PDA

View Full Version : Shades Race Report AMCC Rnd 1 05

Shade
2nd October 2005, 19:43
Well, the day started off with myself and Logan (kk) in the van heading over to pukekohe. Upon arrival, we pulled out the racebike, and then Logan bailed on me over to No Hair <haha just kidding > :) Being the nice guy he is, frosty generously offered to let me pit with him and dougie.

I needed all the help i could get being my first race meeting and 3rd time out on the track.
I was on Logans old racebike number 36.

After getting scrutineering all sorted, i nervously waited for our first practice session. I was in two minds for it.
-One part of me was saying 'qualify at the back , and work your way up - its your first race, take it easy'.
- The other, go for it in practice, see how you do and give it heaps in the race.

Eventually, I realised from the help of others, that im here to race, not do another track day!! So i got on with it and decided to see how I would go.

- Practice -

Sitting at the dummy grid, praying it doesnt rain any minute, we were off and I began slowly easing into it. I was finding myself passing heaps of people everywhere, but getting held up at times too, but was happy with my performance. End result, I qualified 6th on the grid with a 1m 14.00 lap time. Not my best, but I was happy.

Highlights of this session
- Going down the back straight behind TS - Get to about 160ish M mark and decide im going to brake, and thought he would probably do so too. TS gets to about 80m before hauling on the anchors, going deep into the hairpin, and then round the outside of about 5 bikes before flying out the other side. I was told that was one of his 'braking marker errors' - HA! Bro, wicked move!! Looked priiimo :)

So nervously im waiting in the pits, butterflies going crazy and pacing around like an idiot, heheh. Finally we get the call up, and theres no rain around again.

Sitting on the grid, Im watching the guy with the flag. Everyones revving there engines and im trying to do my first race start properly with about 15ish bikes behind me. It drops, revs go up to around 10k and I start slipping the clutch. I thought I was going good and keeping up with everyone until I bogged it down and 3 bikes shot past me. Getting on the gas hard I passed someone into Jenian, then in the next lap (i think) I went around frosty and someone else at Jenian too, however this had me hard left of the track for the left going into castrol. I decided I needed to get castrol right otherwise I would lack back straight speed, and the only way to get a good line was to hold hard left and i went slightly over the ripple strip.

This had me in 4th place until just before 1 lap left, when Frosty and some guy on a yellow bike went underneath me at the hairpin. Chasing hard with one lap to go, I chased frosty over the hill and hard into Jenian as the final lap flag out, when I realised I better do something before he gets away. Hitting castrol hard, trying to get as much exit speed as i could for the back straight, I started going around the outside of frosty - and low sided.

Just a case of being a new racer and letting adrenaline get the best of me. Realistically, there was probably no way it would have worked, and in hindsight, I should have just been happy with 6th place for now, and tried to work something over the hill or at the hairpin.

However, I have learnt my lessons, had HEAPS of fun and met some new people.

Big thanks to -
KK - For the use of your racebike, all the tips and not caring when I bin her, sorry boys!!
Frosty and Dougie - For the support on the day, the advice and being nice fellas in general. Dougie sure picked up the pace from the day before too!! Man was he flying.
'The Hamihole crew' - Good bunch of blokes, had some good chats, and thanks Brett for offering a spare helmet just in case

Highlights of the race - Watching TS blitz the field by about 3/4 of a lap. Amazing riding, was great to be apart of it.

And no - Never saw any of my lap times before i crashed, if anyone did, let me know eh!!

Thanks guys, see you at the next meeting hopefully.

Shade.

FROSTY
2nd October 2005, 19:54
Shadey --mate I was seriously impressed by your riding.
I had the best seat in the house to watch you.6 laps of seeing ya ahead and behind and beside me
The guy on the yellow bike was Gary from GP motorcycles--his bike is a 430cc hotrod so ya did bloody well keeping up with him.
I gotta tell ya dude that was one ballsy move going up on the ripple strip to pass gary--Then that wasnt far enough so ya end up MX ing it --AND STILL MADE IT STICK.
I did love the look on ya face when I got ya under brakes into the hairpin --It was like -No its not possible :devil2:

Shade
2nd October 2005, 19:59
Thanks Mate -

More thanks and highlights which I forgot to mention -

Mad Duck in the pits with me, offering kind words and advice!! Calmed my nerves down heaps!!

Also Sparky for the help !!

And yes, another highlight was Frosty getting me at the hairpin, as much as I hated it, Was impressive none the less :)

And yeh, bit of MX Action never hurts now and then eh!! :)

Zed
2nd October 2005, 20:08
Good onya for getting out there and 'doing it' Shade! Sounds like you were doing really well too, pity about the bin but it happens to the best of 'em! :niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
2nd October 2005, 21:29
...and its even better when it aint yours! :P

Hahaha, nah dude, youve earnt the beast, i had my fair share on her and now she must be passed down the EBR chain, its yours, just remember to take care of her e.g oil change, no revvy revvy near that red part, and fix then double check everything over after every slide you two go on! :P

Good report. So how did the missus take it when she found out you crashed a bike when you were out with logan? Am i still alowed around? :P

Hoon
2nd October 2005, 21:59
Good stuff Shade. 1:13.4 is pretty good place to be on your first race. As you've seen thats where all the action is and its this action (and close competition) that encourages improvement.
Yeah you had a crash but thats all part of racing and even though its a bummer you always learn something valuable from a crash that makes you a better racer in the long run.

KK's had that bike into the 1:10s and thats a comforting thing to know....means you don't have to worry about the bike and can focus all your efforts on riding.

Two Smoker
3rd October 2005, 06:19
AWESOME STUFF Shade!!! To be up there mixing it with the fast guys in your first race is very impressive!!! Pity bout the lowside, maybe trying to put your knee down rather than let it come down???

Cant wait to see you in the next race!!!

Sparky
3rd October 2005, 17:10
Shame a bout the bin, but at least you're Ok and not too much damage done. And a lesson learned ay.
Anyway was cool to meet you and all the best for next time :niceone:

Here are some pic's:

http://community.webshots.com/album/465675395PtaHkv

MadDuck
4th October 2005, 12:10
Mad Duck in the pits with me, offering kind words and advice!! Calmed my nerves down heaps!!

Was great to part of our first taste of racing ...btw folks IT WAS NOT MY ADVICE FOR HIM TO BIN IT :wait:

Motoracer
4th October 2005, 18:06
Where did you pull that one out from Shade? Holly shit! No offence Shade but that was like a shocking surprise. The last time I saw you ride, you were doing pretty good and I thought wow he's doing really well for someone new to riding. Now all of a sudden, on your very first race ever! You come out of nowhere and fuken be right up there in F3 and you even over took Frosty!! Like WTF did that come from? lol

It was very impressive to watch Shade and keep at it! I can't wait to see how well you go on your future races.

You are definetly one of the ones to watch out for!

Good luck to you. :niceone:

Shade
5th October 2005, 16:10
Thanks all for the kind words.

Will be definately out there again one day, when time off work will allow it :( Was heaps of fun meeting everyone and having a blast on the track, all big thanks to KK -

And in the bigger picture, the whole reason im doing it is to gain better skills on the bike, so im happy! :)

babyB
10th October 2005, 12:51
hay shade cool right up. well done and good luck in future. good on ya for being out there. stay rubber side- up

babyB
10th October 2005, 12:52
hay shade cool right up. well done and good luck in future. good on ya for being out there. stay rubber side- down m8 lol