PDA

View Full Version : From Russia with love :-)

Dart
2nd October 2005, 13:04
Hi everyone!
Well, just decided to write some words about me...
I came from Russia a month ago to study here, now I'm studying AUT Foundation, than maybe enter AUT, I'm 17 y.o... Live in homestay in Mt.Eden, unfortunately can't live alone when I'm under 18, its 5 month left until my birthday.
Yesterday bought a bike, 92 GN250, and got learner's license. Now learning how to ride!
So, thats all! This site is really good, Forum is even better, so I'll try to join your community!

Here's photo of me and bike (yeasterday evening):
http://www.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/1/839/839575_meandbike.jpg

P.S.: I apologize for my bad english :-(

yungatart
2nd October 2005, 13:06
Welcome. Don't apologise for your English-it's better than a heap I've seen on here!

crashe
2nd October 2005, 13:10
Kia ora and welcome to New Zealand.

Keep on speaking in English and you will do fine.
The more you practise speaking english, the more you will learn.
I am sure that some have already taught you to swear in english as well....lol.

Enjoy riding your bike and take care out there on the roads.

How long are you staying in NZ?
Is it a 6 month course or is it a longer course?

mstriumph
2nd October 2005, 13:44
welcome to the site - enjoy!

--- and your english is great ..... just keep doing what you are doing and DON'T copy the spelling or grammar you find on this forum!! :drinkup:

[unless it's mr HITCHER's spelling/grammar of course ......................]

Hitcher
2nd October 2005, 13:50
P.S.: I apologize for my bad english :-(
Hah! Your English is magnificent. Near-proper use of the apostrophe, fantastic. There are "native" English speakers here who are illiterate by comparison. Note that we say "arse" instead of "ass" and you'll fit in just fine!

mstriumph
2nd October 2005, 13:55
and mr hitcher is ALWAYS watching ....... :Oops:

Dart
2nd October 2005, 14:01
How long are you staying in NZ?
Is it a 6 month course or is it a longer course?

No, its 8-month course, and if I enter AUT after this course - its another 3 years!

NotaGoth
2nd October 2005, 14:20
Is that an Iron Maiden t-shirt I see? O.o Or do I need my eyes checked? lol

Welcome to the site!

I agree, your english is better than some on here. So don't worry about it :)

Dart
2nd October 2005, 14:23
Is that an Iron Maiden t-shirt I see? O.o Or do I need my eyes checked? lol

Yes, it is! You don't like Iron Maiden? :-)

MSTRS
2nd October 2005, 14:24
Nought wrong with your English. But get a haircut. :whistle:

NotaGoth
2nd October 2005, 14:30
Yes, it is! You don't like Iron Maiden? :-)

Never said I didn't like them :p

Coyote
2nd October 2005, 14:46
Don't cut your hair! You'll regret it like I did. Rock on :Punk:

SPman
2nd October 2005, 14:53
and a real job?

Scorpygirl
2nd October 2005, 15:04
Welcome, welcome, welcome Dart. Your English is very good indeed but as Crashe says keep practicing. Enjoy your studies here. Give Rhino and I a PM sometime as we live in Mt Eden too and might be able to catch up with you.

Badcat
2nd October 2005, 15:45
welcome dart - good to have you with us.

ken

Dart
2nd October 2005, 16:00
BTW, have some questions...
1. What is the speed limit in city? A thought it is 50, but when i ride 45 or 50, other vehicles seems to drive much faster? Are they breaking rules or I don't understand anything? And what should I do then - ride on my speed, 50 kmh, or try to ride at the same speed with flow?

The second - If i need to go to any kind of supermarket, can I leave bike on supermarket carpark? If yes - where, the same place where cars are left?

The next question - where its better to buy inexpensive and good bike boots (in Auckland)?

Thanks in advance for answers =)

Dart
2nd October 2005, 16:15
Oh, and another question. I feel like idiot, but I know that my bike has 2 litres reserve fuel tank. But I don't know how to change from main tank to reserve, if my main tank will become empty. Can you tell, how?

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 16:29
1. What is the speed limit in city? A thought it is 50, but when i ride 45 or 50, other vehicles seems to drive much faster? Are they breaking rules or I don't understand anything? And what should I do then - ride on my speed, 50 kmh, or try to ride at the same speed with flow?
It is 50, depending where in the city, it might be 60 or whatever, normally there are speed boards. Yes, a lot of vehicles add 8-9k onto the limit. 10 and over and the cops will pull you for speeding, so a lot of people do their best :laugh:

Up to you on your speed, but if you are in the fast lane, don't hold up the traffic, the cars behind will not be happy, if you are in the slow lane, then feel fine to travel at 50, I've come across cars who like to do 40. Pisses me off no end, but I'll pass them when I get the chance.

The second - If i need to go to any kind of supermarket, can I leave bike on supermarket carpark? If yes - where, the same place where cars are left?
Some supermarkets have dedicated areas for bikes, those are best obviously, you can take car parks, sometimes I do, cars seem to not like it, but then they park in our spaces as well :argh:

The next question - where its better to buy inexpensive and good bike boots (in Auckland)?
good is not equal to cheap. Best is to visit all the bike shops, compare comfort, features and price, then buy something you like. Motomail seems to have pretty good prices. Crashe had a good post of stores (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=352693&postcount=5)

Finally, for reserve, I don't know the gn at all, but most bikes have the tap on the left hand side of the bike, with a dial with options like on, off, reserve, prime

* edit: Welcome to KB, your English is far better than some here :niceone:

MSTRS
2nd October 2005, 16:30
Oh, and another question. I feel like idiot, but I know that my bike has 2 litres reserve fuel tank. But I don't know how to change from main tank to reserve, if my main tank will become empty. Can you tell, how?
The fuel tap (left side, under the tank) should have a rotatable 'lever'. Generally, it has 3 positions - pointing down = main tank, pointing forwards = off, pointing up = reserve. Best check this to confirm, body of tap is usually marked with the three positions as above.

onearmedbandit
2nd October 2005, 16:33
There will be a fuel switch by the bottom of your fuel tank that allows you to change from 'main' to 'reserve'. How will you know you know if your main tank becomes empty? You'll know. (Lack of power, spluttering). Just remember when you fill up to switch back to the 'main' setting otherwise next time you run out, you'll be pushing it to the garage.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site. Enjoying NZ so far? Differences between here and home??

Dart
2nd October 2005, 16:35
And how to put fuel into reserve tank? Or when I put fuel in main tank it automatically goes into reserve?

And about lines... If there is only one common line and one bus line? Where I should ride on 50 kmh?

Dart
2nd October 2005, 16:38
Enjoying NZ so far? Differences between here and home??

Yeah, it is very good country :-)
Differences? Language.. Weather.. And here people are more friendly...

SuperDave
2nd October 2005, 16:40
And how to put fuel into reserve tank? Or when I put fuel in main tank it automatically goes into reserve?

The reserve and main tank are all within the same tank. The tank just has different fuel hoses with the reserve hose obviously being attached at a lower level than the normal fuel hose.

Welcome to NZ and to the biking community.

MSTRS
2nd October 2005, 16:46

And about lines... If there is only one common line and one bus line? Where I should ride on 50 kmh?
Simply described - inside the tank is a tube with a hole near the bottom, main tank draws petrol throught the top of the tube until the level in the tank drops to the height of the tube, then you need to change the tap position which lets the petrol flow through the hole at the base of the tube. Tank is one space only, not seperate for main & reserve.
Guess by lines you mean 'lanes' - if you are unsure then stay in the car lanes. Motorcyclists can use buslanes in some places but not others (just to help confuse you)

Dart
2nd October 2005, 16:53
Yeah, I mean lanes of course. Sorry... Ok, now its clear. Thanks! =)

Dart
2nd October 2005, 17:01
btw, and where its possible to get kiwibiker stickers? only ordering online?

crashe
2nd October 2005, 17:06
btw, and where its possible to get kiwibiker stickers? only ordering online?

Go to "On site" section here on KB and there is a thread about the stickers and also the patches...
or PM SpankMe as he get them in.

Scorpygirl
2nd October 2005, 17:18
Hi Dart

These are very good questions for a Noob rider and Noob to NZ. Good on you for asking and don't be scared to keep on asking. If you can find a motocycle parking area that's the best place to park. The best advice that you will always see on the KB site is to treat everybody in a cage (car) as an idiot that can't see you. Keep your eyes and ears all around you.

Hope to catch up with you sometime.

Dart
2nd October 2005, 17:22
Hi Dart

These are very good questions for a Noob rider and Noob to NZ. Good on you for asking and don't be scared to keep on asking. If you can find a motocycle parking area that's the best place to park. The best advice that you will always see on the KB site is to treat everybody in a cage (car) as an idiot that can't see you. Keep your eyes and ears all around you.

Hope to catch up with you sometime.

Yeah, I know, that motorcycle parking is the best place, but if there is no such place - can I park on carpark without any troubles?

onearmedbandit
2nd October 2005, 17:53
Yeah, I know, that motorcycle parking is the best place, but if there is no such place - can I park on carpark without any troubles?

Yes, you can park in a carpark without any trouble. Some car drivers get pissed off because they think they can see an empty park only to find a bike that moments ago was obscured from vision taking the spot.

Dart
2nd October 2005, 18:54
And when buying a motorcycle boots, what to care about? (not sure how to say it English).. I mean, how to choose good boots?

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 19:03
You mean what features you should look for?? The following is from ?Vifferman? courtesy of another post he made a while back (I'm also looking)

* Non-slip sole (rubber, rather than plastic that dissolves when walking in spilt petrol on service station forecourts).
* Waterproofing of some sort.
* Warmth / padding.
* Heel, toe, shin, and ankle protection (usually via plastic inserts / cups between the outer boot and lining).
* Protector on top of the boot to stop the gearlever eating the boot.
* Firm closure/fastening of some sort, to stop the boots coming off if you crash.
* Reasonably good construction, to stop them coming apart through normal use or in a crash. (Sidis are usually very good, whereas as some AlpineStars' soles come away from the boot very readily).
* Good fit (more to do with size than manufacture).
* Comfort (on the bike at least, although being able to walk in them is a bonus).
* If it's a sport boot, replaceable sliders.
* Reflectors.
* Style (for posing).

Dart
2nd October 2005, 19:20
Well... And if to buy boots, not special for bike, but also suitable to ride in them, where to look for it and how to choose?

Scorpygirl
2nd October 2005, 19:27
Well... And if to buy boots, not special for bike, but also suitable to ride in them, where to look for it and how to choose?

Got mine from MotoMail. Smallest pair of boots I have seen around - cool :niceone:

Dart
2nd October 2005, 19:31
What is MotoMail?

Macktheknife
2nd October 2005, 19:38
Hi Dart, welcome to the site and NZ. One of the good places to look at boots is Motomail as previously mentioned, another good place is Cycletreads in Barry's Point Road, Takapuna, Good range and friendly staff.You could try Colemans Suzuki or Mt Eden Motorcycles, which are both a bit closer to home for you. Choosing the right boot is often a matter of taste and style, army boots are good for anything and can be found in Doyles shops, there is one in the city.
Your english is going great, well done, coming to a strange country and learning a new language is a difficult task, good for you.

Macktheknife
2nd October 2005, 19:42
What is MotoMail?
Motomail is the name of a store in Kingsland, not too far from Mt Eden. You can find them on the web http://www.motomail.co.nz/
or look them up in the phonebook.

Korumba
2nd October 2005, 19:53
Anyone else feel a PT here….?

If its all good...Welcome to New Zealand and did you meet Ewan McGreggor ?

Dart
2nd October 2005, 21:17
Another question...
As far as I understand, there are two mileage indicators (odometers). One is constant, and it indicates the total mileage, and the second can be reset. But how to reset it?

Here is photo of indicators:
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=6397832&S=ISS

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 21:23
There will be a button on the dash that you would push. Bikes might differ tho, like mine has to resetable mileages.

Same as cars mate.

Korumba
2nd October 2005, 21:30
Man! that bikes well run in..You can rap the shit out of it now!

Sniper
3rd October 2005, 07:44
A belated welcome from me.

crashe
3rd October 2005, 11:11
Another question...
As far as I understand, there are two mileage indicators (odometers). One is constant, and it indicates the total mileage, and the second can be reset. But how to reset it?

Here is photo of indicators:
http://tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=6397832&S=ISS

See the little black knob sticking out on the left side of the speedo...
that is what you turn to reset it.
When you refuel up with petrol, then turn it (upwards) so that all the numbers are all at 000000. Then you can see how many kms you will get to a tank of fuel.

Jabez
3rd October 2005, 15:24
Welcome....:)

Dart
3rd October 2005, 15:27
Damn!
Was today in Colemans Suzuki, Mt.Eden Motorcycles and Haldanes Suzuki. The pants are very expensive... Where its possible to get it cheaper? Just good leather or something like this pants, without any features?

Gremlin
3rd October 2005, 18:11
The features are kinda what you want, otherwise you may as well just wear jeans.

If riding in winter, waterproof is handy, and armour is useful in all weather.

AMPS (on Khyber Pass Rd) has leather pants with armour I think...

Dart
7th October 2005, 09:45
Guys, another question.
Is the ban for learner's to ride between 10pm and 5am strick or not? Cops care about it?

MSTRS
7th October 2005, 09:52
Guys, another question.
Is the ban for learner's to ride between 10pm and 5am strick or not? Cops care about it?
Only if you get caught. :blip:

Dart
7th October 2005, 16:33
Heh!
No, I mean, a concert in club finishes at 2-3 a.m.
So do I have to wait until 5 am to go home or not?

crashe
7th October 2005, 16:38
Heh!
No, I mean, a concert in club finishes at 2-3 a.m.
So do I have to wait until 5 am to go home or not?

Mate you live in Mt Eden....
That is really close to the city to catch a taxi home... or even walk home.

You are young and your Home stay people let you stay out all night?
WOW... thats a new one.... how do you get away with that?

Dart
7th October 2005, 19:24
My parents allow me, so I don't care about opinion of homestay.

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 11:28
welcome to the site, enjoy, please leave it as you found it and watch out for the trolls. BTW do you know any nice Russian girls that are single?

badlieutenant
3rd November 2005, 17:12
welcome dart :D
the button off to the left of your dash will resest your odometer. I think you push it but it might be a twist job. A gn rider can probably tell you..........I did have one round here somewhere..........

avgas
3rd November 2005, 17:18
Hej, good to see some more culture here.
:headbang: