PDA

View Full Version : Got a job

riffer
29th September 2005, 22:27
I start tomorrow.

I'm the Production Manager at the local Community Paper, the Upper Hutt Leader. :banana:

Nice and close to home. Pay's not fantastic, but there's perks that make it worthwhile.

To celebrate, Gini let me buy a new guitar to add to the stable.

I've been after a new acoustic for ages, and recently looked at both a Gretch Rancher Junior, and the one I bought, the Garrison AG-700 (http://www.garrisonguitars.com/ag700.html). For those of you who know a bit about guitars, Garrison are a Canadian outfit favoured by James Taylor. They make a beautiful guitar range, and have recently brought out a new range, using all Canadian wood but assembled in China to reduce the manual labour cost. An interesting bit on the Garrison AG guitars - instead of the standard bracing of the soundboard assembly comprising multiple pieces of wood, they use the Griffiths Active Top Brace™, which is a one-piece glass-fibre unit which provides incredible stability to the soundboard, resulting in an increased volume, particular in the bass and middle frequencies. End result - the guitar is loud...

It's all inlaid with paua, and has a fully bound body and neck, and Gold-plated Grover 18-1 machine heads. I have Grovers on my Les Paul, and I swear by them.

Anyway those of you interested in acoustics should pop by and have a listen/play on this one - it's just great :cool:.

Oh - and Gini's happy I got a job too. Putting up with me at home for seven weeks ain't been easy for her...

strayjuliet
29th September 2005, 22:33
Congratulations on the new job and the new guitar. Enjoy. :niceone:

Edit: 200th post woot!!!

SlowHand
29th September 2005, 22:50
awesome! I wonder if i quit my job and started again someone would give me money to buy a guitar - any takers?

Ahh yes the G chord, normally, when in doubt, strum GCD in the right order! -dam boring tho, I hate when ppl rely completely on em. not that Im any good

Hitcher
29th September 2005, 22:51
Congratulations on the new job, Simon. That must come as a huge relief!

As for guitars -- evil music-making devices, them, that require dexterity, coordination and patience to master. All attributes that I lack in abundance. I admire all musicians greatly, irrespective of their ability.

Wolf
29th September 2005, 22:53
Congrats on the job and the guitar. Tried learning one once but couldn't get it under my chin.

SlowHand
29th September 2005, 22:57
cos of the belly?

*disclamer - I've never met Wolf, he could be some sort of don juan for all I know

Wolf
29th September 2005, 23:24
cos of the belly?

*disclamer - I've never met Wolf, he could be some sort of don juan for all I know
That gun in your Avatar better be loaded! :devil2:

Actually, the second through fifth chins got in the way...

FROSTY
29th September 2005, 23:30
congrates me ol mate Im pleased for ya -but a guitar?? maaaaaaate -thats 2 sets of tyres for a trackday there :devil2:

Big Dave
29th September 2005, 23:39
I've never met Wolf, he could be some sort of don juan for all I know

Me either - but I imagine more Don Duck.

strayjuliet
29th September 2005, 23:40
If and when Wolf gets a new job, I will let him celebrate.

By buying me a new bike. :devil2:

strayjuliet
29th September 2005, 23:42

No that's me. :devil2:

sels1
29th September 2005, 23:43
Congrats on the new job Simon, and nice guitar too :niceone:

Wolf
29th September 2005, 23:48
More like Daffy Duck. Woo Woo!

strayjuliet
29th September 2005, 23:58
More like Daffy Duck. Woo Woo!

Not just the normal Daffy Duck either, more like Duffy in Duck dodgers. :whistle:

Congrats again, Riffer.

SPORK
30th September 2005, 00:18
W00t! Go Upper Hutt! Good on ya, man. Also high-five for the new guitar. I really need to get around to getting either an EX-260 or a Jackson JS30RR (Randy Rhoads). Both pretty mean axes...

SlashWylde
30th September 2005, 00:56
Good on ya man!

Nice guitar too, good choice. I looked closely at the Garrison range this time last year when I was buying a new acoustic and eventually settled on the Seagull S6+ Cedar GT. A beautiful instrument - very happy with it.

Happy strumming.

-SW

Big Dave
30th September 2005, 02:48
Nice axe!
You inspired me to dust off the Ibanez.
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/etude.html

TonyB
30th September 2005, 06:33
Hey congrats Riffer! Good luck with the new job, oh and nice guitar.

ManDownUnder
30th September 2005, 14:45
good taste in bikes and instruments...

onya chap. Enjoy the new job
MDU

Zed
30th September 2005, 15:01
I start tomorrow.

I'm the Production Manager at the local Community Paper, the Upper Hutt Leader. :banana:

Nice and close to home. Pay's not fantastic, but there's perks that make it worthwhile.Congrats on the new job Simon, hope it works out for you!! :niceone:

vifferman
30th September 2005, 15:07
Congratulations, Simon. Good luck with the job!

I don't think you ever regret buying good quality stuff. When I was self-emplyed, I was very tempted to buy a Tacoma acoustic (~$2k) that had just come into the shop. Opted for a (much cheaper) Washburn instead, which is OK, but technically/acoustically a piece of shit compared to the Tacoma, which would have been an investment and brought years of pleasure.
I hope your Garrison certainly brings you lots of smiles and years of enjoyment. :niceone:

Jamezo
30th September 2005, 16:40
I start tomorrow.

Nice and close to home. Pay's not fantastic, but there's perks that make it worthwhile.

To celebrate, Gini let me buy a new guitar to add to the stable.

nice guitar :cool:

can you make the ads go away and put in more saucy local police reports? (remember that furore about the dude and the horse lolololol!!!!)

Badcat
30th September 2005, 16:45
great news bud.
i knew you'd fall on your feet.
ken