PDA

View Full Version : Bobber Trumpet

mossy1200
20th October 2016, 21:21
Just launched, the Bonneville Bobber, a genuine factory custom, iconic and authentic with tons of attitude. Arriving in nz in 2017.

I do like the look of this Bonneville.

AllanB
20th October 2016, 21:35
Looks pretty cool.

YellowDog
21st October 2016, 06:54
Yes, I got the email on that one too. Looks pretty cool :niceone:

ellipsis
21st October 2016, 08:03
...how to make a previously handsome motorcycle look fucking horrible, more like....

Voltaire
21st October 2016, 09:00
...how to make a previously handsome motorcycle look fucking horrible, more like....

Agreed, clearly cool has changed.

Things that don't do it for me::baby:
brown seats
exhaust wrap
lack of guards/fenders
stupid sideways numberplates
oversized tyres
digital speedos
steam punk

Peak Bonnie was 1969, the rest since are just fat pigs.:rolleyes:

Cosmik de Bris
21st October 2016, 10:11
That style doesn't do it for me, all I can see is a fat american sitting on it.

YellowDog
21st October 2016, 14:05
That style doesn't do it for me, all I can see is a fat american sitting on it.

Well yes, it is certainly designed for the US market and I think it looks the part too.

For me, the most annoying feature is the seat.

So far as an older Bonnevilles go, I rode an SE a coupe of years ago and (apart from the sound) it was streets ahead of the Bonnevilles of the 60s and 70s. No oil leaks either :niceone:

Akzle
21st October 2016, 14:19
a genuine factory custom

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/f3/f3f4906473b6d20ec18fa8f513698099b4ef851292414afcb6 53449f311b875f.jpg

Blackbird
21st October 2016, 14:50
So far as an older Bonnevilles go, I rode an SE a coupe of years ago and (apart from the sound) it was streets ahead of the Bonnevilles of the 60s and 70s. No oil leaks either :niceone:

Ditto. 18 months ago, Hamilton Motorcycles gave me a demo bonnie whilst my Street Triple was being serviced. I was seriously impressed with just how nice it was to ride both in town and on the open road. Relatively low seat height was perfect for my height too.

Can't say that the bobber causes a stirring in the loins but I'm seriously thinking of replacing the GSX-S 1000 with a 1200 Bonnie next year.

Voltaire
21st October 2016, 15:08
Well yes, it is certainly designed for the US market and I think it looks the part too.

For me, the most annoying feature is the seat.

In the same way the 'new' Beetle and Mini are I suppose....a sad but reliable reflection of what once was cool.;)

This is a Triumph Bonneville.
http://www.britishcyclerepair.com/files/1968_Bonneville_rebuild28.JPG

The hinckley ones are nice tribute bikes.
I had a Thruxton pretty freking boring bike. Can't believe I traded my Ducati 900ssie on it.

Big Dog
21st October 2016, 17:51
Not my cup o chai... but then it would be boring of they all were.
Nice to see a factory effort though.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

AllanB
21st October 2016, 20:33
more images

HenryDorsetCase
21st October 2016, 21:17
This is a Triumph Bonneville.

Incorrect.

That year Bonneville should have at least 4 imperial tablespoons of oil underneath it.

I reckon its been photoshopped

mossy1200
21st October 2016, 22:22
Incorrect.

That year Bonneville should have at least 4 imperial tablespoons of oil underneath it.

Wouldn't hey drain the oil the roll it to a fresh piece of ground for the photo after a quick wipe.

Swivel
21st October 2016, 23:28
Never liked the bobber style bikes but this doesn't look too bad I guess.

YellowDog
22nd October 2016, 07:13
Incorrect.

Naaaa.... The bike was pushed forward 30 seconds before the photo :niceone:

Tazz
22nd October 2016, 07:52
In the same way the 'new' Beetle and Mini are I suppose....a sad but reliable reflection of what once was cool.;)

At least they can hide behind a bunch of modern performance, function and safety features. Modern takes on classic motorcycles fall short on that.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd October 2016, 09:56
At least they can hide behind a bunch of modern performance, function and safety features. Modern takes on classic motorcycles fall short on that.

Triumph Street Twin and Thruxton R call bullshit on that. Also Ducati Scrambler

AllanB
22nd October 2016, 16:24
I'm all for the history and a modest Sunday jaunt on a old classic. But in the daylight they are lacking compared to modern bikes - cool for sure, but lacking in brakes, frames, reliability, oil tightness, vibrations etc .......

They are what they are - once road rulers, now collectibles and nostalgic machines.

Enjoy.

I read recently the 1989 Mazda Mx5 is the car to buy for future investment.

tri boy
22nd October 2016, 17:49

An article in "Hairdresser Weekly" maybe?

AllanB
22nd October 2016, 17:55
An article in "Hairdresser Weekly" maybe?

Ha - pretty sure the MX5 is one soft top that has avoided that reputation. Hairdressers prefer the hardtops so they don't mess up their hair - Audi TT is a favorite apparently.

I noticed a anniversary model Hinckley for sale recently at a silly price just because of the anniversary badge. Nothing special otherwise. Harley run a anniversary model every friggen five years!

Voltaire
22nd October 2016, 19:24
Incorrect.

Yet no one wants the muted sound of the new one. personally give me the smell of oil on hot metal any day over sanitised retro bikes pretending to be of another age.
oils cheap, overpriced Arrows are not.:lol:

AllanB
22nd October 2016, 19:28
Yet no one wants the muted sound of the new one. personally give me the smell of oil on hot metal any day over sanitised retro bikes pretending to be of another age.
oils cheap, overpriced Arrows are not.:lol:

Hmmmmmmmm fair point there! I remember hearing my first Hinckley bonnie - sparrows fart ....

Fixed with a set of pipes of course.

In remember seeing a article in a magazine when the new one came out and it ran a old advert for one of the 60's Bonnies - TT headers only - no stenkin mufflers - they were a optional extra! Oh how times have changed. Now we spend a fortune making them louder than factory.

Voltaire
22nd October 2016, 19:34
I'm all for the history and a modest Sunday jaunt on a old classic. But in the daylight they are lacking compared to modern bikes - cool for sure, but lacking in brakes, frames, reliability, oil tightness, vibrations etc .......

They are what they are - once road rulers, now collectibles and nostalgic machines.

Enjoy.

I'm going to take my 42 year old BMW on a Sunday jaunt in a few weeks, down to the Burt and back. Probably fall to bits at some point..... any beds going in Dunedin...I can bring a bottle of Otago Pinot Noir and some Thai takeaways for a bed :-)

Navy Boy
26th October 2016, 19:55
I bought my T100 Black last year and I really enjoy it for what it is. That is a simple, straight forward machine that looks the part and makes you feel as though it is you the rider who is in charge and not simply along for the ride.

The Bobber looks interesting though one of the latest Street Twins or a 1200 Thruxton does more for me. Still, if it sells and repays their investment then it's got to be good for Triumph and their customers.

Mike.Gayner
26th October 2016, 20:58
Just launched, the Bonneville Bobber, a genuine factory custom

WTF is a "factory custom"? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Akzle
27th October 2016, 02:52

a genuine one, no less.

mossy1200
27th October 2016, 05:52

Pasted from their advert.
You would think that implies they are only making one perhaps. Or each one will be made different.

Paul in NZ
27th October 2016, 06:46
Incorrect.

It wouldn't have those awful indicators either...

Voltaire
27th October 2016, 06:51
Pasted from their advert.
You would think that implies they are only making one perhaps. Or each one will be made different.

Custom...another word hijacked by the Marketing Department.
Probably started when they put " The Fastest Motorcycle in the World " on the tank of a late 50's Thunderbird :laugh:

Imagine the outcry when they called this POS a Spitfire...only thing it spat was oil.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Triumph_Spitfire_MkIV_in_Morges_2012_-_2.jpg

saying that, it was probably better than what bore the Messerschmitt badge.
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/images/schmitt-service-00.jpg

Paul in NZ
27th October 2016, 07:07
Triumph Spitfires are actually a pretty good little car.... As is the Herald they are based on.

swarfie
27th October 2016, 07:09
That Bobber thing is another marketing department POS IMO. As my old man would say "wouldn't have one for a wart on me cock":lol:
As far as the Cherman bubble car goes...now that's cool if nothing else and beats a Triumph Spatfur any day:clap:

pritch
27th October 2016, 11:45
Can't say that the bobber causes a stirring in the loins but I'm seriously thinking of replacing the GSX-S 1000 with a 1200 Bonnie next year.

The pictures are very appealing. Then there's this unsolicited recommendation from a happy customer?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152292047308#viTabs_0

Somebody should tell Triumph that "factory custom" is an oxymoron. Excusable for the likes of Kawasaki, but for Triumph who are supposed to be familiar with the language?

Blackbird
27th October 2016, 13:43
The pictures are very appealing. Then there's this unsolicited recommendation from a happy customer?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152292047308#viTabs_0

Somebody should tell Triumph that "factory custom" is an oxymoron. Excusable for the likes of Kawasaki, but for Triumph who are supposed to be familiar with the language?

Just an ordinary 1200 would be fine. Thruxton too hard on the wrists for what I'd use it for

YellowDog
27th October 2016, 14:10
Triumph Spitfires are actually a pretty good little car.... As is the Herald they are based on.

My neighbour had a Vitesse that rusted to buggery. I found the Spitfire a little too small for comfort :rolleyes:

Paul in NZ
27th October 2016, 14:49
My neighbour had a Vitesse that rusted to buggery. I found the Spitfire a little too small for comfort :rolleyes:

Was there a car of that era that didn't rust?

Voltaire
27th October 2016, 14:56
Was there a car of that era that didn't rust?

Daimler SP250, Corvette and beach buggies oh and Reliant Robins :msn-wink:

I had a VW....there was a knack to keeping swing axles on the ground, similar to riding a shaft

drive bike.

Paul in NZ
28th October 2016, 07:09
Daimler SP250, Corvette and beach buggies oh and Reliant Robins :msn-wink:

I had a VW....there was a knack to keeping swing axles on the ground, similar to riding a shaft

drive bike.

Yeah - those early fibreglass bodies were 100% maintenance free... cough.... Delamination anyone?? The chassis had a few rot issues though...

As for the Daimler, it has a great motorcycle connection in that Edward Turner designed the engine which is effectively 4 Triumph 650's in a V.... Brings us back in a neat circle to where we started eh??

YellowDog
28th October 2016, 07:24
A mate of mine had a Daimler Double-Six. You could sit on 100mph, with the air con on and watch the speedo go from full to empty in a matter of minutes.

We dumped the engine for a Chev 350. Took about 8 weekends to fit. Would have been half the time, without the learning experiences.

BUT wow - what a difference in all respects.

UK engineering, of the seventies, is best avoided, like the plague :o

BUT I suspect this new Bobber from Triumph is going to do very well indeed :niceone:

Hemi Makutu
28th October 2016, 21:56
A mate of mine had a Daimler Double-Six. You could sit on 100mph, with the air con on and watch the speedo go from full to empty in a matter of minutes.

We dumped the engine for a Chev 350. Took about 8 weekends to fit. Would have been half the time, without the learning experiences.

BUT wow - what a difference in all respects.

UK engineering, of the seventies, is best avoided, like the plague :o

BUT I suspect this new Bobber from Triumph is going to do very well indeed :niceone:

Triumph did 'custom' back in the `70s with the Vetter Hurricane triple, & later the 'chopper look' T 140D..

As for phillistines not knowing how to tune a V12, this one appears to have its rev meter go from empty to full, pretty quick..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I7GWllPFY