PDA

View Full Version : Sad, but no waves from a bunch of riders

fishb8nz
2nd October 2005, 18:23
Ok, so I'm on a GN125 - that doesn't make me a leper, just a motorcycyclist with a small bike.
Riding home after a nightshift from Huntly to Hamilton, I came across a bunch of guys heading North at Horotiu about 07.15. Waved to the lot of them but never got acknowledged by ANY of them. What's with that? No curtesy bestowed to a GN125 - too good are you - never rode a small bike?

ZorsT
2nd October 2005, 18:40
I wave.

I wave to scooters even.

Get a wave back once out of every two waves usually

Magua
2nd October 2005, 18:41
Happens every now and then, I got plenty of nods while on my old GN.

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 18:52
Sometimes in a group, you figure that the poor rider couldn't wave to the lot of you, also, you reckon that enough of you have waved as well...

Also, depending on the roads, they may have been "busy"

But I try to wave as oft as possible.

Motu
2nd October 2005, 18:59
If this is a major problem for you....I wish you luck in the rest of your life,you'll need it.

fishb8nz
2nd October 2005, 20:00
Sorry Motu but that's just bad ettiquete. I can live without it but don't complain when it's not happening.
Just see a differential attitude between bikers - we're all on 2 wheels, right? So what makes someone so superior that thay won't acknowledge another biker. You have no idea who or what that person is - why dismiss them.

When I go for a walk along the river in Hamilton (best river walk in NZ) almost everyone says hello. Go for a walk in Auckland and it's hard to make eye contact with anyone. Too many people up themselves to bother about other people. Didn't expect such a disrespectful attitude from other bikers.
That saddens me but Iv'e had far worse things happen to me in my life to spit the dummy and such ignorance is less than a sandfly on the ankle.
Look at yourself, first.

Macktheknife
2nd October 2005, 20:15
I remember when you could hardly keep both hands on the bars for all the guys waving out to each other, it's not like that anymore I know but every once in a while I get heaps of friendly waves and nods. I took a mate from the UK out on the back one day and he commented on how friendly everyone was to us all day, *sigh* nostalgia*
Still its just good to still be out there riding, before some bastard in government taxes bikes out of existence.

zadok
2nd October 2005, 20:18
I tend to go more for the nod. Get some responses.

heavenly.talker
2nd October 2005, 20:21
I have always found everyone really friendly...especially if I wave or nod first :niceone: :niceone:

gamgee
2nd October 2005, 20:25
Ok, so I'm on a GN125 - that doesn't make me a leper, just a motorcycyclist with a small bike.
Riding home after a nightshift from Huntly to Hamilton, I came across a bunch of guys heading North at Horotiu about 07.15. Waved to the lot of them but never got acknowledged by ANY of them. What's with that? No curtesy bestowed to a GN125 - too good are you - never rode a small bike?
they probably thought you were a harley rider, and we all know how often they wave :spudwave: :dodge:

Monsterbishi
2nd October 2005, 20:30
Had a good chat with a guy on a little 100cc Suzuki, usuall traffic light convo, poor guy almost fell off his bike when I mentioned the $25 of fuel I'd just put in the bike :-)

I'll nod at anything with two wheels and a motor, I reserve waving for kids on pushies who wave with that "Bikes are cool" beaming smile when you rumble/scream past.

Motu
2nd October 2005, 20:50
Sorry Motu but that's just bad ettiquete. I can live without it but don't complain when it's not happening.
Just see a differential attitude between bikers - we're all on 2 wheels, right? So what makes someone so superior that thay won't acknowledge another biker. You have no idea who or what that person is - why dismiss them.

When I go for a walk along the river in Hamilton (best river walk in NZ) almost everyone says hello. Go for a walk in Auckland and it's hard to make eye contact with anyone. Too many people up themselves to bother about other people. Didn't expect such a disrespectful attitude from other bikers.
That saddens me but Iv'e had far worse things happen to me in my life to spit the dummy and such ignorance is less than a sandfly on the ankle.
Look at yourself, first.

What the fuck makes you think EVERYONE on a bike HAS to wave to YOU? I'm riding my bike,I don't care what you are doing,if you wave to me I may wave back,maybe not,sometimes I may wave to someone else - but it doen't HAVE to happen.Why don't you just ride your bike and enjoy it,and let others do the same without judging them by your standards.

Waylander
2nd October 2005, 21:05
Tell ya what mate, If I happen to see ya I'll wave. The only time I don't wave to a biker is when I don't see them in time. (BTW I don't consider you a biker if you are wearing a singlet, track pants and tennis shoes, that is why I did not wave to you Mr.cbr250 rider riding behind me on Victoria street. Don't give a fuck if you thought I was a jerk and flipped me off. Respect the road then you will be a biker.)

Motu
2nd October 2005, 21:16
Judgements,judgements,judgements - everyone is God....is there no room for Angels?

Jackrat
2nd October 2005, 21:30
Judgements,judgements,judgements - everyone is God....is there no room for Angels?

That's what I ment in the other thread mate.
It's all about THEM,an if you don't tow THEIR line your not a good person,or you don't get riding,or your a snob,or you should look at yourself,or your not a real biker.
These control freaks probably go to the dunny in pairs as well.

Motu
2nd October 2005, 21:41
Yeah,I've been getting real pissed off at all the judgmental posts lately - You're an idiot if you wear an open face helmet,don't wear full race leathers,ride a scooter,ride a Harley...whatever.it seems if your aren't doing what these twerps think you should be doing then what the hell are you doing on a bike.They're young I guess...perhaps I should bite my tongue and let them grow up - but I feel a bit sad with the attitudes.

oldrider
2nd October 2005, 22:18
I think we grew up waving and all that, because there were so few people on the roads in cars, let alone motorbikes. It was always such a surprise to find another vehicle on some of the more isolated stretches of road. (Usually gravel as well) Motorcyclists were more inclined to be solitary creatures, not riding in big groups like they do today.
Everybody waves to each other on the South Islands West coast. Just like the old days up North. Waving is certainly a dieing art the further North you go. I also think early Harley Riders have to take a fair bit of blame for the surly attitude but they are changing nowadays. I don't care whether or not the wave is returned. I wave because I set my own standards and I am saying hello to a fellow biker. :spudwave: Cheers John.

Ixion
2nd October 2005, 22:30
I wave (or nod) to everything on two or three wheels with an engine. And to Morgans or YA MGs or pre BMC Rileys. (just cos). And to penny farthing bicycles. And to anybody with a dog in the passenger seat (though that's really to the dog, cos they love it so much).

Don't care if they don't wave back, but it's a bit sad when it even has to be debated.

'Tis what you do. 'Tis the Biker Law and the Unwritten Gospel.

Biker sum, bikeorum nil a me alienum puto. (Sorry Terry )

Motu
2nd October 2005, 23:27
I spent 10 yrs living on Waiheke Island,before it became a Yuppy suburb of Auckland City,it was a small community and everyone knew everyone,even if just by sight.Waving was a part of life,the only people who didn't wave were tourists,and they often waved to join in the game.I don't wave to people I don't know.

The person on the bike you just waved to may be a paedofile riding away from his last victim....not far away a child lies sobbing on the floor - oh,but of course a lowlife like that would be on a Harley and wouldn't wave anyway.....or he could be on a scooter and you wouldn't wave at him.

And me.....I just don't care at all.....

the last line in Lou Reed drawl please....

KATWYN
3rd October 2005, 07:09
The person on the bike you just waved to may be a paedofile riding away from his last victim....not far away a child lies sobbing on the floor - ....

Hmmm good point. I've never thought about it like that.

Thats it, from now on there will be no more waves, nods or smiles to others from me when i'm on a bike or walking in the street or anywhere else I happen to be for the rest of my life.

Signed: new cynic

Motu
3rd October 2005, 09:17
you will need to develope a scowl,if you have led a shelterd life this could be a challenge - I give lessons...

oldrider
3rd October 2005, 09:30
I only know you from this forum Motu but your response to this item seems inconsistent with all your other sage utterances. It seems like you are attempting to justify your initial stance at the expense of your credibility. Press delete and return to go. I like the other Motu. Cheers John.

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 09:41

The children, what about the children, will somebody PLEASE think of the children.....

Motu
3rd October 2005, 10:02
I only know you from this forum Motu but your response to this item seems inconsistent with all your other sage utterances. It seems like you are attempting to justify your initial stance at the expense of your credibility. Press delete and return to go. I like the other Motu. Cheers John.

I try for consistancy - it seems my main function on this site is to give a counter view to others biased opinions,I think if you look at my near 5000 posts the Devils Advocate stand will be pretty obvious...sometimes I don't even believe in what I'm trying to put across,but feel very strongly that the other side in all arguments needs to be put forward...If others think less of me for that I don't really care,what they need to see is that there is always another point of view.

zadok
3rd October 2005, 10:13
I don't care whether or not the wave is returned. I wave because I set my own standards and I am saying hello to a fellow biker. :spudwave: Cheers John.
Hear, hear. Well said. :niceone:

Charlie
3rd October 2005, 10:41
Agree there is always two sides to a coin and everyone is entitled to an opinion. Trick is to be open minded enough to respect and listen to other people views and thoughts, they may know a thing or to... and they may not.
Often people have a passionate view but over time its not the guts of it they truely stand for - its just they've spent so much heart and so long promoting it they can't face going back on what they've stood for.
Also opinions are just that... and they come on a take it or leave it basis. They are entitled to theirs and you yours. Dont be offended (as hard as it sometime is) if they are strongly opposite.

But before you attack someones opinion (or defend your own); ask, is it the view point you dont agree with or just that its not the same as yours?

And on that note - some people will wave and some people wil not.
Do which ever you do and dont be dampened or changed by what others do or say! :whocares:

Sniper
3rd October 2005, 10:46
I wave to cars when Im on a long journey in my car. Should I get all upset when they don't wave back?

There are a million reasons why I biker didn't wave. I for one wouldn't want to wave to someone on a GN125 after my run in with one. Its just a pity that other arseholes stereotype ya, but hey, it happens.

oldrider
3rd October 2005, 12:14
I try for consistancy - it seems my main function on this site is to give a counter view to others biased opinions,I think if you look at my near 5000 posts the Devils Advocate stand will be pretty obvious...sometimes I don't even believe in what I'm trying to put across,but feel very strongly that the other side in all arguments needs to be put forward...If others think less of me for that I don't really care,what they need to see is that there is always another point of view.
Fair enough Motu I take your point. I don't see that waving is compulsory either.
Freedom to choose is paramount. Like I said, I choose to wave. :spudwave: Cheers John.

2wheels in Red Beach
3rd October 2005, 20:44
I wave/nod to everything and anything on two wheels some times i get a wave/nod back sometimes I don't, It does make you feel part of a group when you do get one back. I love how friendly the kiwi's are in general. coming from east london it's a pleasant change I can tell ya.

fishb8nz
4th October 2005, 09:26
Jaarpieland or like Bow Bells?

Sniper
4th October 2005, 09:32
You need to get your facts right. East london is no where near Jaarpie-Land, thats the Transvaal. :whistle:

WRT
4th October 2005, 09:45
Personnally, I wave at pretty much all bikers (assuming I see them in time and that its safe to do so). One thing I have noticed is that dirt riders are worse at waving back that road riders - you are VERY lucky to get a wave back from someone on a dirt bike. But, its all good. As far as I am concerned, its just a courtesy thing. Fellow riders and all that. I dont cry tho if I dont get a wave back . . .

Dunno if it has any bearing on it, but when in the car, I am also one of the few people that actually waves when another driver lets me into their lane, or pulls over to let me past. And when I let someone into my lane, I expect a wave. If I dont get acknowledgement, I do my best to remember their car so next time I wont let them in . . . that is just something that irkes me. If you dont get into the whole "brother/sister rider" thing, thats cool, but if you dont say thanks when someone does you a favour, thats a whole other issue.

I grew up on Great Barrier Island, and over there you know everyone and you wave to everyone. Becomes force of habit over winter, so when summer arrives you quite often wind up waving to the tourists too - but they love it and quite often get in on the act too. And good on them I say, anything that boosts a sense of community has to be a good thing . . .

Having said all that, I am also one of the (seemingly few these days) people who will wave to someone who let me into a lane.

Motu
4th October 2005, 10:33
One thing I have noticed is that dirt riders are worse at waving back that road riders - you are VERY lucky to get a wave back from someone on a dirt bike.

:slap: :eek5: I ride a dirt bike and I NEVER get waves from sportsbike riders!! You may not of been here long enough to see me go on and on about it,but it's like they think you are a farmer or something (I wave to all farmers) I've gone past a line of 10 sporstbike riders with my arm in the air and the tinted visors just watched me go past.Just helps in the confirmation that all sportsbike riders are total wankers.

WRT
4th October 2005, 10:52
:slap: :eek5: I ride a dirt bike and I NEVER get waves from sportsbike riders!! You may not of been here long enough to see me go on and on about it,but it's like they think you are a farmer or something (I wave to all farmers) I've gone past a line of 10 sporstbike riders with my arm in the air and the tinted visors just watched me go past.Just helps in the confirmation that all sportsbike riders are total wankers.

Actually I was referring to off road, rather than on road. Tried to avoid the use of the term "MX" as the thought of a bunch of guys racing round a track all trying to wave at eachother just cracks me up.

When at the bike park, I will wave at guys pulling up in their wagons with bikes on the back, if stopped on the side of a trail taking a breather, I will wave at the riders going past, and so on.

And when on the road, I wave at pretty much everyone (including dirt bike riders, or even guys in utes with dirt bikes on the back - I aint fussy!), but get the most waves back from others on sports bikes. BTW - I also only tend to wave at people that I see looking at me, so that rules out most scooters . . .

But, its just me being friendly . . . and trying to keep alive the "community spirit" I was talking about earlier. I mean, look at us all in here, every type and make of bike imaginable, different walks of life etc, and we all (for the most part) get along well, laugh and joke and take the piss. Why should it be any different when we are "off-line" and out riding instead?

Give 'em a wave - that's your brother (sister) out there!

metric
5th October 2005, 22:17
Dunno if it has any bearing on it, but when in the car, I am also one of the few people that actually waves when another driver lets me into their lane, or pulls over to let me past. And when I let someone into my lane, I expect a wave. If I dont get acknowledgement, I do my best to remember their car so next time I wont let them in . . . that is just something that irkes me. If you dont get into the whole "brother/sister rider" thing, thats cool, but if you dont say thanks when someone does you a favour, thats a whole other issue.
...as you can tell from my copious amounts of posting, I'm a n00bie rider... but I totally agree with waving to let others in, and expecting some kind of acknowledgement...

..and for the record, I'll be nodding to every rider I see

2wheels in Red Beach
6th October 2005, 18:39
Bow Bells, Born in Shorditch......My missus is from south Africa. is that where you are from??

Waylander
6th October 2005, 18:43
Waved to some bloke on a GN125 on my way home from work around 5pm. I was headed out to Ruakura Rd and was crossing the intersection at the light. GN125 was waiting at the lights on my right. Wasn't you by chance was it fishb8nz?

Brett
6th October 2005, 19:23
I wave if my riding style at the time allows.Low in a corner at speed??? I dont think so buddy.
Hell man i wave at anything :weird: however i dont care if someone dont wave back...much eaier to make it their attitude problem than mine.
Over.

Brett
6th October 2005, 19:26
You need to get your facts right. East london is no where near Jaarpie-Land, thats the Transvaal. :whistle:

Amen and go the transvaal. I however am a Jo'burg boy...

you dont wave in jo burg...ur too busy dodging fockers trying to hijack you. :Pokey:

fishb8nz
7th October 2005, 07:13
I used the Term Jaarpie as a cover for all South Africans, like Pom for English, whereas I'm a Scouse Git, not a Pom.

Waylander - thanks for the wave but I was cooking a Thai curry at home in Pukete. I have a Givi screen and top box on my GN.

My car's rego is FISHB8, a blue RAV4.

2wheels in Red Beach
8th October 2005, 10:12
Is there anyone out there who has the green mohawk attached to there helmet or know who he is. He waves even going low into a corner.

Sniper
8th October 2005, 11:14
Amen and go the transvaal. I however am a Jo'burg boy...

you dont wave in jo burg...ur too busy dodging fockers trying to hijack you. :Pokey:

Lol, reminds me of Leon Schuster and his take on "Hi-Jack!" , "Nee ek is ou Leon"

SlowHand
9th October 2005, 22:31
let's get technical, when do you wave, just as you pass or as soon as you see them, what if you time it wrong, what are the consequences?

I remember the very first time I waved, doing a hundy or so, stick hand up in the air and hello! the wind is strong in this one...

Which reminds me, does anyone do the flying hand through air thing while riding? :lol:

Dodgy1
27th October 2005, 20:27
I will wave to any other motorcyclist I see......doesn't matter what they ridin....

John
27th October 2005, 20:32
fuck thats some wise shit there.

Cibby
30th October 2005, 01:23

i waved at a dirt bike the other day.

Yep

True Story

Cibby
30th October 2005, 01:24

i waved at a dirt bike the other day.

Yep

True Story

Being female and a sportsbike rider... is it possible for me to be a wanker????

Indiana_Jones
30th October 2005, 01:26
today, I pulled upto some guy on a kawa i think it was, at the lights on that road going from taka to link drive :)

-Indy

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:18
today, I pulled upto some guy on a kawa i think it was, at the lights on that road going from taka to link drive :)

-Indy

Well what the fark has that go to do wtih anything??

huh??

Aye???

SPORK
30th October 2005, 02:26
Well what the fark has that go to do wtih anything??

huh??

Aye???
Don't worry, he's on medicinal marijuania. The doctors say it's to stop him from building a time machine to take him "back to 1986!"

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:28
Don't worry, he's on medicinal marijuania. The doctors say it's to stop him from building a time machine to take him "back to 1986!"

me thinks me needs somes of that medicinal stuff.... oh yeah.....

either that or..

TO THE PUB FOR A SMIRNOFF DOUBLE BLACK

Mattyc
30th October 2005, 14:18
i wave an nod at everyone, if i can, apart from scooters - sorry scooters but i dont class you as a real motorbike :P - get a clutch and some gears

if i am low in a corner i will nod.
I was out west today and there were a lot of bikers on the way and on the way back, at one stage i was on my mates blue hyosung gt650r when i picked it up from him buying it, then i got back onto my trusty zx9r once i got to his place in st lukes - A lot of ya didnt wave ! :mellow:

White trash
30th October 2005, 17:36
I don't give a shit if you're riding a silver Gixxer 1K wearing the same leathers as me, just because you're riding a bike doesn't mean I like you. Why wave? I'll religiously signal any biker of a cop ahead.

What? You guys all wave at cars when you're driving the cage?

Unit
30th October 2005, 17:47

Small bike, big bike, ugly bike, what the hell was that? bike, people need to get over themselves. I wave to everyone. Sometimes wonder why and wonder if Im coming across as a real dick, but hey, Im a friendly type and just happy to see people out there riding. Dont get caught up in small bike syndrome, just pass them off as either a rude bastard (or bitch) and keep waving, if only to anoy them :whocares:

Mattyc
30th October 2005, 20:56
ok but are you saying wave at scooters ? :stupid:

rudolph
30th October 2005, 21:03
People who ride HDs or BMWs are the the ones who seem not to wave or nod back, they think they are on a higher plane

Ixion
30th October 2005, 21:08
Not so I wave to everyone - including scooters. Der Uberfarter will even fart in your direction as a sign of good will (odd volk, the Germans).

Of course, waving when I'm on Petal is sometimes a wasted effort since noone can see it through the smoke.

Buster
30th October 2005, 21:11
Rode back from cooks beach (coromandel) today and got waves from every biker or group we came accross. Im getting into riding after a 3 year absence and recon the wave or 'nod' is stronger than ever!! :spudwave: That was me on the gsx250 being chased by vtr250 by the way.

Mattyc
30th October 2005, 21:12
People who ride HDs or BMWs are the the ones who seem not to wave or nod back, they think they are on a higher plane

Yeah ive noticed this as well. one time a few weeks ago i was at the lights and a patched up member pulled up on a nice HD next to me and looked over, gave me the nod, then we left the lights at teh same pace together.was not the norm as they usually discriminate against japas.

Swoop
1st November 2005, 11:22
After getting back on 2 wheels after a layoff of a couple of decades... (GULP - was it THAT long ago!) it has been an absolute pleasure to see the friendship of the bikers with waves and nods, etc. I have been on 2 pedal powered wheels and there is the same feeling - but you get the chance to say "hi there" when passing, and everyone seems to do that. A wave costs you nothing - you'll see me waving! :spudwave:

oldrider
3rd November 2005, 13:40
Riding over to Haast after Labour W/E PaulinNZ and I remarked to each other just how mant H/D's we passed and all of them waved. The same thing on the way home and since.
Someone/something has smiled on H/D riders and it has obviously worked. :spudwave: Nice to see. Cheers John.

fishb8nz
12th November 2005, 15:46
On my way to work, from Hamilton to Huntly, at 06.20, a guy on a cruiser, actually slowed down as he passed and gave a big, horizontal arm wave. Probably felt sorry for me, but hey, good stuff.
Sad about that dead rider in Auckland.

pritch
17th November 2005, 16:11
Yeah,I've been getting real pissed off at all the judgmental posts lately -.

Too true, sorta like the Stones said waaaay back in "Satisfaction".
"He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me."

Not a sign of a great intellect at work. And I would never say anything like that. Except maybe about Vee twins :-)

Sketchy_Racer
18th November 2005, 18:40
for me i dont care what you are riding ill wave to people cause i hope it makes them feel "included" and ill always wave back cause if they are nice enough to wave to me then i am nice enough to wave back and its not like its gonna kill you to lift your arm and make someone else happy, is it???

just my 2cents

Glenn

Ivan
18th November 2005, 18:42
it could do if a you lift it and out of no were comes a truck and hits you

heavenly.talker
18th November 2005, 21:13
for me i dont care what you are riding ill wave to people cause i hope it makes them feel "included" and ill always wave back cause if they are nice enough to wave to me then i am nice enough to wave back and its not like its gonna kill you to lift your arm and make someone else happy, is it???

just my 2cents

Glenn

Me too...I'm a confirmed waver, I always get a thrill to see other bikers on the road and like to wave or nod the helmet. Don't mind if they don't acknowledge but love it when they do.
I was stuck on the side of the road the other day (in a rest bay) and lots of bike went by tooting and waving as they did...what a great community it is :yes:

rabbitintheheadlight
18th November 2005, 22:00
I just got my bike on Monday and I got my first nod on Wednesday evening, practicing riding around my hood, first time I've ever encountered another biker. Have to say it was a nice feeling, to feel included, so soon, on my little 150. Though I wouldn't have felt terrible if the person didn't nod. Sometimes people don't see you soon enough, or maybe they're just not ready for a nod / wave right now. You just have to be understanding.

So anyway, when I got home and told my sister "I'm a 'real' biker now, I got an exclusive biker nod" - she was jealous. So she's booked a lesson with JP Wright.

:rockon:

Ixion
18th November 2005, 22:55
Welcome- ANOTHER IT bod!

Xtat1k
22nd November 2005, 20:03
depends on how fast im going at the time but at least a nod lol.

pritch
22nd November 2005, 20:12
I was wondering if the weather had an effect on this waving business...

I rode down to Upper Hutt Saturday via the Paekak Hill road. Came home Sunday via the Rimutakas and the Pahiatua Track. Most riders encountered waved (or waved back). A couple of sprot bike riders surprised me by waving with bare hands, but at least they did wave.

Biff
5th December 2005, 11:49
Works both ways mate. I wave/nod at pretty much everyone. I can't say I've ever had a wave/nod back from a rider of a 'smaller engined' motormacycle.

stunz
5th December 2005, 11:56
i was riding down the esplanade and waved at a fellow biker going the other way. He popped a wheelie in response. :2thumbsup I'm gonna do that from now on. (Except to scooters and police bikes)

Monsterbishi
5th December 2005, 11:58
I'm thinking of getting myself one of those big rubber pointy finger things you see at the American football games, I've nodded to pretty much everything motorised on 2 wheels in the last couple of months, and barely a twitch in reply.

How things change over the years, I remember about 10 years ago when I was travelling from Christchurch to Blenheim on my trusty wee CB250RS, and a veritable stampede of Black leather clad gang-ish harleys rolled the other way, would have been well over 50 of them, with my one little wave it caused a motorcycle style mexican wave effect, most impressive.

Monsterbishi
5th December 2005, 11:59
i was riding down the esplanade and waved at a fellow biker going the other way. He popped a wheelie in response. :2thumbsup I'm gonna do that from now on. (Except to scooters and police bikes)

The wheelie or the wave :-)

Even scooters deserve a wave, we all started there.

stunz
5th December 2005, 12:01
Works both ways mate. I wave/nod at pretty much everyone. I can't say I've ever had a wave/nod back from a rider of a 'smaller engined' motormacycle.especially scooter riders. A group unto themselves. Too busy keeping their skirts from blowing around in the breeze is what I say :yes: All they do in acknowledgement for me is bump my mirrors out of alignment when i park up in town. Maroons. I have officially given up on waving to scooter riders. (Unless there is indeed a skirt blowing around in the breeze...:chase: )

stunz
5th December 2005, 12:04
The wheelie or the wave :-)the wave. as if I'd do a wheelie on the main road...

Highlander
6th December 2005, 22:53
I was riding home after night shift one morning and there was a girl on a Scooter coming the other way. She was waving like we were boats a hundred meters apart. I thought some thing was wrong and she was trying to get my attention until I saw the grin from ear to ear. Just about lost it when I started laughing so hard.

:wavey: :scooter: :spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave:

Jantar
6th December 2005, 23:04
I was riding home after night shift one morning and there was a girl on a Scooter coming the other way. She was waving like we were boats a hundred meters apart. I thought some thing was wrong and she was trying to get my attention until I saw the grin from ear to ear. Just about lost it when I started laughing so hard.

:wavey: :scooter: :spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave:

Funny that. I noticed that the riders in the Tauranga area did tend to wave more than most other North Islanders. In fact there was one young lady on a 50 cc step thru :scooter: who was riding along next to us and waving. I think she was thrilled to be keeping up with a 1200 (even if was in a 50 kmh area) :spudwave:

Qman
17th December 2005, 21:13
Rode back from AK to Hami on Thursday night, got a wave or a nod from each bike i came across, even a HD.
Its good to be back on two wheels.

Marmoot
18th December 2005, 00:46
Just turn around and follow the bikers that don't wave back at you.
When he stops, come up to him and say "you're on a bike, I'm on a bike. We're similar and are in ONE community, you feckin wanker! Wave to me next time you see me, and don't you dare ignoring me coz we are friends! Respect my Authority....blah, blah blah....If you don't wave to other bike then go feck off and get a cage. Coz, if you are on the bike then you MUST wave to other bikers." :finger:

We need to spread this waving culture around. Those who don't wave needs to be marginalized as much as possible and made repentant.

Know what? If this campaign is successful, we should try it as well at smokers, drinkers, prostitutes, etc. This might be the groundbreaking Chicken-Conformist method that the world so needs. :innocent:

I only wave to nice shiny big bike. The last time I check this is still a free country

John
18th December 2005, 15:29
I only wave to real bikes... (kawasaki).

Sniper
18th December 2005, 16:02
I only wave to real bikes... (kawasaki).

:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :laugh: :laugh:

R1madness
19th December 2005, 09:08
Well i wave to everyone on a bike :2thumbsup . Who cares if they dont wave back :bleh: . Thats their problem :yes: . I even wave to old farts on dirt bikes like MOTU :wavey: dispite the fact i am a sportbike riding wanker :tugger: eh......
Oh yea i stop to help crashed/broken down bikes/riders as well (yea scooters and HDs also)......... unless i waved to them earlier in the day and they didn't respond. Then i just chuckle to myself and think "shame you thought i was just a sportbike riding wanker not a friend with a comprehensive tool kit, a lot of mechanical knowledge and a Van i would go and get, that you just havn't met yet". To those people i simply give a friendly little toot and a wave and just keep riding. :cold:
Wave or not its up to you. :blip:

JWALKER
21st December 2005, 11:32
I think its personal choice wether you wave or not. personally i wont wave to harleys, but, that cause my father grew with the whole harley/gang thing and thats fortunatly / unfortunatly sterotyped me towards them
but, if a scooter or a little bike waves to me i will wave back, cause i remeber what it was like when i had a little bike.
thats my two cents,

Waylander
21st December 2005, 12:07
Something interesting I've noticed. You're most likely to be waved at by a bike on a twisty road than on a straight one. Mainly because the wanabe riders take the straight roads and they are the ones just on the bike to look cool and not into the full enjoyment of riding, so they won't recognize another biker as a brother. Where as the rider on the twisties is most likely there for the fun of it and is a true biker brother (or sister).

That said there are a few that ride the straights that are true bikers that are there just because they are trying to get somewhere and not just out for a fun blat.

Also most bikers that are out in the rain or cold will wave cause as I said beore they are into the full enjoyment of riding no matter the weather.

Grahameeboy
21st December 2005, 12:20
[QUOTE=Cibby Chick]me thinks me needs somes of that medicinal stuff.... oh yeah.....

either that or..

Not sure we need to know what your " or is " CC!!!!!

Quartida
21st December 2005, 13:49
Oh yea i stop to help crashed/broken down bikes/riders as well (yea scooters and HDs also)......... unless i waved to them earlier in the day and they didn't respond. Then i just chuckle to myself and think "shame you thought i was just a sportbike riding wanker not a friend with a comprehensive tool kit, a lot of mechanical knowledge and a Van i would go and get, that you just havn't met yet". To those people i simply give a friendly little toot and a wave and just keep riding.

:rofl: :rofl:

As a pillion with aff-man I'm always impressed at how bikes always give each other "The Nod" - I think it's great to have such a sense of community. I can understand if you don't want to, but I say hey, spead the joy around. The world could do with a few more wavers.

And when I get my bike, I'll join in The Great Wave as well.

I reserve my judgement on scooters.

ManDownUnder
21st December 2005, 14:02
As quartida said, it's the sense of community.

I know I wave to most bikes (well... nod actually... ) but if they wave - I generally do too. I could care less if it's a scooter or a harley - even bright orange 636's...

It's like country folk waving to each other on the raod. It's just the way it goes. I like it

In The Breeze
23rd December 2005, 06:54
I found this (http://www.cycletownusa.com/joy.html) while surf'n. Bit of a giggle:Pokey:

"To Wave or Not to Wave
By Shalom Auslander

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community - a brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassel handlebars and the studded luggage and the half helmets - God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, do I hate those guys. I don't wave at them either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180 degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they have got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grandpa, and while your at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys - I don't wave at them either. Why they don't spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color as long as it is red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a Desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on the top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should ever wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over
at me and you know what I do? I don't wave I just keep going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from
me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at - those guys with the helmets with loud paint jobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet - like I'm going to wave back at that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is like a family, a close knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special."

Zed
23rd December 2005, 07:44
Riding home after a nightshift from Huntly to Hamilton, I came across a bunch of guys heading North at Horotiu about 07.15. Waved to the lot of them but never got acknowledged by ANY of them. What's with that? No curtesy bestowed to a GN125 - too good are you - never rode a small bike?Waving/noding/saluting other bikes is an individual choice that is often governed by how one is feeling at the time! :spudwhat:

Almost every morning on my way to work I religiously nod to a GN250 and a Harley, and both nod back. I remember when I first started seeing them that the Ginny rider was a bit slow on the uptake (L-plate rider too) but he soon got the hang of it. On my commute home I usually see an R1 and we try and give the nod but sometimes he's too busy focussing on his cornering...if you get my drift. In that case I don't get offended if he doesn't have time to acknowledge me! :niceone: