PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in hiring out a two bike trailer for a few days or have suggestions

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 21:42
I need something for two road bikes going a long distance like 1800kms round trip leaving on Friday (could pick up Thursday) and bring it back Sunday. I could pick up or drop off anywhere from Wellington to Palmerston North (or fairly close to either like the Hutts or Feilding).
Needs to be something reasonable, road legal. I have friends that use really light bouncy trailers but they freak me out. I've all the strops etc. Be happy to pay proper fee for a good trailer or good quantity of booze.

Looks like I will have to hire a 4wd for the mission so would totally consider a setup van. Could pay deposit.

Otherwise I'll be looking around generally shortly and probably ask places like TSS for suggestions tomorrow, get 4wd hire sorted etc. I have two drivers and no interesting in going crazy in anything with more than two wheels.

I like in Kapiti area if anyone is especially local but I work in Wellington and I am heading north for the pickup.

Cheers for any suggestions etc!

jellywrestler
30th August 2016, 21:57
I need something for two road bikes going a long distance like 1800kms round trip leaving on Friday (could pick up Thursday) and bring it back Sunday. I could pick up or drop off anywhere from Wellington to Palmerston North (or fairly close to either like the Hutts or Feilding).
Needs to be something reasonable, road legal. I have friends that use really light bouncy trailers but they freak me out. I've all the strops etc. Be happy to pay proper fee for a good trailer or good quantity of booze.

Looks like I will have to hire a 4wd for the mission so would totally consider a setup van. Could pay deposit.

Otherwise I'll be looking around generally shortly and probably ask places like TSS for suggestions tomorrow, get 4wd hire sorted etc. I have two drivers and no interesting in going crazy in anything with more than two wheels.

I like in Kapiti area if anyone is especially local but I work in Wellington and I am heading north for the pickup.

Cheers for any suggestions etc!
where is the bike up north?

Big Dog
30th August 2016, 22:40
If your renting a tie vehicle any way would a rental moving trick be cheaper?
Usually have lots of tie down points.
Or a rental van?

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 22:49
where is the bike up north?

Northland area which for me is as far north as I've been in a really long time. Anyone interested in a drop by with a couple of interesting bikes, the dirty 1992 GSXR 750 and the MUCH more interesting mystery bike I'd be keen to drop by particularly if there are some motors to oggle.

I might not have been on KB long but I can tell I'm going to hang out and its unlikely I'd get a drive by chance with anyone up that end for a while. Having said that I will ride mystery bike till my arse caves in at times then I will stand up and ride on.

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 22:53
If your renting a tie vehicle any way would a rental moving trick be cheaper?
Usually have lots of tie down points.
Or a rental van?

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Fair point. I was looking at this bitching 4wd (I hardly ever drive so it might be fun)
http://www.gorentals.co.nz/rental-cars/4-wheel-drive-car-hire/sport-utility-4x4/enquire/

But I also called a friend with similar advice and looked at this:
http://www.piggysrentalvehicles.co.nz/information/trucks-i-2.html

I'll do some calling around tomorrow but it is bloody busy at work right now. I'll just have to make myself take the time..

Big Dog
30th August 2016, 23:02
I took our 7 bikes in one trip on a 1.5t rental truck you can drive on a car license. Slow but easy.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

jellywrestler
30th August 2016, 23:07
Northland area which for me is as far north as I've been in a really long time. Anyone interested in a drop by with a couple of interesting bikes, the dirty 1992 GSXR 750 and the MUCH more interesting mystery bike I'd be keen to drop by particularly if there are some motors to oggle.

I might not have been on KB long but I can tell I'm going to hang out and its unlikely I'd get a drive by chance with anyone up that end for a while. Having said that I will ride mystery bike till my arse caves in at times then I will stand up and ride on.

call into the cold kiwi, there'll be a thousand bikes there and a couple of kb members...

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 23:13
I took our 7 bikes in one trip on a 1.5t rental truck you can drive on a car license. Slow but easy.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Mmmmm 7 bikes. I like the sound of that. I just agreed to sign over my nicely setup RF900 to the friend I'd loaned it to for the last year and a half. But after the weekend I will have 4 bikes for a while being the new 92Gix750 soon to be track grenade, 2015 Fireblade sporting 55,000kms a 1982 7/11 Katana and my new mystery bike! Given I've not done the RF I could claim to have 5 for a bit. The kids have a 50cc quad which doesn't really count and I just converted my mums last mobility scooter into a kind of three wheeler (kids have to sit prone to use the 'handlebar' which is a trolley jack handle) so I'm going to round it up to 7? Sort of..

If I new how to post images I'd put the mobility drag bike up that thing is sweet (pulls nearly 5kms). Probably post a 15 minute 1/4 mile.

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 23:16
call into the cold kiwi, there'll be a thousand bikes there and a couple of kb members...

Shit really I didn't know that was on same time. Sweet I might see a zillion bikes along the way and get in all their road. If I have a trailer mind I'm sure a few will like what they see. I'll look up the details and see if I cannot become a traveling road block and head in that would be SWEET!

I'll be sure to keep it Wellington and just drive in the passing lane... Not.

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 23:20

No shit just past smash palace? I was hoping to stop there for a gizmo on this trip anyway given google maps is sending me that way. Friday to Sunday I will have to drop in. I could even take mystery bike out in the private land (needs vin) maybe (never been to cold kiwi so not sure images look good). I think I will be there on bike next year mind. My social riding is about to increase a lot it seems to me.

IronPawz
30th August 2016, 23:48
Cold Kiwi that is so unexpectedly tits. I'll see if my friend is keen and if so plan to stay there on Friday night (I see cages in some of the images). Tickets at the gate, sweet. I've a tent, sweet. Get to see a load of bikes then a load of old cars at smash palace! This is shaping up to be an epic weekend. Mystery bike is the highlight still but cold Kiwi that is a massive bonus thanks Jelly I was just unaware.

BTW I'm fairly certain if you wander where the cages are you will have no issue finding me (I'll leave the bikes out and keep the beer cold). Probably spend a lot of my time wandering the bikes mind.

I'll post an image of mystery bike from my phone once the deals are done and the naked 92Gix with no headlight is not common there I am sure.

Big Dog
31st August 2016, 00:42
Mmmmm 7 bikes. I like the sound of that. I just agreed to sign over my nicely setup RF900 to the friend I'd loaned it to for the last year and a half. But after the weekend I will have 4 bikes for a while being the new 92Gix750 soon to be track grenade, 2015 Fireblade sporting 55,000kms a 1982 7/11 Katana and my new mystery bike! Given I've not done the RF I could claim to have 5 for a bit. The kids have a 50cc quad which doesn't really count and I just converted my mums last mobility scooter into a kind of three wheeler (kids have to sit prone to use the 'handlebar' which is a trolley jack handle) so I'm going to round it up to 7? Sort of..

If I new how to post images I'd put the mobility drag bike up that thing is sweet (pulls nearly 5kms). Probably post a 15 minute 1/4 mile.
Not as flash as it sounds. some scooters, the wife's bike and my (at the time) 2 registered bikes.

Money and time no object of have more. Part of the reason I still have some of the scooters is so I have nowhere that cries out to be filled with another bike!

Oh well. One day I'll be able to afford to have more than one registered again.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Akzle
31st August 2016, 16:45
i'll do it .

IronPawz
1st September 2016, 15:09
Right then I have a DCR hire van (which might appear at the cold Kiwi). I will leave tonight and go till I run out of steam and just sleep in it somewhere (lots of warm gear). Then tomorrow I will get to Northland. Over the journey I will pick up two bikes and spend some time with the sellers (looking forward to that). Then on the same day I will head back and hopefully stay over at the cold Kiwi with the bikes in the van (unlikely to unload given how I intend to secure them). Sunday I'll drop them off in Kapiti and then take the van back to lower hutt.

Then I will be spending some time in the shed just looking at things and making some plans (or sleeping). I had two different friends coming on the journey at different stages but alas I am on my own for some 1800+ Kms in a van (I hardly drive much but it seems to drive really well getting it home today).

So appreciate the offers but it is all organised now. Not sure how far I will get tonight but somewhere freezing no doubt. The further I get the more time I can spend with the sellers so case of redbull and perhaps a sleeping pill when I stop (or a quickly ingested few beers does the same) up early and on the road. I look forward to seeing lots of bikes around the cold Kiwi also. I very much look forward to introducing mystery bike here as it is iconic and unique and sure to be enjoyed by some (and hated by others).

My wallet is a bit sore over this event (bleeding like a stuck pig) but I will live with it. Coming up I'll be trying not to detonate the walking stick grenade (92 GSXR 750 track bike) and seeing if I can bleed further to some plastics for its otherwise rude looking state of undress.

Be nice to see the north but I'll be bloody tired of driving I think after this one!