PDA

View Full Version : Selling my bike and emigrating to NZ

$ilver
3rd October 2005, 01:21
I am thinking about selling my bike, house and wife (well I might keep the wife lol) and emigrating to NZ. It sucks riding in the winter here in the UK.

Trouble is I need to find out a lot of stuff before I put my home on the market.

Like:

Can I bring my dog?
Can I bring my wife?
My daughter is in her last year of school, do you guys have public schools?
Can I ride my bike, drive my car on a UK licence?
How much Tax do you guys pay for motorcycles? (I saw a post ‘don’t let them tax us off the road’ what’s that all about?)
Do I need Tax, insurance and MOT on a bike.
Do you guys pay health and dental insurance? (we get free healthcare over here (well it’s not really free because we pay national insurance on our wages))

This is just a few of the questions I have but I can’t find a site/forum where I can find answers. If you guys know of any good forums or sites I could look at?

Cheers for any help

$ilver :niceone:

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 01:45
(1) Yes (will need to be quarantined though)
(2) Yes
(3) Yes
(4) Yes (after 12 months you will need a NZ licence though)
(5) The 'tax' is ACC levy - allegedly cover costs of injury should you crash.
(6) Yearly relicencing (rego), Warrant of Fitness (MOT). Ins? - up to you!
(7) A certain amount of our taxes and vehicle rego go to ACC who cover all out accident injury costs (allegedly) but when it comes to health you're on your own, you pay for each doctors visit (unless it's an accident related visit) and most that can afford it have medical insurance, saves waiting in line for non-urgent surgery and pays for doctors visits.

Very basic but hope it helps!!!!

And welcome to the site!.

$ilver
3rd October 2005, 02:04
Do you know how long the quarantine period is for?

Also to get an NZ licence would I have to retake driving tests?

and cheers scumdog :)

The_Dover
3rd October 2005, 06:54
Check out www.immigration.govt.nz it has a lot of answers on it. But I think most of your questions have been answered pretty well and people on here will always help you out!

Sniper
3rd October 2005, 06:57
Hey mate, welcome to the site. I think you have got all your answers but feel free to ask away :)

James Deuce
3rd October 2005, 07:35
Pet quarantine details:

http://www.maf.govt.nz/quarantine/contact/enquiries.htm

WINJA
3rd October 2005, 07:56
KEEP YOUR DAUGHTER LOCKED UP , YOU DONT WANT HER TO MEET TRISTANK OR JOHN , THEY ARE HOMOS AND CAN BE VERY NASTY TO THE LADYS. WELCOME TO THE SITE , I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR ZED

Oakie
3rd October 2005, 08:07
Hi and welcome
Try here for info on NZ as a whole http://www.stats.govt.nz/default.htm and here for info on motor vehicle licensing etc http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/index-ltsa.html

Fart
3rd October 2005, 08:36
I am from Afganistan and also thinking of immigration to NZ.

Just a few questions.

1. Can I bring my goats?
2. Can I bring my harem of ten wives?
3. Can I bring my Russian built bike?
4. Do you have public schools for beginners to explosives?

:sweatdrop :whistle:

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 08:57
I am from Afganistan and also thinking of immigration to NZ.

Just a few questions.

1. Can I bring my goats?
2. Can I bring my harem of ten wives?
3. Can I bring my Russian built bike?
4. Do you have public schools for beginners to explosives?

:sweatdrop :whistle:

I think in reality you actually have Russian goat-like wife who explodes and beats you ten times a day......as a result of this you were concussed when you wrote this.

ManDownUnder
3rd October 2005, 09:04
...as a result of this you were concussed when you wrote this.

SD - now you don't actually KNOW that for a fact... but I'm willing to help "correct the situation" if you're wrong.

bugjuice
3rd October 2005, 09:12
welcome $ilver.. there's a few fellow poms in the ranks here (I being one), so you'll fit in just fine. Just don't put up with all this kiwi crap ;)

tis an awesome land (doesn't matter what part you choose to call home), and the people are all awesome too.. There are a few people who have imported their cherished rides from the UK, Tazman (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=2084) is one name that springs to mind, he brought over his bike earlier this year. May be give him a message (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=2084) and ask what he had to go thru to get it here. As for the other Q's, they all seemed to have been answered. And the lisence thing is easy too. Wouldn't worr about it. You get 12 months on the UK lisence, then you have to convert it to a kiwi one, which should be a breeze. Plus, you'll see what bad habbits you've picked up!

Insurance isn't compulsary, but most definitely ideal, and MOTs are required on all vehicles every 6 months on anything older than 3 years (I think), where they get yearly tags. The MOTs are WOF (Warrent Of Fitness) and road tax is refered to as 'Rego' too. The only other thing is some stupid turning left/give way to the right rule, which you'll pick up and become second nature, then every other country you'll visit after that, you'll crash cos you're too used to it. Schools are generally good too. As for the missus, no comment ;)

Hope it all goes well for ya, hope you get here in time to enjoy the awesome summer we've got coming!!

el milanes
3rd October 2005, 09:15
Can I bring my wife?
The first one that get a job offer could get a work permit (bound to the job) but the partner would get an open work permit. Meanwhile your application for residency would get processed. It usually takes months, but depending on the points can also be reasonably quick.

Sure: get yourself an international license and renew it every year!!
Seriously, unless you've had them for 2 years or more, you just need to sit for the theory which is a kind of a joke. The funniest is that the specific questions for car or bike are just 10 out of 40. So if you want both licenses you have to answers to 2 lots of 30 questions, most of them are the same. You'll find them on the ltsa web site.

How much Tax do you guys pay for motorcycles?
$50 more per year than the car :-( (ACC levy)

Insurance is not compulsory, which I find really stupid. If you're older than 25 it's reasonably cheap.

If you guys know of any good forums or sites I could look at?

Also in www.immigration.co.nz (http://www.immigration.co.nz) the newsletters are quite interesting.

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 09:20
As for the missus, no commend ;)

Does this mean you don't recommend he brings his wife?? :shit:

Or is that meant to be 'no commenT'?

Scruff
3rd October 2005, 09:27
Before you sell everything go to the nz govt immigration site and check that you can settle here.It would be a petty to sell everthing and then have to return home.Hope it all goes well.
The site is www.immigration.govt.nz

bugjuice
3rd October 2005, 09:27
Does this mean you don't recommend he brings his wife?? :shit:

Or is that meant to be 'no commenT'?
someone's had too much coffee this morning..
well spotted (does this mean people actually read my crap..??), duely changed. Now don't point out my mistakes again! cos you'll be here all week

el milanes
3rd October 2005, 09:31
Before you sell everything go to the nz govt immigration site and check that you can settle here.It would be a petty to sell everthing and then have to return home.Hope it all goes well.

He could just go to the NZIS London office and file residency application for all his family from there. That means clearing all police and medical certificates and start the process. London though is the busiest office and it won't be cheap either...

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 09:33
...... duely changed. Now don't point out my mistakes again! cos you'll be here all week

Is that meant to be 'duly' or are you going to have a 'pistols at 20 paces' kind of sort-out?? :dodge: :2guns:

dawnrazor
3rd October 2005, 09:37
Do a search on amazon, for a book called "living and working in new zealand", it is specifically designed for someone like yourself, not aimed at backpackers, very handy book will answer ALL your questions, including how to go about gaining residency and visas etc. As someone who went through this process recently I can't reccomend it enough. However it will pay to double check alot of the facts with the websites in the book, as like all countries goalposts move and information and facts change.
The NZ embassy in Haymarket in London is also a great place to get infomation, very helpful folks, you can write them and they will send you a info pack, and then you might be wise to meet them and sort out other questions.
NZ is very like UK living in many ways, not a huge culture difference.
I believe the animal quarantine is around 6 months at your expense, know some one how did the same thing with their dog and remember them saying it was not cheap.

PM me if you have any other questions, and get that book (i picked a copy up in waterstones in london).

Cheers

WINJA
3rd October 2005, 09:38
HE JUST HAS TO PRETEND TO BE A HOPELESS UNEMPLOYABLE LOSER , THE GOVERNMENT ALWAYS LETS THOSE TYPES IN, OR A COP , WHICH IS THE SAME THING REALLY

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 09:46
HE JUST HAS TO PRETEND TO BE A HOPELESS UNEMPLOYABLE LOSER , THE GOVERNMENT ALWAYS LETS THOSE TYPES IN, OR A COP , WHICH IS THE SAME THING REALLY

Then they breed... and a few generations later you have? ta-da! WINJA!

bugjuice
3rd October 2005, 10:13
Is that meant to be 'duly' or are you going to have a 'pistols at 20 paces' kind of sort-out?? :dodge: :2guns:
see, ya doin it again..

thehollowmen
3rd October 2005, 10:19
Then they breed... and a few generations later you have? ta-da! WINJA!

Did I ever tell you how awesome you are?

Keep up that and you'll have a fan-following

thehollowmen
3rd October 2005, 10:21
Do a search on amazon, for a book called "living and working in new zealand", Cheers

Isn't that published by NZIS / immigration?
We got a copy from them posted to us with some other documentation.

Timetogo
3rd October 2005, 11:07
You DON'T have to quarantine your dog, it just needs to be vaccinated for just about everything you can think of. They are flown here as freight which is expensive. Labrador size dog costs about 2500 pounds to get here. Getting the bike here and registered is easy/cheap it’d just go in a container with your other stuff. The only thing that is cheaper here is petrol and wages. Public transport is virtually non-existent on comparison to the UK. House prices/insurance are about the same if you live in Auckland, but are less in a lot of places further south. The speed limit/law enforcement is draconian but the roads are great for bikes. The “quality of life” here is definitely better but hard to measure.

dawnrazor
3rd October 2005, 13:47
Isn't that published by NZIS / immigration?
We got a copy from them posted to us with some other documentation.
They might do something with a similiar title, but this is one of a series of books can't remember the publisher;
Living and working in........America, UK,Austrailia,NZ, etc. They are independent of countries immigration bodies and as a result give an unbiased view on a range of topics, but also point out pit falls and potential red tape. They are kinda like lonely planet books for people wishing to relocate to another country, but without an or the touristy nonsense

branco
3rd October 2005, 15:25
Been here for 12 years, god i hate the place, cheap houses, cheap bikes, cheap petrol, wages are okay, ladies are wonderful (although this does not apply to you). Roads are empty (yes even in Auckland). Best roads are in the south island.

The_Dover
3rd October 2005, 16:07
Agree with most of what branco said except the cheap houses, wages being ok and ladies wonderful!!

Houses are cheap where no civilised person would consider living (read: outside of Auckland), wages are pretty poor and the ladies under the age of 30 (I'm not yet ready to grab a granny) tend to be psychotic drama queens dosed up on Prozac (or the cheaper equivalent). Most guys I know have found the chicks they have dated to be absolute nut jobs, myself and numerous kiwi's included. We are all praying for a container load of imports to be brought in from the UK at rock bottom prices so if you do make the move bring your daughters, nieces, whatever.........we'll be nice......honest.

Lou Girardin
3rd October 2005, 16:13
Roads are empty (yes even in Auckland). .

Yeah right. What are those mobile things I duck around each day. Chicanes?

The_Dover
3rd October 2005, 16:28
Nah, those is Auckland Zoo's mobile units, bringing the public face to face with dangerous animals on a daily basis.......

dawnrazor
3rd October 2005, 18:57
Agree with most of what branco said except the cheap houses, wages being ok and ladies wonderful!!

Houses are cheap where no civilised person would consider living (read: outside of Auckland), wages are pretty poor and the ladies under the age of 30 (I'm not yet ready to grab a granny) tend to be psychotic drama queens dosed up on Prozac (or the cheaper equivalent). Most guys I know have found the chicks they have dated to be absolute nut jobs, myself and numerous kiwi's included. We are all praying for a container load of imports to be brought in from the UK at rock bottom prices so if you do make the move bring your daughters, nieces, whatever.........we'll be nice......honest.

Ah if your that desperate, there is always the white house

Macktheknife
3rd October 2005, 19:18
I think in reality you actually have Russian goat-like wife who explodes and beats you ten times a day......as a result of this you were concussed when you wrote this.

ROFLMAO :clap: :woohoo: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

$ilver
3rd October 2005, 19:32
Well you seem like a dam friendly lot who have a great sense of humour!

Many many thanks for the replies, lots of help there. It's great that our dog won’t have to go in quarantine because I couldn’t bear to leaver her there for 6 months.

I will tell the wife she needs to go into quarantine for 6 months though on the advice given here :rofl:

$ilver :grouphug:

2wheels in Red Beach
3rd October 2005, 21:29
Hay Silver,

I have been here (in NZ) now for the past five years and it's the best thing I ever did was leave the UK. The winter here is more like our Autumn, so it doesn't really get that cold (not in Auckland anyway). The scenery is fantastic and the locals are friendly you don't have to walk down the street making sure you don't make eye contact with the person walking towards you....They say starnge things like......Good morning and other wierd stuff like Hello. You may how ever miss the pub scene. They do have sports bars over here. When I went for an interview on a friday at the place I work now I was given a bottle of beer while they conducted the interview. So you don't have to cut down on the drinking :drinkup: . Anyway this is a bike site. Sorry one more thing I love New Zealand. :niceone: and i am looking forward to seeing more of it on two wheels.

$ilver
4th October 2005, 00:07
Yea I will be selling my bike and using it as an excuse to get a better one :)

What are the second hand bike prices like over there? Similar to the UK? An average second hand Suzuki Bandit 1200 over here is £3,500 good condition. That works out at nearly $9000 NZ.

Oh yea what voltage is NZ on? It's 240v in the UK

What’s the job situation over there? Is there a reasonable amount of jobs going? I can turn my hand to almost anything but office work is limited to AutoCAD im afraid (I don’t like sitting in a chair all day).

$ilver

betti
4th October 2005, 05:42
gday mate

Im a pom too, been here 12 months lovin it!.
Brought my gsxr kat with me, cost an extra £250 in the container with other gear, specialized firms will do it for £600.
All you need is yer v5 and purchase receipt, if you've owned the bike for 12 months you will pay gst on it, similar to vat, of 12.5%, less age depreciation, up to a maximum of 75% of the value of the bike if you've owned it over 5 years.
It will probably pay ya to bring it with you.

try www.bikepoint.co.nz, or www.trademe.co.nz for second hand prices
voltage is the same in Nz, BUT yer tele and dvd/vcr might not work, ours didnt, but they are bloody cheap over here anyhoo.
You'll need a load of two prong plugs and will spend yer first week cutting brit ones off and replacin em, either that or buy a load of four way adapters over there and change fewer plugs!..
As the guys stated one of you will need to have a job offer before you are allowed to enter the country, goto the immigration site and look at the skills shortage list, decide what you can do, and apply to an online firm or recruitment agency b4 you start the immigration process, you will have a much better chance of getting in with a job offer on the table!.
All the best, c ya on the roads in about 6 months

Posh Tourer :P
5th October 2005, 05:13
No-one has mentioned it yet, but you cant bring a wife in, the sheep get jealous.

And dogs just ruin the sheep for everyone else....

MisterD
5th October 2005, 11:26
gday mate

All you need is yer v5 and purchase receipt, if you've owned the bike for 12 months you will pay gst on it, similar to vat, of 12.5%, less age depreciation, up to a maximum of 75% of the value of the bike if you've owned it over 5 years.

If you've owned the bike for long enough then you can escape GST by signing a commitment not to sell it for 2 years. I brought my scoot over with me, and it was a reasonably painless process.

Ever wondered why you never find English people in London - it's cos we're all here! Sweet as, aye!

fredie
15th January 2008, 23:50
what happened too pommy silver :apint:

scumdog
16th January 2008, 12:13
what happened too pommy silver :apint:

Yeah, and what happened to pommy silver?

kevfromcoro
20th October 2008, 11:31
I am thinking about selling my bike, house and wife (well I might keep the wife lol) and emigrating to NZ. It sucks riding in the winter here in the UK.

Trouble is I need to find out a lot of stuff before I put my home on the market.

Like:

Can I bring my dog?
Can I bring my wife?

Yeah sure mate..
Small animals ...just wrap them up in something,, and put them in your handbag.....

Larger animals..may have to be seperated...and placed into small packages...

If you have a large animal...like a dog..
You could give him a shave....and buy an extra ticket for him...
Course,..... he may need an Albianian passport..........

Hawkeye
20th October 2008, 21:19

Like:

Can I bring my dog?
Can I bring my wife?
My daughter is in her last year of school, do you guys have public schools?
How much Tax do you guys pay for motorcycles? (I saw a post ‘don’t let them tax us off the road’ what’s that all about?)
Do you guys pay health and dental insurance? (we get free healthcare over here (well it’s not really free because we pay national insurance on our wages))

This is just a few of the questions I have but I can’t find a site/forum where I can find answers. If you guys know of any good forums or sites I could look at?

Cheers for any help

Welcome to KB.

Here is a site that all of your questions and more can be answered.

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/

This site has been going for quite a long time and has lots of useful info.

PirateJafa
21st October 2008, 08:31
Welcome to KB.

Here is a site that all of your questions and more can be answered.

http://www.emigratenz.org/forum/

This site has been going for quite a long time and has lots of useful info.

Psst. Mate, this dude posted up his question before you even joined KB back in 2005. ;)

Bend-it
21st October 2008, 15:05
don't you love thread revivals?

Hawkeye
21st October 2008, 16:58
Psst. Mate, this dude posted up his question before you even joined KB back in 2005. ;)

Don't blame me - It was Fredie who reincarnated it. And then Scummy got in on the act.:oi-grr:

roy.nz
21st October 2008, 17:52
Like everyone has told you www.nzis.govt.nz and www.maf.govt.nz and one word of advice is dont use any of these people who can assist you to do all the paper work.DO IT BY YOURSELF it will cost much less i mean much less.The paperwork is all pretty basic and you can do it by yourself there is just lots of that paperwork shit ask me i've done it. But its no hassle doing it yourself you'l save the pennies. :done:

James Deuce
21st October 2008, 18:11
My eyebrows have gone up so far I have two hairy smiles on the back of my bald head.

Best Victor Meldrew impression: " I cannot belieeeeve it!".

426crasher
27th October 2008, 12:13
Can I bring my dog?

Hi there silver no problem bringing your dog over and if it was born in the UK there is no quarantine period. We moved over from hull 6 years ago and flew our dog over. We used some guy based right near heathrow airport and he was spot on with everything. It is a bummer here being able to ride your bike all year round but you do get used to it. I do 3 times the miles here that i used to manage in pomgolia.
Cheers Tony.

James Deuce
27th October 2008, 14:41
And so it continues.

old git
27th October 2008, 17:29
Loads of us have done it...............PM me and i'll help you.

James Deuce
27th October 2008, 17:40
AAAAAH

AAAAAAAAAAAGH

AIEEEEEEEEEE

Gott in Himmel!

He posted in October 2005. He's never been back.

Stop it, stop it, stop it!!

Gaaaaaaaaah

Fatjim
27th October 2008, 18:19
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaah