PDA

View Full Version : New THGTTG Movie Really Sucks

RiderInBlack
1st October 2005, 21:16
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Movie.
Who the hell re-wrote this and directed it:bash: Vogon poety would have been less painful. First DVD I have stopped 1/2 way through. Glad I didn't go to the movies to see it. None of the actors fitted the parts. Even Marvin sucked. Give me the books and the orginal TV series over this piece of shit anytime:argh: If You are a true fan of the books, my recommendation is not to watch this. It's like having Vogon poetry read to you while you are strapped into the Total Perspective Vortex with the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

Hooks
1st October 2005, 21:32
Yeah I made the mistake of going to the movies to watch it when it came out ... Not a patch on the TV series !! It's almost criminal !!

Motu
1st October 2005, 21:57
You may have bad taste in your choice of motorcycles - but I'll take heed of your taste in movies....I really,really hate seeing books slaughterd on the silver screen.

zadok
1st October 2005, 22:05
I must admit to seeing very little of the TV series, but I could only handle about 15 minutes of the movie before I gave it up as a bad joke.

dveus
1st October 2005, 22:08
I've just finished watching the dvd a few minutes ago. It definately had a different feel to the TV series, but still enjoyed it.

erik
1st October 2005, 22:12
You're all just too close-minded. :p

I thought the movie was a well thought out adaption of the story from the books.
Sure it's way different, but the original story as it was wouldn't make a good movie, far too long and complicated.
I never managed to watch all of the tv series, it was too dry and old-fashioned.

thealmightytaco
1st October 2005, 22:14
Yeah I saw it at the movies, I thought it was pretty coo'. I only ever saw a few shows of the old tv series though, never got that sacreligous stature onto it.

Wolf
1st October 2005, 23:07
It's like having Vogon poetry read to you while you are strapped into the Total Perspective Vortex with the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.
Belgium!

Thanks for the warning, frood.

One reviewer did say that hardcore fans would wind up like Marvin - very depressed...

RiderInBlack
1st October 2005, 23:20
One reviewer did say that hardcore fans would wind up like Marvin - very depressed...Fu*ken dead right.
Just finished watching "Galaxy Quest" for some light relief:devil2: Don't feel so nauseous now.

Yer, I'm with you on that one Motu. There are not many movies that make the grade of a well written book they are based on. But not many of them where done as bad as that.

Kickaha
2nd October 2005, 07:45
Fu*ken dead right.
Just finished watching "Galaxy Quest" for some light relief:devil2: Don't feel so nauseous now.

Yer, I'm with you on that one Motu. There are not many movies that make the grade of a well written book they are based on. But not many of them where done as bad as that.

I'm a big fan of the books and quite liked the movie and so did the other book fan I went with, I also thought the character of Marvin was very well done, there's even a appearance from the original Marvin in the movie as well, if you start comparing any movies to the book I think you're always going to be dissapointed as the movie has to pack a lot more in a shorter time frame

I'd recommend people see it themselves and make their own minds up

James Deuce
2nd October 2005, 08:12

Own?? Mind?

I wasn't aware I was allowed possesions or orignal thoughts with a Labour Government in power.

unhingedlizard
2nd October 2005, 09:09
I'm a big fan of the books and quite liked the movie and so did the other book fan I went with, I also thought the character of Marvin was very well done, there's even a appearance from the original Marvin in the movie as well, if you start comparing any movies to the book I think you're always going to be dissapointed as the movie has to pack a lot more in a shorter time frame

I second that. I liked it too.

onearmedbandit
2nd October 2005, 10:04
Saw it on the flight back from Japan, thought it was good.

Ms Piggy
2nd October 2005, 11:24
Own?? Mind?

I wasn't aware I was allowed possesions or orignal thoughts with a Labour Government in power.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! Sorry RIB, I just couldn't resist ;)

Back on topic - yeah the book & original t.v series are far superior but the movie was ok. I was dissapointed with Zaphod Beeblebrox than anyone else.

Qkchk
2nd October 2005, 11:36
Yeah I wasted $13.00 on it when it was @ the movies. Never again. :puke:

Wolf
2nd October 2005, 22:09
I will watch it when it's no longer a new release DVD - when it's on hire for a dollar for a week (from what I've heard it's not likely to wind up in the $5.50 "Highly Recommended" shelves...)

RiderInBlack
3rd October 2005, 06:30
I also thought the character of Marvin was very well done, Are you nuts:Pokey: Marvin was nowhere as depress as the one in the TV series, and they made him too cute for the roll. Zaphod definitely sucked and was painful to watch.

Sniper
3rd October 2005, 07:09
It was OK for me, but only when I wasn't involved in trying to feel up the girl beside me.

Krayy
3rd October 2005, 08:08
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy Movie.
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Who the hell re-wrote this and directed it:bash:...
That would be (the late) Douglas Adams then. He did say in a number of interviews that each of the different media forms that the story has apperared in should be treated as a separate entity and they shouldn't be judged against each other. The books were based on the radio show, and the TV series more the books than the radio show. The movie apparently took pieces from all 3.

I still thought it was crap though, and would rather watch the TV series any day :stupid:

skelstar
3rd October 2005, 08:29
Sorry guys but i enjoyed it. Have read all the books but am not a fanboy so maybe I dont have any strong feelings about how it was treated.

I thought Trillian was nice. Been a Zooey fan for a while anyway :). Was a pity that they decided to include the love story (which I dont think was in any of the other treatments?) but had a feel good ending anyway.

I also thought some of the movie was badly cast: Mos Def=bad, John Malkovich=bad, Sam Rockwell=bad. Thought Bill Nighy was great though :niceone: Martin Freeman also.