PDA

View Full Version : Guy Martin shatters landspeed record

Jin
12th August 2016, 10:37
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/triumph-shatters-landspeed-record/ar-BBvtH8w?li=BBnbfcL

This dude is a living legend!

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 10:44
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/triumph-shatters-landspeed-record/ar-BBvtH8w?li=BBnbfcL

Ummmmm...not quite. Still can't match the dirty old Harleys from 1990. They managed 322mph/518kph, a record that stood for a record 16 years. Took two turboed Suzuki engines to beat it. Nice try though.

EJK
12th August 2016, 11:02
"Motorbike"

Impressive stats and engineering tho

The Triumph Infor Rocket features a carbon Kevlar monocoque construction with two turbocharged Triumph Rocket III engines producing a combined 1,000 bhp at 9,000 rpm.

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 11:20
"Motorbike"

Not even. Long way to go for that yet.

Virago
12th August 2016, 12:16

Did you read the article?

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 12:23

Too busy watching nakid men fighting.:laugh:

Jin
12th August 2016, 13:02
Yes. Why do you ask?

Too busy watching nakid men fighting.:laugh:
Do you have any other shit movies you'd like to recommend?

Virago
12th August 2016, 13:12
Yes. Why do you ask?

So you'll be aware that he rode the world's fastest Triumph? A loooong way short of the landspeed record.

Kickaha
12th August 2016, 13:33
So you'll be aware that he rode the world's fastest Triumph? A loooong way short of the landspeed record.

Well he did become the fastest Triumph after 46 years and tripling the engine capacity they originally used, edit: and turboing them

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 13:34
Do you have any other shit movies you'd like to recommend?

As in movies about shit? Getting all interested now?

pritch
12th August 2016, 16:29
This attempt was just the team and Martin learning how to drive the thing, but it was a promising start. They are due back at Bonneville at the end of the month to attempt to reach 400mph.

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 16:47
This attempt was just the team and Martin learning how to drive the thing, but it was a promising start. They are due back at Bonneville at the end of the month to attempt to reach 400mph.

Yeah was def a good start. 400 will be incredibly hard to do.

Drew
12th August 2016, 17:39

Be a fucken terrifying experience. Word from everyone who first sets off down the salt flats. "Fuck it's rough. Flat my arse!"

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 17:57
Be a fucken terrifying experience. Word from everyone who first sets off down the salt flats. "Fuck it's rough. Flat my arse!"

Tucked in your little cocoon...

Drew
12th August 2016, 18:02
Tucked in your little cocoon...

Not my idea of a good time...but I do drink a lot. Anything is possible.

george formby
12th August 2016, 18:47
I take my hat off to Guy Martin, a big name in TT, more by personality than prizes but I don't doubt his ability or underpant size, a movie main man, a documentary regular, truck mechanic, TV personality and multi-discipline record breaker. Reads great but that is absolute dedication to life, he's busy.

The thought of a Turbo Rocket III celebration bike has me pondering. What a laugh!

The dude loves speed and is very good at it. GM had a crack at the worlds fastest sledge record if irrc.

Trade_nancy
12th August 2016, 19:21

No harder than cornering on a harley or making one that looks newer than 1952...

Grumph
12th August 2016, 19:31
The hard bit about LSR work has moved from simply getting enough HP to putting it down on the salt.
Like so much in motorsport now it's all about the electronics - wheelspeed sensors stopping wheelspin, more electronics stopping overrevs when it does spin.
All the pilot can do now is pin it and rely on his electronic engineers...
Sound familiar ?

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 19:54
No harder than cornering on a harley or making one that looks newer than 1952...

Well they still haven't made 4.6l of twin turbo engine go as fast as a twin engined Harley yet...so stranger things have happened I guess...they may get there.

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 19:56
The hard bit about LSR work has moved from simply getting enough HP to putting it down on the salt.
Like so much in motorsport now it's all about the electronics - wheelspeed sensors stopping wheelspin, more electronics stopping overrevs when it does spin.
Sound familiar ?

Harley engines were so good for it because of their power delivery. Great for traction. Way less HP than they're getting to use now. But no electronics involved...

Grumph
12th August 2016, 20:02
Harley engines were so good for it because of their power delivery. Great for traction. Way less HP than they're getting to use now. But no electronics involved...

Is George Smith still alive ? wasn't it his carbs and nitro tuning knowledge that got the HD up there ?

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 20:37
Is George Smith still alive ? wasn't it his carbs and nitro tuning knowledge that got the HD up there ?

Not sure mate. Think it was a rig with two shovel engines both with turbos. Not sure what they were drinking.

jellywrestler
12th August 2016, 21:54
Well they still haven't made 4.6l of twin turbo engine go as fast as a twin engined Harley yet...so stranger things have happened I guess...they may get there.

it's only practice time, slowly slowly catch a monkey Pete

Crasherfromwayback
12th August 2016, 22:49
it's only practice time, slowly slowly catch a monkey Pete

Appreciate that mate. Just giving them a wind up...

Racing Dave
13th August 2016, 07:50
Sound familiar ?

Indeed. Photos from MCN.

Racing Dave
13th August 2016, 07:52

They haven't made Guy's Triumph 4.6 litres, either. Sorry about the foreign lingo, but I can't find the English version.

From Motociclismo:

Juntos han puesto sobre la pista una moto con chasis monocasco de carbono con un motor de 2970cc (dos Rocket III juntos) capaz de superar la barrera de los 1.000 cv y un par de 677 Nm.

Drew
13th August 2016, 08:54
They shrunk the motors to get to revs I would guess.

merv
13th August 2016, 10:19

Some old bloke with an Indian found the same thing back in the 1960's riding on chocolate thin tyres with a brandy cork for a fuel cap or something like that.

Big Dog
13th August 2016, 11:47
They haven't made Guy's Triumph 4.6 litres, either. Sorry about the foreign lingo, but I can't find the English version.

From Motociclismo:

Juntos han puesto sobre la pista una moto con chasis monocasco de carbono con un motor de 2970cc (dos Rocket III juntos) capaz de superar la barrera de los 1.000 cv y un par de 677 Nm.
Google translate reads that as:
Together they have put on the track, a bike with carbon monocoque chassis with an 2970cc engine (two Rocket III together) able to overcome the barrier of 1,000 hp and 677 Nm a few.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Crasherfromwayback
13th August 2016, 13:05

From Motociclismo:

Google translate reads that as:
Together they have put on the track, a bike with carbon monocoque chassis with an 2970cc engine (two Rocket III together) able to overcome the barrier of 1,000 hp and 677 Nm a few.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

That makes sense! Still a good effort first time out. And best of luck to them.

pritch
26th August 2016, 14:20
The record attempt was scheduled for the end of August but has been postponed. The salt flats were not in optimum condition and it is hoped the salt will have improved during September.

IIRC some months back the salt was too wet and all racing was cancelled for a while, this may be a hang on from that?

scumdog
26th August 2016, 22:02

Yeah, never fall over on the shit, take my word for it!

actungbaby
31st August 2016, 18:48
Yeah, never fall over on the shit, take my word for it!

yeah i imagine salt in your wonds not great

F5 Dave
1st September 2016, 20:25
Maybe I should buy meself a Hyobang and go catch me a LSR for the worlds only Korean brand entered.

I was going to say Zundaap but where the heck would I find one and Husa will be along to state some 60s attempt of 500mph or some such But the didn't manage the 2nd run in time and had to catch an early flight.

Grumph
4th September 2016, 09:49
Maybe I should buy meself a Hyobang and go catch me a LSR for the worlds only Korean brand entered.

I was going to say Zundaap but where the heck would I find one and Husa will be along to state some 60s attempt of 500mph or some such But the didn't manage the 2nd run in time and had to catch an early flight.

Pretty sure there's no Bucket record in the book. No reason why it shouldn't be...
Would the MB hold together that long........

F5 Dave
4th September 2016, 19:39
not so far. . . actually with that plain pin its been reliable

actungbaby
10th September 2016, 15:51
Some old bloke with an Indian found the same thing back in the 1960's riding on chocolate thin tyres with a brandy cork for a fuel cap or something like that.

Yeah right on mate intrests me more just a bike and rider

carbs even down to the skill of the pilot.

Vincent black shadow deisned back in the 40,s

!86 mph down the tram road . even that clown in his porche

Chouldint manage that, ended up mangling his arm .

Phil irving a Enginerring genius . its not all about hp

Torque , for understressed Engine to do 186 mph

and twin to boot .

Looked those pics all that flash bling and shocks

computer lap top and look crappy front tire hehe.

maybe they should put more to tire budget . for some

soild alloy rims ;-)

Blackbird
10th September 2016, 16:52
Read an interesting article recently about Bloodhound SSC, the British car (missile?) which is going for the land speed record next year and 1000 mph in 2018. The current LSR of just above mach 1 was set way back in 1997. Give or take a couple of years, it's taken all the time in between to develop a vehicle and systems which has a shot of reaching the target speed with some impressive financial backing and access to top technology. As well as the car itself, finding and preparing a track was quite a mission (South Africa).

The author made an interesting point that whilst records will still be broken, the cost and time involved means that record-setting at the very sharp end of the business will be a pretty rare event. Whilst this doesn't yet apply to cars and bikes in classes at lower speeds, you can definitely see that it's moving away from the gifted amateur.

pritch
10th September 2016, 21:22
And Guy Martin is heading back to Bonneville.

pritch
13th September 2016, 21:58
This from Triumph today,

"The Triumph Infor Rocket Streamliner will attempt to break the Motorcycle Land Speed Record of 376.8mph this week on the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah.

Following a successful test session in August Guy Martin will return to the Salt Flats between the 13th and 16th of September and attempt to pilot the Triumph Infor Rocket Streamliner into the record books, reclaiming Triumph's position as the "world's fastest motorcycle"."

pritch
19th September 2016, 14:04
It would seem the team is conducting a reevaluation. Martin has crshed the bike twice at low speed in the last couple of days because of soft salt conditions. Neither Martin nor the vehicle suffered damage.

jellywrestler
19th September 2016, 14:22
It would seem the team is conducting a reevaluation. Martin has crshed the bike twice at low speed in the last couple of days because of soft salt conditions. Neither Martin nor the vehicle suffered damage.

there's quite a number of teams trying to break 400mph, but nobody apart from guy is even taking their bikes out of the trailers as the salt is not right...

Brett
22nd September 2016, 17:26

Harley engines are also great for powering tractors...

Crasherfromwayback
22nd September 2016, 17:40
Harley engines are also great for powering tractors...

Haven't heard that one before... :innocent:

One day, do yourself a favour, and ride a powerful one. You may well be pleasantly surprised. You will note how long it took someone to beat the HD powered record...

Brett
23rd September 2016, 11:15
Haven't heard that one before... :innocent:

One day, do yourself a favour, and ride a powerful one. You may well be pleasantly surprised. You will note how long it took someone to beat the HD powered record...

I am being deeply disingenuous mate and throwing out the usual Harley=Tractor play. In reality, I actually enjoy riding them. Sportsbikes & motards still more my thing, but I like Harleys plenty!

Crasherfromwayback
23rd September 2016, 11:49
In reality, I actually enjoy riding them. Sportsbikes & motards still more my thing, but I like Harleys plenty!

Oh hey, my roots are big Japanese sports bikes and dirt bikes. But yep, I enjoy riding HDs too. Horses for courses and all that.

F5 Dave
23rd September 2016, 12:46
Horses for courses and all that.[/QUOTE]

Taxidermy and the flogging of a. . . ?
:innocent:

Drew
23rd September 2016, 22:35
Taxidermy and the flogging of a. . . ?
:innocent:

For a rider of as many years as you Dave, ya sure seem to struggle with the idea that what you perceive as a good bike to ride might be an expandable thing.

F5 Dave
24th September 2016, 07:14
Bit like if you over-inflate your sex doll?

Drew
24th September 2016, 07:57
Bit like if you over-inflate your sex doll?

NAh man. I go for a three psi increase from cold.

Metastable
8th October 2016, 10:14
So on the way back from a trip to California my friend and decided to stop by the Salt Flats.... we were going to just check it out, since it was right next to the interstate. A few things were striking.
1 - the salt flat is HUGE!!!!! Massive
2 - in many spots the salt isn't hard... you'd get stuck in a 2wd vehicle
3 - it just happened that motorcycle speed trials were happening that day and the next. However we got to the gate area just after they had finished for the day.
4 - We could have come back the next day and if you passed tech inspection you could race.
5 - Although we could see it in the FAR FAR distance, we didn't get close to the actual "track", so we couldn't see how smooth it was..... but honestly I'd rather be on smooth pavement. :D The salt isn't confidence inspiring.

Apparently Guy was around during those days... never saw him... however.... there was a cute lady riding a KTM 1190 like a boss. :D

Here is the entrance..... that's as far as we got. (dunno what happened to that dudes upper body :D )
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Bonneville+Salt+Flats/@40.7621973,-113.894683,3a,75y,161.67h,90.03t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-ubiayrl6uv8%2FV8MfZtlVesI%2FAAAAAAAC9eg%2F7-IXq_ht6hcoQ7g8Kwg2hmZOaVI7ODODwCLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F %2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-ubiayrl6uv8%2FV8MfZtlVesI%2FAAAAAAAC9eg%2F7-IXq_ht6hcoQ7g8Kwg2hmZOaVI7ODODwCLIB%2Fw172-h86-n-k-no%2F!7i5454!8i2726!4m5!3m4!1s0x80ac39c47cd112bd:0 x4076930f09544f7a!8m2!3d40.7787454!4d-113.8352043!6m1!1e1