PDA

View Full Version : I wanna race!!!!!!

kneescraper
3rd February 2004, 10:08
First off nice forum guys, mine is www.forum.yamahaforever.com please have alook and join up if you like.

I would like to know how can I get into street racing. I dont know what class is best for me. I am 20 years old and would like to end up racing in the top class of The Battle Of The Streets against Tony Rees :soon: .

How do I start out and what bike would be best starting in. I dont want to turn my bike into a racer because then I wouldnt beable to get to work :eek5: . I have seen the little RGV150s and KR150s race but I think im alittle to big for them and dont think they would do anything for me. I would like to try out 400cc.

Any any help on how to get into it or sites to look at would be good. I live in Gisborne so there isnt much in the way of racers here.

gpercivl
3rd February 2004, 10:32
Gisborne has a great street circuit...I raced it first time last year and thought it was the best track of all 3 BOS circuits.

First you need to join a motorcycle club. Over your way Pacific MC Club should be the go, they run events at Taupo each year which is where you'll need to start before you can go out street racing. I'm in Auckland MC Club which has a strong road race focus, but any club that is affiliated with MNZ can get you the next part of what you need...your race license from MNZ (cost $80).

Next you'll need to think about how much money you want to spend...the Street Stock 150cc class is a very good starting point, you can get a very good machine for about $2000 and I've seen some quite large size people racing them in the top 5 places at meetings, plus some clubs also race them at 'Bucket' meetings on local go-kart tracks...some of our up and coming top riders learned their trade here (Karl Morgan, the Robinson boys etc..)

You'll need good gear too... leathers new ~$1500 to 2000, 2nd Hand $500, boots ~$200, gloves ~$100, back protector ~250, helmet (as much as you can afford) ~$500 to $1000.

So look at blowing somewhere between $3500 to $5000 to get started...still interested??

Formula 3 can be a low cost place to start, I'm running an FZR400 ~$6000 after adding good suspension, tyres, etc...but you can run 250cc two strokes, up to 450cc four cylinder four strokes, and SV-650's.

The SV's are cleaning up in this class at present, but Andy Bolwell on a bored Kawasaki 400 (450cc) won plenty of races at the Nats too!!

Any questions, I'd be happy to let you know, cheers, Greg

Kwaka-Kid
3rd February 2004, 12:21
kneescraper, as a new racer myself (5 official club races now and 5 odd months) i can say it COSTS and it COSTS! so be prepared... after that, in my opinion i think you are entering racing a little too keen on the idea of racing the best "soon"... i spose it all comes down to skill/how fast you learn, but realistically its a massive goal dude, i went out there kinda thinking the same sorta thing, just wanted to be good good good... but it just isnt that easy. Something ive noticed is that my views have definatly changed on why i go racing etc, and id imagine yours could too... Im not out there just enjoying the race for last place but hell id just about pay all that money to meet the people and enjoy how social the whole KB/F3 race thing is... its a great learning experience for me and im sure it would be for you-so my advice is just get out there cheaply (i.e SS150 if real cheap, or F3 if you want to join the KBF3 ranks) and get your first taste of a race weekend. Im not so sure about your street race idea.. gpercivil might be able to tell you but i thought you needed to complete a certain amount of circuit races first? and to be honest, streets scare the crap outta me... poles/footpaths/manholes? erm.. maybe in a years time when ive had more experience and can keep up with the F3 pace.
cheers dude, best of luck on the issue.

svs
3rd February 2004, 13:08
First you need to join a motorcycle club.

What's the difference between the clubs if your main reason for joining is the race license. Manfeild is the nearest track to me, does going for the local club help? or the one that does the most for road racing?

Asking because I've just got bluninja's old SV to join the F3 crowd and still need to get the race license sorted. see you :soon:

svs
3rd February 2004, 13:11
gpercivil might be able to tell you but i thought you needed to complete a certain amount of circuit races first?

Apparently you need to complete 3 races before being allowed on the street circuits.

In the UK I had to complete 15 races before they ley you take off your bright orange novice vest! Things are a bit more relaxed in NZ.

matthewt
3rd February 2004, 13:14
What's the difference between the clubs if your main reason for joining is the race license. Manfeild is the nearest track to me, does going for the local club help? or the one that does the most for road racing?

I don't know much about the various clubs but a strong one for racing at manfeild (and local to Wgtn) would have to be www.vicclub.com

bluninja
3rd February 2004, 13:17

Asking because I've just got bluninja's old SV to join the F3 crowd and still need to get the race license sorted. see you :soon:
svs, if you are going to race in the Manfeild winter series then joining Vic club probably makes most sense as your entry into their series is cheaper if you are a member of their club(well it was last year). Other than that it's just price, and what you think you're getting for your membership fee. If you go to the Vic club site you can download the application form and just post it to them.

gpercivl
3rd February 2004, 14:44
Yep, I agree with all those posts above, go with the closest club that supports whatever racing you're into...you can get to the closer clubs easily and meet lots of people that will soon get you started (some people get membership at the lowest cost club's at the far end of the country or MX club and wonder why they never hear what's happening).

You need 3 road race meetings in your license book before going street racing...it can be more dangerous but it's an awesome feeling to be racing that close to that many people :rolleyes: The distances between corners is very short so you can almost go as fast on a small bike as you can on the 1000's which means lots of close racing for everyone :D

They stuffed around with the classes this year in BOS and I'm still building my 600 so will miss Paeroa :weep: Hopefully Gisborne will be back on next year.

gpercivl
3rd February 2004, 14:46
Hey Si, did I hear you're going back to the UK soon??

LB
4th February 2004, 04:48
Hey SVS - will have a look out for you at the next Manfeild day - I'll recognise the bike!!

Kwaka-Kid
4th February 2004, 11:18
as will I! but hopefully up here @ pukekohe. Cant wait to get out @ puke again.