PDA

View Full Version : First aid course for motorcyclists in Christchurch

Oakie
5th September 2016, 19:36
This. https://www.facebook.com/events/204065500008884/

No one wants to be the first person at an accident site but take it from me, if the day comes, you'll be bloody glad you did this.

Akzle
5th September 2016, 21:08
and i would encourage everyone to not think they're an fucking hero.
yes. first aid is good if you *get* it, but the number of first aid certified people i've met who i wouldn't trust to put a fucking plaster on isn't funny.

also the people who tend to get most fucked up are "would be" saviours.

/devil's advocate

pritch
5th September 2016, 21:33
yes. first aid is good if you *get* it, but the number of first aid certified people i've met who i wouldn't trust to put a fucking plaster on isn't funny.

It's difficult, talking about first aid in a class room is one thing. It's something entirely different if someone is seriously injured and suddenly you are Johnny on the spot.

We can only do what's possible - and hope like Hell it doesn't happen?

Oakie
5th September 2016, 22:33
It's difficult, talking about first aid in a class room is one thing. It's something entirely different if someone is seriously injured and suddenly you are Johnny on the spot.

I thought that and thought there's no way I'd remember it all but the first time it happened (sheep truck vs cyclist) everything just went onto auto pilot and ... well it just happened. The second time (biker fell over going around a sweeper) I knew it would come back to me and it did.

Even if people do this and just to learn how to take a helmet off an unconscious biker properly, that would be good.

nzspokes
6th September 2016, 06:37

Hard part is stopping others doing stupid things. You really have to take control. Be very firm.

In reality all you can do is try to keep the heart pumping, air going in and blood on the inside.

Oh and dont take the bloody helmet off unless you need to. Its a very comfortable split.

pritch
6th September 2016, 09:21
Hard part is stopping others doing stupid things. You really have to take control. Be very firm.

Ain't that the truth.

Oakie
6th September 2016, 19:25
Oh and dont take the bloody helmet off unless you need to. Its a very comfortable split.

True. Pretty much only if their breathing is compromised. Took my second victim's lid off. Didn't want to but he was getting a bit anxious about it and insisted. Pretty much like peeling a hard boiled egg. Won't describe it here as it needs to be explained by a pro. Fortunately I'd been taught by a pro.