PDA

View Full Version : Gaskets or goo?

Fisher Don
7th June 2016, 17:05
I am new to this website, so here is my first posting.
I have agreed to do up some dairy farm Suzuki Tf125's for the farm to get another season or two out of them.
Low dairy prices mean the bikes in the back of the shed need to be used as there will be no new ones, even Dingalings, this year.
But these are a mess, more crud and mud to get through than I thought could possibly gather on a motorbike and some real bodgy repairs.
Getting them clean should be a big improvement.
So here I am getting ready to reassemble the first engine after the cylinder has had a going over, new piston and rings.
I want a reliable running engine, not HP enhancements, just should start well and run well.

Do I use gaskets or goo for the engine reassembly?
WHat is best for the reassembly?

Akzle
7th June 2016, 17:29
head needs a gasket ( i hope that's obvious) anything that sets engagemet of gears, pinions, kickstarts, probably also best with a gasket.
snot for everything else.

sidecar bob
7th June 2016, 17:44
Use "Three Bond" from Repco, it is the stuff the jap car makers use at the factory & is fantastic.
Don't worry about the price, it goes a long way when used sparingly as it should be & you will never get a leak from it.
With those TF's when I worked for the Suzuki dealer years ago, when we water blasted the trade in's, we usually found that the gusset on top of the swing arm in front of the tyre was rotted out from a build up of cow shit piled onto it for years.
They could always be repaired with a bit of sheet metal & a mig welder.

OddDuck
7th June 2016, 21:41
You can get generic gasket paper from Repco, or maybe there's some hanging around... don't use it.

I did, a while ago, and initially thought it was fantastic that I could cut my own gaskets. It works, but it crushes up and things loosen after assembly, it also picks up humidity while stored and swells (maybe that's why it loosens).

You're OK with proper pattern gaskets, though. If they're spacers you'll need them, otherwise Three Bond as said.

Akzle
7th June 2016, 21:46
You can get generic gasket paper from Repco, or maybe there's some hanging around... don't use it.

maybe ripcos product is shit. but theres paper and other gasket material to be had that does it's job. just need the knowing. and a set of hole punches.

Kickaha
8th June 2016, 06:11
head needs a gasket ( i hope that's obvious)
Uneless it's a Ducati because they don't bother using them on some models

Akzle
8th June 2016, 07:40
Uneless it's a Ducati because they don't bother using them on some models

when did they start making tf125s?

Banditbandit
8th June 2016, 10:55
I haven't had to do it for a long time ...

Way back I used a silicon-based gasket goo ... piped it around the case and let it set for a short while (should go matte rather than wet shiny) but not completely dry ... before I put the cases back together.

Danger Dave
8th June 2016, 11:27
Order a complete gasket set from Bits4bikes only $13.97

https://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/Search-For-Products/Suzuki/TF125%20MUD%20BUG/2013?filter0=YMM_Ma_Suz_0&filter1=YMM_Y_2013&filter2=YMM_Mo_TF125MUD_38#.V1dYFrh97cs

Fisher Don
8th June 2016, 16:00
Guys, many thanks for your help and advice.
I am going with gaskets for this first bike.

Thanks Dave for the parts website, I will be placing some orders for parts there very soon.
Did not realise how many bits were shot until I took a spanner to them.

I will have some more questions to follow up soon.
Only have until late July to finish this job.