PDA

View Full Version : North Island: 1KC (1,000 Km Cruise)

KoroJ
19th August 2016, 21:47
These events are coming to you from The NZ Distance Riders and entries can be made here: http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/ There is also a Facebook page: NZ Distance Riders.

The 1KC is an informal ride for all riders from hardened endurance riding veterans to those barely off restricted. For North Islanders that thought the North Island 1600 might be fun but want something a bit easier first, or the Iron Butts that just want a decent daylight ride....and it's all for a good cause, Muscular Dystrophy.

We try to choose flowy routes that are a blend of easy riding with some of our favourite wee fangs. This year's offerings should provide another pleasant wee pootle, hopefully with maybe a couple of new roads to some.

The $20 is required at time of registration please and we have to order the badges, so these can’t be guaranteed for entries received after 12/10/14. Account details will be supplied on application.

As per previous years, Ride Instructions, Checkpoint Photos and a Briefing will be emailed the week before the event.

PS: The money raised for the MDA goes towards a fund that is used to buy presents for children with muscular dystrophy. Many thanks to all those riders that have tried the ride, and if you don’t want to ride, feel free to donate anyway.

KoroJ
19th August 2016, 21:47
The 1KC North(1000K Cruise)

Saturday 05 November

Departs: Ruakura Campus Club, off Ruakura Rd, Hamilton.
Check-in opens 0630 - 0700. Depart when you're ready

Route is ≈1,009km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
Hamilton - Whatawhata – ?* - Glen Afton* - Rangiriri – Mangatangi* - Kopuarahi* - Lake Matahina* - Taupo - Waiouru* - Kakatahi* - National Park - Bennydale* - Waipapa dam* - Ruakura Campus Club
Refreshments & Meals available at Compus Club to enjoy over the trading of lies.

Entry Fee: $20 (Covers Badge &/or Year Bar plus proceeds to Muscular Dystrophy)
To guarantee a badge, entry must be in by 12/10/16

Badges & Certificates awarded on sighting Check-Point evidence at completion of the ride.

As an informal ride, you and your bike are your responsibility to ensure both are capable of completing the course. There is no recovery vehicle organised.
A register of riders will be kept to ensure everyone returns.
There are Spot Prizes funded by Protecta Insurance, who have also made a generous donation to the Muscular Dystrophy coffers.
It is not a race and should be easily doable at a sedate pace with stops…enjoy the ride.

The ride will go ahead rain, hail or shine….probably....or pending the Wed/Thurs forecast.

Enquiries & Registrations here:–
http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the-1000km-cruise-the-1kc.html

KoroJ
19th August 2016, 21:48
The 1KC South (1000K Cruise)

Saturday 05 November

Departs: Caltex Rimutaka, Upper Hutt.
Check-in opens 0630 - 0700. Depart when you're ready
Organised Start also from Masterton and the Manawatu Riders start early to restart from Welly then finish back at Palmy. Details TBA.

Route is ≈1,014km via: (* denotes digital pic required)
Rimutakas - Masterton - Castlepoint* - Riversdale* - Pahiatua – Kai Iwi* - Raurimu* - Kuratau* - Waiouru* - Kakatahi*- Backbencher Pub
Refreshments & Meals available at the Backbencher to enjoy over the trading of lies.

Entry Fee: $20 (Covers Badge &/or Year Bar plus proceeds to Muscular Dystrophy)
To guarantee a badge, entry must be in by 12/10/16

Badges & Certificates awarded on sighting Check-Point evidence at completion of the ride.

As an informal ride, you and your bike are your responsibility to ensure both are capable of completing the course. There is no recovery vehicle organised.
A register of riders will be kept to ensure everyone returns.
There are Spot Prizes funded by Protecta Insurance, who have also made a generous donation to the Muscular Dystrophy coffers.
It is not a race and should be easily doable at a sedate pace with stops…enjoy the ride.

The ride will go ahead rain, hail or shine….probably....or pending the Wed/Thurs forecast.

Enquiries & Registrations here:–
http://www.distanceriders.org.nz/the-1000km-cruise-the-1kc.html

KoroJ
19th August 2016, 21:50
But wait, there’s more…

Hear Ye, hear ye …….This year is the 10th anniversary of a 1,000km ride out of Wellington, so to mark the occasion, we thought we should do something special. Some might think that the organisers should offer an extension, but not so ….we are offering an option for experienced distance riders to enjoy more corners!!

The ‘Super Thou’ is on but the prerequisite to attempt this option is that a rider must have completed a Grand Challenge, Chato Creek or Nth Island 1600 ride; or a TT2000; or 3 C1KC/1KC rides. This is because, although the option is still only 1,013km, it is very technical and we anticipate it will probably take experienced distance riders 14 hours or more to complete. And it’s not suitable for pillions.

So if you don’t meet the prerequisite conditions, you could still qualify for this by riding in this year’s NI1600 on 8-9 October.

The ‘Super Thou’ will include roads like:
The Rimutakas – Castlepoint and Riversdale roads – Route 52 – The Track - Middle Rd – Gentle Annie – Fields Track - Paraparas

If you meet the entry criteria and want to attempt this option:
a. Contact NZ Distance Riders to confirm eligibility.
b. Submit your entry and payment as per usual.
c. Dream about corners, practice riding corners, shuck your training wheels and get your lean on!

veldthui
20th August 2016, 11:22
But wait, there’s more…

Hear Ye, hear ye …….This year is the 10th anniversary of a 1,000km ride out of Wellington, so to mark the occasion, we thought we should do something special. Some might think that the organisers should offer an extension, but not so ….we are offering an option for experienced distance riders to enjoy more corners!!

Have you got a date for this ride? Sounds good but would need to fit with my roster pattern if I was to do it.
Thanks.

KoroJ
14th September 2016, 17:31
As per above - 05 November 2016.

With entries to be in by 12 October ....which is only a month away now!

veldthui
14th September 2016, 19:33
As per above - 05 November 2016.

With entries to be in by 12 October ....which is only a month away now!

Blast. I was hoping for a separate date so I could do the Hamilton 1KC and the Wellington extra. Oh well.

insomnia01
14th September 2016, 20:26
Could be keen !!! :ride::ride::ride::ride:

KoroJ
18th September 2016, 10:39
Could be keen !!! :ride::ride::ride::ride:

Keen for what? Pootling around the north, or hammering out a Super Thou in the south? ....either way you will get to enjoy Field's Track.

insomnia01
18th September 2016, 11:08
Keen for what? Pootling around the north, or hammering out a Super Thou in the south? ....either way you will get to enjoy Field's Track.

North 1KC for me John, I seem to be enjoying the lighter side of these rides now a days, dont get down to Wellywood as much as in the past must be getting old or something :bs::bs:

KoroJ
12th October 2016, 11:27
Only a week to go for registrations to be assured of a badge.

insomnia01
12th October 2016, 15:20

Can you confirm receipt of my payment & entry form please John? I paid & filled out entry form some weeks ago now, also, with a signed entry sent through to you guys does this mean I don't have to fill out/sign indemnity form on the start line?

banditrider
12th October 2016, 16:51
Entry in and paid John.

Palmy start? Super thou?

Meanie
12th October 2016, 17:44
Entry in and paid John.

Palmy start? Super thou?

Forms filled in and submitted for Monie and I

Palmy start for sure as per all the other years

GrayWolf
6th November 2016, 10:26

Dear John, Brett et al
I hate you all!! You evil bastards! :devil2:

OK so.... I know I threw in a Spyder on the 'super thou'' but, honestly? Do you hate them that much?? :angry2: :argh:
I knew my ride was going to be a 'long one' time wise, as I know most of the roads already, they {spyders} really are 'hard work' steering at any speed on tight bends.
{for those who have no idea of how hard it is, ride the twisty bits on the Pongaroa ride, on a small farm quad} So pacing yourself is required, not speed.

But really? :shit: I got part way down the 'turn off'? from SH49 and even though I am not in any way religious thought, 'help me god'.... :facepalm: he did? The sort of constantly blurry word on the route sheet {obviously whoever's computer printed out the instructions is possessed and needs an Exorcism, or, they are indeed called Damien} suddenly cleared and the true meaning appeared.... GOAT TRACK!! :ar15::ar15: :scratch:

Thanks Guys, tomorrow when I an not so sore and ???? I may love you all and look back on this as an achievement, but not today :killingme:killingme

fantastic ride, cheers :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

KoroJ
6th November 2016, 10:48
Dear John, Brett et al
I hate you all!! You evil bastards! :devil2:

OK so.... I know I threw in a Spyder on the 'super thou'' but, honestly? ........

HeHe...shoulda gone to specsavers!

There was a straighter, sedater 1KC (Sth) version. .....and the blurb did say "for the 10th Anniversary we are offering more corners".

GrayWolf
6th November 2016, 14:12
HeHe...shoulda gone to specsavers!

There was a straighter, sedater 1KC (Sth) version. .....and the blurb did say "for the 10th Anniversary we are offering more corners".

Yeh, I can't see the bit that says you were providing goat tracks :bleh: :laugh:

Seriously though, awesome experience, even if it was 'hard yakka', at least it proves some of us weirdo's who own Spyder's DO actually ride 'em....
Dont think I'll do the 20th anniversary on one though :shutup:

Gremlin
6th November 2016, 14:59
suddenly cleared and the true meaning appeared.... GOAT TRACK!! :ar15::ar15: :scratch:
If it's sealed it's not a true goat track ;)

GrayWolf
6th November 2016, 15:49
If it's sealed it's not a true goat track ;)

say that AFTER riding it on something with the footprint size of a suzuki alto :shutup::shutup:

That road really was challenging after all the 'warm up' bits :laugh:

Meanie
7th November 2016, 14:30
Yeh, I can't see the bit that says you were providing goat tracks :bleh: :laugh:

Seriously though, awesome experience, even if it was 'hard yakka', at least it proves some of us weirdo's who own Spyder's DO actually ride 'em....
Dont think I'll do the 20th anniversary on one though :shutup:

Funny, thats what my wife said, Fields track should be renamed Goat track :laugh:

banditrider
7th November 2016, 16:49
Just for the record - Fields Track was awesome! Should have sent us over Burma Hill...

Write-up: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2016/11/2016-1kc.html

GrayWolf
7th November 2016, 22:52
Just for the record - Fields Track was awesome! Should have sent us over Burma Hill...

Write-up: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2016/11/2016-1kc.html

On the CB I'd have completely agreed with you, by the time I reached F.T. I was getting tired, shoulders/arms stiffening, and had been in the saddle the length of time most of you were reaching Welly again..
I think I was 'allowed' to have a tongue in cheek whinge.... I'm English after all :lol: