PDA

View Full Version : Who transports bikes from Christchurch to Auckland for cheap???

elliotte
30th September 2005, 09:00
I need a bike picked up from Christchurch and delivered to Auckland but the only people I've found - Jeff's, charge $500. This seems pretty excessive to me, but then again I've never done this before... anyone know anyone cheaper??

enigma51
30th September 2005, 09:05
What type of bike? Cause if it is a duc aprilia etc I will ride it for you to auckland :devil2:

kerryg
30th September 2005, 09:30
I need a bike picked up from Christchurch and delivered to Auckland but the only people I've found - Jeff's, charge $500. This seems pretty excessive to me, but then again I've never done this before... anyone know anyone cheaper??

I shipped a bike to Christchurch from Auckland using Mana Transport at about half that, in a furniture truck. No problems. See if they've got a local branch

Sniper
30th September 2005, 10:15
Go for Jeffs mate. At least you know they will look after your bike.

bugjuice
30th September 2005, 10:18
I'll ride it up even if it's not a 'prillie..
just go halves on an airfare down there, and half the gas and ferry crossing, and it'll be way cheaper than finding any company to ship it up..
it's not the RGV you show in your profile, is it..??

Sniper
30th September 2005, 10:19
I'll ride it up to Picton and put it on the boat for you. If you want you can get someone to pick up the bike on the other side? Thats cheap.

martyo
30th September 2005, 14:03
I work for a company that has trucks moving between the main centres on a daily basis. Not carrying loads just being relocated. If timing is not an issue to you I could probably arrange to get it to Auckland within a couple of weeks for a tray of amber liquid. :drinkup:

dangerous
1st October 2005, 07:39
I shipped a bike to Christchurch from Auckland using Mana Transport at about half that, in a furniture truck. No problems. See if they've got a local branch
yeah used to work in with them a bit rough mangy looking buggers but good at what they do I drove for Furniture Express last price I got was $180 furniture movers are the way to go.

grego
1st October 2005, 08:21
I'll ride it up to Picton and put it on the boat for you. If you want you can get someone to pick up the bike on the other side? Thats cheap.

Just thought I'll give you some info that might come in handy in the future (if there is one)
You can not put a Motorbike on the ferry without an accompanying rider.
Wanted to do it myself but they would not have a bar of it.
kind regards
grego

InDeSkyz
1st October 2005, 21:54
Try giving Streamline a call. They are a large delivery courier type place. I saw a bike once in their truck all packed up when they stopped for a pick up.

Avignon
4th October 2005, 11:00
I got a bike transported from Kaikoura to Auckland for $120. Give BIKETRANZ a call. Took about a week from placing request to delivery.

Sniper
4th October 2005, 12:02
Just thought I'll give you some info that might come in handy in the future (if there is one)
You can not put a Motorbike on the ferry without an accompanying rider.
Wanted to do it myself but they would not have a bar of it.
kind regards
grego

Grego, I would like to know where you get this information from as I have done this before. It might be because I know the guys at the II and Bluebridge VERY well but I put a BMW on and the other guy picked it up on the otherside. I just had to sign a waiver form :motu:

Phenoix
4th October 2005, 13:42
PM NZ-LIAM
His ZXR came up from CHCH to Akl.
Depo to Depo it cost about $180 and took under a week

Kickaha
4th October 2005, 17:52
Grego, I would like to know where you get this information from as I have done this before. It might be because I know the guys at the II and Bluebridge VERY well but I put a BMW on and the other guy picked it up on the otherside. I just had to sign a waiver form :motu:

Bluebridge might,but Tranzrail wont take unaccompanied vehicles

marty
4th October 2005, 19:13
jeffs deliver to your door for that - the others are depot to depot. $180 is pretty good though - does it need to be crated for that? i'm not sure i'd trust others to move a bike on the centre/side stand.

Sniper
5th October 2005, 14:09
Bluebridge might,but Tranzrail wont take unaccompanied vehicles

Thats true, but the bike went on with Toll. New owners.

TonyB
5th October 2005, 14:32
yeah used to work in with them a bit rough mangy lookinh buggers
You would've fitted in well then... :dodge:
elliote- any reason why you're not going to just fly down/ ride it up? It's a great trip and you could do it for well under $500

motelbob
9th October 2005, 20:23
I used Biketranz. From chch moyorcycles to Wellsford in 3 days. Cost $350 and arrived in perfect nick.

cowpoos
11th October 2005, 20:56
Go for Jeffs mate. At least you know they will look after your bike.

as sniper said....jeffs will look after your bike....John who will end up doing the job [works for jeffs] is excellent....and he really looks after any gear they shift....and a top bloke to boot...

I'ld highly recomend them....

Ps: don't go near bike tranz

elliotte
15th October 2005, 13:25
Well I got the bike - Mana transport did it for $350 and I payed an extra $90 for insurance. Ended up taking a week. I would have gone done and ridden it up except I don't have a license :) Now I'm trying to do an oil change and I can't find how to drain the oil.... do 2-strokes just drain from the oil tank cos I cant find a drain plug under the motor...

Ixion
15th October 2005, 14:35
Well I got the bike - Mana transport did it for $350 and I payed an extra $90 for insurance. Ended up taking a week. I would have gone done and ridden it up except I don't have a license :) Now I'm trying to do an oil change and I can't find how to drain the oil.... do 2-strokes just drain from the oil tank cos I cant find a drain plug under the motor...

Nor not more you will. It's a two stroke mate. The oil for the engine is in an oil tank and is designed to be burned as you ride. Don't neglect to refill it regularly (like every time you fill up with petrol) . No oil change on a two stroke, except for the gearbox.

gamgee
18th October 2005, 13:34
i sincerely hope you didn't buy an rgv250 to learn to ride on :Oops:

elliotte
1st November 2005, 10:21
actually, yeah, I bought it to learn to ride on.... is that a bad thing?

Ixion
1st November 2005, 11:34
Hm. Not a bad thing. But perhaps not the most judicial of choices. Especially if you don't have prior experience (eg dirt bikes) of tuned two smokers and their little *ahem,* ah , "foibles". That and the fact that controlling such a wayward beasty may be , ah, "interesting" for a learner. But, having said all that, if you're careful, and sensible (and a bit lucky) you should be OK. 'twill just be a bit harder a road than on something kindly and forgiving of lapses. the RGV won't forgive anything. More exciting, but, which I guess is either good or bad , depending on whether you like excitment (all for a boring life m'self, seem to get quite enough excitment without going looking for it) . Might be a good idea to insure it , though.

Oh - and COVER THE CLUTCH .

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 12:08
but get the bike put into a crate first

elliotte
4th November 2005, 21:15
I see...well, kinda. I've gotta get used to all this biker jargon. Do mean 'forgiving' as in how easy it is to correct over/under steer? Also, will the insurance be mostly for theft or the fact that I'm likely to crash the thing? Oh and one last thing, what does ' cover the clutch' mean, im confused! You're input is appreciated from a learner biker such as myself!

marty
4th November 2005, 21:43
oh you're gonna have fun.....

transformerboy
4th November 2005, 22:32
u pay 4 gas and i'l ride it... sweet prob solvd!

elliotte
5th November 2005, 09:55
oh you're gonna have fun.....

whats that supposed to mean :mellow:

Ixion
5th November 2005, 11:08
The RGV250, like other highly tuned 250cc two strokes , is generally considered a bike for a more experienced rider. They are quite powerful, but more importantly , the power is very "peaky". This can cause , um, excitment.

They're also somewhat of a "hoony" bike, hard to ride slowly. partly becasue caning them is so much fun, partly because of the need to keep them in the power band.

So you do need to know what you're doing and keep your wits about you. Having said that, if you do they are one hell fo a lot of fun. Two smokers rule!

The insurance is for when you crash it. Most RG/RGV have been crashed.

By "unforgiving" I mean that if you get things even a little bit wrong (wrong revs, wrong gear, wrong line, wrong speed etc) , it's likely to get rather nasty quickly. As opposed to something like a GN where it's almost impossible for a beginner to get it wrong enough to cause grief.

You have to remember that an RGV is an almost pure racing bike - as near to a racer as can begotten legally on the road. Which is why they're so fast, and so much fun.

"Cover the clutch" means ALWAYS ride a two smoker with your hand extended over the clutch lever , ready to pull it in immediately. Two strokes have a habit of seizing the engine suddenly. It's not THAT common, and some people ride two strokes for years without experiencing it (not sure quite how, but they do). But, most two smoker riders have had a seizure or two . And when it seizes the rear wheel will lock up, and you want to get the clutch out real quick. Expecially if it's on a corner . Actually, if you're NOT real quick on a corner, probably best NOT to declutch, and opt for the low side crash. Which is better than a high sider if the sliding wheel regains traction when the clutch is disengaged. Just MHO, that, though and others may differ.

Don't be put off. You'll just have a more eventfull introduction than some. But once you've mastered an RGV, you should be able to ride any bike. And you have the pleasure of the wnderful ringa-dinga-ding. And the smell! That's worth a lot just in itself.

Good luck. Ride fast. Ride safe.

elliotte
5th November 2005, 15:35
Thanks for that info, appreciate it heaps. It would kinda suck to have an engine seize huh. I learnt that the RGV is also prone to having its powervalves break and fall onto the piston also causing it to seize. No problems so far..it seems to take corners pretty well. One thing though, I've been riding around a bit now but I can't figure out what revs I should be cruising at going at 65-60kph. I mean, at around 5-6k it feels smooth but it seems kinda fast. Problem is it isnt very responsive lower than 4k.

Well, I hope insurance isn't too expensive, guess I'll try State or sumthing.

thanks again for your help mate.