PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking Drive Belt

SEAGULL
3rd October 2005, 12:04
Hi all, Have a 86 softail custom with rubber drive belt and wondered if anyone can suggest something that I can eliminate the squeeking rubber sound, especially when it gets wet, also how the belt can easily be cleaned without taking off the primary etc, etc. Would appreciate some ideas :niceone:

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 13:21
Dunno mate, mines a Sporty and I can clean the belt (doen't need it much) when it's on the bike.

As for the squeaking - I haven't found a way to stop it, I find my belt is worse when moving it slowly i.e. in the gargre, or taking off, once on the road it's no problem.

I tried wiping the sides of it with silicone but can't say I noticed any difference.

jrandom
3rd October 2005, 13:22
buy a proper bike.

one with shaft drive.

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 13:23
buy a proper bike.

one with shaft drive.

That would be a car, right?

Lou Girardin
3rd October 2005, 14:22
buy a proper bike.

one with shaft drive.

Is that the black private dick model?

Paul in NZ
3rd October 2005, 14:27
Hi all, Have a 86 softail custom with rubber drive belt and wondered if anyone can suggest something that I can eliminate the squeeking rubber sound, especially when it gets wet, also how the belt can easily be cleaned without taking off the primary etc, etc. Would appreciate some ideas :niceone:

Probably got a smurf jammed up there.. Common problem on those things mate.. They get attracted to all the chrome bits and then start thinking of finding a nice warm home for the winter and...

If it's just squeaking you are still OK but if you hear a sharp snap followed by a groan and a little pool of blue liquid appears underneath it.... Well... Not nice..

cowpoos
3rd October 2005, 20:24

armor-all......worked on a old neighbours H-D

I think he did it quite often...aparently it protects rubber from drying out and from sunlight...Which some how must of stopped the squeaks...

Waylander
3rd October 2005, 20:39
buy a proper bike.

one with shaft drive.
Hehe Finally something we agree on. Though I have been naughty recently aye Scumdog...

SEAGULL
3rd October 2005, 21:16
Thanks Guys, will try the Armor-all, sounds like that could be the stuff. Oh by the way Lou How's the wear & tear on your tyres? Ihave read articles from top bike testers thathe shaft drives put a lot of strain on one side of the tyre, have not noticed the tyre wearing more on the left????

Paul in NZ
4th October 2005, 08:21
Thanks Guys, will try the Armor-all, sounds like that could be the stuff. Oh by the way Lou How's the wear & tear on your tyres? Ihave read articles from top bike testers thathe shaft drives put a lot of strain on one side of the tyre, have not noticed the tyre wearing more on the left????

Well one things for sure.. We would all be better off not reading road tests... and... Last time I looked, Lous bandit's are chain drive... ;-)

I'd go easy on the armor all on the drive belts untill you do a bit of investigation. It could weaken them as it can make come fabrics a bit too soft. Same with silicone sprays etc.

CRC or some other spray can folks do make a drive belt dressing to improve grip on V belts and the like. That migh be a better lubricant? Just a thought!

Paul N

I'll bet there is a screaming eagle additive that you could use or have I just given away my million dollar idea...

SlideMoto
4th October 2005, 20:04
Hey SEAGULL. My dad just sprays a shitload of silicone spray on his Widglide belt. XLS is the brand I think. Comes in a green can. It works good as but I think the pullies get rough on the sides and thats what causes the belt to squeek when it gets older. Also whod have guessed a 86 softail would still actually go.