PDA

View Full Version : Victory being wound up with immediate effect

pritch
10th January 2017, 04:19
It has been reported that Victory motorcycles have ceased production and the company will be wound up immediately. Further details in due course?

If true that's sad.

ruaphu
10th January 2017, 04:31
Bit of a shame, darn good brand.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/january/victory-motorcycles-cease-trading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blatman
10th January 2017, 04:58
It has been reported that Victory motorcycles have ceased production and the company will be wound up immediately. Further details in due course?

If true that's sad.

Jesus, you're right! On first reading I thought it must be BS but nope, what a shocker!
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSFWN1EZ0QK
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/january/victory-motorcycles-cease-trading/

nzspokes
10th January 2017, 05:48
It wasnt a Victory after all.

mojo1444
10th January 2017, 06:20
It seems official... My dream bike Victory no more in production...
Check this News out... You beat me to it...
http://ir.polaris.com/investors/news/news-details/2017/Polaris-Industries-to-Wind-Down-Victory-Motorcycles-Operations-Strengthening-its-Position-in-the-Powersports-Industry/default.aspx
http://ir.polaris.com/investors/news/news-details/2017/Polaris-Industries-to-Wind-Down-Victory-Motorcycles-Operations-Strengthening-its-Position-in-the-Powersports-Industry/default.aspx

skippa1
10th January 2017, 07:07
Probably get flamed but owned one for 12 months so feel the opinion is valid.

I was speaking to someone in Oamaru last week and I mentioned my old Victory. He excitedly asked about it as he had thought of buying one. My anwer was " everyone that owns one talks them up and makes a comparison with HD almost like they are trying to convince themselves they had spent wisely"
I brought mine because it was not an HD, in fact I traded an HD to buy it. It was comfortable and had clean build lines. It shared common oil for gbox and engine and you didnt have to pull the whole thing to pieces to change a drive belt or clutch.
After 12 months of shit lean angles, issues getting parts, dealers closing and opening, blown fork seals at 6000kms, porous head castings that leaked oil all over the joint (and cost $2500 for one head to be replaced...and no dealer suport on this) I traded it back in on an HD. Went to deliver and exchange fo my new bike, clutch cable broke on the way. The guy that brought it from the dealer had more issues with oil seeping out of porous heads and a gbox seal blew and dumped the oil onto the back wheel. They have always had a flimsy existance in NZ, witness the number of dealers that tried and failed, they tried to go head to head with HD but as all brands that try this find, unless you have a whole lot of other styles of bike in the range, you wont build a bike that can stand alone against HD.

in short I am not surprised at this announcement and would not be surprised if Indian followed suit.

awayatc
10th January 2017, 07:39
It is for Harley....

pritch
10th January 2017, 08:34
Yeah it will make life easier for Harley - and Indian which is partly what it's about. I was reluctant to post the news when I intitially saw it, then I saw David Emmett, a noted moto journo, comment and thought it could be true.

Mike.Gayner
10th January 2017, 08:53
And nothing of value was lost.

Crasherfromwayback
10th January 2017, 09:08
Re sale value of them will go through the floor. Not that it was great before.

old slider
10th January 2017, 09:21
Re sale value of them will go through the floor. Not that it was great before.

Maybe it will make the victory become a collectors item?

Moi
10th January 2017, 09:26
At least Indian continues...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/polaris-stops-victory-motorcycles-production-114457.html

Crasherfromwayback
10th January 2017, 09:31

Not gonna happen.

ellipsis
10th January 2017, 09:39

...I'm sure they will... dust collectors in sheds, taking up a lot of room...

old slider
10th January 2017, 09:48
...I'm sure they will... dust collectors in sheds, taking up a lot of room...

They might become popular with a HD engine transplant.

Voltaire
10th January 2017, 14:23
It would be interesting to know how much better the sales are for Indian in comparison. The Indians are a better looking bike in my opinion.

And a much valued opinion I might add :lol:

AllanB
15th January 2017, 21:05
It would be interesting to know how much better the sales are for Indian in comparison. The Indians are a better looking bike in my opinion.

I talked to Derek Peterson, a spokesman for the company, and he didn’t mince words.

“Victory accounted for 3 percent of Polaris revenue in 2015. That’s after 18 years. Combined, Indian and Slingshot accounted for 12 percent in 2015, after just a few years for each,” Peterson said.

Full writing here: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/indians-victory?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1/14/2017%20-%20CT&utm_term=Common%20Tread%20%7C%20Combined

awayatc
16th January 2017, 07:31
Helps that Indian is an old brand.
Bikes like HD and Indian need that nostalgic link with the past to attract customers
Victory didn't have that....and just trying to be better then HD was never going to be enough...

Never liked the Victory enough to get tempted.
And the redicilously elaborate drive belt replacement have put me of Harleys....
So wouldn't mind owning an Indian,
If only I could afford one.....

YellowDog
16th January 2017, 07:49
Sad news indeed. I guess there are just too many players in this field. The Jap versions can't have helped in their battle. Particularly with them being fully featured and reliable :blink:

scumdog
16th January 2017, 08:17
Sad news indeed. I guess there are just too many players in this field. The Jap versions can't have helped in their battle. Particularly with them being fully featured and reliable :blink:

But..but...but they're still Japs!:rofl:

pritch
19th January 2017, 11:32
Never liked the Victory enough to get tempted.
And the redicilously elaborate drive belt replacement have put me of Harleys....
So wouldn't mind owning an Indian,
If only I could afford one.....

The Indian is not my kind of bike but I could live with a Scout. That said, this is almost everything I would think silly on a bike but strangely I like it. It'd be no good round here but if I lived in Arizona or West Australia..... or Canterbury?

mossy1200
19th January 2017, 19:40
Surprised me to hear a Victory advert on the radio today for Wellington Motorcycles. The add sounded like Victory was the future of cruising.

AllanB
19th January 2017, 21:36
Surprised me to hear a Victory advert on the radio today for Wellington Motorcycles. The add sounded like Victory was the future of cruising.

Probably paid for their advertising space late last year in a Christmas special!

Victory.

Fail.

Shame - they were bringing out some cool scoots.

Crasherfromwayback
20th January 2017, 09:23

Probably paid for their advertising space late last year in a Christmas special!

They'll be wanting out of their existing stock asap. Won't be an easy sell.

Tazz
20th January 2017, 13:23
Shame - they were bringing out some cool scoots.

Yeah they had some farkin awesome looking designs, as far as cruisers go.

geoffc
7th February 2017, 12:34
Yeah sad to read about the demise of Victory after 18 years. I love my Victory so plan to hang on to it and just keep riding. :yes:
Will it become collectable? Maybe. Mine is a Zach Ness signature series Victory Vegas so I know there isn't too many of them out there anyway. Part of the charm.

GrayWolf
18th February 2017, 00:09
But..but...but they're still Japs!:rofl:

that's just what the British bike industry said in the 1960/70's :shutup: