PDA

View Full Version : Team Metalform Racing - Wanganui

nicko
2nd February 2004, 16:18
Team Metalform Racing 26 December 2003 – Battle of the Streets @ Cemetery Circuit, Wanganui

Merry Christmas, now let’s go racing! Wanganui is the first of two rounds in the Battle of the Streets series this summer. Nick had raced at Wanganui at the 50th anniversary meeting in 2002 but this was Mike’s first time. The event brought about some revised class formatting which was not to the liking of all riders. 600 Sports Production and Formula 3 were dropped, and no cross-entering was allowed This meant a 600 that could have had six races last year now had two. The awesome battles we saw between the top 600’s and the 1000’s last year did not feature, hopefully we’ll see a change back to the old format for next year. Regardless Team Metalform had a good day and managed to keep things in one piece to be ready to rock into the upcoming National rounds. We’ve got three South Island rounds in as many weeks in January, quite a burden on the days off work and the pocket. Thanks to all our sponsors who are supporting us getting down and racing at the South Island meetings. Any other potential sponsors of any kind, please don’t hesitate to contact us with offerings of cash, gas, food, beer, new bikes etc.

Nick Odermatt #80 Formula Streets

Have you ever tried to get gas on Christmas Day? After a detour from Ohakune to Waiuoru running on the dregs of an empty tank I made it just in time for scrutineering on Christmas day. Had a relaxing evening and woke to an overcast but dry morning in Wanganui. Formula 2 is now called Formula Streets and we had about 23 bikes entered with a host of 600’s and a few V-twins thrown in the mix. I struggled to get a good time with the practice/qualifying sessions as the bike was diving quite heavily under brakes which left me feeling fairly unsettled. Ohlins guru Robert Taylor helped with improving some settings on the front end and the bike felt much more settled for the first race.

Starting off the 3rd row I got quite a good start in the first race, about to tip into the first corner and I was just missed by another rider who blasted through the inside line and T-boned 4 other riders. After the mess got cleaned up we restarted and got away cleanly this time. Passing is a hard task on this track unless you’re a bit faster than the next rider or they make a mistake. The race went smoothly for me and I finished up getting 9th place.

The second race came with rain threatening but not quite getting to the track. I got bunched up into the first corner and diced with Matt Meads on a 750 Ducati for most of the race. At one stage I nearly rear-ended him as he missed a gear coming down the hill before the start/finish line. I kept ahead of Matt then caught up to another Matt, Matt Ford on a new CBR but couldn’t get past and held that position for the rest of the race, finishing 11th. The three of us finished with Matt Ford forward of Odermatt and the Odermatt forward of the other Matt.

With my results I ended up 10th overall for the day and now have another street event under the belt. Looking forward to sampling the South Island tracks, my first time at Levels and Teretonga and getting back for a 2nd look at Ruapuna.

Cheers,
St Nick

Mike Smith #44 Formula Wanganui

We left Auckland on the morning of 24th Dec for the drive down to Wanganui. It was raining as we left but this cleared as we approached Hamilton and the rest of the trip was sunny and with very little traffic.

Christmas morning and I started my training programme of eating all the good tasty stuff you get at this time of year and drinking fizzy wine (our version of champagne). By midday I thought I had trained enough and should now wait for the racing on Boxing Day.

First time for me at Wanganui and it showed with very slow times putting me 14th on the grid. My first race start was good (I think into about 8th) and then I slowly worked my way back down the field. I had gone with the wrong tyre selection and could not get traction, so each time I tried to drive out of the many corners another Aprilia would slip by.

Next was the over 40’s race and with a slick on the traction was much improved, unlike my start, which was not good at all. I managed to get through to 5th so not so bad for an old guy, although we were all old guys.

So now the last race for me and planning a good start (not that I ever plan a bad one but I have perfected them). Flag dropped I raced for the corner. As my grid position had me on the inside I needed to get up level with the next row of bikes so they did not cut me off. You could say I just did not get up enough as one of those Aprilia’s cut into me putting me up on the hay bales (I know who you are Peter!). So after parking there and watching the race I went back to the pits, no real damage and in the end a good day out.

I will be overseas on business for Paeroa so will not be at the next street race. Looking forward to the three National rounds in the Sunny South Island and I hope to be able to report improving positions so watch this space.

Team Metalform Racing would like to thank the following for their support:
Metalforming Technologies, Il Woo Industries, Pacific Direct Lines, Carters, Corporate Design, Haldane Motorcycles, Pacific Freight Management, Waikato Sandblasting Services, Armour Linings, Fredco Motors, Metzeler Tyres, FFM Helmets, GP Star Leathers, Nazran Gloves, Maxima, Izumi Race Chains, Forma Boots, Total

nicko
2nd February 2004, 16:27
Wanganui mono

SPman
2nd February 2004, 19:27
Nice Pic! .............

wari
2nd February 2004, 19:47
Always enjoy your reports guys ... :cool:

I think I saw the hay bale incident on tvone Sunday ... ?

All the best for the rest of the season. :niceone: :spudbooge

wari
2nd February 2004, 19:48
Oh ... and i'll be at wanganui cemetary circuit (hometown) this year come hell or high water . :yeah:

LB
3rd February 2004, 04:53
Yeah, they showed the haybale incident very clearly. I tried to ring Peter to see if he'd seen it but there was no reply....I'll keep on trying as I want to give him shit about it being shown on national tv!