PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of used tyres?

Asher
30th August 2016, 11:55
So I have a rather large pile of used tyres that is taking up a large amount of room in my garage.
I could take them to the dump but that would cost several hundred dollars.
Does anyone know of anywhere that would take them that won't break the bank?

Laava
30th August 2016, 12:11
I donate mine to a local cocky who uses them for silage wrap weights. Ask around?

SVboy
30th August 2016, 12:53
See your local tyre shop and negotiate a lower rate, if you can. Contact CCC and check that the dump rate is the same for m/c vs car tyres. Hacksaw tyres in half or quarters. Fill red bin. repeat until gone.

F5 Dave
30th August 2016, 13:09
Sponsor Some sort of mass Soweto style vigilante justice scheme?

Voltaire
30th August 2016, 13:15
In this age of upcycling perhaps a garden, grow some Tomatoes...they will taste rubbery.:innocent:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5d/e8/7e/5de87e827f9b103b6e69b5d2edf92e2d.jpg

or spend hours and hours being creative

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3b/a3/59/3ba359a3baa23b6e22b985a18a69db65.jpg

Grumph
30th August 2016, 13:19
We used to use m/c tyres as shock absorbers on our keeler mooring lines - more give than car tyres.

I think I'd be doing the cut up and put in the bin method myself - most of the silage guys out here have more than enough tyres.

Jeff Sichoe
30th August 2016, 13:31
just throw em down the back mate

ellipsis
30th August 2016, 15:46
...trailer them to the top of Hackthorne Road and let them roll back down at around 4.30 in the afternoon. That would work...

Grumph
30th August 2016, 16:12
...trailer them to the top of Hackthorne Road and let them roll back down at around 4.30 in the afternoon. That would work...

I'd pay to watch that - from a safe distance...

Kickaha
30th August 2016, 18:28
See your local tyre shop and negotiate a lower rate, if you can. Contact CCC and check that the dump rate is the same for m/c vs car tyres. Hacksaw tyres in half or quarters. Fill red bin. repeat until gone.

Probably about $3 per tyre

Cut in quarters it's normally by weight

Taxythingy
30th August 2016, 18:39

Paint them yellow and proclaim Lyttelton's first annual cheese rolling competition. Advertise to Christchurch's hipsters. Light the diesel slick halfway down.

jellywrestler
30th August 2016, 18:45
In this age of upcycling perhaps a garden, grow some Tomatoes...they will taste rubbery.:innocent:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/5d/e8/7e/5de87e827f9b103b6e69b5d2edf92e2d.jpg

or spend hours and hours being creative

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3b/a3/59/3ba359a3baa23b6e22b985a18a69db65.jpg

don't grow anything in modern tyres , they're pretty toxic often being far from rubber....

AllanB
30th August 2016, 18:52
Dump charged me $10 a car tyre in CHCH last year when I was moving house. I threw the others over the fence next door. Little fuck had kept us up too often with drug fueled parties at his shit-hole house in the past. Fucker was lucky they were not on fire when I heaved them over the fence.

Askor
30th August 2016, 20:37
I have around 20 in the corner of my back yard hiding under a tree :whistle: was thinking of cutting them up and putting them in the bin.

Or creating an obstacle course on Blenheim road

AllanB
30th August 2016, 23:07
I have around 20 in the corner of my back yard hiding under a tree :whistle: was thinking of cutting them up and putting them in the bin.

Or creating an obstacle course on Blenheim road

Paint them bright orange and we will all just drive/ride along following your course!

Swoop
2nd September 2016, 20:17
Place over an Auckland Council parking attendant.
Pour liberally with petrol.
Light match and throw at tyre.

Walk away. Job done!

Old Steve
14th September 2016, 09:59
Back around 2000, I attended a recycling conference in Australia as many oil related disposal methods were being discussed. I think NZ has a pretty good system where the used oil replaces fuel in thermal intensive industries - paper and cement making - recycle, reuse, replace, reduce, using used oil as a fuel replaces virgin hydrocarbons and allows them to be used elsewhere.

Someone at the conference presented a paper suggesting that used tires could be reused by shredding them, transporting them to cement plants and using them as fuel - cement making is very thermal intensive. Apparently cement making also requires iron in the material mix as well, so not only would the rubber from the tires provide heat but the tires would provide a free iron contribution in the cement making.

Trouble was the cost of shredding and transport. If a recycling levy was charged on every new tire then there'd be a fund available to shred and transport the tires. But in Australia there seemed to be a political indifference or resistance to imposing a recycling levy on new tires, and there was already a huge backlog of used tires which hadn't contributed to the cost of recycling.

But, you have to start somewhere, sometime, don't you. When the topic came up in the news recently I wrote to Simon Bridges explaining how tires could be used to replace fuel at cement plants, but that same political indifference/inertia seems to apply here in NZ as well. Like the oil recycling initiative, maybe a tire recycling system needs to be driven by the cement makers and the tire industry.

I know people don't support a recycling levy being placed on new (or pre-used) tire sales. Maybe they'll change their minds when (not if) one of the large used tire dumps around the country catches fire. Burning tires produce carcinogens and soot in huge quantities, and are very hard to put out as well.

Kickaha
14th September 2016, 10:15
Someone at the conference presented a paper suggesting that used tires could be reused by shredding them, transporting them to cement plants and using them as fuel - cement making is very thermal intensive. Apparently cement making also requires iron in the material mix as well, so not only would the rubber from the tires provide heat but the tires would provide a free iron contribution in the cement making.

It's been done in other countries and I was told it was trialed here, the steel needs to be separated out and the rubber shredded into smaller chunks than what they could do here before it's burnt

Jeff Sichoe
14th September 2016, 12:12
just dump em in the china sea as payback for taking our fish

Ocean1
14th September 2016, 12:16
It's been done in other countries and I was told it was trialed here, the steel needs to be separated out and the rubber shredded into smaller chunks than what they could do here before it's burnt

You can buy shredders made here that'll do the job.

You don't want to burn them though, bad karma, there's several pyrolysis processes that can turn most of it into reasonable quality fuel safe to burn.

Old Steve
14th September 2016, 13:10
That's why they would have to be burnt in cement kilns, a cement kiln has exceptionally high temperatures and a long dwell time which ensures the complete combustion of the rubber. There's no need for an intermediate, energy intensive process to turn the tires into fuel, the shredded tires just go straight into the kiln with the raw materials. The iron doesn't have to be extracted from the rubber either. As the rubber burns, the steel from the tire belts is chemically associated with the limestone and whatever goes into making cement as an iron contributor to the clinker which goes on to be ground into cement.

Cement kilns are also a viable means of disposing of PCB and PCB contaminated transformer oil, the high temperature and long dwell time completely disassociate the PCB.