PDA

View Full Version : heeeeelp!! How do you take a front wheel off??

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 16:46
Sounds easy... but it ain't...

Tried following the err... what 4 lines in the manual... loosen the two bolts on the right (as you are sitting on the bike) the axle bolt (12mm) and the bolt underneath that, that points backwards, I've removed the speedo cable, removed the brakes... but the wheel stays firm... it won't moooooove...

Is there a trick to this??

kerryg
29th September 2005, 16:52
So (sorry if this is a stupid question_....

Did you remove the axle? If you did, and you've removed the brake calipers, speedo drive etc there should be nothing holding the wheel in place. Just give it a sharp knock with a rubber mallet

Ixion
29th September 2005, 16:58
You say you loosened the axle bolt. Did you remove the axle itself - like a humungeous long bolt ? Should take that right out. Then front wheel falls off. Then bike falls over. Then you think "Should have propped it up before i pulled the axle bolt out"

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:07
ahhh... the dumb manual says loosen.... must be lost in translation I guess...

*goes off to try*

duckman
29th September 2005, 17:11
Nah, don't worry about the axle - Just keep hitting it harder!!! :weird:

Rep point coming your way for "worst peice of mechanicking today". :whistle:

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:21
OK, got the bit on the left off... but the axle ain't budging...

piccies... first shot - seems like there is a bit on the inside right fork that would stop stuff moving... also, do you just hit it?? there doesn't seem to be any play in the axle. Also, no way to get a grip and pull...

Here I was thinking this would be a nice way to "get to know my bike", introduce yourself nice and easy to "mechanicking" and all that.

k14
29th September 2005, 17:27
There is another bolt holding the bottom of the fork together on the right side fork, can see it in the first pic. At the moment that side of the axle is not moving out of the fork and all you are doing is bending the fork to the side, not really good for it. If you release that bolt (looks like a 8mm or so allen bolt) it should pop out.

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:38
First pic with nuts numbered:
1. Brake allen nut, screwed back into brake unit which is loose
2. Brake allen nut, screwed back into brake unit which is loose
3. Tried that, little screw... few drops of liquid came out. Guessed it was fork oil and very quickly put it back in...

FROSTY
29th September 2005, 17:40
as K14 said--loosen that bolt---it had to stay tight tiill ya undid the axle bolt

k14
29th September 2005, 17:42
1 and 2 hold the caliper on, the other empties the fork oil.

Its this one: (I can even see that you have undone the equivalent bolt on the other fork leg).

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:43
which bolt?? I think I have undone every bolt in the area...

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:44
Its this one: (I can even see that you have undone the equivalent bolt on the other fork leg).
gone already. it looks like the fork has a split in it, but it doesn't seem to open up...

k14
29th September 2005, 17:46
Is the front wheel suspended above the ground? You could have a problem getting it out if it has weight on it. There must be something you are missing, it should be a 2 minute job.

aff-man
29th September 2005, 17:48
baa i could come take a look if you want . should be easy peasy

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:50
Is the front wheel suspended above the ground? You could have a problem getting it out if it has weight on it.
Tried up and down, but then when I had thought about it, it kinda works both ways doesn't it?? either the bike weight, or the wheel weight

There must be something you are missing, it should be a 2 minute job.
You say so, I thought so... :crybaby: I know once I get it off, I should be able to do it again... its always the first time... :brick:

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 17:51
baa i could come take a look if you want . should be easy peasy
please, if you are free... you are only what? 2 min up the road... if you hurry, you could make it in one... :whistle:

aff-man
29th September 2005, 17:57
time for some one wheel antics. be there shortly.

Ixion
29th September 2005, 18:36
Um, before you do finally pull the wheel, do remember to prop the bike up. Cos with only one wheel they tend to fall over.

aff-man
29th September 2005, 19:19
done and done...

plus gremlin learnt a new philosophy :whistle: :whistle:

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 19:31
Yep, thanks to aff-man, its all done.

We had a great yarn, and he whacked the bike a bit... my beautiful bike :killingme

Yep, the piece "holding" the axle in was actually a short bit, probably serving as a spacer. I was almost there...

aff-man pulls up. Yep, whats the problem. It won't come off. What? Gimme a rod and I'll hit it. WHAT? *I get hammer and large allen key* *He whacks it out easy as... it was just tight.* :sweatdrop

Oh, and the reason I did it in the first place was to take the mudguard off to replace it. I figured anything would be easier than trying to get into the tight space... :argh:

Oh, and don't ever pay me to be a mechanic, but I am learning

Cheers (obviously) to aff-man, all that help, some tips, advice etc. and WTF to Jim2... all he did was give me rep saying it was the best laugh he had had (between laughing) no advice :no: :lol:

cowpoos
29th September 2005, 19:47
Yep, thanks to aff-man, its all done.

We had a great yarn, and he whacked the bike a bit... my beautiful bike :killingme

Yep, the piece "holding" the axle in was actually a short bit, probably serving as a spacer. I was almost there...

aff-man pulls up. Yep, whats the problem. It won't come off. What? Gimme a rod and I'll hit it. WHAT? *I get hammer and large allen key* *He whacks it out easy as... it was just tight.* :sweatdrop

Oh, and the reason I did it in the first place was to take the mudguard off to replace it. I figured anything would be easier than trying to get into the tight space... :argh:

Oh, and don't ever pay me to be a mechanic, but I am learning

Cheers (obviously) to aff-man, all that help, some tips, advice etc. and WTF to Jim2... all he did was give me rep saying it was the best laugh he had had (between laughing) no advice :no: :lol:

I can get my mudguard on and off with out removing the wheel...!!!!
you should try it next time?

TLDV8
29th September 2005, 19:53
If it has lower pinch bolts to secure the axle,once the wheel is back on,don't forget to put it up against a wall (or not using the front brake) and pump the forks up and down before torquing them. (fwiw)

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 20:06
I can get my mudguard on and off with out removing the wheel...!!!!
you should try it next time?
yep, but the bolts secure from the inside, did that the first time, but the bolts are slightly longer than the space between the hole and the tyre wall. Last time I had a mate who was used to that kinda space and managed to do. I couldn't :mellow:

If it has lower pinch bolts to secure the axle,once the wheel is back on,don't forget to put it up against a wall (or not using the front brake) and pump the forks up and down before torquing them. (fwiw)
umm.. wanna give me a reason or why? I didn't, but perhaps I should tomorrow before I ride it. I did test that everything was tight though.

Ixion
29th September 2005, 20:26
done and done...

plus gremlin learnt a new philosophy :whistle: :whistle:

Is that the one involving the BLOODY BIG HAMMER. Sometimes phrased as "if it doesn't work first time you're not hitting it hard enough" ?

Gremlin
29th September 2005, 20:55
That would be the one... being a labourer I'm well used to all sorts of hammers etc. but the thought of smacking up a bike didn't appeal... but it worked :niceone: