PDA

View Full Version : The Central Otago Weekender

Virago
3rd October 2005, 21:43
Mrs V and I just enjoyed a weekend trip to Cromwell. It was a wonderful weekend for riding around Central Otago, with mainly clear skies and temperatures around 20 degrees, not too hot or too cold.

We took the opportunity to enjoy our favourite loop ride, from Cromwell to Wanaka, over the Crown Range to Queenstown, then back to Cromwell via the Kawarau Gorge. This is an absolutely amazing ride, and is so much fun we did it twice! Throughout the trip the scenery is stunning. Photos attached of each of us at the summit of the Crown Range, looking down toward Queenstown.

I usually do the Crown Range from the Wanaka end, but found the series of hair-pin bends on the Queenstown side to be more fun going uphill, especially when two-up.

For those who have not had the chance to ride around the centre of the South Island, there's some great rides here to try!

Waylander
3rd October 2005, 21:47
So you're the one hogging all the good weather.:whistle: Think you can see your way into sending some up here this weekend? lol

Great pics mate, wish my Virago still looked that good.:crybaby:

zadok
3rd October 2005, 23:18
That sounds like a nice trip. Will have to do the Sth Is. one day with the missus. The sceney must be awesome.

scumdog
3rd October 2005, 23:29
Good one V. I'm jealous :crybaby:

All I had for fun was a pepper-sprayed idiot to listen to.

BTW You have to watch it when going up the Crown Range road from Q'town end, easy to get hung up watching the hang-gliders launching and think the road carries straight on to where they are - and get caught out with the hidden tight bends in between :shit: :eek5:

LB
4th October 2005, 04:19
Wonderful piece of road..... You guys have such lovely scenery/roads down there (Not that we don't have some good ones too, but not to the same extent. And we have more traffic.)

Virago
4th October 2005, 07:51
Wonderful piece of road..... You guys have such lovely scenery/roads down there (Not that we don't have some good ones too, but not to the same extent. And we have more traffic.)
Not much traffic as you say, but what traffic there is, is mainly tourists in campervans and hire cars. You have to be vigilant... .

Hitcher
4th October 2005, 07:52
Sigh. Deeper sigh...