PDA

View Full Version : Well, Hitcher...

Big Dave
5th October 2005, 12:28
If the face of your 'relentless' criticism of the site, we've given
www.whites.co.nz
a bit of a massage.

The 'what's new' page now has the current adverts and the links page has been updated.

We hope, pray, and self flagellate in anticipation of your satisfaction.

Sniper
5th October 2005, 12:30
What happened to the tough bikers you told me about yesterday :p

Big Dave
5th October 2005, 12:37
What happened to the tough bikers you told me about yesterday :p

What? - you think I really give a f*** ?
- see. it's easy.

WRT
Maybe you should hire him to proo (http://www.whites.co.nz/price_lists/teknic.htm) read? ;)

TonyB
Looks good to me. Nice theme.
But it does remind me of my site- this page under construction :dodge:

Big Dave
5th October 2005, 12:41
Maybe you should hire him to proo (http://www.whites.co.nz/price_lists/teknic.htm) read? ;)

Hmmm - those price lists are the pages produced 'in house' - excel files saved as html no less. - i'll pass that one on.
And we should probably piss the 'missing' pages right off.
chz

pyrocam
5th October 2005, 12:45
If the face of your 'relentless' criticism of the site, we've given
www.whites.co.nz
a bit of a massage.

The 'what's new' page now has the current adverts and the links page has been updated.

well i like it

is it meant to be WWhites though?

edit:

WRT
5th October 2005, 12:46
. . . excel files saved as html no less . . .

LOL - Always tidy code there! Once had someone ask me to post up a website they had created from using Save as Web Page in Publisher or Powerpoint. 16Mb for less than 10 pages . . . nice . . .

Big Dave
5th October 2005, 12:52
well i like it

is it meant to be WWhites though?

edit:

No it's not - thks will fix

Hitcher
5th October 2005, 19:21
Thanks for the invitation to comment. And I appreciate that it is a "work in progress".

1. It's slow. Even at 800kbits a second. Some of the link pages are even slower.
2. Opening pages in new windows seemed to give Firefox a few hiccups.
3. The type is a bit small. Even on a 21" monitor AND with my eating glasses on, I reckon it's a bit wee.
4. Task 1: Buy a Shoei XR1000 helmet. Price list, good. Size range? This particular page hasn't been updated since November 2004. And pix of what they look like?
5. Task 2: Buy a pair of Teknics GoreTex Cyclone pants. Price list, OK. Size range? And pix of what they look like.
Task 3: Buy a Supertrapp exhaust for a Kawasaki ZRX1200R. Not yet, Hitcher...
6. I would prefer it if new pages didn't open in a new window.

Keep up the good work!

Big Dave
5th October 2005, 21:18
>>1. It's slow. Even at 800kbits a second. Some of the link pages are even slower.
Some of them were created in wxcel. Beyond my brief.

>> 2. Opening pages in new windows seemed to give Firefox a few hiccups.

Yeah - but I have reasons. Works fine in exploder. Memory issues?

>> 3. The type is a bit small. Even on a 21" monitor AND with my eating glasses on, I reckon it's a bit wee.

Yeah - I'll go up one.

>> 4. Task 1: Buy a Shoei XR1000 helmet. Price list, good. Size range? This particular page hasn't been updated since November 2004. And pix of what they look like?

Idea is Use Link to the Shoei site for images.
Have relayed the price list issues.

>> 5. Task 2: Buy a pair of Teknics GoreTex Cyclone pants. Price list, OK. Size range? And pix of what they look like.

Link to the Teknic site.
Have relayed the price list issues. Ivan is on it!

>> 6. I would prefer it if new pages didn't open in a new window.

You mean when opening other sites?

chz

Lias
6th October 2005, 08:55
My 2 cents:

Whats New:
IMO better to have the product images link to the pages too, rather than just the text underneath them.

Pricelists:
Most of the Pricelist links go to "Under Construction" pages, which I personally HATE seeing on a business website and it always puts me off doing business with them. Could be a personal bugbear but its always struck me as being remarkably unprofessional.

Also almost all of them open in a new window as hitcher mentioned, very annoying. I think the shoei page was the only exception, and whilst that opened in the same window, I was rather hoping it would open in a frame that retained the menu/banner areas, but it didnt.

Barkbusters: blank Untitled Document
Metalgear: Redirects to Australian homepage, which is under construction. Surely this should be directing to a pricelist on the whites website (or an evil under consturction page) rather than the companies homepage in aussie?

The Shoei page in particular was VERY slow to display. Not a download issue (works got a 10mb pipe for net access), it seemed to be causing firefox to semi hang. No doubt something to do with crap excel generated files but that one seemed worse than the rest.

It would be nice if the product icons linked to the relevant pricelist page, and if the gear icons linked to all gear of that type regardless of manufacturer (Ie click on the chain pic down the bottom, get all chains, click on the boots, get all boots etc). The best way to do that imo would be to have all their prices in a nice lil SQL database, and pull everything out with PHP but I'll wager thats lightyears outside your brief.

Big Dave
6th October 2005, 14:37
My 2 cents:
but I'll wager thats lightyears outside your brief.

Indeed, it's meant to be a comms, brochure and a portal, the hard data is in the sprint 3 package in the retailers log in area.

There are no more new windows - framed the links page.
Implemented some of the other suggestions and have the much reduced selection of price lists en route. - and that's budget folks.

Next update i'll convert it all to CSS too.

Taaa.

Lou Girardin
6th October 2005, 15:37
Indeed, it's meant to be a comms, brochure and a portal, the hard data is in the sprint 3 package in the retailers log in area.

Taaa.

And even the stocklists get outdated at times. (not just for Whites either).