PDA

View Full Version : RS250?

Joe Blogs
4th October 2005, 21:59
Who owns one? Are they any good? How often do you change pistons, cranks etc? Whats the best year to own?

Please give me your feed back as I am thinking of buying on myself.

Cheers

marty
5th October 2005, 07:59
an aprilia RS250? see here:

http://www.motobke.co.uk/

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcaprilia/rs250.html

curious george
5th October 2005, 08:06
Something like THIS (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/)
I've got the Aprillia motor in my RGV, (Same thing actually), and it works like every other RGV out there. Fantastic powerband, and rewards regular maintainence.
As for the whole bike, I think the later models had advantages, but nothing wrong with an earlier model. Same engine, I think the forks changed, and possible the rim/tyre width as well. Search the forum to be sure.
I think bodywork was the biggest change between years.
Engines are better then most give them credit for, but powervalves weak point. Check them first.
CHeck condition of barells, they are expensive to replace.

Why do you want one? You need to stay <250cc, or just want an awesome small road bike? My opinion is they are great road legal (almost) race bikes, they suck in traffic, but reward fast twisty roads. If you like tinkering with bikes, great fun also.

www.rgv.co.uk is another great site to find info about them. Aprillia used different heads and electronics.

ZorsT
5th October 2005, 08:21
Who owns one? Are they any good? How often do you change pistons, cranks etc? Whats the best year to own?

Please give me your feed back as I am thinking of buying on myself.

Cheers
I thought you said you were going to wait until you had your full and get an R6?

You just love the sound of my bike....

They are expensive, (one on trademe for $6000 2 weeks ago) but i'm guessing they are better than the Yamaha or Honda 250 2-smokers. Same engine as the Suzuki so parts won't be too badly priced.

RoadRocket
5th October 2005, 11:40
I've got a 2003 model but they are all pretty much the same. Great fun you can keep up with bigger bike no proplem. Very quick I mannaged a 12.8 second 1/4 mile at the sprints a few weekends ago. Aprilia recomends they should have a rebuild about every 16000kms but i think you gan get away with more.

www.apriliaforum.com has heaps of info.

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 15:40
nsr , get a nsr , I,ll even make it super fast for ya

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 15:43
standard an rs is faster , but a nsr is more reliable , its a honda , cheaper , and it can be made faster with little $$

Coyote
5th October 2005, 17:11
standard an rs is faster , but a nsr is more reliable , its a honda , cheaper , and it can be made faster with little $$
What do you have to do to a NSR to make it faster and how much?

texmo
5th October 2005, 18:31
As soon as you fuck with a bike mechanicaly all reliablity goes out the door with the re-sale value would you want to buy a bike that has been tuned in someones back yard???

ZorsT
5th October 2005, 18:58
nsr , get a nsr , I,ll even make it super fast for ya
If I get an NSR will you make it super fast for ME?

ginger beer is up for grabs if the time comes.....

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 19:28
As soon as you fuck with a bike mechanicaly all reliablity goes out the door with the re-sale value would you want to buy a bike that has been tuned in someones back yard???

well my nsr was tuned under my house and has done over 25 000ks since I hotted it up with no probs , maintainance only
so there :whistle:

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 19:29

maybe , good with rgvs and rs as well but the nsr is my true love

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 19:30
What do you have to do to a NSR to make it faster and how much?
go to tyga racing website

nsrpaul
5th October 2005, 19:32

answer me this , are you using the rg to its potential

ZorsT
5th October 2005, 19:51
not yet. If I had bucket racing at my doorstep, it may be a different story. I did scrape the peg on sunday when I was riding with JB though

Joe Blogs
5th October 2005, 20:08
Why do you want one? You need to stay <250cc, or just want an awesome small road bike?
I need to stay <250cc and my CBR just cant cut it. When I first got it compared to my FXR 150 it was quick but now I want something that is really fast.

I cant get my full licence for another 8 months with defensive driving course or 14 months without. and my life doesnt move fast enough at the moment

Thanks for your feed back.

Joe Blogs
5th October 2005, 20:10
I did scrape the peg on sunday when I was riding with JB though
Yeh and when scraping those pegs you also almost went over the bank on takaka hill :)

ZorsT
5th October 2005, 20:16
Yeh and when scraping those pegs you also almost went over the bank on takaka hill :)
that may be so, but I still scraped the peg and my tyres stayed on the road...

The scrape marks have rusted already though

k14
5th October 2005, 20:44
I need to stay <250cc and my CBR just cant cut it. When I first got it compared to my FXR 150 it was quick but now I want something that is really fast.

I cant get my full licence for another 8 months with defensive driving course or 14 months without. and my life doesnt move fast enough at the moment

Thanks for your feed back.
Do you have a death wish?

curious george
5th October 2005, 21:07
Doesn't everybody who wants and RGV? I thought it was practically a requirement.....
If it's only for license issues, a RGV or NSR would do the same but cheaper.
Most RS's go for over 10k up here, where as I paid about 3k for my RGV.
With either, you could end up with a big repair bill, so it all depends on the previous owner.
Fantastic bikes. If you want it to hoon, you won't be dissapointed over 8krpm.

Just so you know though, as a class, it's probably killed more young riders than any other :apumpin: (nothing to back this up, jus what an okd fart ina bike shop told me once. Didn't listen to him either.)

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 15:15
I think maybe he does

Joe Blogs
6th October 2005, 18:30
I think maybe he does
Im 16 years old so therefore I am bullet proof. So no death wish cos I cant die :)

curious george
6th October 2005, 18:47
Woo-hoo! Atta boy!
These bikes are pretty good on the track - ever thought about it?
Tip: RGV's fix cheaper in a crash... but the RS does look good.

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 19:13
Woo-hoo! Atta boy!
These bikes are pretty good on the track - ever thought about it?
Tip: RGV's fix cheaper in a crash... but the RS does look good.
nsr - looks good and crash well

ZorsT
6th October 2005, 19:43
nsr - looks good and crash well
have you ever tried putting a single sided swingarm on an older model?

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 19:49
can be done , just sent jb the adress for a site with a mc21 with a mc28 single swinger on it
nb - ya don't want the single swinger model , slow and heavy

Joe Blogs
6th October 2005, 19:49
The RS250 (pic 1)

NSR250 (pic 2)

What 1 do u like the most?

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 19:52
mmmmm . mc21
keep in mind , my mc21 wiped the floor witth rs250s at king of ruapuna last yr

ZorsT
6th October 2005, 20:02
The RS250 (pic 1)

NSR250 (pic 2)

What 1 do u like the most?
I would like the NSR with the RS pipes....

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 20:04
tyga do pipes for the nsr that exit both on the same side like the rs

k14
6th October 2005, 20:26
mmmmm . mc21
keep in mind , my mc21 wiped the floor witth rs250s at king of ruapuna last yr
How many rs250's were racing? Only one that I know of from down here and he is a pretty average rider, pretty sure he does lap times around 2.05 at ruapuna, maybe slightly faster. Haven't seen any others in race trim around. Don't think i've seen any nsr's lately for that matter too. Think there is a few rgv's though.

curious george
6th October 2005, 20:28
You should bear in mind that the engines are of about the same generation, RGV, NSR or RS.
Hate to admit it, having an RGV; but I suspect the NSR has the "better" engine, and possible the better road bike. That said, I found it smaller thna the RGV, and less comfortable to ride - personal opinion only.
If it were only one thing, it's the upside downers and huuuge brakes that make it look faster that I liked.
The RS has what, 10 years in chassy development into it, and it shows.
Go for it if you can afford, but the RGV or NSR is not the lesser bike; but will probably cost more to keep up to scratch, as only 12 year ols bikes can.
And if you do get one, Tyga is your friend.
Hope you have a credit card :headbang:

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 20:34
How many rs250's were racing? Only one that I know of from down here and he is a pretty average rider, pretty sure he does lap times around 2.05 at ruapuna, maybe slightly faster. Haven't seen any others in race trim around. Don't think i've seen any nsr's lately for that matter too. Think there is a few rgv's though.
think there where 2 , one kept crashin and think i lapped the other one couple of times so yea , he was pretty average

nsrpaul
6th October 2005, 20:38
You should bear in mind that the engines are of about the same generation, RGV, NSR or RS.
Hate to admit it, having an RGV; but I suspect the NSR has the "better" engine, and possible the better road bike. That said, I found it smaller thna the RGV, and less comfortable to ride - personal opinion only.
If it were only one thing, it's the upside downers and huuuge brakes that make it look faster that I liked.
The RS has what, 10 years in chassy development into it, and it shows.
Go for it if you can afford, but the RGV or NSR is not the lesser bike; but will probably cost more to keep up to scratch, as only 12 year ols bikes can.
And if you do get one, Tyga is your friend.
Hope you have a credit card :headbang:
well said , and tyga rules

k14
6th October 2005, 20:39
think there where 2 , one kept crashin and think i lapped the other one couple of times so yea , he was pretty average
Yeah that would sound about right, think I've lapped him once or twice too. How come you haven't been down this year at all? Next round is a week this sat (15th) then the next is on sunday the 30th. Should come down for one.

nsrpaul
7th October 2005, 14:53
racing has taken a back seat to the morgage this year , but was gunna do a have a go day and try and bring down a group of riders from nelson with me , whens the nxt one of those

k14
7th October 2005, 15:22
Next date of a track day as far as the motorcycling canterbury newsletter is concerned is april 9 next year, fair way off yet.

Joe Blogs
15th October 2005, 16:52
Rs250 owners, just want to know how far you get on a tank of gas, and what it cost to full up?

RoadRocket
15th October 2005, 18:54
$20 will last you 180kms. not sure how how long reserve lasts.

Joe Blogs
16th October 2005, 16:11
Thanks for that, i am guessing that is 96

RoadRocket
16th October 2005, 18:05
Thanks for that, i am guessing that is 96
Yes or better

marty
16th October 2005, 18:44
Rs250 owners, just want to know how far you get on a tank of gas, and what it cost to full up?

why does it matter? you can't get performance out of an oily rag. if you want cheap to run buy a scooter. if you really want performance, just fucking harden up and bite the bullet.

gas is the cheapest consumable. there's 2 stroke oil, tyres, plugs, pistons etc etc.

the rs pisses all over the nsr/rgv on looks - the swing arm and fairings are a work of art.

curious george
17th October 2005, 19:12
Not bad. Iwas lucky to see 120km before I hit reserve...
You got a nice bike there Joe, but it's gonna cost ya.
Pay up, and enjoy it.

nsrpaul
17th October 2005, 19:57
120 - 140 ks for me

Joe Blogs
23rd October 2005, 12:31
RoadRocket, if you dont mind me asking, where did u buy your RS from and what did it cost ya?

Thanks

avgas
23rd October 2005, 12:46
Good tuned 2 stroker will suck the gas, i think my RG150 only got about 6-8k's a litre after i had all the work done to it....but it didnt help me riding the rings off it (rev 10-13k then change gear and repeat.......all the time).

Rode a RS250 back in 99'. It was a 98 RSsomething model with full factory carbon fairings etc. Fuck is was quick. They are really nice....but your looking at shitloads for a niceone. RGV is similar - but no where near the same.

I was dissapointed with the NSR 250, felt like my ol' RG250 that didnt have a wof. But i have been told the motors are ok for fuel econ on those. KR1S was boring too.

the RGV is the good middle ground - as they dont cost an arm or leg

RoadRocket
23rd October 2005, 16:13
RoadRocket, if you dont mind me asking, where did u buy your RS from and what did it cost ya?

Thanks
I got it new from Motorad in Wellington for $14995 last year. I got the 2nd to last one in NZ ever so i dont think you will be able to get a new one.

NSR-Dan
2nd November 2005, 00:17
the rs pisses all over the nsr/rgv on looks - the swing arm and fairings are a work of art.

Now thats just insulting, but yeah you are right hahaha. just do what did, it looks better than a standard nsr and a rs250 put together, gota love Tyga.

its not finished by the way

curious george
2nd November 2005, 06:04
Hey, very very nice! Yo going side by side, or under over pipes?

nsrpaul
2nd November 2005, 19:33
nice choice of bodywork , had it running as 300 yet?

Suney
3rd November 2005, 16:46
Nice bike dan!
How much did it set you back including shipping?

NSR-Dan
3rd November 2005, 18:20
not a 300 yet, just got the 250 engine block replated with new cranks, (the pistons were seized in the barrel).
im a bit short on cash l8tly and will cost about $2000nz for new pistons, heads, bearings ect to fully rebuild the engine.
im also rebuilding the clutch.

tyga has the dyno results on there website with the 300c kit, GP pipes, re-jetting, airbox etc, and it put it jst over 70hp, big jump from stock at 45hp

i might even put nos on it, dont know why, but it will give some boyracers something to think about when they see what they think is a 250 fly past.

i payed $2700 for all the fairings, lights, mirrors, screen, lightened meter stay, lightened fairing stay, lightened subframe, cast iron semi-floating rotors and a second hand tank and sp rear shock, oh and shipping

the seat fairing is half carbon fibre and carbon front wheel hugger

im goin GP style exhausts, nobody will think its an nsr.

thats why im the lucky bstrd that has the numplate "NSR" hehehe

k14
3rd November 2005, 18:32
Man you're a lucky bastard dan. Been fantasising over the 300 kit on tyga website for the last couple of weeks. Pretty expensive mod though and you're never ever going to get even half of your money back on it though. Definately a good way to go, getting a siezed minter from japan. Wouldn't mind the MC28 for the looks, single sided swingarm looks very sexy. Found a place where you can get the 030 race card for about $300 nzd too.

Who knows, maybe in a few years. Keep us informed with your progress.

NSR-Dan
3rd November 2005, 18:40
Will do, ill create my own forum with the bike and progress

if you want the rear swingarm of the 28 i would recomend getting a 21 and put a 28 swing arm on it, itwill bolt right on. i must say the pro-arm is alot heavier though

but over all it will be better because the 21 is easier and cheaper to deristrict. a 21 you just do a wire splice, and the fly wheel is lighter in the 21 than the 28, something alot of people dont realize.

NSR-Dan
3rd November 2005, 19:29
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=19654&highlight=nsr

here is my thread with a few more pics and my plans, and what i have done so far.

Fluffy Cat
4th November 2005, 16:08
Me got best of both worlds RS and NSR.
Both are very good at what they do.The NSR steers quicker the RS brakes better...as for motors they both can be made to go fast but the Honda is better built.Oh and the Honda is tiny and lighter than the RS in race form.
Both bikes are utterly wasted in road trim and need to be made into race bikes asap....
And....
The KR1s is a very fast and very scary bike that goes bang in the night and day or any other time it likes.....

NSR-Dan
13th November 2005, 11:33
Me got best of both worlds RS and NSR.
Both are very good at what they do.The NSR steers quicker the RS brakes better...as for motors they both can be made to go fast but the Honda is better built.Oh and the Honda is tiny and lighter than the RS in race form.
Both bikes are utterly wasted in road trim and need to be made into race bikes asap....
And....
The KR1s is a very fast and very scary bike that goes bang in the night and day or any other time it likes.....

I know what you mean by the RS Brakes quicker, thats why the brakes on my bike are Brembos, same caliper thats of nearly all pre 2001 ducatis, and the RS, and also over sized Cast Iron Rotors