PDA

View Full Version : Connecting the clutch cable

lukefrompalmy
6th January 2017, 10:27
Hey guys, my clutch cable isn't connected to the engine at the moment and it doesn't seem to reach. I've loosened it at the clutch lever and at the adjustment nut but it is still short by a inch or so. the lever that it attaches to doesn't seem to be able to move to meet it. any ideas? i thought i might have to take the clip off the little lever and connect it first then reattach it or maybe there could be a problem in the crank case? Ill post pictures so you can all tell me how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the obvious answer haha. thanks for any ideas guys.

Shane M
6th January 2017, 10:39
Hey guys, my clutch cable isn't connected to the engine at the moment and it doesn't seem to reach. I've loosened it at the clutch lever and at the adjustment nut but it is still short by a inch or so. the lever that it attaches to doesn't seem to be able to move to meet it. any ideas? i thought i might have to take the clip off the little lever and connect it first then reattach it or maybe there could be a problem in the crank case? Ill post pictures so you can all tell me how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the obvious answer haha. thanks for any ideas guys.
Try taking the cable off the clutch level end and connect to the motor first. I'm no expert

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mike.Gayner
6th January 2017, 11:23
Some background would be nice - did you come back to your bike one day and find the clutch cable had deteached itself? Or are you rebuilding the motor? Is it a new clutch cable?

oldiebutagoody
6th January 2017, 11:32
Some background would be nice - did you come back to your bike one day and find the clutch cable had deteached itself? Or are you rebuilding the motor? Is it a new clutch cable?

What he said........

And also have you somehow managed to route it differently from where it is supposed to go, ie: around something instead of between something?

I'd connect at the clutch end first, then check the routing of the cable, then connect at the lever end. when connecting the lever end take the lever out from its pivot housing and reinstall from there.

My gut feeling if it is the original cable it has been routed incorrectly. If it is a new one it might be wrong one, and you will need to check it for length beside the old one, and then go from there. If it came off the bike in the first place, it will go back on......

Crasherfromwayback
6th January 2017, 15:07
As has already been said by the others mate. Can you maybe give us a pic of the state of things at the handle bar end? For it to be that far short, there's something drastically wrong. Clutch actuation arm at the cases looks to be in the right spot. But you def want to be fitting the bar end last.