PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Honda cbr500 R steering pulls to one side when turning

JK_1027
26th July 2016, 22:47
Sorry not sure if this the right place to post.

I recently brought a cbr500r, last owner have drop the bike damaged the headlight, fairing and rear break leaver. (Fork looks fine)

Have replace all that and when for ride.

Notice when I turn either left or right it pulls to that side, it's worst when in low speed.

What could be the problem?

Please help !!!

OddDuck
26th July 2016, 23:00
Check your tyre pressures, especially your front. If the tyres are getting a bit flat this can happen, it wouldn't have to be crash damage.

haydes55
27th July 2016, 08:33
Have you lifted the front end off the ground and checked for any free play or binding in the bearings?

Is the frame bent? Do a wheel alignment, measure the wheelbase axel to axel and check against honda specifications.

Is the rear swing arm tight? Chain correctly adjusted?

Tire pressures ok?

mouldy
28th July 2016, 10:17
what are the tyres like , when they wear the back goes square and the front goes pointy . It takes are shove on the bars to get it off the flat on the back and then it drops in on the pointy front . Also check head bearings as this can amplify the feeling

SVboy
29th July 2016, 18:12
Lift the front. Undo all your triple clamp bolts that hold the forks in. Retorque each bolt to factory value. A drop may well have tweaked your forks.

jellywrestler
29th July 2016, 18:22
Lift the front. Undo all your triple clamp bolts that hold the forks in. Retorque each bolt to factory value. A drop may well have tweaked your forks.

between undoing them and doing them up rotate a fork at a time and if it's tight it's bent, undo one side at a time and sort this

F5 Dave
29th July 2016, 22:31
Lift the front off the ground. Blocks under engine, or at a pinch mate holding it on the side standup in the air at front.

Grasp the front wheel. It should turn without impediment. Any knotchyness or overtightening needs to be sorted. Head bearings can do this.

WristTwister
29th July 2016, 22:57
Sorry not sure if this the right place to post.

I recently brought a cbr500r, last owner have drop the bike damaged the headlight, fairing and rear break leaver. (Fork looks fine)

Have replace all that and when for ride.

Notice when I turn either left or right it pulls to that side, it's worst when in low speed.

What could be the problem?

Please help !!!

If you sit on the bike and point the front wheel straight ahead, are the clip-ons aligned? I wonder if the clip-ons or forks might have become misaligned on the side the bike fell on.
BTW: At higher speeds you'd be counter-steering.

AllanB
30th July 2016, 15:29

What side? Your statement above implies if you turn left it pulls left, right it pulls right.

Blackbird
30th July 2016, 15:47
If you want to check wheel alignment, you can either use the old string method which is well documented on the 'net or build yourself a laser rig for a few bucks, using a laser pen. I built mine in 2003 and have used it since then, making it slightly simpler over that time. You can get the general idea here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/2010/03/wheel-alignment-improve-your-handling.html

nzspokes
30th July 2016, 15:56
As the OP has not been back since posting this he has either fixed it or crashed.

SVboy
31st July 2016, 10:39
A bit stunned at the quality and depth of advice given here. KB showing it can do well when it tries!