PDA

View Full Version : 98-01 Kawasaki ZX6R

750Y
2nd February 2004, 20:58
I'll have a go...
this bike is a fantastic allrounder although more suited to the quick road riding end of the spectrum.
Speed: top end is 250 plus so it's really fast allround. 8/10
Handling: really trustworthy & planted, awesome round corners. 9/10
Comfort: very, great commuter although long trips from akld to wgtn will give you a sore backside if you're sitting prone for too long at legal speeds. 7.5/10
economy: amazing, it can get over 320kms to a tank on the road depending.
9.5/10
looks: personal taste. the 00/01 has twin headlights.
finish/quality: my impression is excellent finish(paint etc) & solid mechanicals. 9/10
servicing: service intervals a bit closer than yamaha/suzuki etc. 7/10
bottom line:
it's a road-race replica type bike with comfort only second to the similar year cbr600's. on the road, a good rider would keep up with nearly anything except obviously the biggest bikes on the straights. not a sportstourer tho but good compromise.

wari
3rd February 2004, 00:47
:niceone: 750Y

magnum
26th October 2004, 20:38
i agree,mines a 99.good writeup. :ride:

NinjaBoy
28th October 2004, 20:47
Good writeup. I've had mine (96 ZX6R) for the last 6 years and never had a mechanical problem. But I find it doesn't take much for it to heat up when commuting. Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Hitcher
28th October 2004, 21:42
It's a Kawasaki. What did you expect?

Shawn
28th October 2004, 22:06
hey ninjaboy, do u work at northshore?

NinjaBoy
28th October 2004, 22:14
Ya I do. Commuting on two wheels is saving me lotsa time and frustration.

Shawn
29th October 2004, 17:20
true that. DO u work at 'the warehouse way' by any chance

NinjaBoy
29th October 2004, 19:41
true that. DO u work at 'the warehouse way' by any chance

Have you been stalking me ?! :ride: Ya I do. Do you work close by ?

JohnBoy
31st October 2004, 09:19
But I find it doesn't take much for it to heat up when commuting. Has anyone else had the same problem ?
i dont, i have a radiator the size of a small child. but when i went to the cold kiwi, after about a k or so of off road drifting and rooster tailling the zed throw a small tantrum and pissed its cooling fluid out.:mad:
i have only found that this happens when you overfill it, even just ever so slightly.

scroter
10th November 2004, 13:59
i agree,mines a 99.good writeup. :ride:

what about the low pegs

Quasievil
10th November 2004, 14:36
Hey Steve thanks for the BRM magazine write up on my ZXR636, I spoke to heath at Hamilton Motorcycles he confirmed its my actual bike !!!! how cool is that.

Cheers again mate, hope to see you in Taupo ???

MrMelon
10th November 2004, 16:58
Good writeup. I've had mine (96 ZX6R) for the last 6 years and never had a mechanical problem. But I find it doesn't take much for it to heat up when commuting. Has anyone else had the same problem ?

Mine heats up to the half way point on the temp gauge pretty quickly when I'm stopped in traffic. But it goes back down to normal temp just as quickly when I get moving again.

magnum
10th November 2004, 19:52
what about the low pegs
hey gave me the only incentive to get my knee down,finally. :msn-wink:

Toast
22nd November 2005, 11:05
Well, as my first 'big' bike is now sold, and I've moved on to something else, I thought I'd write my own review to aid anyone who is looking at one of these bikes in the future.

Mine was the US version, which is identical to the 2001 UK version (the 2002 UK version became 636cc, but still the same chassis, 2003 was when they became hard-core maniacs). I got it from Red Baron with 18,000kms on the clock, and 8 months later, she's done nearly 34,000. That's 16,000 trouble free, everything I could throw at it kilometres. It was standard when I got it, and I put an Akrapovic Ti pipe (standard is very quiet), and a DNA air filter on it. It also had a double bubble smoke screen.

Do I love this bike?
Hell yes!!

Why do I love this bike?
Well, as a 'spirited' road rider, who has enjoyed the odd track day, the thing I love most about it is the understatement (relatively), and the relatively humble reputation it holds. There has been many a time when this bike has been discounted by recently met riding buddies as a 'sports-tourer', and the assumption made that she won't cut it when the pace hots up...HAHA! As 750Y said, there is not that much in the sportsbike world that will cut it with a well ridden bike of this vintage on the real roads of NZ. And that is the truth. I honestly don't think that I'd be able to ride my new (to me) 2003 ZX636 as effortlessly quick on the road as I could this bike. Two days after I bought this bike, and after telling myself that I can't afford to bin it so I'll take it easy, I had removed the previous owner's chicken strips from the tyres with a trip to the Coromandel...it's that confidence inspiring from the off. After 8 months with her, I was getting consistent 1:09s at Puke, on stock suspension settings (too soft for track), and being held up by traffic in many parts (over 20 bikes there that day, annoyingly).

Why did I sell her?
Well, although I still had more to learn on her, the progress was getting slower. I felt it was time to step up to something a bit more aggressive, a bit more hardcore, and really push myself, as I hope to get in to F3 when the $ become available (just finished Uni). The choice for this 'journey' of learning is an '03 636. It's comparatively rock hard (suspension set-up to come), has manic power in the upper-mid range and top-end, a more focused riding position, crap mirrors, average instrumentation, worse fuel economy and I'm not expecting it to be half as good an 'all rounder'. But then that's not the point :)

Ratings for 2000-2002 ZX6R:

Engine: 9/10 Sweet as. 101 hp at back wheel (with pipe and air filter). Being carbed she doesn't love cold starts, but once warmed, no dramas. Very smooth power (except a rough spot at 3-4k rpm owing to aftermarket filter and Akrapovic pipe). I serviced it every 5000kms, and never had a hint of a problem. The appraisal by Red Baron when she was sold said she was in fine health :niceone: Was getting 260 on the speedo at Puke, and that's with a pretty average entry to the back straight, so someone better than me could probably get more out of her.

Brakes: 8.5/10 Impressive sounding three-piston calipers. Initial bite is somewhat lacking, but there is heaps of power there when you really squeeze 'em. From the aformentioned 260 at Puke, I was able to brake just past the 200m marker, and there was still more to come for a better rider (and perhaps with some suspension set-up). Feel is not bad, but I was really hoping to get some braided lines on her (but then I sold her).

Handling: Track - 8/10, Road - 9.8/10. On the road, the shiz, as explained. Super stable, doesn't mind the bumps, turns in plenty fast, slides nicely (on Pilot Powers), lots of communication from the front (near bins due to road work gravel were saved), and enough from the rear. The odd headshake, but I think I can count serious ones on one hand.
On the track, she's not as eager to turn in as some bikes, and it's harder to hold a tight line. The pegs are also a little low, and last time at Puke I decked it out on every corner (though I don't hang off heaps (haven't got leathers) which is a factor here). Still, even dragging it half way through that rough, dodgy pile of shit corner they call Jennian...no dramas, nice n planted :niceone:

Comfort: 9/10 Damn nice. A 5 hour blast to Coro and elsewhere has the joints feeling just fine :) The stretch to the bars is actually much shorter than the CBR's of the time, which you may or may not like. With the double bubble screen fitted, sitting up straightish put the wind blast right over my head (6 foot tall).

Practicality: 9/10 Fuel range is awesome!!! With care, you'll get nearly 300kms before reserve, and very brisk, top gear road riding will still get you over 260kms. On the track, reserve comes by at about 130/140...still not bad, that's about 14 litres I believe (before reserve). Under the rear seat is enough to fit an approximately 500ml can of chain lube, a puncture repair kit, a tool kit, and a rag. Very reliable for me, as I said.

Character: Subjective, ofcourse, but this is an unlikely bike to be accused of being a Honda :p

So in summary: pretty much what 750Y said :p

If you're thinking about one of these bikes, and most of your riding is fast road stuff, you'll likely find exactly what you want...and then...that's amore :love:

PS: never had a problem with overheating, far from it actually.

2_SL0
22nd November 2005, 11:29
Nice write up, nices bikes, but Im biased. :banana: