PDA

View Full Version : Fuel for KTM 390 Duke

nataliaxen
15th September 2016, 14:39
I am a little bit confused about the fuel types here in NZ and which one is right for my KTM.

In my home country (Finland) we have 95RON and 98RON, but here on most of the gas stations there is just 91 (RON or PON???)

In the bike manual they recommend using 95RON / 91 PON, but does it mean I can fuel up with 91 here in NZ, or shall I use 95? Not that 95 is much more expensive, but even in Wellington CBD most of the stations offer 91 only, while for 95 I have to go to Newlands or Porirua...

Thank you in advance!

Gremlin
15th September 2016, 14:44
NZ fuel uses RON rating.

Here as you've seen, 91 is most common, 95 widely available (remote back blocks are the least likely to have 95, so places like East Cape you're struggling to find 95 between Opotiki and Gisborne), and some stations have 97-98 (mostly BP and Mobil).

Be aware that Gull uses ethanol in most fuels and also has other options like Force 10 etc.

nataliaxen
15th September 2016, 14:48
NZ fuel uses RON rating.

Thank you for the reply!

What I wanted to know, if there will be any harm to the engine from using 91?

If it was 91 PON then it is the same as 95 RON we have in Europe. But if it is 91 RON as you say, then I probably cannot use it in a long run...

Be aware that Gull uses ethanol in most fuels and also has other options like Force 10 etc.
manual says that it is ok to use even 10% ethanol fuel

Gremlin
15th September 2016, 14:58
What I wanted to know, if there will be any harm to the engine from using 91?

If it was 91 PON then it is the same as 95 RON we have in Europe. But if it is 91 RON as you say, then I probably cannot use it in a long run...

manual says that it is ok to use even 10% ethanol fuel
Check your manual, but most of the European motorcycles (having owned a KTM and now a BMW) mention that the computer will limit performance if it detects 91 but it will work. However, I'd try to limit use as best possible.

Yeah, I don't really trust what the manual says. When I owned my KTM, I saw a very new RC8 in the shop, having all sorts of fueling problems. I suggested the ethanol component, they left samples in fuel and sure enough, the fuel lines in ethanol blends turned to mush. Just because the manual says so, it's not enough for me. You also get less energy per litre... anyway, I avoid ethanol blends as best possible.

Night Falcon
15th September 2016, 15:10
I've used 91 in all my bikes, its cheap and none have blown up..........yet <_<

nataliaxen
15th September 2016, 16:21
I've used 91 in all my bikes, its cheap and none have blown up..........yet <_<

Ok, at least I'm happy that my 390 is so light, that I can just roll it like a bicycle till I reach the nearest gas station with 95 ;)

My ex had BMW R1200GS ADV, and I could hardly roll it to the garage

Night Falcon
15th September 2016, 17:46
Ok, at least I'm happy that my 390 is so light, that I can just roll it like a bicycle till I reach the nearest gas station with 95 ;)

rollin beamers anywhere is not recommended.

I used to pay more attention to fuel's but over the years have ended up having to topup the 95 in the tank with 91 cos that's all there was available. Ten your left with putting 95 in 1/2 a tank of 91...it gets all to much. We generally have good quality fuel here which is a lot more important. All my previous KTM's ran just fine on 91 where overseas there were fuel pumps blowin up all over the place from bad gas. Run 95 if it makes you sleep better but as others have said if your out of town its not always available.

onearmedbandit
15th September 2016, 18:14
I wouldn't recommend 91 for long term use in NZ.

Gremlin
15th September 2016, 18:16
That's what the starter is for ;) Impressed you could move it tho, I've come across some people shorter than the bike :D However, if you've seen an elephant riding a tricycle, then that's what I look like on small bikes.

The problem with your KTMs is the small tank, so you need gas so regularly. I recommend a larger fuel tank :bleh:

I wouldn't recommend 91 for long term use in NZ.
The jap CB919 has lived on 91 since 2005. 139k later and I think it might be OK with it? Depends what the bike is designed for etc.

WristTwister
15th September 2016, 18:22
I am a little bit confused about the fuel types here in NZ and which one is right for my KTM.

In my home country (Finland) we have 95RON and 98RON, but here on most of the gas stations there is just 91 (RON or PON???)

In the bike manual they recommend using 95RON / 91 PON, but does it mean I can fuel up with 91 here in NZ, or shall I use 95? Not that 95 is much more expensive, but even in Wellington CBD most of the stations offer 91 only, while for 95 I have to go to Newlands or Porirua...

Thank you in advance!

You should have no problem finding 95 in the Wellington CBD. As far as I've noticed only Z Harbour City doesn't sell premium. Z Taranaki St, Z Vivian St, Z Constable St, Z Kilbirnie, Z Miramar - all sell ZX (95 premium). So do both Caltex's and the CBD BP on Taranaki street by Te Papa even sells 98.

Gremlin
15th September 2016, 18:35
Actually on that note, green handles usually mean 91, red for 95 (yellow for 95 at older BPs) and black for diesel (don't use that aye?). Light blue at BP denotes their premium 98.

Some stations might have limited options at each pump, so sometimes just diesel and 91, then other pumps have 91 and 95, but yeah, 95 is quite widely available in cities at least.

onearmedbandit
15th September 2016, 23:07
The jap CB919 has lived on 91 since 2005. 139k later and I think it might be OK with it? Depends what the bike is designed for etc.

That's a fair call. I'm basing my opinion on what I've experienced with my bike, and what I've seen the fuel do to imported cars (yes I know), and from what I've been told by people who have worked in the petroleum industry in NZ. If 91 works fine for someones situation, that's great. Doesn't mean I'd recommend it though.

MXNUT
16th September 2016, 08:40
If KTM recommends using 95 RON then that is what you should use.

It has nothing to do with fuel pump failures or the like... and recommendation from what other people have run in their bikes mean nothing.

The higher RON petrol is designed to stop pre ignition / detonation that high compression motorcycle engine are prone to.

KTM singles do not have a knock sensor ( most motorcycles don't ) that can adjust the ignition timing automatically like most modern cars.
The 690 has a manual switch under the seat which can be set for low RON fuel, but I don't believe the 390 has this.

You cant do any harm by using a higher RON fuel and often you may notice slightly better economy.

You can do harm by using 91 fuel when you shouldn't .... broken piston rings or a holed piston would be a worst case scenario from prolonged engine `pinking`.

slofox
16th September 2016, 11:10

Just because the servos only advertise the price of 91 on their price board does not mean they do not sell 95 (or 98 in some cases).

The only place around here (Waikato) that I have been unable to buy 95 was Bennydale. Which is kinda remote anyway.

rambaldi
16th September 2016, 12:59
Just because the servos only advertise the price of 91 on their price board does not mean they do not sell 95 (or 98 in some cases).

The only place around here (Waikato) that I have been unable to buy 95 was Bennydale. Which is kinda remote anyway.

Very much this. It is damn annoying when you want a tank of the expensive stuff, and everyone just tells you how much their cheapy petrol is. It only ends up making a 20c difference on a tank, if that, but I still like to keep an eye on prices.

neels
16th September 2016, 21:19
I run 95 (or 98 if I'm at BP) in all my petrol powered machines, having said that most of them are euro so more or less specify it anyway.

I did read somewhere that you will get better fuel economy out of higher octane fuel, so the cost works out more or less the same anyway, more BTU's or some shit.

Moise
16th September 2016, 22:38
I'd suggest running any Euro vehicle on 95 minimum and preferably 98. Japanese bikes are usually designed to run on 91 and should be OK.

We have fuel standards in NZ, but they oil companies seem to always get their way when they want them relaxed. NZ 91 wouldn't even meet the US 87 octane requirements because Marsden Point is such a shitty refinery..

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

slofox
17th September 2016, 07:45
Very much this. It is damn annoying when you want a tank of the expensive stuff, and everyone just tells you how much their cheapy petrol is. It only ends up making a 20c difference on a tank, if that, but I still like to keep an eye on prices.

Yep. They never like to let on how much they crank up the price of the higher octanes.

My local Mobil station adds 9c/l for 98 octane compared to 91. My local Caltex station adds 15c/l for 95. Guess which one I use?

Course I also have a Mobil fuel card which gives me 10c/l discount on local pump price...(only available to old farts like me who have a Gold Card :bleh:). Which adds to the incentive.