PDA

View Full Version : Making up the quota...

myvice
30th September 2005, 20:00
Toodling off to pick up parts today in the work van and I got the red and blues behind me moving at warp 9 with the noise and the lights AND the horn just in case I was not just deaf and blind but also dead.
So I pulled over to let them pass, as you do... But they pulled over too.
How odd.
So I stopped (Should have run... Can see it now "We are in high pursuit of a 1000cc Suzuki van, he's nearly at the speed limit...")
Did the good morning officer bit and handed over my licence.
"Do you know that was a red light?"
What?
"At Symonds St and K' Rd you went through a red light."
I went through an orange light, it changed orange about 5 meters before I got to it.
"It was very red"
Did the "no it wasn’t, yes it was" thing and got handed a ticket for $150 for failing to stop at a red light.
As we all know, the K' Rd and Symonds St intersection has a red light camera on it, and the cops like to sit there and nail people as well.
I go through these lights about 6 times a day and wait for the last three cars to pass AFTER my light has gone green at least 4 of those times.
And I get done on an orange light?
I want to know how they could see from their side of the road what colour the light was.
So now what?
Write a nasty letter?
"We have found you guilty anyway, pay up!" (+ Court fees)
But I might have a bit of luck, one of our clients was behind me at the lights (he stopped at the light) and caught up with me later to ask what had happened, told him, and he said he would be a witness.
Will this work? Or am I wasting my time?
Shit like this totally fucks me off! It was only a month or so back I got stopped for doing 112kph on a fucking passing lane!
Passing is no defence so next time you are stuck behind some biddy doing 90 you can only do 100 to pass him/her, how long is the passing lane you are on?
How big is the oncoming truck?
I have had a few mates tell me how they got a ticket for an orange light, I have always thought "Whatever" but now...

madboy
30th September 2005, 20:21
IMHO - pigs are right, you are wrong. And in cases where the pigs are not right - photographs, video or retired/serving judges as witnesses are your only defence. 'Cos we all know, cops are never wrong.

zadok
30th September 2005, 20:28
That's a bummer. :argh:

sels1
30th September 2005, 20:30
Bad luck mate. If you think your witness is good, give it a go - but Judges need some fairly convincing evidence to disregard the police's point of veiew

Grizz
30th September 2005, 20:33
Sorry but orange/red light running is a pet hate of mine at the moment, and whilst I hear what you are saying an orange light should be treated as if it was red, it a shame that so many abuse this.

I remember coming back to Auckland from Brisbane, where the drivers for the most part are a hell of a lot more courteous than here, I stopped for an orange light and the bloke behind me went nuts, I was like, WTF I could stop and did an I get abused!

As for the fine, pay it and move on, it won't do you any good to fight it IMO.

Gremlin
30th September 2005, 20:41
I feel for you mate, but I'm with Nak1d. Road code states that if it turns orange, then, if it is safe to do so, you must stop.

A lot of drivers reckon that orange is "can I speed up and make it".

If you couldn't stop safely, then it shouldn't have been a problem as for running the red as it is orange long enough for you to go through.

If you reckon you have a case, you would probably have to show you were too close to the intersection to stop safely.

Grizz
30th September 2005, 20:46
It was only a month or so back I got stopped for doing 112kph on a fucking passing lane!
Passing is no defence so next time you are stuck behind some biddy doing 90 you can only do 100 to pass him/her, how long is the passing lane you are on?
How big is the oncoming truck?

If its any consolation, I do agree with you about exceeding the speed limit when passing.

Jantar
30th September 2005, 20:50
I would suggest that you write to the police at the address given on the ticket and simply state that you wish to defend the case in court. Add the comment that you have a witness from the vehicle imediately behind you who can confirm that the light had just turned orange, not red, when you entered the intersection and that your witness will confirm that you did not have time to stop safely. Also request a copy of any photos taken by the red light camera at the intersection for the time you are alleged to have passed through the red light, and for 5 minutes either side.

If you are correct, and the light had just turned orange then they will not have a photo of you and the case will be dropped.

myvice
30th September 2005, 20:57
If I could have stopped safely I would have. (95% off the time anyway :devil2: )
I drive like a Nana according to many people I have in a car with me, although my wife wont let me drive after Iv been out on the bike.
She’s moved on to not letting me drive at all now so I'm very happy!
Bad timing too, new helmet, back tyre, and another handful of nasty unexpected bills have left me a bit short of funds, so I hope they can wait for a bit.
Probably not worth the hassle, pay up and build a bridge is probably the best bet...
I'll just think of all the things Iv done and got away with!
$150 to even out the Karma? Priceless!
Felt good to have a rant though!
"All of the toys, out of the pram, NOW!" :cry:
Not worth the time off, muttermuttermumble.

Korumba
30th September 2005, 21:07
Fuck the Pay it and move on Shit!

When Airliners take off there’s a thing they have called V1 and V2 …don’t know much about it but its all Math (Weight /Air Temp/Runway Length etc) the Co Pilot will call V1 as they are rolling so if anything and everything fucks up they can still abort the takeoff and stop. But when V2 is called know mater what happens they have to take off and sort the shit out in the air..

Its all about commitment and if your 5 meters was 25 meters you were still committed and had to go through the lights safely..

Fight it all the way!! You were committed to travel thru the lights and would not have been safe to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ixion
30th September 2005, 21:13
Fuck the Pay it and move on Shit!

When Airliners take off there’s a thing they have called V 1 and V2 …don’t know much about it but its all Math (Weight /Air Temp/Runway Length etc) the Co Pilot will call V1 as they are rolling so if anything and everything fucks up they can still abort the takeoff and stop. But when V2 is called know mater what happens they have to take off and sort the shit out in the air..

Its all about commitment and if your 5 meters was 25 meters you were still committed and had to go through the lights safely..

Fight it all the way!! You were committed to travel thru the lights and would not have been safe to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always do this with traffic lights .Always approach a green light on the overrun, but pick a point as I come up to them . When I get to that point, if the light's still green I'll accelerate hard through the light (assuming there's no idiot running the red the other way of course). Don't pay any attention to the light once I've got to that decision point. If the light's amber at the decision point, I stop. Point varies with conditions etc.

FROSTY
30th September 2005, 21:22
I drive a blody big 4x4 -that gives me the right to ignotre all lights and bikies are just potential hood ornaments -the stteering wheel is to balance my cofee on --whilst im yakkin on my celly

Ixion
30th September 2005, 21:48
I drive a blody big 4x4 -that gives me the right to ignotre all lights and bikies are just potential hood ornaments -the stteering wheel is to balance my cofee on --whilst im yakkin on my celly

Have you been talking to Mr Motu ?

HDTboy
1st October 2005, 00:25
Try and get a hold of the red light camera tape, that'll tell you and the cop who's in the right

hobdar
1st October 2005, 00:42
Whatever you do do it now and quickly, if it does go to court in the meantime they will add about 150 bucks just for talking to the judge.....

If you write a letter get your witness to give a written statement to back it up and ask for the red light camera photos which would prove it was not red..

DEATH_INC.
1st October 2005, 06:57
Me too!But if yer onto it you can use the wheel to hold the herald too so's you can catch up with the latest bs from welly too.
I'm fucken dirty about snakes and their f****n bs at the mo, It's time for all us taxpayers to do something about the way the arseholes can make this sort of bs stick.Lets have some thought on what we can do eh,there must be something.....
I'd be writing and requesting the photo's too,but you'll prolly be fobbed off with some bs :ar15: :Police:

SPman
1st October 2005, 07:15
I got done for the orange, top of Newton Rd/K Rd about a year ago in the Van - at 11 at night! Was still way orange when I got to it but I probably pushed it a bit.... Was told the orange is on for 5 secs. I usually have a cut off point - still green when I get to that point - Go, Orange - stop.
And - for gods sake, can 25yr old cops stop with the safety lectures when they pull you over! Being told by a snotty nose, trail bike ridin, cop on a deserted road, 25 miles from nowhere, that 118kph is "way too fast" and they dont want to be scraping me up off the road, is just about guaranteed to get my back up!
Could they just stick with the "this is the law of the land, driver, and I have to issue you with a ticket!"
At least that would be honest!

Marmoot
1st October 2005, 07:46
I have had a few mates tell me how they got a ticket for an orange light, I have always thought "Whatever" but now...

I'd have to say, 90% of the situation like this you will be found guilty if you goes through the traffic light.

Stopping so hard on orange that causes the back end lift up, however, could be a valid defense for court on stoppie case :devil2:

WINJA
1st October 2005, 10:55
THERES OBVIOUSLY TO MANY COPS AND THEIR RUNNING OUTA CRIME TO FIGHT , THEYVE SOLVED ALL THE BURGS ,EVERY CRIM IS IN JAIL, AND THERES NO MORE RAPES AND MURDERS SO THEYVE MOVED ONTO ALMOST CRIMES , LIKE YOU ALMOST RAN A RED HAVE A TICKET. FUCKEN PIGS . DONT BLAME THE SYSTEM FOLKS BLAME THE CUNTS ON THE COAL FACE , IT WAS AN INDIVIDUAL COP THAT DECIDED A TICKET WAS NECESSARY NOT HIS BOSS.
FUCK THE PIGS

Lou Girardin
1st October 2005, 13:18
Red light cameras in Auck haven't been operational for years. Running reds isn't dangerous like speeding.

TwoSeven
1st October 2005, 13:39
Orange light means stop - unless you have a real good excuse why not, or want to admit you were speeding in an intersection.

If you want to watch red light runners - come down to christchurch. I suspect its the number one cause of crashes down here (same for stop signs too). Most of the ones I see are going too fast for the intersection and couldnt stop if they wanted too, the rest are just trying it on and are trying sneak thru instead of waiting for the next green. Its just lazy driving.

Patrick
1st October 2005, 14:00
.... Running reds isn't dangerous like speeding.

And neither is playing hop scotch in the fast lane of the motorway????? :weird:

Patrick
1st October 2005, 14:05
Bad luck mate. If you think your witness is good, give it a go - but Judges need some fairly convincing evidence to disregard the police's point of veiew

It is as easy as this...write to the Bureau and request all information on this case, which they must disclose, including the copy of the ticket and the officers notes. See how these compare to your witnesses call. Write back with your and your witnesses versions/explanations and point out the obvious differences. With a witness on ya side, they may decide to waive it. If ya don't ask, it will never happen...

Patrick
5th October 2005, 16:44
THERES OBVIOUSLY TO MANY COPS AND THEIR RUNNING OUTA CRIME TO FIGHT , THEYVE SOLVED ALL THE BURGS ,EVERY CRIM IS IN JAIL, AND THERES NO MORE RAPES AND MURDERS SO THEYVE MOVED ONTO ALMOST CRIMES , LIKE YOU ALMOST RAN A RED HAVE A TICKET. FUCKEN PIGS . DONT BLAME THE SYSTEM FOLKS BLAME THE CUNTS ON THE COAL FACE , IT WAS AN INDIVIDUAL COP THAT DECIDED A TICKET WAS NECESSARY NOT HIS BOSS.
FUCK THE PIGS

Problem is they do have quotas, end of story... Most likely hoping they will catch up with you though.... :devil2:

Skyryder
5th October 2005, 17:49
As I understand the law you can travel through an orange light safley providing you have exited the intersection before the light turns red.

Incedently I am still waiting for Roadwatch to reply to my letter about the cop WHO RAN A RED LIGHT. Will come back to this when they reply.

Skyryder

PS

If it comes to a choice I'll take the orange as the safer bet than to suddenly stop have have some wanker up my arse who'se too busy talking on their sell phone. Goodluck in the defence.

sAsLEX
5th October 2005, 18:26
Orange light means stop - unless you have a real good excuse why not, or want to admit you were speeding in an intersection.

So you, at the legal limit of 50km/h, can stop as soon as the light stops being green and changes to orange? Met this dude newton once who would disagree.

number33
5th October 2005, 20:22
What's the difference between driving your car and getting a blowjob?

You can only hold one can of beer when you're driving.

M1CRO
5th October 2005, 22:40
I agree.. Write a "nice" letter to the Infringement office stating your case and that you have a witness... It is still up to the prosecution to prove their case and I would suggest that you and an independent person will add more weight than a solitary cop... If it gets that far, post the date and we will have our placards ready :)

As I know a little of such things, I must add, that the timing of orange is set by road traffic engineers (normally the city council).. that take into account the speed limit in force at the time..

Beemer
6th October 2005, 07:58
Don't bother trying to fight the ticket in court - I got a ticket for going through a red light several years ago and took it to court because it had turned orange about 10 metres before I reached it so I didn't think I could have stopped safely because I had a guy sitting on my tail. He saw the cop (he was in a side road waiting to turn onto the same road we were on) at the last minute and braked - finishing up about 3 metres into the intersection. Did he get a ticket? No, but I did, for going through! If I'd stopped, he would have run into me - but at least I would have been in the right!

I went to court, lost a half-day's pay, the JP hearing the case dropped the fine from $150 to $75, but I still got stung with court costs. Basically the cop and the prosecuting sergeant rubbished everything I said and I was told that there was no way I could know more than a cop with 25 year's experience. I tried arguing that the road code says to stop if you can do so safely, otherwise proceed. As I was not speeding, I felt I had done the right thing, but they kept saying I should have been able to stop. If everyone jammed on their brakes the instant the lights turned orange, there would be accidents at every intersection controlled by lights.

So unless your witness is the chief of police, don't waste your time and money fighting it, you will NOT win.

vifferman
6th October 2005, 08:15
As I understand the law you can travel through an orange light safley providing you have exited the intersection before the light turns red.
Nup.
And don't bother trying to fight this, myvice.
I can understand that you're annoyed because you know you went through on orange, even though the cop says it was red, but that's not the point - you can be ticketed for going through on orange or red; both are effectively the same as far as the law's concerned. You are supposed to be prepared to stop, and must stop if you can. Could you have stopped in the 5 metres you said you had? I dunno, but the cop says you should've stopped and didn't, and unless you have witnesses/evidence to say otherwise, that's that.

Now I feel like a hypocrite; I usually try to stop unless there's some eedjit up my rear end (usually check the mirrors before hitting the brake), but yesterday I went through 4 orange lights when I could've stopped. Of course I went "D'Oh!!" at each one, and told myself off, but I'm glad there was no police about.

Lou Girardin
6th October 2005, 08:42
You must stop for an orange light, unless it's UNSAFE to do so.
In Auckland it's almost unsafe to stop for a red.
But it's funny how the most blatant red light breach was always, "it was orange Officer".
I have no pity for red light runners.

HenryDorsetCase
6th October 2005, 09:53
I would suggest that you write to the police at the address given on the ticket and simply state that you wish to defend the case in court. Add the comment that you have a witness from the vehicle imediately behind you who can confirm that the light had just turned orange, not red, when you entered the intersection and that your witness will confirm that you did not have time to stop safely. Also request a copy of any photos taken by the red light camera at the intersection for the time you are alleged to have passed through the red light, and for 5 minutes either side.

If you are correct, and the light had just turned orange then they will not have a photo of you and the case will be dropped.

I agree, thats good advice.

Beemer
6th October 2005, 12:34
I agree, thats good advice.

It may well be good advice, but it's not going to change anything.

Toast
6th October 2005, 19:38
FUCK THE PIGS

I wouldn't have said it quite so ummmm, WINJAly...but I think I know WINJ is coming from...

Bright line laws set in parliament can not be relied upon to provide justice in every varied case that come about in the real world. It's up to the man on the street to administer justice, and decide whether or not an act was dangerous to those around, infringing on the freedoms and rights of others, etc.

Too many cops forget that their job is to serve the public though, but rather go about administering the 'law' to the exact letter...and for that, those individuals are dumb shits.

scumdog
6th October 2005, 20:24
I wouldn't have said it quite so ummmm, WINJAly...but I think I know WINJ is coming from...

Bright line laws set in parliament can not be relied upon to provide justice in every varied case that come about in the real world. It's up to the man on the street to administer justice, and decide whether or not an act was dangerous to those around, infringing on the freedoms and rights of others, etc.

Too many cops forget that their job is to serve the public though, but rather go about administering the 'law' to the exact letter...and for that, those individuals are dumb shits.

Ya let one guy of and ping the next under slightly different conditions and people just see one got off and one didn't = inconsistency :argh:

WINJA
6th October 2005, 20:41
Ya let one guy of and ping the next under slightly different conditions and people just see one got off and one didn't = inconsistency :argh:
YOUR FULLOSHITE SCUMDOG

scumdog
6th October 2005, 20:45
YOUR FULLOSHITE SCUMDOG

WHER, PRAY MY PAL WITH UNPAINTED ROOF, IS THE SHITE?

WINJA
6th October 2005, 20:54
WHER, PRAY MY PAL WITH UNPAINTED ROOF, IS THE SHITE?
YOU KNOW YOURSELF YOUR FULL O SHIT , WHY DO COPS THINK THAT JUST CAUSE SOMEONES DONE SOMETHING ILLEGAL THEY SHOULD BE TICKETED , YET THEY DECIDE TO LET A GUY GO WHO THREATENED TO BLOW UP SOME SHIT IN TAURANGA, YOU IDIOTS SHOULDA COME DOWN ON THAT FUCKER LIKE A TON OF BRICKS , BUT NO YOU GUYS DECIDE TO HAND OUT TICKETS FOR SOMETHING THATS ALMOST A CRIME, YOU TARDS ARE STARTING TO BELIEVE YOUR OWN BULLSHIT.
JUST CAUSE SOMEONE SPEEDS DOES NOT MEAN THEY SHOULD GET A TICKET

scumdog
6th October 2005, 21:01
YOU KNOW YOURSELF YOUR FULL O SHIT , WHY DO COPS THINK THAT JUST CAUSE SOMEONES DONE SOMETHING ILLEGAL THEY SHOULD BE TICKETED , YET THEY DECIDE TO LET A GUY GO WHO THREATENED TO BLOW UP SOME SHIT IN TAURANGA, YOU IDIOTS SHOULDA COME DOWN ON THAT FUCKER LIKE A TON OF BRICKS , BUT NO YOU GUYS DECIDE TO HAND OUT TICKETS FOR SOMETHING THATS ALMOST A CRIME, YOU TARDS ARE STARTING TO BELIEVE YOUR OWN BULLSHIT.

A little less of the "YOU TARDS" stuff matey, where have I ever said 'just because someone speeds they should get a ticket' or that the dude in Tauranga should have got off so light?

A little tolerance eh - otherwise to balance things I will start thinking it's time to tar all KBers as full blown opinionated 'tards with narrow judgemental minds... or something.

Jamiepo
6th October 2005, 21:42
Winja, just a piece of advice, there is a button on you left that says Caps Lock. Press it once and and all of your writing will be in lower case, it is a lot nicer to read in lower case.
Ta

Skyryder
6th October 2005, 22:00
Winja, just a piece of advice, there is a button on you left that says Caps Lock. Press it once and and all of your writing will be in lower case, it is a lot nicer to read in lower case.
Ta

Some of us have been down this road when Winj first joined. There's a bit of a rumour that Winj has bad eyesight. Guess it's true. To much wanking realy does makes you go blind. He must realy be at himself, my eyesight perfect and I'm an old man. :dodge: :dodge:

Skyryder

Rhino
6th October 2005, 22:15
A little less of the "YOU TARDS" stuff matey, where have I ever said 'just because someone speeds they should get a ticket' or that the dude in Tauranga should have got off so light?

A little tolerance eh - otherwise to balance things I will start thinking it's time to tar all KBers as full blown opinionated 'tards with narrow judgemental minds... or something.

Hi Scumdog,

Some people seem to think that all members of certain professions are arseholes. In my 50+ years experience, I have found good and bad apples in any job you care to name.

Maybe our friend will find out that THE GUY HE GETS TO PAINT HIS ROOF COULD BE A C**T OR A REAL GEM. It all depends on the individual, although I suspect his blinkers may be a problem. :)

Marmoot
7th October 2005, 08:36
Some of us have been down this road when Winj first joined. There's a bit of a rumour that Winj has bad eyesight. Guess it's true. To much wanking realy does makes you go blind. He must realy be at himself, my eyesight perfect and I'm an old man. :dodge: :dodge:

Skyryder

what differs ejaculation by masturbation (also known colloquially as 'wanking') and ejaculation by sexual intercourse then? :mellow:

Or you are saying you have not had much luck? :devil2:

Lou Girardin
7th October 2005, 08:51
Ta

WINJA is on his way to being a national treasure. You just have to overlook his failings and enjoy him for the bigoted redneck that he is. You may not agree with him, but at least he calls a spade a fucking shovel.

Toast
7th October 2005, 13:01

Yeah, I understand you guys haven't got an easy job...but if no one's watching...come on maaaate, let him off if he's not a dick :niceone:

Indoo
7th October 2005, 15:35

Haven't you got a trailer park or something to manage wingy?

Patrick
7th October 2005, 15:45
Circumstances always dictate on what action you do take... often it is "others saw it and they are sitting, watching and waiting for you to do something about it..." Life in the big cities, sorry.... :whistle:

Anyhow, back to the original call..

I was once told that the arrows preceeding an intersection controlled by lightrs are called "advance warning indicators..." (or something like it). To explain further, "I was told" that there are usually two arrows before the stopping lines at the lights.

The one nearest is to remind the dumb areses what way they are supposed to be going...(often ignored too, I might add...). :doh:

The first arrow you pass over, the furthest away from the stop lines, are the important ones. If the light changes before you hit that arrow, at normal legal speed, you can easily stop, safely, before hitting the stop lines. They are designed to be placed on the road surface just for this purpose, as an indicator of where "the point of no return" is.

If you have already passed the first arrow, it is most likely that you can not stop safely...if this is what happened to you on your occasion... :psst:

Write in and hit them with this bit of information and your independant witness, it may not go any further and they may reply, "having considered the information supplied, we will take no further action in this instance..." or words to that effect. :done:

They may not...but if you don't ask... :blip: