PDA

View Full Version : New Harley engine

awayatc
8th October 2016, 05:45
Harleys new engine is out.....

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/08/25/2017-harley-davidson-milwaukee-eight-motors-11-fast-facts/

AllanB
8th October 2016, 09:34
I watched a video of one on a dyno this morning -75 hp rear wheel, gobs of torque (max at 2800 or something).

Reviewing well, saying that they are now comparable to the Indian and Victory engines.

awayatc
8th October 2016, 13:03
However .....they still have belt on primary side

Golden opportunity wasted.

Victory got that sorted...

As did Buell and sporty

Moise
8th October 2016, 13:49
Why?

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

AllanB
8th October 2016, 18:46
Why?

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Why update it?

Because it was way behind Victory and Indian engines. The American dream machine was looking dated ......

Oddly they are so proud that it is only the 8th update of their engine in over 110 years ............

scumdog
8th October 2016, 19:14
Back to a single cam?:confused:

Crasherfromwayback
8th October 2016, 19:19
Back to a single cam?:confused:

That's no big deal mate. Honda CRF450's use a single cam...they seem to go ok! :msn-wink:

ellipsis
8th October 2016, 19:49
Oddly they are so proud that it is only the 8th update of their engine in over 110 years ............

...beguilingly simple...and fair play to the marques they are having to 'keep up with', as they both faltered in the market and some company who made ski-doos took on their patent name...Made In Miwaukee Since 1903...suck shit ya hp pussies...

GrayWolf
6th November 2016, 14:37
...beguilingly simple...and fair play to the marques they are having to 'keep up with', as they both faltered in the market and some company who made ski-doos took on their patent name...Made In Miwaukee Since 1903...suck shit ya hp pussies...

Funny though, Moto Guzzi have used the same engine {apart from lager CC upgrades} for 40+ yrs... and have always out HP/Torqued Hardly.

Oh yeh, impressive torque/HP on the new HD motor? My MT-01 produced that and that motor is over a decade old.

mossy1200
6th November 2016, 15:00
My 2006 m109r has claimed 123hp and 160nm.

Crasherfromwayback
6th November 2016, 15:18
Funny though, Moto Guzzi have used the same engine {apart from lager CC upgrades} for 40+ yrs... and have always out HP/Torqued Hardly.

Not quite... <_<

I reckon an 883 would wipe the floor with the 850 Le Mans. Rode one not long ago. What a pile of shit.

HenryDorsetCase
6th November 2016, 15:41
Why update it?

Because it was way behind Victory and Indian engines. The American dream machine was looking dated ......

plus it is increasingly difficult to meet statutory requirements about emissions and noise with their older engines.

GrayWolf
6th November 2016, 15:56
Not quite... <_<

I reckon an 883 would wipe the floor with the 850 Le Mans. Rode one not long ago. What a pile of shit.

ride a sporty of the SAME era it wont. :oi-grr:
The 'Lemon' was always a matter of taste, heavy throttle springs, clutch etc. I bought one of the first three 1100 Cali's into NZ in 1995. A US 'big twin' magazine voted it the best Harley.
I'll look with interest when a US cruiser mag does the next big shootout with the new HD and 1400 Cali as part of it.

Mr Revhead
7th November 2016, 21:16
Not quite... <_<

:facepalm: My CX500 wipes the floor with 883s. There is no way an 850 Le Mans is even going to need 3rd gear to run away from a 883 :motu:

Crasherfromwayback
7th November 2016, 21:24
:facepalm: My CX500 wipes the floor with 883s. There is no way an 850 Le Mans is even going to need 3rd gear to run away from a 883 :motu:

Well, if you can do better than 1 min 19 secs round Manfield on either. give me a shout. :tugger:

GrayWolf
7th November 2016, 22:58
Well, if you can do better than 1 min 19 secs round Manfield on either. give me a shout. :tugger:

I can Pete

offer me a coffee, I'll RUN faster! :sick:

Crasherfromwayback
8th November 2016, 07:21
I can Pete

offer me a coffee, I'll RUN faster! :sick:

Not allowed to spill fluids on the track mate! You'll need a catch tray in ya gruts.

onearmedbandit
8th November 2016, 13:14
I was reading that cars with motors under 1.5L will become a thing of the past due to tougher emission regulations so I wonder if small bikes will become a thing of the past too for the same reason. The odd thing is I thought the bigger the motor the more emissions were emitted.

The smaller engines you talk of are typically turbo or supercharged (in some cases both, VW 1.4 Twin Charger for example) to boost power levels up to those of the larger engines they've replaced. However real world testing opposed to strict lab testing has shown these engines to be worse in emitting emissions. Small bike engines that are naturally aspirated should be fine for the time being.

Hemi Makutu
8th November 2016, 15:42

Take a quick CX 500 ( maybe even a turbo) to "wipe the floor" - with this 'stock' Sporty..

www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles/big7/big716.htm

Funnily enough Moto Guzzi never entered into those U.S. mag showdowns... I wonder why?

(To be fair, I'd reckon H-D did likely examine the CX - as an example of a V-twin pushrod 4V design)..

Mr Revhead
8th November 2016, 21:13
Who buys a bike to go in a straight line? :weird:
Oh that's right, Harley riders :killingme

onearmedbandit
8th November 2016, 21:17

This guy might disagree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8V6gAWgRVQ

Crasherfromwayback
8th November 2016, 21:22

Show us a pic of you carving the corners on ya CX500 then! Here's me on a Harley. Your turn.

ellipsis
8th November 2016, 21:37
...all kinds of blokes on sportys or big blocks could give a learn to hot shots on other things with quicker steering, and the other shit that makes a sport bike, the demon thingy...some people,before massaging their balls on a forum, should check whether they have any first... your honda cervix, Revhead is just a thing that you choose to screw...sick cunt...

AllanB
8th November 2016, 22:21
This guy might disagree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8V6gAWgRVQ

I enjoyed that. Looks like he fucked a set of pipes and came bloody close to clipping his apes on a few right handers!

Ride it like you stole it aye.

The safety gear ....

GrayWolf
8th November 2016, 23:12
Take a quick CX 500 ( maybe even a turbo) to "wipe the floor" - with this 'stock' Sporty..

www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles/big7/big716.htm

Funnily enough Moto Guzzi never entered into those U.S. mag showdowns... I wonder why?

(To be fair, I'd reckon H-D did likely examine the CX - as an example of a V-twin pushrod 4V design)..

If you search youtube, 'hildo's harley' you;ll find a clip where a RAT chop fucks over a sportbike 3 times off the line.... much to the angst of the sprotty owner. A big V-twin will launch over a short distance faster.
Guzzi had no reason to enter those 'shoot outs' ducati didnt either, or laverda.

Hemi Makutu
8th November 2016, 23:39
If you search youtube, 'hildo's harley' you;ll find a clip where a RAT chop fucks over a sportbike 3 times off the line.... much to the angst of the sprotty owner. A big V-twin will launch over a short distance faster.
Guzzi had no reason to enter those 'shoot outs' ducati didnt either, or laverda.

But they still got whipped by the Brits, let alone the Kawasakis.. see below

http://www.kawtriple.com/mraxl/articles/1973%20Superbikes/superbikes1.htm

old slider
9th November 2016, 15:21
Show us a pic of you carving the corners on ya CX500 then! Here's me on a Harley. Your turn.

Very cool photo.

old slider
9th November 2016, 15:46
This guy looks like he can throw a HD around ok.

Edit, These pics were taken from maybe a Burt Munroe site, hope the rider wont mind me using them, I think they are pretty cool

AllanB
9th November 2016, 18:03
Funny thread.

Look - the HD compressor is what it is and sells zillions of machines to happy riders.

It's upgraded.

About fucking time.

Ride it as you will.

Avoid it as you will.

I did view a seriously kick arse one last weekend. F-in cool looking ride. Hot-rod SE engine. Will go like fuck between coffee stops/bars/strip joints.

At 51 I am not old enough for a HD yet......:facepalm:

Hemi Makutu
9th November 2016, 20:07
H-D's are not my thing, though IMO - due respect for the well presented machines - even if for every good 'un, there
are bulk genre stupidities too..

I still enjoy shutting the would be performance bikers down on a seemingly 'tiny' - but waspish - 2T though..

A bit like how wasps prey on tarantulas, unexpected but real, & so gruesome for the arachnid...