PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best value Street Triple?

nzspokes
3rd October 2016, 17:58
Got a friend looking for a Streety. Ive been asked to help. I only know a bit about em. Is there a model year thats better than the others or is it just newer is better?

And not seen them but can you get a top box mount for them?

AllanB
3rd October 2016, 18:06
My understanding is they are all great. R model has extra goodness, but costs more.

And tell your friend not to be a knob and forget a bloody top box. Wrong bike - it wants hills and corners and revs not arsey top-boxes stuffing up the handling.

nzspokes
3rd October 2016, 18:09
My understanding is they are all great. R model has extra goodness, but costs more.

And tell your friend not to be a knob and forget a bloody top box. Wrong bike - it wants hills and corners and revs not arsey top-boxes stuffing up the handling.

Some people need to carry shit, ive got over 100L of storage on mine and often use it.

BuzzardNZ
3rd October 2016, 18:18
Some people need to carry shit, ive got over 100L of storage on mine and often use it.

for your lunch?

Blackbird
3rd October 2016, 18:21
I had a 2009 non-R model from new until last year. Sold it at 70,000 km and it was still going like clockwork. Had the mirror stalks replaced under warranty due to rusting, the reg/rec as part of a world-wide recall and replaced the budget standard shock at 40,000 km with a Nitron unit. Apart from those items, just got on and rode it. Did the Rusty Nuts 1600 km/24 hours ride in 2010 and it was the most comfortable bike I've done it on. In terms of personal preference, it was a better all round bike for me than the GSX-S 1000 I have now. I'll probably be looking at the Triple 800 when it comes out next year.

For what it's worth, this is a review I did of the Triple http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/2010/08/triumph-street-triple-review-revisited.html .

ellipsis
3rd October 2016, 19:06
...this one by far...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-1165024020.htm

nzspokes
3rd October 2016, 19:12
I had a 2009 non-R model from new until last year. Sold it at 70,000 km and it was still going like clockwork. Had the mirror stalks replaced under warranty due to rusting, the reg/rec as part of a world-wide recall and replaced the budget standard shock at 40,000 km with a Nitron unit. Apart from those items, just got on and rode it. Did the Rusty Nuts 1600 km/24 hours ride in 2010 and it was the most comfortable bike I've done it on. In terms of personal preference, it was a better all round bike for me than the GSX-S 1000 I have now. I'll probably be looking at the Triple 800 when it comes out next year.

For what it's worth, this is a review I did of the Triple http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/2010/08/triumph-street-triple-review-revisited.html .

Thanks Geoff.

nzspokes
3rd October 2016, 20:49
This seems ok, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1167044843

jasonu
4th October 2016, 04:25
...this one by far...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-1165024020.htm

But can you get a top box mount for it?

Owl
4th October 2016, 06:08
Some people need to carry shit.

Me too, but I use a Navara :laugh:. Street Triple is not a truck.:no:

nzspokes
4th October 2016, 06:38
Me too, but I use a Navara [emoji23]. Street Triple is not a truck.:no:
That's why I didn't bother with the SDR or GT SDR. Luggage is crap.

Im lucky enough to sometimes travel and work from the bike so I need to carry my training gear.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

HenryDorsetCase
4th October 2016, 19:43
I own an 09 Street Triple R with some upgrades. I really like it. I don't do a lot of miles in any given year, but I try and enjoy every one. Bike gets taken to work, Sunday blats, trackdays etc.

I seriously considered upgrading mine when the newer model came out. It had 6 more HP and was six kg lighter. (say 2013 or 2014?) Instead I put an arrows pipe on mine which got me back the "missing" 6hp and saved me more than 6 kg. I also have to budget for suspension upgrades for any bike I buy (trust me, best money you will ever spend) and mine already has the Ohlins shock and worked over fork.

At this point mine is worth <$10k. I am going to keep it. I will seriously consider the 800cc one when it comes out but honestly, the 675 is any amount quick enough on the road, and it has what I like in a bike: reliable, robust, great handling.

I bought a mount thing for a topbox for mine, and have a GIVI topbox but never put it on. I would sell the mounts (but not the topbox it is earmarked for another bike).

nzspokes
4th October 2016, 19:57
I own an 09 Street Triple R with some upgrades. I really like it. I don't do a lot of miles in any given year, but I try and enjoy every one. Bike gets taken to work, Sunday blats, trackdays etc.

I seriously considered upgrading mine when the newer model came out. It had 6 more HP and was six kg lighter. (say 2013 or 2014?) Instead I put an arrows pipe on mine which got me back the "missing" 6hp and saved me more than 6 kg. I also have to budget for suspension upgrades for any bike I buy (trust me, best money you will ever spend) and mine already has the Ohlins shock and worked over fork.

At this point mine is worth <$10k. I am going to keep it. I will seriously consider the 800cc one when it comes out but honestly, the 675 is any amount quick enough on the road, and it has what I like in a bike: reliable, robust, great handling.

I bought a mount thing for a topbox for mine, and have a GIVI topbox but never put it on. I would sell the mounts (but not the topbox it is earmarked for another bike).

Thanks, I will let them know on the top box mount. Few weeks off buying.

So later ones not much different then? Apart from the low pipe? Oh and funny headlights.

HenryDorsetCase
4th October 2016, 20:47
Thanks, I will let them know on the top box mount. Few weeks off buying.

So later ones not much different then? Apart from the low pipe? Oh and funny headlights.

Pretty much sums it up as far as I know. At least functionally. the motors are very similar to the Daytona 675 and it had a redesign (maybe a couple?) which was aimed at racing/performance: shorter stroke and wider bores etc. The crankcase castings are different. Ask me how I know. OK, I'll tell you: I ordered a set of GB racing case protectors and didnt know that there were two fittings for the two different motors.

But like I say functionally equivalent especially in a road bike. Some Triumph 675 anorak will be along shortly to tell me the error of my ways no doubt.

I really dislike the cat eye headlights. Headlights are round. End of story.

If he wants a Speed Triple I still have my mates one taking up shed space.

Blackbird
5th October 2016, 08:49

Anyone who hasn't ridden a Street Triple probably doesn't realise what a potent weapon they are, especially in the tighter stuff. Pinpoint handling and a surprisingly good power to weight ratio (very similar to my Blackbird) means that it will hold its own or even embarrass bigger capacity machines. As I mentioned in the review, stepping down from the 1100cc 'bird to a 675 seemed a bit "unmanly" at first, but it didn't take long for that thought to go out the window. :innocent:

YellowDog
5th October 2016, 09:02
Anyone who hasn't ridden a Street Triple probably doesn't realise what a potent weapon they are, especially in the tighter stuff. Pinpoint handling and a surprisingly good power to weight ratio (very similar to my Blackbird) means that it will hold its own or even embarrass bigger capacity machines. As I mentioned in the review, stepping down from the 1100cc 'bird to a 675 seemed a bit "unmanly" at first, but it didn't take long for that thought to go out the window. :innocent:

I have ridden a coupe of Blackbirds and found them to be a pretty good all round, for such a large bike. But clearly these are not really comparable rides at all. The S3 a lot more nimble and certainly a fun bike that has been very well set up to carve through the twisties. The power to weight thing is pretty impressive too :niceone:

Blackbird
5th October 2016, 09:12
I have ridden a coupe of Blackbirds and found them to be a pretty good all round, for such a large bike. But clearly these are not really comparable rides at all. The S3 a lot more nimble and certainly a fun bike that has been very well set up to carve through the twisties. The power to weight thing is pretty impressive too :niceone:

Completely agree that they're not comparable in terms of function, just making the point that for everyday road use, good, smaller capacity bikes lose nothing to their bigger counterparts. The almost flat torque curve of the Triple meant that you were rarely caught in the wrong gear for a snap overtake.

pritch
5th October 2016, 09:46
I love the triple engines. Test rode a Street Triple R with an eye to change but stayed with the Speed 3. That was not because of any unhappiness with the Street Triple though.

Top boxes? Never had one and don't think I ever would although I can see that they are handy. A Ventura pack rack might upset handling less, particularly if you do what they recommend and fit the pack on backward(?) so that it sits on the pillion seat.

Blackbird
5th October 2016, 09:59
Top boxes? Never had one and don't think I ever would although I can see that they are handy. A Ventura pack rack might upset handling less, particularly if you do what they recommend and fit the pack on backward(?) so that it sits on the pillion seat.

Ron,
That's exactly the setup I had with my Ventura on the Triple. Lockable hard luggage is always handy but I've always been slightly wary of topboxes (ignoring looks) as some bikes are more susceptible to tankslappers with them on. Not caused by a topbox, but I had 2 bad tankslappers with the 'bird and never want to go through that again :eek5:

nzspokes
5th October 2016, 11:29
Ron,
That's exactly the setup I had with my Ventura on the Triple. Lockable hard luggage is always handy but I've always been slightly wary of topboxes (ignoring looks) as some bikes are more susceptible to tankslappers with them on. Not caused by a topbox, but I had 2 bad tankslappers with the 'bird and never want to go through that again :eek5:
Ive had more trouble with bags pulling the bike around than a top box.

pritch
5th October 2016, 12:22
The luggage thing can go round in circles and there's swings and roundabouts. When I had a ventura rack, not their pack, I was envious of hard luggage. Next bike had a set of Givi V35s with inner bags. Very civilised but man did the VFRs arse look big in those! Givi didn't offer hard bags for the S4R so I went with soft and still have those on the Speed Triple. Not ecstatically happy with them though.

Were I to get another bike I'd be looking at Ventura, or possibly Kriega. Unless the bike was second hand and came with all the kit fitted...

Meanwhile back to the OP. The Hornet 600 used to be top of the Brit middleweight class but the Street Triple took over and ruled the roost until the Yamaha 700 stole some of its thunder. I've never read of a "problem" year.

As has been pointed out the cheap reg/rectifiers they used were crap and the Japanese Shindengen mosfet item is the way to go. I did hear that if you buy the spare part from Triumph these days you will probably get a mosfet device. It might pay to ask the seller if that item has been replaced. If I was buying a used Street Triple I'd consider buying a Shindengen off EBay just for peace of mind. The cost of the item and fitting wouldn't break the bank but the peace of mind would be worth it.

Blackbird
5th October 2016, 12:50
As has been pointed out the cheap reg/rectifiers they used were crap and the Japanese Shindengen mosfet item is the way to go. I did hear that if you buy the spare part from Triumph these days you will probably get a mosfet device. It might pay to ask the seller if that item has been replaced. If I was buying a used Street Triple I'd consider buying a Shindengen off EBay just for peace of mind. The cost of the item and fitting wouldn't break the bank but the peace of mind would be worth it.

I think it was back in 2012 that Triumph did a free recall of Triples to have a Mosfet-type reg/rec fitted. The original was smaller than the Mosfet and was mounted down the axis of the bike. It didn't get a lot of cooling in that location (see first photo). The Mosfet was much larger and retrofitted across the axis of the bike where it got much better cooling (second and third photos). That's a quick giveaway if any bike has been part of a Triumph recall.

ellipsis
5th October 2016, 16:03
Ive had more trouble with bags pulling the bike around than a top box.

...that's why I made her get her own sickle...

Owl
5th October 2016, 16:51
I think it was back in 2012 that Triumph did a free recall of Triples to have a Mosfet-type reg/rec fitted. The original was smaller than the Mosfet and was mounted down the axis of the bike. It didn't get a lot of cooling in that location (see first photo). The Mosfet was much larger and retrofitted across the axis of the bike where it got much better cooling (second and third photos). That's a quick giveaway if any bike has been part of a Triumph recall.

Had enough of that reg/rec drama with my Speed Triple....3 reg/recs and 3 stators later.:facepalm: Turned out the Mosfet wasn't the saviour in that model.

Blackbird
5th October 2016, 17:02
Had enough of that reg/rec drama with my Speed Triple....3 reg/recs and 3 stators later.:facepalm: Turned out the Mosfet wasn't the saviour in that model.
On the Blackbird, if the stator was dodgy, it could screw the reg/rec too . Maybe vice versa too. A lot of people replaced their OEM reg/recs with one from an early R1. I don't know if they were a MOSFET design.

Owl
5th October 2016, 17:40
On the Blackbird, if the stator was dodgy, it could screw the reg/rec too . Maybe vice versa too. A lot of people replaced their OEM reg/recs with one from an early R1. I don't know if they were a MOSFET design.

I think the early 1050 stator issue was more due to design fault, though no-one seemed to know that at the time and blamed the SCR r/r. Triumph changed the rotor design to accommodate a narrower, but larger diameter stator which produced less heat and was therefore more reliable. I stopped eating stators when I changed to a Shindengen Series type r/r.:msn-wink:

F5 Dave
6th October 2016, 06:44
There is a later shidengen reg the sh847 which is used on the latest vstrom and supposedly gives the stator an easier time. Lowered the side coverthat the stator bolts to by like 10degrees. And yes that's on my STR.

I went from a 1050 Tiger and worried if after decades of bigger bikes the 675 would be too peaky and gutless. I have no regrets 4 months on. Easy to ride and fast enough for nz roads. Budget suspension revalve/upgrade.

Mine is an R 2011 so new lights but 1st gen. I put a low pipe on. Don't believe there's any more real power on new model and I wanted a pre 13 as the ECU can be remapped withe TuneEcU sw.

One thing I did regret on my Tiger is it came with a topbox. It was so damn tempting to use it. It was ok on easy rides, but fuck it was the single worst thing to destroy handling. I sold it to stop me using it. Top boxes are the absolute worst place you can store anything. The nemesis of mass centralisation.

mossy1200
6th October 2016, 21:57
Top boxes are the absolute worst place you can store anything. The nemesis of mass centralisation.

I enjoyed my wheelie assist additions.