals everywhere, especially the seals through the inside of the engine. With the rubber it's not just kilometers, it's time as well. Plasticisers evaporate or the rubber sets under compression. It doesn't lead to catastrophic failures (usually) but expect fouled spark plugs, embarrassing oil leaks, weird running problems like the bike having trouble idling.

Rust: you can expect massive frustration trying to do simple jobs like taking a wheel axle out. Rust will have locked a lot of things in place. It's fine until you've got a repair to sort out, then things that should take ten seconds will need two hours or more.

Electrical system: expect gremlins, due to dirt, oil and corrosion. Insulation will be starting to crack, too.

Spares: might not be able to get them any more, even out of a wreckers. Lack of a spare might kill the bike, unless you have the skills or the contacts to custom fabricate a replacement.

Money: Purchase sounds OK, spares / labour / tools / facilities will add up in one hell of a hurry. You are going to spend a lot more than the initial purchase price.

Others are telling you that this is a mechanic's bike... they are not kidding. This is experience talking. I know it's not what you want to hear, but we're trying to help. You want to actually ride, right?

Jin
22nd May 2016, 06:16
Sub 2k but make him get a wof.

Voltaire
22nd May 2016, 08:48
On the other hand I learned all my mechanical skills from buying old shitters back in the day. Learning practical skills on mechanics and electrics is not time wasted IMHO..

..playing Xbox,Facebook and Netflix is.:innocent:

Oakie
22nd May 2016, 09:47
None of this really answers my core question of what would such a bike be worth.... ? Just looking for a ballpark range :)

OK. For me, $1000 and the acceptance that it will require more money and time thrown at it. Not this one is it? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1090841273.htm

Erelyes
22nd May 2016, 09:54
IMO It's worth $500 now. Get a WOF maybe a grand. Tidy it up to match the one on Trademe $1,500.

I had one and would agree with this.

1650 no wof/reg is dreaming.

dman
22nd May 2016, 10:07
OK. For me, $1000 and the acceptance that it will require more money and time thrown at it. Not this one is it? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1090841273.htm

No. Not that one.
It isn't listed on TradeMe just yet, he is giving me first dibs on it.

Moi
22nd May 2016, 10:11
Listen to the voices of experience... especially OldDuck.

What is your budget? - for the bike and excluding what you have budgeted for gear. Then look for a bike with both registration and a WoF.

Your friend's bike is worth very little as it is not road legal.

My 2c worth...

dman
22nd May 2016, 10:23
If he got current registration and wof for it first before I bought it, would it be worth $2K then?

Akzle
22nd May 2016, 10:27
i bought one a shitload closer to 1988 for about 800 bung.

Dont do it new guy. Your friend isnt much of one and probably trying to recoup what he paid before it before it was (as) fucked.

Akzle
22nd May 2016, 10:30
If he got current registration and wof for it first before I bought it, would it be worth $2K then?

nigger, are you deaf?

dman
22nd May 2016, 10:34
nigger, are you deaf?

So that is one really big "No"?

AllanB
22nd May 2016, 10:45

It will still be a hack given the way you have described it.

Get on to Trademe and see what $2-3 k will buy you for a first bike. Then make your decision.

I'm feeling you are either getting pressure from the seller or putting yourself under pressure as he/she is a 'friend'. Neither is a good way to purchase a new bike.

Plus - stop being blinded by the 'sporty' looks. They are skin deep - and in this case sound like they need cosmetic surgery.

Alternatively pop up a post on KB and see if someone with some knowledge will go and have a look at the bike for you. Or tell your friend to run it around to a motorcycle shop and pay for a hours time for a mechanic to give you a report. Is there a mobile bike mechanic in your city?

Akzle
22nd May 2016, 10:46
So that is one really big "No"?

did you READ any of the posts between your first one and now?

I mean what IS the fucking point?

AllanB
22nd May 2016, 10:56
did you READ any of the posts between your first one and now?

I mean what IS the fucking point?

A friend said it is a good deal ..............................

Akzle
22nd May 2016, 11:09
A friend said it is a good deal ..............................

and it might be. At my price.

WristTwister
22nd May 2016, 11:10
Whose Dman?
I'm not telling you what to pay for your mates bike because you shouldn't limit yourself to just one option. If you have a budget, look at what else you can afford in your price range, you might get something newer and in better condition. Don't buy his bike like it's the only one for sale. From what you say, it looks bunged up and has no WOF. You are buying this as a favour for your mate, not yourself. Look elsewhere:sherlock:.

Without knowing your budget, I'd suggest a used GN they are as common AF or if you like sporties, a used Yam R15.

OddDuck
22nd May 2016, 11:50
+1 on that. Whose D's are they?

Look, the great human weakness is listening to things you don't want to hear. It's not easy to do, but you can save yourself a fuckload of grief if you can just take on board what people are saying.

Maha
22nd May 2016, 12:02
Just buy the fucking thing, you can always 'part it out' which can sometimes be the best option for a 27 year bike. You get what you pay for.

Price indicator? is what ever you are prepared to pay for it. Around $1700 seems to be the market value...dreamers.
I once bought a 600cc bike for a $1000, just had to rust proof the tank and recon the clutch over the next year or so.
In all honesty, if that's where you're are at the moment (looking to spend not a lot on your first bike) then offer what you feel is a fair price, he is you mate and may surprise and take the money. Just keep in mind that you'll be spending money on it so offer $900- 1000 if you can.

5ive
22nd May 2016, 12:06
"Hey guys, so I bought my mates bike for $2000, but when I went for a WoF they failed it because of a problem with the 'x', and it's going to cost another $xxx to fix. Should I ask my mate for a refund, or try to sell it? What do I do guys?"

Don't be that guy...

russd7
22nd May 2016, 12:10
a bike is only worth what some one is prepared to pay for it, firstly i would suggest rather strongly not to buy off ya mate, not very often a good idea, secondly if the bike was an absolute minter with a fresh warrant and six months or so of reg then i would suggest ya 2k might be ok. but everything you have said about that bike screams to me $500.00 max and only as a project if thats what you are in to. if the bike is as rough as you say then 18000 kms would scream BS to me.

remember a warrant of fitness tells you absolutely nothing about the bike, i have seen a 250 with a brand new warrant with badly leaking fork seals.

everything screams to me leave this bike and let your mate put it on Trademe

Oakie
22nd May 2016, 12:46

Not to me although a new WOF would help depending on any upcoming issues comments. (Still not $2k though).

Another perspective on it's value. It's done 18000km in 27 years so assuming the 18000km is true, that's an average of just 666km a year. It may mean that has sat unused for some time in one or more periods of it's life and that doesn't help much either.

Akzle
22nd May 2016, 12:55
Not to me although a new WOF would help depending on any upcoming issues comments. (Still not $2k though).

Another perspective on it's value. It's done 18000km in 27 years so assuming the 18000km is true, that's an average of just 666km a year. It may mean that has sat unused for some time in one or more periods of it's life and that doesn't help much either.

-or-
it's been clocked

Moi
22nd May 2016, 13:00
These are more realistic:

This could be a serious contender:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1089795441.htm

Demand a WoF and 3 months rego, or offer quite a bit less
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1079707283.htm

Unless you, or someone else, can take it for a test ride I wouldn't touch it with a forty-foot barge pole...

dman
22nd May 2016, 14:43
Soooo.... wrong about the WOF, he now says it is until July. But registration expired a couple of weeks ago.

AllanB
22nd May 2016, 16:36
Get that Yamaha above. Yeah it does not have the horn sport look but it's your first bike and anything sport should be the last thing on your mind ....

russd7
22nd May 2016, 18:04
Soooo.... wrong about the WOF, he now says it is until July. But registration expired a couple of weeks ago.

sounds to me like you are wanting someone here to say "yeah mate that is gonna be an awesome deal and you should grab it real quick before ya mate chucks it on trademe and gets 5k for it."

if thats what you want then just go buy it and blame someone else for your cockup, otherwise listen to what most here have told you and leave it for ya mate to sell elsewhere and stop trying to come up with reasons that a shitter of a bike could possibly worth what he wants for it

Jonno.
22nd May 2016, 19:09
Worth anywhere from 1000 to 1600. Wouldn't pay more than 1k. Actually I wouldn't buy it at all because there is 0 chance it's in horrible cosmetic condition and has been looked after.

If 1k makes such a huge difference to you, then you're going to struggle to replace consumables the are probably due yesterday, let alone when you face any real problems. Spend 2k and get a Scorpio or something.

dman
23rd May 2016, 07:40
Went and looked at it last night with my brother and sister (who both are experienced riders), checked out well. But in the end I didn't buy it. The seller was firm on $2K.

Akzle
23rd May 2016, 08:10
Went and looked at it last night with my brother and sister (who both are experienced riders), checked out well. But in the end I didn't buy it. The seller was firm on $2K.

totally worth making a thread about.

Anyway. We, the kb collective, think you've dodged a bullet.

Good luck to the prick. Trademe will let him know.

Is your sister hot?

EJK
23rd May 2016, 08:45
Do you really want a ZXR? There are some newer and bulletproof reliable 250 bikes on Trademe (Suzuki GN250, Yamaha Scorpio etc).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-1089795441.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/cruiser/auction-1067815537.htm

Does good drifts.

Maha
23rd May 2016, 08:46
Anyway. We, the kb collective.

Is that the motorcycle equivalent to a knitting circle collective?

Voltaire
23rd May 2016, 09:32

Is your sister hot?

Gives you non biker types something to while away your meaningless hours :laugh::laugh:

Nice to see the KB Collective has a spokesman :niceone:

dman
23rd May 2016, 13:54

Ha, well.... I'm a very cautious when it comes to financial decisions. And this was the first day I'd ever seriously looked at a bike to buy. And it would be my biggest financial decision ever.

Never expected however for this thread to become multiple pages long :-o

Oh no, he most certainly is not a prick! He is a very nice guy. Just I think it is the wrong bike for me personally, for somebody else it will make them happy though (my sister loved the bike! She even named it, haha).

Is your sister hot?

Ha! Wouldn't be right for me to say....

Do you really want a ZXR? There are some newer and bulletproof reliable 250 bikes on Trademe (Suzuki GN250, Yamaha Scorpio etc).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/cruiser/auction-1067815537.htm

Does good drifts.

I intend to check out the first one, the 2nd one is in Hamilton which might be a bit far....

Drifting doesn't matter to me! I just want a sensible but cheap-ish commuter bike for me to learn on.

williamallenjnr
23rd May 2016, 14:47
Buy a new bike

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

DMNTD
23rd May 2016, 15:13
Oh no, he [I]most certainly is not a prick! He is a very nice guy. Just I think it is the wrong bike for me personally, for somebody else it will make them happy though...

Mate, it's an old chunk of shit that wasn't worth feck all. You've done well missing out on it.

Akzle
23rd May 2016, 15:15
Ha! Wouldn't be right for me to say....

well then, obviously, you have to provide pictures

Maha
23rd May 2016, 16:07
(my sister loved the bike! She even named it, haha).

Axzel named his bike bits n' pieces and he sold it as such. So you should listen to him on shit bike matters, he knows his stuff where this is concerned more than any other in his tight knit 'collective'.

Banditbandit
23rd May 2016, 16:24
Reg ended in April and he thinks the WOF has too, but he says it has always sailed through WOFs without trouble.

What if he was wanting somewhat more than $1.5K, would that still sound reasonable?

No.

It's worth bugger all as it is - has been said $500.

With a WOF and a rego then a grand ... If you spend money on it then maybe $2grand ... (but only after you've spent money on it ...)

If you want a first bike to learn on, then maybe his one - but only if you can get it for under a grand. Rego and WOF may well cost quite a bit ..

How long has it been stored? What are the tyres like? If they have gone hard it doesn't matter how much tread you have - it won't be rideable.

When was it last run? Have you heard it running? What doers it feel like to ride?

Positive answers will start to add to its value, negative answers will detract - and add to your cost to get it on the road ..

russd7
23rd May 2016, 17:48
No.

It's worth bugger all as it is - has been said $500.

With a WOF and a rego then a grand ... If you spend money on it then maybe $2grand ... (but only after you've spent money on it ...)

If you want a first bike to learn on, then maybe his one - but only if you can get it for under a grand. Rego and WOF may well cost quite a bit ..

How long has it been stored? What are the tyres like? If they have gone hard it doesn't matter how much tread you have - it won't be rideable.

When was it last run? Have you heard it running? What doers it feel like to ride?

Positive answers will start to add to its value, negative answers will detract - and add to your cost to get it on the road ..

wasted ya time, if ya had of already read all the pages ya woulda seen that he had already decided to dodge the bullet on this one form his really nice guy mate but his hot sister wants to name his baby or somit like that anyway

Jonno.
24th May 2016, 18:21
Oh no, he most certainly is not a prick! He is a very nice guy. Just I think it is the wrong bike for me personally, for somebody else it will make them happy though (my sister loved the bike! She even named it, haha).

Kiwibiker has confirmed it's the wrong bike for anyone.

Akzle
24th May 2016, 19:38
Kiwibiker has confirmed it's the wrong bike for anyone.

should we tell him about the right to appeal?

Oakie
24th May 2016, 20:30
should we tell him about the right to appeal?

Nah. It's gone on long enough and I think has made the sensible decision. Oh. A sensible person in KiwiBiker? He'll never last.

Akzle
24th May 2016, 20:56
Nah. It's gone on long enough and I think has made the sensible decision. Oh. A sensible person in KiwiBiker? He'll never last.

to be fair, i think his potentially hot sister made the decision for him...

Oakie
24th May 2016, 22:38
to be fair, i think his potentially hot sister made the decision for him...

Still haven't seen the evidence either.

Jin
24th May 2016, 23:44
You guys sure know how to turn threads creepy.

Akzle
25th May 2016, 05:18
Still haven't seen the evidence either.

for shame....

Akzle
25th May 2016, 05:19
You guys sure know how to turn threads creepy.

wanna root?

dman
13th June 2016, 14:49
Minor update: yesterday night I purchased a Suzuki VL250 2009. Sister bravely rode it back in the rain for me from Dury to Manukau, where it is parked up in the garage while I get stuff sorted out so I can ride it.

Akzle
13th June 2016, 15:00
still no pics...

Burnie
13th June 2016, 16:30
Minor update: yesterday night I purchased a Suzuki VL250 2009. Sister bravely rode it back in the rain for me from Dury to Manukau, where it is parked up in the garage while I get stuff sorted out so I can ride it.

Good choice in bike. I've had this for a couple of months now and love it.

Pics of yr bike are now required. (Pics of yr sister can be sent straight to Akzle)

dman
13th June 2016, 16:44
Well it is being stored in Manukau... I live in Auckland CBD. So can't take photos of it right now!

I doubt I'll be storing it here in the city for regular riding just yet, probably a month away. And I'll pop down to my mother's once or twice a week for practice test rides first.

russd7
13th June 2016, 17:35
on ya dude, best way to get practice is just get hold of it and ride, ya gonna be pretty much outta ya comfort zone till ya get some k's under ya belt.