PDA

View Full Version : Submarining

Lou Girardin
3rd February 2004, 19:38
Who rode in Mondays rain? I thought I'd need a snorkel.
And it was on a new, unscrubbed front tyre too. :eek:
Lou

erik
3rd February 2004, 20:26
Submarining is bloody right, I saw one car on the way to work stopped, stuck in a big puddle next to Cornwall Park. I didn't see anyone on a motorcycle though. But there was one lady on a bicycle riding through what must've been 30cm deep water.
I was in my boss's van, so I was dry.

MikeL
3rd February 2004, 21:37
I did my usual commute but I think I missed the worst of it as I got to work by 7:45 and I think the heaviest rain and flooding happened after 8. But it was pretty miserable even at 7:30. However I never once thought I would be better off in a car - unlike winter time, when the combination of wet and cold does sometimes make me question my sanity.

Lou Girardin
4th February 2004, 05:53
How did your wet gear hold up, MikeL
Lou

BigB
4th February 2004, 05:59
Rode to work Monday as I do everyday, left Ellerslie at 6.45 arrived Ponsonby 7.00. Pissed down the whole time, synthic jacket fine but pants leaked abit. Lucky no wet ass :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gear was just about dry for the ride home.

MikeL
4th February 2004, 07:12
How did your wet gear hold up, MikeL
Lou

It's only a 10-15 minute ride so the plastic overpants, Teknic jacket and dubbined boots kept the water out. If I'd had to spend an hour in that rain it would have been a different story though. My weak point is gloves, but I carry a spare pair in my backpack anyway.

Gixxer
4th February 2004, 08:32
I think i left when the rain was at its worse.
wets held up well, boots and cloves got a hammering

jrandom
4th February 2004, 10:02
Left about 8:00-ish, I think I caught the worst of it. Wets didn't hold up too well, the front of my trousers under the gear were well soaked. I suspect that could be because my gear is about a size too big for me these days, lost a few kilos since I bought it but I can't afford a whole new set. Had to change into gym shorts when I got to work and dry my pants over the back of my 'puter screen...

Submarining is about the right word for it. I don't recall it being that heavy in quite a while.

Lou Girardin
4th February 2004, 10:20
Mine worked well too. A little water got through the jacket zip in front and one boot leaked.
My hands were still dry, but another 15 minutes would have seen them wet.
Lou

Angry Puppy
4th February 2004, 11:57
It could have been worse. Some fucker broke in to my car on Sunday night and left the doors open! It's almost dry now.

Jackrat
4th February 2004, 12:39
It could have been worse. Some fucker broke in to my car on Sunday night and left the doors open! It's almost dry now.

Oh shit, Welcome to NZ,Watch it mate the prick will probably be back for another go.

Sycophant
4th February 2004, 20:46
I got pretty soaked on Monday morning - thankfully, I to was inside by 8am when the bad stuff really started. Still it took most of my 15 hour work day (don't ask, I worked 16 hours on Tuesday) for my gear to dry on a chair at the back of my edit suite.

MikeL
4th February 2004, 21:12
I got pretty soaked on Monday morning - thankfully, I to was inside by 8am when the bad stuff really started. Still it took most of my 15 hour work day (don't ask, I worked 16 hours on Tuesday) for my gear to dry on a chair at the back of my edit suite.

Hey Sycophant
Are you in TV/video production? I've worked in non-broadcast video off and on since the mid-80s... Got an edit studio at home - mainly old analogue stuff (high band) - makes so much heat it keeps the place really cosy in winter. A good place to dry wet gear...
Mike

Sycophant
5th February 2004, 12:38
Hey Sycophant
Are you in TV/video production? I've worked in non-broadcast video off and on since the mid-80s... Got an edit studio at home - mainly old analogue stuff (high band) - makes so much heat it keeps the place really cosy in winter. A good place to dry wet gear...
Mike

Yeah, I am an online editor for a prolific television production company that shall remain nameless...

I like old analogue stuff :) I used to have a couple of UMatic decks, but they are gone now.

Ms Piggy
5th February 2004, 12:46
I went out on Sunday (1st Feb) here in Wellington & got pretty soaked! It started off not too bad but when I was coming back it was persisting!!! :eek5:

kasper
5th February 2004, 15:13
I went out on Sunday (1st Feb) here in Wellington & got pretty soaked! It started off not too bad but when I was coming back it was persisting!!! :eek5:

I knwo the feeling. hell some of my gear is still drying from the early monday mornign ride.
also had to wear wet boots monday morning as they had been soaked on the saturday on the ride down the state river one. in the rain. (squidgy boots) :sly:

Wonko
5th February 2004, 16:29
Shot down to Ngaruawahia on Sat and back on Sunday in the rain, and the bike gave me no problems. Monday morn sounded funny while warming up, and dies on me at Dominion road, just as the skies opened at 8.

Good news though, new second hand leather jacket doesn't leek a bit, good old hunters and collectors. Leather pants need a bit of waterproofing, any ideas? I've got some beeswax stuff for my boots, will this do my pants to?

Worst thing is I went to pick it up that night, and she started fine, just needed to alter the idle fuel mix.

duckman
5th February 2004, 16:32
Shot down to Ngaruawahia on Sat and back on Sunday in the rain, and the bike gave me no problems. Monday morn sounded funny while warming up, and dies on me at Dominion road, just as the skies opened at 8.

Good news though, new second hand leather jacket doesn't leek a bit, good old hunters and collectors. Leather pants need a bit of waterproofing, any ideas? I've got some beeswax stuff for my boots, will this do my pants to?

Worst thing is I went to pick it up that night, and she started fine, just needed to alter the idle fuel mix.
Yea beeswax ya pants too, but not your but or you'll slide off ya seat :lol:

MikeL
5th February 2004, 19:24

And the wax that comes off your pants onto the tank is a bit of a pain too, but it's worth the hassle. Although I put on plastic overpants if the rain is heavy, the Dubbin on my leather pants prevents them getting wet through in the average shower. Wouldn't have helped Monday morning, though....

Lou Girardin
5th February 2004, 19:40
Anyone see the scene in 'Maybe baby" when Joelly Richardson rides her scooter home after a visit to the gyno and slides off the seat when she hits the brakes?
Lou

PeteThePom
8th February 2004, 22:57
Who rode in Mondays rain? I thought I'd need a snorkel.
And it was on a new, unscrubbed front tyre too. :eek:
Lou
Snorkel? I was looking for a bloody distress buoy!

Coldkiwi
9th February 2004, 12:39
aye, that was some heavy-mother rain! Happily, the one piece rain suit did the job for everything above my ankles (experiment with suit over gloves worked well, takes twice as long to get them on but keeps the water out) and I thankfully took a spare pair of socks. Blimmin happy to see the sun and dry roads on Saturday :D