PDA

View Full Version : A few Qs..

Angry Puppy
2nd February 2004, 19:05
Hi guys. As a newbie to New Zealand, I thought I'd ask you lot for your opinion on the following points;

-The bikers I've seen in traffic don't really bother filtering and tend to queue with the cars. Is that a laid-back thing or is it too dangerous with the numties on the road over here?
- Do the biker gangs (black power etc) give non-gang bikers any trouble or do they keep themselves to themselves?
-Can anyone recommend any good biker/rock bars in Auckland/ North Shore? I've heard The Dogs Bollocks is pretty good. What do you guys think?

Cheers guys

:Punk: Fazer Bloke

ching_ching
2nd February 2004, 19:18
Hey Fazer Bloke,

As far as filtering is concerned I think it might be because when people take the basic handling course these days there's no mention of something like this (others please correct me if I'm wrong). Mr Plod doesn't smile to kindly on lane splitting and sitting on the line either (I believe).

I've only past a few biker gangs (coming the opposite way) and I've waved (I try to wave to any motorcyclist from Harley to Vespa) but received no acknowledgement back (tis cool) and I can only surmise that they could see that I was on a non European / American bike.

the ching :2thumbsup

mangell6
2nd February 2004, 19:23
Hi guys. As a newbie to New Zealand, I thought I'd ask you lot for your opinion on the following points;

We are all opinionated :lol:

-The bikers I've seen in traffic don't really bother filtering and tend to queue with the cars. Is that a laid-back thing or is it too dangerous with the numties on the road over here?

Yes, Can't be bothered filtering as the car drivers and the HP are all out to get you, its a percentage game.

- Do the biker gangs (black power etc) give non-gang bikers any trouble or do they keep themselves to themselves?

Dunno, they tend to get a bit pissed at you when you start calling them names and ask about to borrow one of their tractors. :kick:

Mike

Mumbles
2nd February 2004, 19:32
Out west we have a bike plod who always turns up when you cant be arsed sitting in line, then hoons up the breakdown lane (cause he don’t have the skill to follow between traffic) to hand out instants, I’ve come close more than once to getting an introduction (they like to hide next to on-ramps and under overpasses like trolls really) I bide my time a take a good look before going for a wander up the line, or follow someone with bigger nads then me … hoping he/she will met him first.

As for gangs…. Treat them like a rabid dog, don’t make direct eye contact an keep your distance – In saying that they generally are good to follow in traffic as Mr Plod loves them. – Not all gangs are the same in NZ you find out pretty quickly if you’re in the shite.

The Dogs is a nice Irish pub so I've been told... dont have any money to drink though.... dam bike!
Mumbles :Pokey:

Lou Girardin
2nd February 2004, 19:47
Follow the rules, that is, overtake between between the car and the lane divider on his right. Keep your speed differential low and you should be fine. Bikie gangs seem to be more interested in making lots of money than raising hell these days.
Lou

Motu
2nd February 2004, 19:48
I sit with the cars these days,I just can't be bothered,doesn't get you anywhere and the odds of being clouted by some clown are high.

The gangs are only a problem if you are in their sphere of influence - drugs,sex,or if you own a Harley they want.Most are polite one to one,always have been as far as I'm concerned.

Bike pubs keep changing,but I think with the type of bike you are riding the cafe scene would be more suitable.Dogs Bollix - sure.

Slingshot
2nd February 2004, 21:10
Hey Fazer...that avatar is just superb...can you start posting lots and lots...please. :gob:

Jackrat
2nd February 2004, 22:46
Fazer,I split at the lights but keep an eye out for the plod.
As far as gangs go,Keep away.If you do run into a Bike gang,just be cool and don't do anything stupid like asking about them,Talking about the weather is cool but don't express an opinion on anything.The gangs like Black power or Mongrel mob are to be avoided at all costs.If you are at a pub and anyone offers to sell you something,Politely say no thanks and then leave.
Gangs are one of my pet hates,Frankly I wouldn,t piss in a gang members mouth if his teeth were on fire.

spudchucka
3rd February 2004, 15:10
Just a quick word on the gang situation in NZ in terms of being a motorcycle rider.

The ethnic gangs, Black Power & Mongrel Mob are the most well known, tend to be thugs that will turn their hands to any sort of crime, (generalising here). "Taxing" is popular amongst these gangs so if you are turning in their circles and value your ride, make sure you keep it safe and watch your back.

The biker gangs or "Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs" are a different kettle of fish. These guys are generally well organised and aren't as overt in there criminal operations as the ethnic gangs. They don't get in as much bother with the law because they are generally smarter. Most generally won't bother with a Jap bike rider unless they do something to piss them off. Some of these gangs actually have disciplinary action against their members that get into trouble with the law, so the members tend to keep there heads pulled in when in public.

As I said these comments are generalising, there are plenty of biker gang members that are just full bore dickheads.

Best advice I can give is that if you don't want fleas, then don't hang around with dogs.

Motu
3rd February 2004, 16:07
The loose cannons in the gangs are the prospects - they gotta do something to impress the judges...if that means knocking some Jap bike rider off his bike at the lights and setting fire to it,so be it.Why is the law so powerless to deal with these pricks?

jrandom
3rd February 2004, 16:30
The bikers I've seen in traffic don't really bother filtering and tend to queue with the cars.

er... you want to follow me down the northwestern motorway someday, you do :whistle:

You're over from the UK then? Yeah, filtering in general is rather frowned on here by Der Jackbooteren Fuzzenboyen.

As previous posters have pointed out, filtering *should* be fine so long as you pass in the same lane on the right-hand side (ie, you're to the left of the dividing line). Of course, that's not always possible, you can't get 500m through slowed traffic without crossing the line a few times, so just keep the ol' Mk I eyeball in continuous scan mode. You'll see the marked plodmobiles a mile off, just remember to scan the road shoulders and note hiding spots around onramps, etc.

If they *do* get you it will likely be an instant $150 fine for 'passing on the left'. If you really piss them off, or there was a high speed differential, you may be unlucky enough to get careless or reckless driving, which means a court date. I've been threatened (but not charged) with 'careless' for nipping down a road shoulder and ducking back into stopped traffic, so you never know.

In the end, IMHO, filtering around here is mainly limited by testicular atrophy and overly mature risk management strategies :Punk: :stupid:

Lou Girardin
3rd February 2004, 17:01
Why is the law so powerless to deal with these pricks?

Not powerless, unwilling.
Lou

svs
4th February 2004, 09:15
You're over from the UK then? Yeah, filtering in general is rather frowned on here by Der Jackbooteren Fuzzenboyen.

As previous posters have pointed out, filtering *should* be fine so long as you pass in the same lane on the right-hand side (ie, you're to the left of the dividing line). Of course, that's not always possible, you can't get 500m through slowed traffic without crossing the line a few times, so just keep the ol' Mk I eyeball in continuous scan mode. You'll see the marked plodmobiles a mile off, just remember to scan the road shoulders and note hiding spots around onramps, etc.

ditto. I'm from the UK and used to lane splitting. Here I've been pulled over by plod on bike and given a warning. I've also had a written warning, from what I presume was an unmarked car. Both down the motorway into wellington in rush hour (slow) traffic.

However, I spoke to the LTSA and they said there's nothing in the road code against it as such. I've also followed a Marked Police Bike up the middle of the queue to Paremata roundabout in rush hour and he definately wasn't staying in the same lane. So what gives? :doh:

Moral of the story is be careful.

riffer
4th February 2004, 09:29
I've also followed a Marked Police Bike up the middle of the queue to Paremata roundabout in rush hour and he definately wasn't staying in the same lane. So what gives?
That's probably 79UBA. He's a law unto himself. Fun to follow though. He's quite quick through the lanes, and doesn't mind crossing over to the right hand lane on the left of the cars when the usual idiot cagers decide to drive to the absolute right of their lane.

riffer
4th February 2004, 09:37
I've been threatened (but not charged) with 'careless' for nipping down a road shoulder and ducking back into stopped traffic, so you never know.Down here in Wellington there's always a big logjam near the Paremata roundabout, and a few people try to go down the side road past the Police College. Now if you're wanting to go towards Hawyards you're okay cause you can go straight over the hill and through Waitangirua to Whitby and out to the seaside road without copping any traffic, but if you are trying to just circumvent the Paremata roundabout queues, you get stuck about 200m before the feeder to the roundabout at Paremata.

Anyway, if you want to go straight ahead instead of to the roundabout you can get caught in 200m of traffic as this is the only way through. I have seen many pissed off cagers decide "the hell with it" and drive for a good 100m on the wrong side of the road to go straight ahead. Seen many near misses on that road. Watching someone trying to lanesplit in a LandCruiser is pretty scary, particularly if you they are coming towards you on YOUR side of the road!

Anyway as for lanesplitting, I do it all the time now. I just can't be assed waiting in the traffic now. I have to keep checking my speed though. I tend to stop splitting if I have to do more than 70km/h, although I have friends that will split even if the traffic is doing 110...

franco
4th February 2004, 11:45
Faze Bloke, I read the thread with the full intention of answering, but I keep getting distracted by your avatar! :yes: I watched her for a good couple of minutes before snapping out of it. Is that wrong? :o

Anyways, I tend to lane split only when there are no cops around. Some car drivers (mostly blokes) who see you coming can take exception to your advantage and may try to manuever their cars to squeeze you out. So like it's probably been said already, be careful, it's the cages who are your biggest threat not the cops.

Gangs? What gangs?

Angry Puppy
4th February 2004, 11:54
Thanks for the replys, guys. appreciated....

Wonko
4th February 2004, 12:44
I spilt when I need to get somewhere and if traffic is below 40, but I'm not in too much of a hurry, and still learning this bike. It's legal, to my knowledge,as long as you don't leave your lane. Mr plod may have a differnet view, so keep your eye's peeled.

Gangs usally keep to themselves, just keep your eye's open for the young guy's trying to prove themselves.

Pub's, anyone that you stop at.

Batcerb
4th February 2004, 15:26
I asked a traffic polcice guy about lanesplitting at a petrol station once.

He told me it was fine aslong as I stayed in the lane. and wasnt doing anything to make it unsafe(er) eg, dicing past at 100 when traffic is walkingpace.

By the looks of it, its probably down the the officers descretion. Personally i wouldnt hesitate to split even if there was a cop in the que ahead - aslong as im doing it safe.

Nouseforaname
4th February 2004, 16:26
I got a $300 fine for lane splitting about 2 years back, one fine for "overtaking on the left when prohibited" and one for "failing to indicate".

If you are gona split, make sure it is on the right hand side of that lane, it makes it hard though cos most drivers leave a bigger gap on their left side than their right. And also try not to cross over the centre line.... cos then you'll get a failing to indicate fine. The reason i got a "overtaking on the left when prohibited" fine was cos i was in the far right hand lane of the motorway but was passing with the car to the right of me.

Had some guy ( im pretty sure ) try knock me off on the northern this morning, i was watching his eyes and he had seen me coming up, then at the last moment he pulled right over to either block me..... or hit me. Owell i dont care... he was stuck in trafiic and his girlfriend was fugly..... so i guess i deserved it :bleh:

wkid_one
4th February 2004, 17:50
And also try not to cross over the centre line.... cos then you'll get a failing to indicate fine.
Either that or reckless driving or failure to stay within your designated lane

SPman
4th February 2004, 20:49
:Offtopic:
Faze Bloke, I read the thread with the full intention of answering, but I keep getting distracted by your avatar! :yes: I watched her for a good couple of minutes before snapping out of it. Is that wrong?
:yes: - for that long its boring.

Wkid one's have got more class.....:thud:

wkid_one
4th February 2004, 21:05
:Offtopic:
:yes: - for that long its boring.

Wkid one's have got more class.....:thud:
Feel free to use them - I notice someone has picked up the EYE already~!

spudchucka
4th February 2004, 21:55
Not powerless, unwilling.
Lou

Sorry but I gotta dissagree with you. Gang members get targeted and locked up on every possible occassion. Last year a BP member got 5 years for "Participation in a Criminal Group".

Zed
4th February 2004, 22:26
Hi ya Bloke & welcome the the land of the looooong white cloud!

Some of us filter while others dawdle behind long lines of rubberneckers (usually slowing right down to gawk at something extremely important like someone changing a tire!).

Depends what town you're in in NZ...apparently it is not wise to ride or drive through a town like Ruatoria on the East Coast and stop to see the sights! Gang activity is more dominating in small rural towns in NZ rather than the bigger cities. I had a race with one of those BP gang members once when I owned my GSXR750...he rode like a real nutcase, passing cars over double yellow lines at high speeds and all- he thought he could beat me on his harley! :no:

-Can anyone recommend any good biker/rock bars in Auckland/ North Shore? I've heard The Dogs Bollocks is pretty good. What do you guys think?

Cheers guys

:Punk: Fazer Bloke
Take care out there (& in here :) )

Zed

Grumpy
5th February 2004, 09:19
Been riding awhile now and I have to say the gangs are alot better these days than back then. I remember having to ring the neck of my poor little 450 on more than one occasion when some gang member would object to me riding a japper past him, although I can't say it was ever too hard to keep in front of them then.These days they ride as though they are invincable.

They rode mainly British back then.

With a few obvious exceptions the "them and us" mentality doesn't seem to become as big an issue these days.

What?
6th February 2004, 05:41
Depends what town you're in in NZ...apparently it is not wise to ride or drive through a town like Ruatoria on the East Coast and stop to see the sights!

Urban myth here? I have been to, and stopped in, Ruatoria many times. Always found the locals perfectly friendly.
I have also never had any bother with either the mob or BP (this does NOT mean I have any time for the wankers, though). But... I would not like to get in between those two groups!! Some other gangs are a worry though - try to run jap bike riders off the road etc.

SPman
8th February 2004, 19:09
- try to run jap bike riders off the road etc.
Had that happen in the South island once! A couple of patched denizens decided to play chicken and play head ons! I thought "Fuck em", cracked up the throttle and aimed for them......amazing how fast they got back out of the way......:sweatdrop

Coldkiwi
9th February 2004, 13:08
whether its a good idea to race nutters with big mates I dunno. if you loose, probably not a problem, if you win, don't do a rolling burnout around them to rub it in!

As for lane splitting, there are plenty who do it but i'd agree there's a bizarre lot that seem happy to sit behind all the cars all the time (if you're going to do that I'd take the a/c and radio over a less comfy bike seat!). I lane split profusely going home and coming to work and I pretty much don't stop unless i get to a VERY narrow gap or see a plod (or am approaching a likely plod hole- cue Meerkat style standing on pegs and looking around!)

Where do you commute from? there'll be someone on here who knows the usual hiding spots that can probably tell you where to look

moko
9th February 2004, 13:52
I didnt get any hassle from anyone in N.Z.,had a scruffy car slow down and loads of Maori kids stick their heads out and give it friendly "Hey brother" e.t.c. before a cheery wave and pulling away in Rotorua,still baffled by that one.Got asked to take my bike jacket off before being allowed into a pub in North Bay area,no hassle there at all despite being the only honky in the place,great people,good night.Only agro I saw was a couple of guys squaring up when I came out of the toilet cubicle,complete with mates backing the opponents up.Had that "oh shit" feeling as all heads turned my way but it was,"sorry man we`re in your way" and they parted to let me through.In British towns on weekend nights you walk everywhere watching your step and being attacked for no apparent reason is pretty much what goes on,really sad and one reason there`s a queue of Poms trying to get in.

Angry Puppy
10th February 2004, 18:42
Where do you commute from? there'll be someone on here who knows the usual hiding spots that can probably tell you where to look

I'm actually working walking distance from home (milford to takapuna) so I'm back to being a weekend rider. besides Until the bike gets here from the UK.

Hey Moko, I see you're a Fazer bloke as well. Are you a Foccer?

Fazer Bloke

Ur Most Wanted
11th February 2004, 16:07
*totally off topic*
Where bouts in takaz do you work mate, near the shopping mall there?

*wants to meet some shore riders*. i see alot on the way to taka every morning.

Kerran

MD
17th February 2004, 21:09
Got booked years ago in Welly for using the m/way shoulder and seen a few Bikes getting the lecture at the roadside over the years. Like the above comments- do it BUT KEEP AN EYE OUT. I tend to pass a small bunch of cars at a time, then pull back in line to re-scan ahead and behind then duck out for more. But check for other bikes blasting through the gap behind you first, there are a few Lads lanesplit at speed here. The tintops are getting quite good at parting the way when they see a bike sneaking through- makes you feel like Moses! give them the thumbs up wave. I reckon there's more chance another bike will take you out lane splitting than a car these days.

Zed
17th February 2004, 21:55
Who's Moses?

MD
17th February 2004, 22:31
He used to ride a Suzuki waterbottle to church a long time ago. And why are you up so late?

Zed
17th February 2004, 22:36
He used to ride a Suzuki waterbottle to church a long time ago. And why are you up so late?
I'm in bed actually...got my pc hooked up to wake me up every time I get a new post from you!